Code of Conduct

Default Basenotes, help me select a fragrance to purchase for my opera debut!

Hello Basenotes, this is my first post! I have been lurking for a while and have been reluctant to post but I had to break the ice eventually! Here goes...

I am a music student at the University of North Texas and I will be performing my first opera role in Benjamin Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream, and it opens tomorrow night! The recent thread about fragrances at the opera has inspired me to decide to purchase myself a new fragrance to commemorate this experience with. This is where you come in! Please share your seemingly infinite supply of wisdom that I have so graciously stalked for so long and help me decide on something!

I know the wardrobe feature is down but mine is a relatively short list, so here you are:

Baldessarini Ambre
    Banana Republic Black Walnut
    B&BW Sensual Amber
    B*Men
    Bulgari Black
    Burberry London
    Corduroy
    Escada Magnetism
    Escada Pour Homme
    John Varvatos
    Lacoste Pour Homme
    Perry Ellis Reserve
    Shalimar Light

I would say that Burberry London is my favorite by far, I love the apple-y warmth and rich masculinity that it just oozes! I would love to get something else with the sensual warmth that Burberry London has.

Also, since I am a starving college student, it would need to be something that can be purchased for cheap at a place like Scentiments. As much as I would absolutely love to go and buy some Spiritueuse Double Vanille, there is just absolutely no way I could afford it, or anything close to the price line. Creeds, even at Scentiments, would be pushing it a bit too. Let me know if there is anything else you need to know from me to help with suggestions and to make this experience even more special! Thanks everyone!

Cheers,
    Joseph

(PS- Sorry this post was a bit verbose!)
    (PPS- That rhymed a bit)

Default Re: Basenotes, help me select a fragrance to purchase for my opera debut!

I like the idea of Escada Pour Homme. Classy, inoffensive, well made. I also love Benjamin Britten, I just saw the new production of Peter Grimes at the Met. Great singing, cold production. Which role are you singing? Break a leg!

Default Re: Basenotes, help me select a fragrance to purchase for my opera debut!

Even though backstage will probably smell pretty bad from the combinations of hot lights and heavy costumes, I don't know if it's such a good idea to wear the fragrance during performance as it can be distracting.

But congratulations on the role and break many legs!

I'm also a music and opera lover and own Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream on both CD and DVD.

Which character are you playing? One of the mains, a fairy, or a rustic?

I suggest that you wear something appropriate for your role. It might help you and the other singers get into the spirit of the thing.

On the other hand, wearing something inappropriate for your character, for example, something heavy and serious for a fairy role or something elegant for a rustic role, may have an unsettling effect on everyone.

Also, keep in mind what coffeeandpizza said, about the lights and the heat. You might safely choose to wear nothing. But if you do decide to wear a fragrance, you should probably go light on the sprayer.

If I were in your place and chose to wear a scent, I would choose something that helped me get into character, and boosted my confidence in portraying that character. This advice is non-specific, but without further info it is the best I can do.

Good luck! Hope you get a standing ovation and cheers of Bravo!

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 4th April 2008 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coffee&pizza View Post
    Even though backstage will probably smell pretty bad from the combinations of hot lights and heavy costumes, I don't know if it's such a good idea to wear the fragrance during performance as it can be distracting.

But congratulations on the role and break many legs!
    This could be true, but perhaps something like Guerlain Imperial would be be suitable. It is classic, subdued and not very expensive. It has probably been worn by more than one opera singer in the past.

I am cast as one of the rustics, Snug. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Midsummer, Snug is a particularly unintelligent and simple man who even describes himself as "slow of study." He also plays the role of a lion in an endearingly poor little play that he and his friends put on for the Duke of Athens. Britten does a beautiful job with the music for the rustics, as it is very unrefined and what could maybe best be described as "hokey." Snug's music is very simple and often characterized by a very lethargic and ugly polka motive being played in the background, with his speech often very slow and broken. The scenes involving the rustic are truly fantastic and absolutely hilarious to both see and hear!

It should be said that I am not looking for a fragrance to wear during the actual performances. If you think that normal people are divas about having to smell your fragrance, wait until you get around a group of singers. It is as though whatever you were wearing, no matter how light and inoffensive it may be, will instantly light their larynx on fire and they will be without a career for the rest of their lives. For most of the performances of various ensembles, performers are asked not to wear fragrances because they can be offensive, and as you all have mentioned, quite overwhelming in close proximity and under stage lights. The lion costume is quite possibly the hottest material known to man and I am thinking I would suffocate if I wore ANY fragrance!

I am simply looking for something new to commemorate this momentous occasion! I thought I hated opera until last semester when I decided to audition for the program. Last semester, we did Gounod's setting of Romeo et Juliette, which I loved! I was only in the chorus but it was my first opera and was a tremendous learning experience and I loved almost every minute of it! The Met actually did it very soon after we finished our shows and I never ended up getting to go to see the broadcasts!

And with Britten, although a lot of his stuff isn't the most approachable (I would never try to get someone into opera by introducing it to them with Britten) it is extremely beautiful in its own way and has a great ability to grow on the listener and performer as he or she uncovers all of the limitless details that Britten weaves into his work. You can either love or hate his music, but it can't be argued that he was an unbelievably brilliant and gifted man.

I'm sorry if I have been straying a bit off topic here. Thank you for the suggestions!

Probably at the top of your price range, but -

Creed Royal Delight - for sure!

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=203400&
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

If you like something warm and masculine, try Michael for Men by Michael Kors... absolutely stunning
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Bois du Portugal by Creed (not listed) and expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Probably at the top of your price range, but -

Creed Royal Delight - for sure!

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=203400&
    This does sound intriguing... and for 70 dollars it might be totally doable price-wise. Also, after reading the reviews, I am not particularly worried about the possibility of it smelling too feminine as that is not a serious concern of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by chad278 View Post
    If you like something warm and masculine, try Michael for Men by Michael Kors... absolutely stunning
    This fragrance has been towards the top of my wish list for a long long time! I have yet to smell it but it sounds so damn fine! Would you consider it much more formal than Burberry London? London is also boozy with some spice but not too heavy, and I feel comfortable wearing it for all occasions and in most weather (though it smells the best in cold weather obviously).

Also, do you think that with summer coming, especially in Texas, Michael might be a bit much? Either way, I definitely should get off my bum and actually check it out though, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by P-Natra View Post
    Bois du Portugal by Creed (not listed) and expensive!
    This might be a bit expensive, as you say, but I have noticed it has been getting a lot of attention and I wouldn't mind at least sampling it to see what it was all about.

Sorry for assuming that you'd be wearing the scent during performance.

I'll toss out a few different ideas for you to think about.

If you'd like to buy something that might remind you of your character in the opera, who is simple and unrefined, and as rustics are generally associated with the outdoors, you might think about relatively uncomplicated green things like Puig's Agua Brava, Pino Silvestre, L'Occitane Eau des Quatre Voleurs, Diptyque Eau Trois, Caron Yatagan, or perhaps even Sisley's Eau de Campagne or Loewe's para Hombre or Esencia.

An underrated choice, if you can find it, is Bogner's Deep Forest, a wonderfully soft, subtly spicy oriental-fougere. It might be outdoorsy enough to remind you of the role as well as being rich enough to appeal to your scent preferences. As far as fougeres go, also think about YSL Rive Gauche.

Since you seem to favor sensual Orientals, you also might consider the rich YSL Opium or one of its seasonal variants, the slightly more austere Boucheron Jaipur, or the elegant Tiffany for Men. I don't know which olfactory category Lalique pour Homme (Lion) falls into, but it's extremely nice.

noggs
    Last edited by noggs; 4th April 2008 at 07:07 AM.

In commemoration of the first step on your way to New York's Metropolitan Opera,
    may I suggest the fabulous New York by Parfums de Nicolai? First class, and
    though it's a cousin to Bois du Portugal, still pretty unique.

Don't wear it while performing though.

Congrats! North Texas is a very strong music school.

There is actually a perfume called "Let me play the Lion" .
    MSNDream: 'Let me play the lion too: I will roar, that I will do any man's heart good to hear me; I will roar, that I will make the duke say 'Let him roar again, let him roar again.'

It reminds me of L'Artisans Fou d'Absinthe and was created in 2006 by by the French perfumer Isabelle Doyen who also created Ce Soir Ou Jamais, Quel Amour, Vanille Exquise, Songes, Duel, and Mandragore (house: Annick Goutal). Available via internet from ALZD or directly from the LesNez website. Find more details in the directory.

Whosyourcaddy05, I am not so familiar with Britten. Have you told us whether you're a tenor, bass, or baritone? Whatsoever - best of luck!
    Last edited by narcus; 4th April 2008 at 10:42 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Sur la Plage

Welcome to Basenotes Joseph!

In my opinion, you can never go wrong with anything from a classic fragrance house like Guerlain or Yves Saint-Laurent. They always put out quality fragrances at reasonable prices. Some choices would be:

Guerlain - Heritage
    Yves Saint-Laurent - M7
    Yves Saint-Laurent - Opium pour Homme

Some other reasonably prices fragrances would be:

Rochas - Lui
    Michael Kors - Michael for Men

Good luck and break a leg!

Joe
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    MSNDream: 'Let me play the lion too: I will roar, that I will do any man's heart good to hear me; I will roar, that I will make the duke say 'Let him roar again, let him roar again.'
    Ah, you beat me to it. From LesNez: "Scents of dusty trails, Of lightly sweetened ochre, Of sun-weathered wood, Of silence swept by mild breezes, Of skies open like an endless azure cut oozing signs of the coming storm." From LuckyScent: "The wood, the delicate incense, the soft spiciness create a blend that is as elegantly understated as it is exotic." It also has that outdoors quality noggs discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Sorry for assuming that you'd be wearing the scent during performance.

I'll toss out a few different ideas for you to think about.

If you'd like to buy something that might remind you of your character in the opera, who is simple and unrefined, and as rustics are generally associated with the outdoors, you might think about relatively uncomplicated green things like Puig's Agua Brava, Pino Silvestre, L'Occitane Eau des Quatre Voleurs, Diptyque Eau Trois, Caron Yatagan, or perhaps even Sisley's Eau de Campagne or Loewe's para Hombre or Esencia.

An underrated choice, if you can find it, is Bogner's Deep Forest, a wonderfully soft, subtly spicy oriental-fougere. It might be outdoorsy enough to remind you of the role as well as being rich enough to appeal to your scent preferences. As far as fougeres go, also think about YSL Rive Gauche.

Since you seem to favor sensual Orientals, you also might consider the rich YSL Opium or one of its seasonal variants, the slightly more austere Boucheron Jaipur, or the elegant Tiffany for Men. I don't know which olfactory category Lalique pour Homme (Lion) falls into, but it's extremely nice.

noggs

I am quite drawn to how Jaipur sounds, as long as it isn't too formal. Also, have you, or anyone reading this, smelled Lalique Blue? I wonder if that might be a better fit for a college student?

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy View Post
    In commemoration of the first step on your way to New York's Metropolitan Opera,
    may I suggest the fabulous New York by Parfums de Nicolai? First class, and
    though it's a cousin to Bois du Portugal, still pretty unique.

Don't wear it while performing though.

Congrats! North Texas is a very strong music school.

I have never smelled BdP or New York. These might be a bit expensive but who knows? I might have to splurge a bit. Although a true splurge would be the Spiritueuse Double Vanille as it sounds like it could be the most intoxicating smell known to man!

It reminds me of L'Artisans Fou d'Absinthe and was created in 2006 by by the French perfumer Isabelle Doyen who also created Ce Soir Ou Jamais, Quel Amour, Vanille Exquise, Songes, Duel, and Mandragore (house: Annick Goutal). Available via internet from ALZD or directly from the LesNez website. Find more details in the directory.

Whosyourcaddy05, I am not so familiar with Britten. Have you told us whether you're a tenor, bass, or baritone? Whatsoever - best of luck!
    What a brilliant suggestion! Straight out of Midsummer itself! Contrary to some of the reviews, I would love to be able to tell someone the name of this when asked about it! Brilliant!

Also, I am a bass. Snug is the lowest-voiced role in the opera and the part is definitely written with some serious thunder in mind. One of the funny things about Snug's music is that some of it is written to be sung way too loud (Britten even writes "rather forte" on one phrase, where Snug offers his two cents much later and slower than his friends, who are marked at a mezzo-piano I think)... He is just so endearingly stupid and doesn't know any better!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes Joseph!

In my opinion, you can never go wrong with anything from a classic fragrance house like Guerlain or Yves Saint-Laurent. They always put out quality fragrances at reasonable prices. Some choices would be:

Guerlain - Heritage
    Yves Saint-Laurent - M7
    Yves Saint-Laurent - Opium pour Homme

Some other reasonably prices fragrances would be:

Rochas - Lui
    Michael Kors - Michael for Men

Good luck and break a leg!

Joe
    I love the thought of Heritage. I already own Shalimar Light, do you think this would be too similar? Rochas Lui sounds amazing (although what exactly is neroli? a citrus?), and here we have another vote for Michael Kors!

Thank you all for these wonderful suggestions and the encouragement! If I said I wasn't shaking in my boots about the performances I would be a total liar! It is all just so new to me still, you know? I came to college a few years ago with the intention to develop through playing bass trombone, not voice. If you had told me then that I would eventually be a) doing opera, and b) loving it, I would have either a) laughed at you, or b) slapped you in the mouth.

You all are very special people indeed. The endless supply of knowledge and the great willingness to help are what continue to make Basenotes such a unique and spectacular place!

Quote Originally Posted by whosyourcaddy05 View Post
    You all are very special people indeed. The endless supply of knowledge and the great willingness to help are what continue to make Basenotes such a unique and spectacular place!
    Yes, you are right! Basenotes is a spectacular place full of very special people. :bounce:

So we expect to see you hanging around here offering your own special insights!

noggs

...Also, I am a bass. ...I came to college a few years ago with the intention to develop through playing bass trombone, not voice. If you had told me then that I would eventually be a) doing opera, and b) loving it, I would have either a) laughed at you, or b) slapped you in the mouth.
    Congrats - all those wonderful parts at your disposal, particularly if you also like Verdi! And you won't have to be young and slender forever as is the fate of most tenors!
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

It reminds me of L'Artisans Fou d'Absinthe and was created in 2006 by by the French perfumer Isabelle Doyen :
    This was exactly the one I thought of as well.
    It would be perfect, imo.
    Current Favorites: #5 edt, #19 edt & parfum - Chanel, FRACAS - Robert Piguet, A Taste of Heaven - By Killian, Apres L'Ondee- Guerlain, LUX & Carnation - Mona di Orio, Une Rose - Frederick Malle, Kiki - Vero Kern, Bois de Violette & Sarrasins - Serge Lutens

Post Re: Basenotes, help me select a fragrance to purchase for my opera debut!

You seem to be packed with rather synthetic and sweet designer scents. I can't help but to think that you need something old worldly and, well, italian. I guess the latter is not the most important factor, really.

Anyhow, I'm listening to Giuseppe di Stefano at the moment - his voice is so pure, emotional and clear. These are elements I appreciate in fragrances. I suggest you Villoresi's Uomo. It is very different from anything you own - it's very natural, balanced and distinctive. There seems to be air between notes, you can spot many different notes, it's not muddled like great majority of scent nowadays. I will never get tired of it. It's unfortunately very far from what you asked for, just wanted to give different ideas .

Hey guys,

We have now finished our first weekend of performances and overall I think they went well! There is still one weekend of performances left, so if you live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, consider yourself cordially invited!

People in the opera and stage managers traditionally give everyone little gifts or cards for the performances. One of my friends playing Quince bought all of the rest of the rustics History of Farting books. Pretty applicable, I would say. Another one of my friends is well acquainted with my fragrance thing and so he stole two atomizers of fragrance from the mall for my little gift. Who would have thought thievery could be such a nice gesture? Also, my voice teacher knows about my fragrance thing too so he wore the rest of the bottle of his personal favorite, Ferrari Black, for me! How nice of him... and it smells very good on him as well!

Anyway...

I have decided that I am certain that I want to buy Michael Kors. Unfortunately, Scentiments is out of stock on it, and I can't seem to find it anywhere else at such a low price. so I will wait.

I am very close to taking the jump and purchasing Let Me Play the Lion. I am a bit hesitant though. As much as I love the name, I do not want to be purchasing it just because of the name... I want the fragrance itself to be worth the price too. At a price point of 75 dollars, I could get one of the highly praised Creeds that were suggested. Do you think it is worth the 75 dollars or are there better choices? I think the main problem here is that I simply want to buy them all! Damn! I am still taking suggestions, of course.

Love always,
    Joseph

The Lion had some nice woody quality to it, but for $75, I'd much rather take the Royal Delight.

I'm sure you can probably find Michael Kors online somewhere.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Luciano Pavarotti is my suggestion!

In 2000, I performed as Romeo in front of 900-1,000 people, and yes, my knees were like jelly. I think I wore Lacoste Booster that night.

Good luck and wish you the time to remember.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    Luciano Pavarotti is my suggestion!

In 2000, I performed as Romeo in front of 900-1,000 people, and yes, my knees were like jelly. I think I wore Lacoste Booster that night.

Good luck and wish you the time to remember.

Was this in Gounod's Romeo et Juliette? Unbelievably beautiful music, and I actually got to see recent Met production with Anna Netrebko and Roberto Alagna yesterday on PBS! It was absolutely stunning.

Was this in Gounod's Romeo et Juliette? Unbelievably beautiful music, and I actually got to see recent Met production with Anna Netrebko and Roberto Alagna yesterday on PBS! It was absolutely stunning.
    We only played the main parts of Romeo and Juliet, nothing so formal though :-) I know Roberto Alagna, he's a good French tenor.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

As much as I love Let Me Play the Lion (flathorn's review is spot-on, imo), and as much as I like how perfect it is for the occasion, I'm wondering if it might help to first get samples of LMPTL and some of the Creeds that appeal to you, through The Perfumed Court or a similar service. You'd be able to test a little bit of everything and then really go all out for the one you like most.

(I have a difficult time being that patient myself, though!)
    Sniff and let sniff.

Joseph
    Congratulations and hope the season has been a success.

No choice but Burberry Brit in my opinion, not only is it English, it's his name (almost), you should be able to find it relatively inexpensively, and it contains a pear note, and we know Britten loved Pears.

S.
    Last edited by Santemon; 8th April 2008 at 06:10 AM.