Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The new Incense Extreme by Tauer

I was lucky enough to win a sample of Incense Extreme by Andy Tauer from Andy's blog and have given it a few full days of wearing.

The title Incense Extreme gets right to the point doesn't it? When I heard that Andy was creating an 'extreme' incense scent I got excited. He dazzled me (and many here on BN) with L'Air du desert Marocain and it's dry amber, tar and spices, He is also responsible for the legendary Orris (now discontinued).

I must admit that incense fragrances were part of what I first discovered here at BN. Most of the fragrances I bought at department stores never marketed themselves as incense scents, I just assumed noone made incense fragrances. I kept reading about the Comme des Garcons Incense Series (on BN and elsewhere) and all of the rave reviews they were getting. To this day, I still remember the first time I smelled Avignon and its strange power it held over me the entire afternoon I wore it. A few other incense scents have come pretty close to replicating this level of emotion and calmness that Avignon did: Olibanum by Profumum, Black Tourmaline by Olivier Durbano and Messe de Minuit by Etro are a few. Enter: Incense Extreme

The top notes are pretty light-hearted and green to my nose - perhaps its just the way that Andy blended the cedar notes but the way that it charges out at you when you spray it I'd swear there's some galbanum in there also. Maybe it's just my nose...

In a few minutes the heart of the cedar note appears along with the franckincense. The frankincense is IMO, the star of the show. Andy describes the IE frankincense notes as 'rich, crisp, red and intense', which I'm not sure that I agree with. I dont' see 'red' when I smell this - I see brown. The incense is not smoking as much as it is dry, woody and extremely resinous. The spices that intermingle at this point swirl back and forth between the incense and wood notes - but not in an overpowering way (like Jaisalmer by CdG does with the nutmeg/cardamom) but extremely minimalist. At this point, the scent smells SO much better if I don't keep raising my hands up to my nose to smell the scent, and just allow the scent to give off it's smell naturally. I cannot stress enough how 'clear' this incense smells. If there was an incense scented water, it would smell like Incense Extreme. In the Miami weather, this is a good thing. I think I could wear IE in the extreme heat of Summer and it would work beautifully. The same could not be said for Messe de Minuit or Olibanum. Which begs the question: Would I wear this in the summer, or would I more naturally reach for my citrus, green and fruity scents? I don't know. Andy also mentioned that there is powdery orris and ambergris in IE, but I can't detect neither of these notes. Which is fine with me - I don't like my orris powdery and ambergris I have a love/hate relationship with.

If you want a 'light' incense scent I think you'll love this. Which is kind of strange - because anyone out shopping for a light incense scent would most likely avoid a fragrance named Incense Extreme. Fans of Avignon by CdG, Cardinal by Heeley and Black Cashmere by Donna Karan should try IE.

Perhaps if I had encountered IE before I smelled the Comme des Garcons Incense Series - I would have been quite happy with this unique and different take on incense. Furthermore, I think one could easily own IE and Avignon - they handle frankincense so differently. However I don't think that I need IE and, if I owned it, I would not wear it enough.

The scent comes in a Eau de Parfum. Andy has stated that this should be for sale at the end of January 2008.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 27th December 2007 at 07:47 PM.

Thumbs down Re: The new Incense Extreme by Tauer

Thanks for the review, mikeperez23.

I also won a free sample but was so disappointed with my first wearing of it that my interest in IE promptly ceased. You've already mentioned a lot of good points (especially about not being able to detect certain notes that were originally expected to be 'noticeable' in the composition). Here's a couple of observations:

1) I expected IE to be exactly what it claimed to be - an incense scent with balls (after all, that's why the word 'extreme' was used, right?). Instead, it's probably lighter than any of the CdG incense offerings (but it's an EDP?!!!). I totally agree with mikeperez23 about IE being more suitable for warmer weather, since there's no way you'll be able to detect this on your skin during the harsh winter months. Sillage is moderate, longevity is about 4 hours max.

2) It pretty much smells like a CdG Incense reject (but less synthetic) - I would even go as far as saying that it's TOO similar to Avignon. However, because my recollection of Avignon is vague, please take this point with a pinch of salt. In short, if you own Avignon (or something else from this CdG series) chances are you won't be needing IE.

Now, I really admire and respect Andy Tauer, and am still hopeful that he will eventually release something as original, long-lasting and astounding as L'Air. Unfortunately, Incense Extreme is definitely not it.
    Last edited by Trebor; 27th December 2007 at 07:48 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The new Incense Extreme by Tauer

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    ...It pretty much smells like a CdG Incense reject (but less synthetic) - I would even go as far as saying that it's TOO similar to Avignon. However, because my recollection of Avignon is vague, please take this point with a pinch of salt. In short, if you own Avignon (or something else from this CdG series) chances are you won't be needing IE...
    Because I had the same feeling when I first wore Incense Extreme, I tested IE and Avignon side-by-side (since I own and love Avignon) and they are different.

Avignon has no 'green' or bright top notes, instead it goes straight to the smoke, frankincense and myrhh, stays there for quite a while before you can smell that patchouli and slight chamomile base. Incense Extreme only gets to the frankincense after the bright top notes and then when it arrives it never really shakes the other notes (coriander, a little orange perhaps) completely. Avignon's incense is nostril tickling realistic in its smokiness (I swear when I first apply it my eyes water...akin to what happens when you get smoke in your eyes) whereas Incense Extreme is much more burnt wood-ish (more like an extremely light Norma Kamali incense note).

Bottom line: Avignon is better.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 28th December 2007 at 05:57 PM.

Once again, mikeperez23, in total agreement.

I think I'm largely disappointed with IE because I was expecting something stronger (and possibly more sensual) than Avignon. Although the longevity of incense notes are not necessarily the most tenacious of fragrance notes (but longer lasting than citrus) I was expecting Andy to turn the concept on its head (similar to what Santal de Mysore did with sandalwood).

I also agree that the frankincense in IE is too shy...

Post Thanks / Like

D:

I must say, this comes as disappointing news to me. I was hoping for Avignon frankincense with a L'Air body, but I suspect I won't get either. I wonder if his new rose-incense frag will be better...

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    D:

I must say, this comes as disappointing news to me. I was hoping for Avignon frankincense with a L'Air body, but I suspect I won't get either. I wonder if his new rose-incense frag will be better...
    I spoke about Incense Extreme at Luckyscent when I was there. They had smelled both Incense Extreme and the Incense Rose [not in the store, but they had them at their shipping warehouse...so I couldn't smell it] and they told me they loved the Incense Rose.

Coincidentally so did the Perfume Posse (link here).

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I was lucky enough to win a sample as well but because I am in a third world country, it might be another few weeks before I get mine. I will wait before I allow myself to be disappointed (I was shocked when I got my bottle of Avignon because it didn't project much). This seems to happen to me a lot, I buy something and then get it home only to find that it isn't what I had hoped but then...after a few more tries, I become intrigued, then, eventually I fall in love. That doesn't always happen but lately it does seem to happen to me a a lot. I can't tell you how many times over the past couple of years I have given a bottle away only to start longing for it again and eventually, I buy another one!

I am really hoping that this one steals my heart because I love incense. The Incense Rose also sounds great.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: The new Incense Extreme by Tauer

Thanks for the great review Mike, will have to give this one a sample!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The scent comes in a Eau de Parfum. Andy has stated that this should be for sale at the end of January 2008.
    Also, heads up as this is up on luckyscents website for preorder, eta is currently January 23rd

thanks for the review mike

sadly it looks like incense extreme isn't quite as extreme as a lot of us hoped. i'm looking forward to testing a sample myself, but from what you say i doubt i'll buy a bottle. think i might have to look to lonestar for my next tauer-fix.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone should atleast smell the Incense Extreme to make up their minds for themselves - perhaps there are those who are looking for a transparent, minimalist incense scent. If so, I think they'll love Incense Extreme.

One more thing: Reading Andy's blog he mentions that Incense Extreme is 25% Boswellia Serrata CO2 extract. If I am reading this correctly, I think he's saying that it's a very high percentage of 'natural incense'. All I could think when I read this was, oh really?

Post Thanks / Like

Mikeperez, Andy says that 25% of the sum of all _fragrant_ materials in Incense extrême is Boswellia serrata CO2 extract. The sample's card says that there's 80% alcohol in IE, so that'd make 20% fragrant materials, resulting in 5% concentration of Boswellia Serrata CO2 extract in the whole eau de parfum. That still translates as a lot but only when compared to the other fragrant materials. I think Andy just wanted to highlight the fact that Boswellia Serrata is the dominant player in the composition, not that that the eau de parfum was actually super strong Boswellia Serrata.

I managed to score a sample of IE as well and have pretty much the same feelings about it as already mentioned on this thread: clear, dry incense water. I really enjoy the smell but it's not for me to wear. The name is proper in the way that it's really "extremely incense", really focusing on incense and not much else in smell, but of course you might expect something "Extreme" to be very strong as well, and that it is not for my nose.
    Last edited by Mikael; 30th December 2007 at 10:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

My sample isn't here yet but I find myself thinking about this a lot lately. Do you suppose the problem is that this scent is primarily incense which stays very close to the skin? Do you think Andy should have released this in the warmer months? Is it really weak and Andy should have made the solution stronger?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    My sample isn't here yet but I find myself thinking about this a lot lately. Do you suppose the problem is that this scent is primarily incense which stays very close to the skin? Do you think Andy should have released this in the warmer months? Is it really weak and Andy should have made the solution stronger?
    I think the incense does stay close to the skin, and I don't necessarily have a problem with this. Some CdG Incenses stay close to the skin (Ouarzazate, for instance). However, I don't need to own another incense that stays close to the skin, especially one with 'Extreme' in the title.

I don't see how releasing this in the Summer would have changed my reaction to this - I live in Miami Kelly and it's about 80 degrees here now where I'm testing IE.

Honestly, I think it was Andy's intention to release a minimalist incense fragrance (similar to JC Ellena's intention to release a minimal lavender/licorice scent [Brin de Reglisse] last month) at Hermes.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 30th December 2007 at 06:40 PM.

[QUOTE=mikeperez23;1122088]I was lucky enough to win a sample of Incense Extreme by Andy Tauer from Andy's blog and have given it a few full days of wearing.

The title Incense Extreme gets right to the point doesn't it? When I heard that Andy was creating an 'extreme' incense scent I got excited. He dazzled me (and many here on BN) with L'Air du desert Marocain and it's dry amber, tar and spices, He is also responsible for the legendary Orris (now discontinued).

I must admit that incense fragrances were part of what I first discovered here at BN. Most of the fragrances I bought at department stores never marketed themselves as incense scents, I just assumed noone made incense fragrances. I kept reading about the Comme des Garcons Incense Series (on BN and elsewhere) and all of the rave reviews they were getting. To this day, I still remember the first time I smelled Avignon and its strange power it held over me the entire afternoon I wore it. A few other incense scents have come pretty close to replicating this level of emotion and calmness that Avignon did: Olibanum by Profumum, Black Tourmaline by Olivier Durbano and Messe de Minuit by Etro are a few. Enter: Incense Extreme

The top notes are pretty light-hearted and green to my nose - perhaps its just the way that Andy blended the cedar notes but the way that it charges out at you when you spray it I'd swear there's some galbanum in there also. Maybe it's just my nose...

In a few minutes the heart of the cedar note appears along with the franckincense. The frankincense is IMO, the star of the show. Andy describes the IE frankincense notes as 'rich, crisp, red and intense', which I'm not sure that I agree with. I dont' see 'red' when I smell this - I see brown. The incense is not smoking as much as it is dry, woody and extremely resinous. The spices that intermingle at this point swirl back and forth between the incense and wood notes - but not in an overpowering way (like Jaisalmer by CdG does with the nutmeg/cardamom) but extremely minimalist. At this point, the scent smells SO much better if I don't keep raising my hands up to my nose to smell the scent, and just allow the scent to give off it's smell naturally. I cannot stress enough how 'clear' this incense smells. If there was an incense scented water, it would smell like Incense Extreme. In the Miami weather, this is a good thing. I think I could wear IE in the extreme heat of Summer and it would work beautifully. The same could not be said for Messe de Minuit or Olibanum/QUOTE] Mike you have to try messe de minuit in a dry heat i found it to be a little musty in Wales but in the dry heat of Rhodes in high summer it transformed into a different animal all dry spicy incense ,i understand Florida is quite humid so if you get to somewhere hot and dry and also allowing for the vagrancies of body chemistry mdm might surprise you.

One more thing: Reading Andy's blog he mentions that Incense Extreme is 25% Boswellia Serrata CO2 extract. If I am reading this correctly, I think he's saying that it's a very high percentage of 'natural incense'. All I could think when I read this was, oh really?
    Yes, this would be Frankincense Essential Oil. I love Frankincense EO though I prefer the steam distilled material to the CO2 extract. Either way, Frankincense EO is mostly a topnote; it is very hard to fix it so that it lasts and has any projection.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I tested Incense Extreme today, thanks to Mike passing his sample along to me.

I had read his review before wearing, so I was ready for the very un-extreme handling of incense. I also smell the "green" in the top notes, the cedar and frankincense in the heart, but my skin really amps up the orris, and it becomes very noticeable. It keeps the incense on the cool side; crisp and clear and a little austere. I've always thought that the incense was just below a simmer in Passage d'Enfer due to the lily, but it is chillier yet in Incense Extreme. It stayed very close to the skin and lasting power was moderate. I would love to test again in different weather conditions, it was 20 degress here today.

Kelley, I have a feeling you are really going to like this one. It has enough of the original Orris with the addition of incense to make it deeper and in my opinion, more interesting.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Shannon. My sample is on it's way. I have to admit though that if it doesn't have any sillage and if the longevity stinks...I probably won't like it. However, like you said, maybe in warmer weather it will be great. I hear the new Incense Rose that Andy is releasing later in the year is closer yet to Orris. That has me very excited indeed! Shannon, speaking of cold weather...it's 33 degrees here in Mexico tonight!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am interested to try this. Ive tried all of his other scents and they were not my thing at all - I have a feeling its the Tauerade - as some have begun to call it.

Im really hoping that its not present in the Incense Fragrances (I use the plural b/c I do believe there will be an Incense Rose, as well) but if it is, I hope that Its finally rendered in a way thats do-able for me.

I want so hard to like his fragrances. Hes just the most delightful person.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

To me, Incense Extreme DID have that Tauerade. It definitely reminded me of Orris.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

INWAP

Post Thanks / Like

http://tauerperfumes.com/blog/2008/0...by-deszo-bodi/

a look at the incense rose box design, which I love Andy!

(I still have the PM's from Andy after I started the Lonestar Memories bottle design thread/brouhaha, in which he asked for and I gave suggestions, I was flattered and he didn't use them)

all that said, two of my favorites: Incense and Rose in one bottle

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

B. serrata is one of several boswellias, all of which have different characters. You can use the EO or absolute. They are completely different animals. The EO is greener, brighter, fresher, but very fleeting, lasts only about an hour. I'd call it a top note. The absolute is a viscous ambery resin that has a much deeper, warmer odor and can function as a heart note, it's more tenacious and lasts a couple hours. Since AT was going for the greener, fresher approach, the EO makes sense. But no, it can't last too long, must respritz regularly for that frankincense kick. I really liked Incense Extreme but I agree the title is misleading, I was expecting something more like Norma Kamali's. Summer Frankincense might be a more accurate title!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: The new Incense Extreme by Tauer

First, let's get past the extreme thing. It' doesn't seem extreme to me, which is a good thing-- makes it more wearable. It's not light either though--like, say, Kyoto or Passage d'Enfer
    I prefer the cedar in this to say, Lacroix' Tumulte which is creamy if you can say that about wood. Tauer refers to "Texas cedar;" I grew up in Texas and Texas cedar is 1) really a juniper and 2) causes 'cedar fever' when it pollinates abut this time of year. Whatever this is is pretty good wood and it works well with the incense, which is definitely present but but does not dominate. Much prefer it to Avignon. I go to a church that uses incense so Avignon is just redundant.
    Incense Rose: Must add to my rose collection. I have Voleur de Rose, CS 88, Iquitos, Black Aoud and this will have to join them. Don't know if there are other incense & rose combos out there but this is the first one I've tried and I love it. Definitely easier to wear that VdR, Iquitos or BA--less assertive/ eccentric--you can let your attitude down but stil enjoy a beautiful rose. Llike the cedar in IE, the rose here vibrates alongside the incense but neither dominates like striking a nice musical chord where you hear the individual notes working together. I'm buying.

Does anyone else get a similarity between Incense Extreme and CDG - Zagorsk?
    Is it just me? The orris, cedar, and incense in both made me curious, and when I tried again, I saw the similarities. They are both cool, etherial, and strike me as melancholic in a way. Oh well....just curious if my nose is playing tricks on me again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They don't smell the same to me, but you're right on in that they are both cool, ethereal, and evoke a certain nostalgic melacholy! Kind of like brothers, not twins.

Post Thanks / Like

Andy Tauer presented Incense Extreme to his Zurich friends a week before Christmas. Although that weekend was packed I could spare an hour to attend for a glass of wine and extensive sniffing. I also took notes and a couple of photographs. Of course, incense lover myself, I went with high expectations. Incense is in, too, and I want to extend my experiences. But Alas, once you have smelled it in Bandit, or Avignon you tend to expect something sombre and deep, or smoky as in B Black. I also think Andy T. has used incense as a component earlier. I was in for a big surprise: Incense can be quite bright and inspiring, but I had never thought about that smelling pure incense oils before. It can make your brain cells communicate with each other faster! I swear it wasn't the wine, as I didn't have any in the end (I only enjoy it in a glass, not from paper cups). In short, my own impressions of IE were not too different from what you guys are reporting here. But I kept that to myself for a while. I wanted at least for some of you to do your own sampling first. It's always a little dangerous to talk about first impressions, particularly, when nobody else has a chance to verify these for themselves. To comprise it in one sentence:

If this fragrance was named ' Incense Pure ' I would call it perfect !

p.s. 03-17:... I am still having problems with photobucket. Is there a better way to post pictures, not just links?
    Last edited by narcus; 18th March 2008 at 06:13 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

The best thing about this is the blast of menthol/mint note that remains part of the way through the drydown. I may give this one another chance during warmer weather.

I just tried Incense Extreme from a sample today and I am really blown away by this fragrance. It somehow has this exquisite intensity but ingeniously presented as crystaline and beautifully light. I love this fragrance. It triggers all those flashing lights that say "yes, this is something very special!!!" I don't think it's FBW for me personally, but for incense lovers, this is fabulous.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I might like this even more than Anthony. Actually, I love this! It is so clear and bright...like sunshine. This is a spiritual experience for me. Sillage was great on my skin and lasted all day! This isn't a burning incense scent like Avignon but more of a holding the resin in your hands and rubbing them together kind of scent. It doesn't remind me of church but of clear mountain air. Definitely full bottle worthy for me!

It's really amazing, the clarity!! Then I read the card which says "intense and clear", a "cubist, minimalist iterpretation of incense", and thought... "well, there ya go!". It's always great when a perfumer's intentions are very evident. One gets the sense he wields fragrance oils like a magician's wand.. I read Mike's review and it's a very accurate account. The only thing I can say in contrasst is that if I concentrate, I get a powdery orris sense far away from where I've sprayed, as well as sense the "red" but only in my imagination of what cedar looks like sliced cleanly across the trunk. It's not a simple, peppery, clean incense... there's some oily richness here when your nose is stuck to your skin, getting a sense of it. But the overall impression is clear. I love the mountain air impression Kelly!
    Last edited by nthny; 18th March 2008 at 03:10 AM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

When I go to Scent Bar next month I'm going to take my vial of Orris with me, and do a side-by-side with the Orris and the new Incense(s). I've been dying to compare them and to see how they are different and/or alike.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I will be sitting hear waiting for your observations! I wasn't a fan of Orris but I can appreciate it's beauty. I keep hearing that the new Incense Rose is similar to Orris but I will wait until I hear your thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlesnort View Post
    First, let's get past the extreme thing. It' doesn't seem extreme to me, which is a good thing-- makes it more wearable. It's not light either though--like, say, Kyoto or Passage d'Enfer
    I prefer the cedar in this to say, Lacroix' Tumulte which is creamy if you can say that about wood. Tauer refers to "Texas cedar;" I grew up in Texas and Texas cedar is 1) really a juniper and 2) causes 'cedar fever' when it pollinates abut this time of year. Whatever this is is pretty good wood and it works well with the incense, which is definitely present but but does not dominate. Much prefer it to Avignon. I go to a church that uses incense so Avignon is just redundant.
    Incense Rose: Must add to my rose collection. I have Voleur de Rose, CS 88, Iquitos, Black Aoud and this will have to join them. Don't know if there are other incense & rose combos out there but this is the first one I've tried and I love it. Definitely easier to wear that VdR, Iquitos or BA--less assertive/ eccentric--you can let your attitude down but stil enjoy a beautiful rose. Llike the cedar in IE, the rose here vibrates alongside the incense but neither dominates like striking a nice musical chord where you hear the individual notes working together. I'm buying.
    Very well put.

My Incense Rose is on its way and wouldn't be surprised if Incense Extreme joins the collection some day. There is another important aspect to IE (& IR) that is unique to these scents - compared with the CdG incense series (I have Avignon & Kyoto plus samples of the others) - and that is: Both of these have that significant "Andy Tauer 'desert air' signature" - which the CdG incense scents DON'T have. I am sure Tauer has incorporated this effect intentionally. In the drydowns of both IE & IR one will note that same "desert air" effect that only LdDM has IMO. (I'm being slightly redundant to stress a point.) My parents live in an area in Texas called Cedar Ridge and one of the real treats I've had when visiting them (and the jet-lag hasn't worn off) is just going out on the porch early in the morning and smelling those cedars / junipers. "Texas cedar" is an ingredient in both IE & IR, as I understand.