Code of Conduct

Default dunhill london is crap

, there's not much more to say. It's the same tired old bag of cheap synthetics (the ever-present calone and dihydromercenol). An insult to London, to what dunhill used to be, to the English rose this supposedly embodies. It smells pretty much like your generic, 1.99 drugstore showergel. The kind of junk that has given "designer fragrances" the reputation they enjoy, at least in my book. My advice: stick with Burberry Brit. That's a designer fragrance which managed to capture an English spirit and modernize it, turning a profit, surely, but without abandoning any and all quality standards or willingness to be original. I'm not even going to mention genuine rose fragrances in the same breath as this garbage.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 3rd April 2008 at 04:35 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Default Re: dunhill london is crap

One more nail in the coffin of designer fragrances.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

There've been a good deal of very good designer frags in the last couple years, notably '06. From '06 alone came Prada, Burberry London, and Antidote.

I don't think you can write off designers as a whole just yet.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Well that was to the point.

Great review. I like one that has an opinion and lays it down. Here's my favorite line:

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    An insult to London, ...
    If it's that bad they should have named it for where I live: "Dunhill Washington, DC." Yukkers.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I have to agree. I didn't expect much from it, and that's what it delivered.

The clerks here are pushing it heavily. Everywhere I go they dump 4 or 5 samples in my bag, so I've worn it several times. It seemed so weak to me that I once used an entire sample vial on a single application.

I'm sure some people will like it, but it is so feeble and utterly nondescript that it's difficult to talk about. I suppose I'd call it a vaguely oriental fragrance with some fruity and fougere-like elements.

If you want something named London, stick with Paul Smith or Burberry, both of which are much better than the Dunhill.

I just can't bring myself to wear Burberry at all - it has such negative connotations of being chavvy in the UK. For US readers that's like trailer trash.

I like the classic Dunhill fragrance and used to wear it, just haven't got any in my wardrobe currently.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    If you want something named London, stick with Paul Smith or Burberry, both of which are much better than the Dunhill.
    Hear, hear.

So far the only Dunhill frags I've found worth purchasing are the original Dunhill for Men and Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I have to agree. I didn't expect much from it, and that's what it delivered.

The clerks here are pushing it heavily. Everywhere I go they dump 4 or 5 samples in my bag, so I've worn it several times. It seemed so weak to me that I once used an entire sample vial on a single application.

I'm sure some people will like it, but it is so feeble and utterly nondescript that it's difficult to talk about. I suppose I'd call it a vaguely oriental fragrance with some fruity and fougere-like elements.

Can't wait to try it, Joe.

Well, I just got Paul Smith London. I agree, it is a solid scent with great longevity. If it's not too hot tomorrow I will wear it.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

You got it t_g_l.

I got a sample in the post and it is unbelievably rubbish. Why do people bother with this nonsense?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I haven't tried this one, but the last few Dunhill frags I've sniffed were some of the most annoying frags ever. One of them, it may have been Dunhill Fresh, could be the most irritating fragrance I've ever smelled. Makes me sick even thinking about it. Believe it or not, I actually thought X-Centric was a decent fragrance at one time.

Oh, yes. This makes crap smell good.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

I wonder why I am not surprised.

You pulled no punches in your short review. Thanks for the warning.

The only dunhill I that retained my attention was Dunhill Edition. I haven't been able to try Dunhill 1934, which I understand is a notable fragrance.

I so agree with this thread.

This dunhill stuff and Davidoff Adventure just touched down here. I walked in smelled them and knew why I had lost my way with fragrances for a while. I am so tired of these poor releases especially with my being so isolated from great fragrances.

Of course all the summer crap will be coming out summer this and summer that...geesh man..Can't wait till my next trip...something has to give....

Best,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

I know everyone hates it but can some one discribe the scent to me? I have never tested it and would like to read a review then just its "crap".

thank you
    scentimus

Let's face it--ever since Dunhill lost their tittle (some trademark infringement, I imagine), their scents have been, well..... crap. They need to dot their i and get their mojo back.

dunhill has been horrible as of late, the scents and the brand image don't even match at all anymore...

shame, their leather goods rock.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Great review. I like one that has an opinion and lays it down. Here's my favorite line:

If it's that bad they should have named it for where I live: "Dunhill Washington, DC." Yukkers.
    --Chris
    What, now you're dissing our beautiful nation's capital?

I don't know about the rest, but Dunhill Edition is a very good perfume. One of my favorites.

Lucius
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 5th April 2008 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    , there's not much more to say. It's the same tired old bag of cheap synthetics (the ever-present calone and dihydromercenol). An insult to London, to what dunhill used to be, to the English rose this supposedly embodies. It smells pretty much like your generic, 1.99 drugstore showergel. The kind of junk that has given "designer fragrances" the reputation they enjoy, at least in my book. My advice: stick with Burberry Brit. That's a designer fragrance which managed to capture an English spirit and modernize it, turning a profit, surely, but without abandoning any and all quality standards or willingness to be original. I'm not even going to mention genuine rose fragrances in the same breath as this garbage.
    I concur with your review, I got a sample of it and I was sure it was mislabeled, so I went back to the store and tried a spritz from the tester bottle. OMG what vile stuff! How does Dunhill expect to turn a profit with this stuff?
    Last edited by greendragon; 5th April 2008 at 06:31 PM.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    I don't know about the rest, but Dunhill Edition is a very good perfume. One of my favorites.

Lucius
    Yes, Dunhill edition and the original 1934 cologne are excellent.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

It might be me, but it smells like a poor man's version of West Side.