Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Do you ever smell other people wearing niche fragrances?

I can pretty much only really say that I've smelled a couple people wearing niche...One was Creed MI, and one was wearing Tea For Two, but honestly I can't really say that I ever catch people wearing anything other than designer fragrances most of the time.

Default Re: Do you ever smell other people wearing niche fragrances?

Good question.
    My answer is - never.
    Renato

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Good question.
    My answer is - never.
    Renato
    Same here. I smell Acqua di Gio and Curve the most, but those are far from niche.

On a flight recently, I smelled a woman wearing AdP Colonia. It brought a smile to my face.
    Last edited by OKJazz; 3rd April 2008 at 11:49 PM.

No, never. The most surprised I've ever been is smelling YSL Live Jazz on someone, that's the closest to niche I've ever smelled on someone, ha!
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

It'll be interesting when our European colleagues wake up and come on line. There is an order of magnitude more shops selling niche stuff over there than in my country. I'd expect more positive responses from them.

Though when I was in Italy last year, the only niche stuff I smelled was on my wife and cousins - because I'd bought it for them.

Also, most niche scents don't project that much.
    Renato

In the USA, I am usually the only one wearing EDTs. (I'd say 80% of the people do not use enough to be detectable or any at all).
    In Mexico, well people do not have the same access to niche. However, there is usually plenty overprised designer scents over there.
    So, no I never get to smell something niche.
    Last edited by irish; 4th April 2008 at 12:22 AM.

Never yet, although I keep sniffing around for that ONE whiff...

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I smell Silver Mountain Water and Frederic Malle's Carnal Flower on people more often than I'd like to. A woman in my building bathes in CF and the elevator ride to the lobby is often a real challenge. I love this fragrance, I just wish people knew how strong it really is.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 4th April 2008 at 12:57 AM.

Nada We "Fragrance Enthusiasts" are rare.

This past summer, someone was wearing something niche. I don't know exactly what, but I think it was a Creed.

Dont know if this counts...

I sniffed Creed Love In White on this lass before...
    But i was already expecting it cause she told me beforehand that she had a bottle...
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

The percentage of people that wear niche fragrances is insignificant. Only in rare situations you will find a person wearing them in my natural habitat, academia.

The answer is no.
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 4th April 2008 at 02:35 AM.

In Oklahoma City? Not often, no. I smelled Creed's Millésime Impérial on a lady recently, then on her husband a week or two later. I turned my friend Leslie on to Noir Epices, and she now hoards hers as though it were gold bullion.

There's a very nice frag shop (Mystique Fragrances) at 50 Penn Place here, and the owner (a very nice fellow) told me that he sells a lot of Creed. I think I may have smelled Himalaya on a couple of folks locally, but I could have been smelling Paco Rabanne XS -- I dunno. (The two are SO similar!) Another local shop, Escentials, sells a good deal of Truefitt & Hill.
    (They closed out their stock of Antica Farmacista last year, though.)

I smell a lot more niche frags in the DFW (Dallas/Fort Worth) area when I visit every other month or so. (It's only 3 hours south of OKC.) Last time I went I think I smelled Bois de Portugal (or possibly New York) on at least three different guys.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 4th April 2008 at 03:11 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I have smelled cdg 2 man on someone before, a friend of a friend, thats the only thing I can think of

no. the only thing i smell on people down here is curve, axe and adg.

I recently started working for a new company and our director wears some niche stuff. I haven't commented about it yet, but the first time I met him I could have sworn he was wearing CdG 2man, and I oftentimes smell Original Santal (which I guess *could* be Joop!, but considering his salary I doubt it) The other one in his rotation smells incredible and I would really like to know what it is, but I haven't felt comfortable asking.

The other day he confessed that his wife is a shop-a-holic and can't stay away from Neiman Marcus.. I'm guessing that has a thing or two to do with it.

here in my city - no
    in Moscow I smelled a lot of niche - Lutens, Chanel Exclusifs, Malle, Creed, etc...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

As the first and only shop with niche scents opened last summer in the capitol and I live 200 kms from it, my answer is obvious

Well, of course. Moscow is the most expensive city in the world.

Blog Entries

One of the pharmacists i work with wears erolfa a majority of the time.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

yea...russians love perfume....urban russians of younger generations bathe in fragrance....the more expensive the better...

in NYC....in manhattan specifically i smell niche all the time....Creeds are very popular, i picked up a few lutens.....alot of bond #9.....and surprisingly i have smelled Musc Ravageur on more than one occasion.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

There's one lady at work from whom I've noticed FM Carnal Flower emanating a couple of times. She makes quite the "statement" with it (which I'm not so sure I appreciate) - although CF is an amazing fragrance. I've also smelled Diptyque's Oyedo on another. And another wears Geir Ness (of Norway) fragrance for women "Laila" - and she wears that one alot. I've never smelled Geir on a man here, though. You'd think it would be better known here than it is. I found out about it here on BN!

Quote Originally Posted by smellyliquid View Post
    I have smelled cdg 2 man on someone before, a friend of a friend, thats the only thing I can think of
    same here! I smelled this on someone the first time I met him at a summer music festival and it really opened up a whole new world... It was the first time I'd stumbled upon Luckyscent, trying to find it, and I did, and I bought The only other I've smelled on someone is Creed Original Vetiver. But still, those seem more mainstream niche... I've yet to smell a Lutens, Montale, etc. This was a very interesting question. I think it goes to show that in the end wearing a fragrance is really personal. If someone else catches a whiff, bonus, maybe

In public: twice in four years on men - that isn't much, is it? Both gentlemen had overdone it: one with BdP, and with an overdose of GIT the other. So there may be a lot more wearers, burt one just does not notice them in spacey areas (me hopefully amongst them ;-)). In Europe Creed is about as niche as Hermes was before they flooded department stores with their jardins, terre and river. By the way, the same can be said about Lutens. All major department stores have a Lutens counter now, and the way they are located you'll find them frequented by ladies only. I raise eyebrows talking to strangers about wearing Lutens myself. Their regular line is not considered niche by people nowadays. And terms like unisex, for men and women?? The young crowd may be familiar with that, but most of my friends have never heard about it. And I don't blame them: window displays of Lutens want to catch the eye of a woman!
    Last edited by narcus; 4th April 2008 at 07:56 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

No never...just my best friends, because I told them :-)

In the last couple of months, I have identified: PARIS, 4711, OPIUM PH, and Fracas For Men on strangers. Not so niche around here I guess.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Only twice. Once was original vetiver but I was in a fancy place so that didn't surprise me. Another time was bleeker street. That smelled so good in the air!

As Narcus said: Not often. And when, then its mostly Creed - MI and GIT.

Ah, i've smelt Tabac Blond on one of my teachers once, also smelt Chanel Bois des Iles on her, but thats about as niche as it gets, my dad has 2.5oz bottles of GIT and BdP, and he uses them occasionally.

I've smelled Erolfa on a passerby in Pittsburgh once, and a girl I know (who's also a model and spends a lot of time in NYC) wears Bond No. 9 West Side. Those are the only times I've ever smelled niche fragrances on others.

Living in a college town, it's a sea of Axe, AdG, Armani Code, and Abercrombie Fierce for the guys and Victoria's Secret Love Spell on the ladies. One time I smelled a kid wearing Kouros, and he put waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy too much on- it was like a chemical weapons attack. A real shame, because it was the only "good" (in my opinion) fragrance I've ever smelled on someone in this town (besides the model that wears West Side). Once I smelled a girl wearing Joop!, which really fit her well though she had way too much on (seems to be a problem with the kids these days)

Although I live in London, I almost never smell anyone wearing anything which is other than mainstream. I think if I worked in the city I would. I'm probably the best smelling man on London's streets that I meet most days...

I do smell some great women though, maybe London's women smell better than the men?

Absolutely never. I rarely encounter any one wearing fragrance period.

Sur la Plage

Not once that I can remember.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I've a co-worker who is an Imperial devotee.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Since Barneys opened in San Francisco last fall, I have smelled a few, usually downtown in the shopping or business districts. The things I've smelled have mostly been L'Artisan or Éditions de Parfums Frédéric Malle stuff. It used to be more Creeds from the Neiman's set. Some younger guys I have encountered wearing CdG scents mostly in the gay venues, since (besides Barneys) some are sold at Rolo in the Castro...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Never. People use products from "Lacoste", "Dunhill" and "Hugo Boss" here in Tehran.
    Sometimes I smell something like "Love In White" -and others- from creed on wealthy women! But let me say I don't consider creed a niche brand any more!

I'll comment only on the guys that wear stuff here... I smelled Dior Homme on like 2 dudes, TdH on one, Aqua Di Gio on a few, Bvlgari Aqva pour homme on a former class mate. Now, as msi said, most people wear either fragrance made by sports shit, Lacoste or whatever.

Oh, there are LOTS of fakes here. Like I could get you 100 fake bottles in under 2 hours. lol

I have smelled Angel twice, Pink Sugar, Joop and John Varvatos at work, and last week I smelled one from L´Artisan Parfumeur.

The only niche you can get in iceland is LAP, Annick Goutal and Acqua di Parma. I think even Joop and John Varvatos are hard to get and were probably brought along from overseas. There simply isn´t a lot of choice here when it comes to high end perfumes, even designer stuff.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Never, but it would be a refreshing change

My wife . Because I bought her Rousse.
    Otherwise: like narcus, two men in four years. Once it was Yatagan, which qualifies as niche for me in this context , and recently I was certain to smell Musc Ravageur. But mostly it's an aquatic ocean, spotted by a few guys overspritzing really sweet stuff like Joop. I really wonder how Aus Liebe zum Duft can stay in business
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

A young middle eastern woman in a shopping mall close to us was wearing Vetiver Extraordinaire about a month ago. I was flabberghasted!

AromiErotici

Never have smelled it on anyone. It's rare here in Montana to come across men wearing any type of frag at all.

I'll occasionally get a whiff of someone wearing Hugo or (once) Opium, but out here, it's all-naturale except for yours truly.
    Last edited by AromiErotici; 24th September 2008 at 02:13 PM.

No. Not much else I can say.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Blog Entries

that's funny...i go out quite a bit and never smell anything too special....i have caught a whiff of Bond No. 9 Great Jones before....but then i realised it was PROBABLY Paco Rabanne actually.

My real estate agent wears Varvatos....

i think here, it really depends on the 'scene' you're into.....we go out mainly to rock and roll shows, and underground dj sets and stuff----where wearing fragrances isn't really the 'in' thing to do.....but i wear em, and i wear em with pride!

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    yea...russians love perfume....urban russians of younger generations bathe in fragrance....the more expensive the better...

in NYC....in manhattan specifically i smell niche all the time....Creeds are very popular, i picked up a few lutens.....alot of bond #9.....and surprisingly i have smelled Musc Ravageur on more than one occasion.

I smelled a wonderful scent from a color guy a few weeks ago. I wasn't sure between Creed GIT and Cool Water. I only know that the scent really went well with his skin.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

My best friend wears Green Irish Tweed, but only on special occasions. He will not wear it out on social occasions, nights out, though because of the stigma that 'bears' place on fragrance use. He is a cub.
    I guess you don't want to cross a bear huh?

I wish. I smell Angel, Chance, & others like that.
    Men wear more interesting scents in my experence, but nothing I would call "niche".

Actualy we have a wonderful place to buy scents here:
    http://www.theperfumehouse.com/

So I should start sniffing more pretty necks just to be sure!

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    that's funny...i go out quite a bit and never smell anything too special....i have caught a whiff of Bond No. 9 Great Jones before....but then i realised it was PROBABLY Paco Rabanne actually.

My real estate agent wears Varvatos....

i think here, it really depends on the 'scene' you're into.....we go out mainly to rock and roll shows, and underground dj sets and stuff----where wearing fragrances isn't really the 'in' thing to do.....but i wear em, and i wear em with pride!
    I'm right there with you. Men don't wear anything & if a girl in the scene wears a scent it's a Chanel product you can get at Nordies most times. & I'm not saying thats a bad thing. I would rather smell 1,OOO Chanel No. 5s then a cheap body spray from V.S.
    Do you notice that too?

You are in NYC? Go see my friend E*Rock here:
    SEP 27 TERMINAL 5, NEW YORK, NEW YORK

Great guy! Dosn't know a thing about perfumes but smells sooooo good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DebraJean View Post

You are in NYC? Go see my friend E*Rock here:
    SEP 27 TERMINAL 5, NEW YORK, NEW YORK

Great guy! Dosn't know a thing about perfumes but smells sooooo good.
    i would go to that...but i'll be in san diego for this weekend.

i agree with you about women and chanel 5. it's the MOST annoying thing in the world to hear two women talking and one asks "what's that your wearing? it smells great" and the other will say "chanel no.5" as if it is something SOOOO on the cutting edge. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I really wonder how Aus Liebe zum Duft can stay in business
    Because of people like you and me...

Only time I'm sure to have smelled a 'niche' scent was in January 2006, at the Teatro La Fenice in Venice. (Was a piano récital with works by Brahms, if I remember correctly.) The man sitting next to me wore Opus 1870 (Penhaligon's).

Only once and it was GIT. The most recent time I recognized a frag it was The Dreamer on a consierge at a local hotel.

I smelled Millesime Imperial on a hipster guy once, SMW on a passing dressed up guy another time, Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien on a woman in a restaurant, and something I thought was Mure et Musc on a woman walking her fancy dog in the fancy part of town.

That's all the fancy scent sniffings I've come across. The best time was smelling the Eau d'Hadrien. My friends and I were waiting in line for a table and I kept sending them one by one over to stand around the woman wearing it so they'd know it. Made for good fun.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I smelled himalaya on a architecture classmate of mine in lecture hall

but what are the odds that a person would wear niche, the odds of the knowing which niche the person is wearing, and the odds that you two meet?
    Last edited by supracuhz; 24th September 2008 at 06:59 PM.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Very rarely. I smelled someone walking on Robertson wearing Musc Ravageur and I think the woman thought I was insane when I correctly identified it.

Very rarely do I smell scent on people, but I think at least two women that work at the magazine we share a building with do. I have no idea who they are or what the scents are, but I get whiffs sometimes from the sillage they leave behind.

Where I am from, if others can smell your perfume, you are outcasted !!

At about mile 7 or 8 in the half marathon I ran last weekend I smelled, very clearly, L'Air Du Desert Marocain. I hadn't worn the scent in a long time, so I know it wasn't some residual juice flaring up on my skin from the heat and sweat. I can't imagine anyone wearing that to run though, and I never could pinpoint where it was coming from. It was strange.. but put a smile on my face (thankfully it was just a whiff here and there, anymore would have been suffocating given the circumstances and would have turned me off to the scent.)
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Once. A customer and I were discussing Andy Warhol. She invited me to lean in and smell her neck. It was Bond No. 9 Silver Factory. I was wearing it also. We now sniff each other when she comes in.

Waitress at Vindaloo was wearing MKK; lady at the gift shop was wearing Voleur de Rose; talior where i get clothes altered was wearing Musk Ravageur and more recently something e lse quite yummy that I didn't feel up to asking but maybe I'll get my nerve up next time.