Code of Conduct

Default scent doesn't stay on skin?

Maybe my body temperature is too high I don't know. But fragrances that people get 8+ hours out of barely get me 2-3 hours. why is that does anyone know?

I've tried all kinds of different ones but not much luck.
    Last edited by kaywalker; 4th April 2008 at 04:57 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: scent doesn't stay on skin?

Maybe you have dry skin? It sucks up the juice. Try applying scent free lotion/moisturizer to the area before you apply your fragrance.
    Last edited by reneirwold878; 4th April 2008 at 05:00 AM.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

You can also try spraying a couple of times on the same spot, such as on your chest, waiting a few minutes, then repeating. Keep trying this until you get longevity. I had to do this with Jacomo Rouge and it worked. You can also spray just below the shirt line, so that it's close to your nose but it is warm.

Dry skin is enemy #1 .. I unfortunately suffer from that as well.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

For some frags, you can spray your clothes instead. For me, scents like Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille, Montale Black Aoud, Creed Bois de Portugal stay forever on clothes. Some SDV rubbed onto my collar from a neck spritzing 2 weeks ago, and the scent is still strong!
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

If you perspire a lot like I do, then that could also contribute to scents not lasting long on you. I usually spray on my clothes to compensate for this.

Kaywalker there are many things that can cause a perfume not to last long on the skin. I however believe it has alot to do with how you cleanse and moisturize your skin. I don't care how many sprays you give yourself, if your skin isn't clean it won't make a difference. Now since you are open to suggestions, you're more than welcome to try some of my skin regimens.

First let me explain some things about the skin. We do lose a thin layer of skin each and every day. We have microbes that are resident, as in they are always there. We have those that are transient. These are transported to the skin and can be washed away. Now the resident microbes are what make up your body chemistry. The resident microbes are what the hound dog is sniffing out when he's looking for the bad guy. These are unique to you and are always with you. I don't care what you hear them say on here about not washing so much or you will wash away your precious oils. Please believe me when I say that you can never wash them away. They will be there even after you have soaked or been in the water for hours. Just think about it. Can skin be sterilized? Uh No! OK moving on. Now, you didn't say whether you had oily, or dry, or normal skin. So, I will try to relate this to all types as much as I can. Knowing this about the skin brings us to why it's important to cleanse the skin well and keep it moisturized.

As a perfume/cologne wearer, it's imortant to cleanse the skin daily. Your goal is to achieve maxium exfoliation. Think about it. You have layer upon layer of dead skin cells, plus whatever your skin has picked up throughout the day, and whatever products you may have used ie..lotion, perfume, etc. So, it's important to remove all of this from your skin, cause it will play an important part in sillage and longevity. It's important to shower daily with a nice thick wash cloth or sponge or glove. Just make sure it can scrub and remove the ills of the day. Now, you can shower 3 times a day and will never get as clean as you can get from a good soak and a scrub down in your tub. Trust me. The shower does not get it all.

If you have dry skin, it is very important that you exfoliate very well and moisturize. Dry skin just eats up a frag and then flakes away. 9 times out of 10 it doesn't even reach your pores in order to really mix with your body chemistry. Dry skin doesn't give the frag anything to cling to. Oily skin should be cleansed very well too. The moisturizing part is not as important because they don't have a problem with dry skin. They do however have a problem with those transient microbes. That oily skin picks up anything and everything and it definitely has something to cling to. So, it's important that they cleanse deeply because sometimes this type of skin can be prone to breakouts as well. Normal skin should be cleansed well and moisturized as well. Those with normal and oily skin can use a light lotion, but those with dry skin should use heavier lotions that will last throughout the day. Now I mention the cleansing because it plays an important part in how your frag mixes with your body chemistry. What you want is for the frag to mix with your body chemistry and not the left over skin and things you didn't wash away. That's why I mention the resident and transient. Alot of people don't realize that those transient buggers can cause some serious sillage and longevity problems. So, you have to get rid of them and let your newly replaced and well cleansed skin receive your frag. Mositurizing plays a role in the sillage and longevity in that it helps the frag to get down into the skin and not just float on the top to be wiped away or just evaporate into thin air. You should spray your frag on first and then apply your lotion. That way the scent is sent even farther into your skin allowing the frag to be released over and over again throughout the day ie..sillage. You see, your body replaces the skin everyday. It also secretes oils to protect the skin. Some of us excrete more than others. Hence the different types of skin, but the oils are always there.

Now, you will hear all types of ways to apply frags. Don't believe the hype OK. Spray to your liking, but don't worry about crushing precious molecules and walking into perfume clouds. It's all just foolishness. Those same folks that walk into those clouds will be in another thread talking about how their frags don't last on them. Let me tell you something. Perfume is a liquid in a bottle. You can shake it up or spray it sideways and upside down. It won't change the scent. You can also rub your perfume into your skin. That won't mess up the frag either. Lawd where do they come up with this stuff LMAO!! Ask these people if they spray air freshner in the air and stand there and hold the cloud so it doesn't move LOL!! Please OK! Ask them if they spray cleaner on the sink or tub and let it stay there without moving it. I mean does the liquid magically move around and clean the surface or do you have to get down in there with a sponge and scrub that sink and tub to get it clean. It's just a liquid. You spray air freshner in the air and it spreads out and it still smells like it's suppose to. It doesn't last long cause it didn't have too much to cling to. Just spray your frag all over and rub it in good so it gets down into your pores to mix with that body chemistry. Thats how you get sillage. That's how you get longevity.

I don't have a problem with either. Honey, B&BW body spray lasts until I wash it off. You know that stuff doesn't last an hour on most folks. My method works well for me and it may work for you. It's a process now, but it works. Lastly, as if this isn't long enough already, my skin regimen.......

I shower daily. I use a thick cotton wash cloth. I use simple soaps like Ivory or Dial. It doesn't matter. I wash my entire body 3 to 4 times with my soap and wash cloth. I scrub very well. Sometimes I use the soap for my frag of the day if I have it. After I finish washing I leave my entire upper body wet. I dry the bottom half. I sometimes half to add a little more water, but I make sure my upper body is nice and wet. I spray my SOTD on my wet skin. I spray my chest, my stomach, my neck front and back, my arms all over, and then the twins....*giggle*. I take the water and I use it to rub the frag into my skin and all over my upper body. Depending on how strong my frag is, I may spray more or less, but I always do the intial spray. After rubbing my frag in, I put on my loiton. I have very very dry skin. I use a combination of abut 3 to 4 lotions at a time. I use Jergens Ultra Healing, Eucercin Intensive Repair (Green Top), Some type of body butter, and the lotion for my SOTD. I lotion my entire body because I can't stand to be dry anywhere. Before I put on my clothes, I give myself a quick spray to the chest neck and arms and then I get dressed.

Now once a week I do a deep exfoliation. I soak in the tub. I get the water as hot as I can stand it. You can use any type of bath bubbles or whatever. Just get that water hot and soak. I don't have a big tub. So, I have to soak on one side at a time LOL. I try to soak at least 30 minutes. If I don't have anything to do I soak much longer. This loosens up the dead skin. After I soak, I get my weapons of choice. I have exfoliating gloves, which are wonderful and feel so good on the skin. They are like scouring pads. They are rough. I also have one of those puff sponges and a loofah sponge. Again I just use Ivory or whatever. I wash with each using my Ivory. I then repeat the cycle using a different soap. So I wash with the gloves, then I wash with the puff, then I wash with the sponge, and then I wash with my wash cloth. I repeat that cycle once more. Be careful cause the skin can get raw from all the scrubbing. After I've finished, then I let the water out and take a shower. I wash off 1 maybe 2 times and do the same as above. Now, sometimes I scrub a little to hard and I can't wear that much perfume. Honey, when that alcohol hits you, it's like somebody set you on fire lol. So, be careful but scrub, scrub, scrub.

By doing this I get the ultimate in sillage and longevity. My skin is very clean and moisturized and covered with my SOTD. I get many compliments. I'm always told that I smell good. My frags often last until I wash them off and that's usually the next day. So, try this for about a month and see if you notice a difference in how long your frag lasts. This regimen is effective for those who are prone to body odor as well. Just be sure to remove those hairs in those smelly places often. Hair holds odor in the worst way. That goes for men too. Sorry it was os long, but I take my perfume wearing very seriously as you can see. I have it broken down into a science and a scientific process. But you know what...........

I smells gooooooooood.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Wow, I don't know whether to commend you for your dedication or to phone up the looney bin!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    Wow, I don't know whether to commend you for your dedication or to phone up the looney bin!

LMAO! cause I don't know whether to just laugh at you or tell you to go wash your ass.

But I'ma Laaaaady. Please go bathe and bathe well.

That is all.......Diva has spoken
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

I agree with most of what Diva has said with these exceptions:

- Applying fragrance while skin is wet will cause loss of fragrance due to evaporation with the water. It is best to spray the fragrance after a fragrance free lotion has been applied so the lotion acts as a base carrier. This is common sense and backed by professional authorities.
    -Application method does make a difference. There are some fragracnes that are so heavy, I have more wearable results when I spray a cloud a walk through. This allows for a more even and broad application instead of a concentrated spot. This will make a difference in terms of how heavy or light you want the projection to be. Say what you will but experience is my guide.

Try Dove unscented soap. Even if you dont use it every day, I've started using it and it can make a difference (although if you have dry skin, it might make things worse!)
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
    If you perspire a lot like I do, then that could also contribute to scents not lasting long on you. I usually spray on my clothes to compensate for this.
    yup, this could be the reason and that could be the solution. spraying on hair is another option.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I agree with most of what Diva has said with these exceptions:

- Applying fragrance while skin is wet will cause loss of fragrance due to evaporation with the water. It is best to spray the fragrance after a fragrance free lotion has been applied so the lotion acts as a base carrier. This is common sense and backed by professional authorities.
    -Application method does make a difference. There are some fragracnes that are so heavy, I have more wearable results when I spray a cloud a walk through. This allows for a more even and broad application instead of a concentrated spot. This will make a difference in terms of how heavy or light you want the projection to be. Say what you will but experience is my guide.

Actually, I don't have fragrance loss with "MY" application. I have fragrance enhancement. I put lotion on after I spray my perfume and I didn't need common sense or a "Professional Authority" to do it. As far as common sense and "Professional Authorities", uhm yeah OK. Let me inform you that you aren't the only one here with experience and common sense or the lack there of. I'll leave that for the "Professional Authorities" to decide in your case, cause you obviously put a lot of stock in what they have to say. As I clearly stated, "This is what works for ME". You do what works for you. That's all you really need to have stated, and that's what works for you. You walk through clouds and I hit it dead on, and I'm sure we both smell just the way we want to, and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

I mean seriously, some of y'all come off like "Your Way" is the only way. I poke fun at the way other folks apply their cologne all the time, but that's just me. It's really not that serious. Y'all be blowin me with this research via customer service and with the reading of in-depth reports on the fragrance industry. Until you smell me, please don't tell me what doesn't work on "MY" skin. There are many BNers that have tried my application methods and have come back to tell me that it works for them as well. I know that there are plenty of folks that walk through clouds on here as well.....*sniggle*. Just do you. Diva is most definitely going to do FABULOUS Boo Boo!

My regards to you, common sense, and the "Professional Authorities"

......jeez. Are we being graded on this? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Exit, stage right
    --------------------------------------
    Let me give you an example now. Take today for instance, or should I say yesterday. I wore another one of my Divatologist concoctions....Alien + Aveda Patchouli + Baby Magic/Alien Lotion. Well, I put it on the way I always do, as soon as I stepped out the shower while my skin was still wet. I put the patchouli oil on and then the Alien and I used the water to help spread it all over and rub it in. Now, that was at about 5:45pm. As soon as I get to work the first thing I hear is....Damn V you smell good what is that. It's funny cause when I say Alien I always get the same response. They look at me with a puzzled look and say Alien??? I got not 1, not 2, not even 4, but 7 compliments on Alien yesterday. The last 2 compliments came this morning. I went to get my hair done after I got off work this morning. My stylist said man you smell good. Then at 11:15 am the receptionist asked me what I was wearing because it smelled so good. I laughed cause I told that I put this on yesterday.

So much for the evaporation theory. I have dry skin. So, whatever I put on my skin gets absorbed. As a matter of fact I wore short sleeves yesterday and you can still smell the perfume on my bare arm. Some perfumes will fade on an area of my skin that is not covered with clothing, but my stronger EDP like Alien last on me all over until I wash it off.

Don't believe me........Come smell me!
    Last edited by Divatologist; 12th April 2008 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Ya'll might think Diva's crazy, but I'm telling you, her way WORKS!

I have dry skin that eats up fragrance.
    When I say "eats up" I mean Angel is a light skin scent on me that only lasts an hour or 2.

I've tried using moisturizing soaps and bodywashes followed by heavy, moisturizing lotion, topped off with my fragrance. Most people can't smell any fragrance on me at all this way unless I shove my arm under their nose. Even that's only for a couple of hours. That's nice, when you want a soft skin scent, but not so nice when you want to really enjoy your fragrance and allow others to enjoy it too.

Before trying Diva's way of doing things the most success I had was using Johsnon's Baby Oil Gel or Keri Advance Therapy Lotion. Those seemed to keep the scent on longer and give more sillage than other lotions. Probably because they create barriers that keep my skin from absorbing the fragrance.

But once I started scouring my skin using exfoliating gloves and Dial Soap, spraying on fragrance while still wet from the shower, applying lotion, then a little more of my fragrance of the day - I've gotten A LOT more compliments on the perfumes I've been wearing.

Others can smell me. All day.

**I** can smell me - but not in a strong overpowering way. I think the initial sprays onto my body while still wet lets the fragrance settle into my skin, making it MY scent. Then the lotion kind of seals it in and the couple of sprays on top are just icing on the cake.

I walk around smelling good, but it's like MY scent rather than, "Oh my gosh! Who's wearing too much perfume?!?!?"

Thanks Diva! Others might try to say you're crazy, but I'm a convert.

Hey Virgo75!

Thank you for saying that. I get pm's about how good my concoctions and application methods work quite often. Girl, I be trying to tell them. There is always someone who has to disagree with Diva instead of giving their suggestion and moving on. It's so not that serious. But you know what........

We smells goooooooooooood!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    Hey Virgo75!

Thank you for saying that. I get pm's about how good my concoctions and application methods work quite often. Girl, I be trying to tell them. There is always someone who has to disagree with Diva instead of giving their suggestion and moving on. It's so not that serious. But you know what........

We smells goooooooooooood!!!!

You're quite welcome Diva!

Can I get an "Amen" to the bolded?! lol

I'm thinking dry skin needs more exfoliating and harsher soaps than "normal" or oily skin. My reasoning is that dry skin doesn't have the oils to loosen the dead skin(and dirt) to allow it to slough off how it should. So it will try to absorb everything - moisture, lotion, perfume - but it just dissipates. The moisture can't sink in and moisturize and the fragrance can't adhere to anything.

My skin is more moisturized using harsher soaps than it is when I use moisturizing bodywashes or bar soaps. I don't think the moisture could get to my skin since the dead skin wasn't able to slough off. But that's just my unprofessional opinion.

All I know is "we smells gooooooooooooood!!!!!" lol

I took my shower and put on some Calyx this morning at about 7a.m. It's almost 3pm and I still smell it - without sticking my nose down my shirt or sniffing my arm.

I can see that Divatologists method would work. I put on lotion, either unscented or matching the perfume I am going to wear, after my shower in the am. I apply it to damp, freshly exfoliated skin. I also have very dry skin that sucks up fragrance. (Yeah, Fracas becomes a "light gardenia scent" on me!)
    Layering helps a lot. Miss Dior has everything from soap to deodorant to all levels of perfume, I use the soap and lotion and perfume. Sometimes I don't wear the perfume to work, but save that till after work. I apply lotion to my hands several times during the day as I handle a lot of paper.
    Using some of the oil concoctions available on the internet can work, too. BPAL, Possets, Goth Rosary, etc.

Blog Entries

ladies! gentleman! why argue over something so trivial as application method? i mean..COME ON! try not to get offended when someone says your way doesn't work for them diva...and i'm sure scentologist could've phrased it better that whole "common sense" seemed like a shot at you. but sheesh talk about a vicious bark down girl! yowzers!
    Last edited by reneirwold878; 13th April 2008 at 05:41 AM.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

Blog Entries

I just saw some FIERCE responses!

Last edited by Hollandaze; 13th April 2008 at 07:12 AM.

Please try this tips for wearing a perfume:
    http://www.extremeperfumes.com/news/...aring-perfume/

Quote Originally Posted by reneirwold878 View Post
    ladies! gentleman! why argue over something so trivial as application method? i mean..COME ON! try not to get offended when someone says your way doesn't work for them diva...and i'm sure scentologist could've phrased it better that whole "common sense" seemed like a shot at you. but sheesh talk about a vicious bark down girl! yowzers!

You know I repeated the fact that it really isn't that serious for real, but the thing that gets me is some folks on here just take it too far sometimes. You see some of the folks go to the local mall or perfume shop and meet a couple of perfumers. They read a book or and article about perfume. They listen to what "The Professional Authorities" say as if it were the gospel Honey. They work in perfume/cosmetics and that makes them an authority on perfume in every aspect. That's cool too. I'm not knockin anything they have, but until you actually test one's theory, then you should keep your mouth shut about what you "think" you know.

What I want to get across to most is that I am not a follower. I damn sure don't believe everything I read or have been told. You see when they came up with all this mess about how to do this and that regarding perfume, I wasn't standing in the guinea pig line. I took the time out to discover myself and what works for me. I've read the samethings everyone else has, but have found great humor in it all. I mean do people even sit down and think about what they are saying sometimes? Do you even process what has been written? These people are here to make money. They are gonna tell you anything they can to get you to buy their product. They are gonna make up all kinds of things to get your attention. They pray on those who can't or just don't want to find things out for themselves. It's just like you have 2 people who get the same homework assignment. One person just wants to find the answers and be done with it. I'm that person who wants to know the answer and where it came from. I want to know why it is what it is. I don't just want the answer. I want the knowledge. That's what they pray on. Folks who just want the answer. I'm gonna take what you have given me and what I may have found and come up with my own summation.

You see scentologist doesn't know if my method works or doesn't work because he hasn't tried it. You see somebody told him that method wouldn't work, but he don't know me, hasn't seen me, and he sure ain't smelled me. So, I didn't take offense to that. It's the fact that they think "The Professional Authorities" know my body better than I do. I took the time to learn what works and what doesn't work for me. I've tried all those other things that people mention too, but my method gives the results that I want.

So, don't worry Boo Boo. No matter what anyone says or does, Diva will always be fabulous in whatever she does. Huhm you better ask somebody, cause when you step to Diva, you best know what you talkin bout. Prepare to be delt with in the appropriate manner. Divatude don't cost a dime. I will give it to you at no cost to you. Now if you will excuse me, the guys in ER just called to say that they haven't smelled me today. I must go give them a whiff. Man, I hope it didn't evaporate. Oh wait let me check with "The Professional Authorities" before I smell myself..........Man, this one just cracks me up! "The Professional Authorities". I love it.

It's all love Babes. Everything is cool. There are just somethings that all of us will never agree on. That's life in the world of perfume and "The Professional Authorities". OMG!! I love it! I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Try Dove unscented soap. Even if you dont use it every day, I've started using it and it can make a difference (although if you have dry skin, it might make things worse!)
    Yea, Dove soap is the bomb.. although I just wanted to point out I use Dove soap because I have dry skin. It is 1/4 moisturizing cream and really helps relieve it!

I have been told to first apply the (alcohol containing) scent, and then the body lotion. This because otherwise the alcohol will react with the oils in the body lotion. Once the perfume has dried it will be safe to apply the body lotion, which applied afterwards also will work as a protection layer.

But - well - I dont use body lotion, and Im not a chemist...

spray your clothes. I typically get 6 hours skin, 24 hours shirt, with the same frag.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

wear unscented lotion if you spray on your skin or simply spray on your clothes.

I'm new to basenotes, but I have been wearing cologne for years, and let me tell you - Divatologist's method works.

Before I found basenotes, I would wear cologne and wonder why the certain scents didn't last, and others seemed to last for days. i always chalked it up to body chemistry and the fact that some scents just didn't agree with my skin. While body chemistry is important, you can still increase the longevity by using this method.

Today is the second time I've tried Divatogist's method (putting on the cologne right out of the shower, then the lotion, then a little more scent) and my sillage is quite awesome at the moment.

I'm wearing Issey Miyake's L'eau D'Issey, and before I would get maybe an hour or two out of it, but now it lasts for around 6-7 hours!

My skin is a little different, so I made some modifications - I don't have dry skin, so during the shower phase I wash only once or twice (at least once with an exfoliating body wash), and I don't scrub so hard. I also use a non-comedogenic, non-scented lotion.

I scent myself (chest, shoulders) right after the shower while my skin is still cooling down (and my pores are starting to close), then after a minute or two I apply the lotion. [I think this helps with longevity by causing your skin to "absorb" the scent and lock it up, then as the day goes on and your skin warms up, your pores open again, releasing more scent.] After that I put on my deodorant and I shave [totally different regimen, about 5-6 minutes]. Then I spray a SMALL amount of scent again on my chest, and immediately put on my undershirt. One or two sprays on the undershirt, then I get dressed, and one more spray on my neck.

It may sound like a lot of scent, but I have a long drive to work, and I come in way earlier than anyone else, so it has to last, as I don't carry scent with me to reapply.

Obviously if it's a scent that tends to overpower (JPG Le Male) or one that already lasts forever on me (Creed Himalaya) then I use a lot less.

So the bottom line is, I'm sitting here at my desk (4 hours after my application), and this is the first time I've really been able to notice Issey's drydown on my skin, and I must admit, I smell awesome.

Diva, you rock!

That perfume tray is a little bit frightening though. :P

EDIT: Just got a compliment from another guy in my office, wanting to know what I was wearing. Maybe I used too much!
    Last edited by baudilus; 21st April 2008 at 12:53 PM.

Baudilus 1st let me welcome you to Basenotes!!!

I just want to say thank you for at least trying my method 1st and then making a comment about it. You'll find all kinds of interesting ways to wear frags around here. I encourage you to try alot of different ways. Of course I like my method best...*giggle*. I try to tell folks my skin regimen really works. It's basic anatomy & physiology and microbiology (I'm a nursing student). The wonderful thing about my method is those bursts of fragrance you'll get through out the day as your skin goes through a very natural process that happens every day. The body sercretes and excretes. The beautiful thing is not only have you rubbed that scent into your skin, but you have added moisturizer to help with the absorption. Now, all day long as your body secretes and excretes those bursts of scent will come on through.

You know what LOL!! That use to be just a link, but now all of a sudden my pic is showing. I'm gonna take it down cause it is a tad bit on the scary side. Enjoy your stay at BN!!! It's all love around here.

So... I'm kind of a geek. And I kind of wanted to have some quantifiable data. Some notes I have taken over the past week:

1. Effect of temperature on fragrance longevity

Perfumes kept at different temperatures evaporate at a rate approximately proportional to the increase in temperature. I applied five sprays of L de Lolita Lempicka to each of three Petri dishes spread with a thin layer of Nivea skin cream and kept the Petri dishes at either A) room temperature, B) room temperature with one handwarmer below the dish, or C) room temperature with two handwarmers below the dish. Dishses were left uncovered to allow fragrance to evaporate. Sniff tests at 15, 30, and 60 minutes revealed that treatment C lost its top notes fastest and revealed the base notes very quickly, but also vanished within 30 minutes. My skin temperature, as tested by thermometer, is about the same as treatment B, that is, one handwarmer above room temperature. The perfume's top notes were gone by 30 minutes but the base notes were still going strong at 60 minutes. This stands with what I feel happens on my skin itself (I apply fragrance on the neck, chest, and sometimes behind the ears, where I have normal skin, neither oily nor dry).

---Summary: Heat can and will affect the rate at which a fragrance evaporates. Increased heat will lead to swifter loss of fragrance.

2. Effect of water on fragrance longevity

Same treatment as above, but no handwarmers. Instead, after spraying perfume on the lotion in the Petri dishes, I added either A) 0 mL, B) 3 mL, or C) 5 mL of warm water (doesn't sound like a lot, but let me tell you, a Petri dish is really small and you can't add that much water to it). The water was gently spread around on the plates and another three sprays of fragrance were applied to each plate. Once again, dishes were left uncovered to allow for evaporation. Sniff tests at 15, 30 and 60 minutes showed that the treatment with the most water (treatment C) was the weakest in scent. This may be because the scent itself was diluted by water, or because of evaporation. Considering the effect of temperature on scent evaporation, I lean towards the latter.

--- Summary: Humidity (water content) can and will affect fragrance longevity. Applying fragrance to bases with more water content may either speed up the rate of evaporation or dilute the fragrance.

3. In vivo tests (on my body)

This is for my particular skin chemistry only. After showering, I applied fragrance (five sprays) while my skin was still very warm and completely wet and spread the fragrance over my neck and chest. I then applied lotion and another three sprays of fragrance (no spreading, just spray to the neck and chest). I repeated this for three days. Then I changed the treatment: after showering, I dried my body off, applied lotion, then five sprays of fragrance, waited fifteen minutes, applied more lotion, and another three sprays of fragrance. Once again, three days. One more treatment: after showering, I applied lotion, dried off completely (30 minutes- I have fine, straight Asian hair, so my hair is pretty dry within 30 minutes), sprayed myself five times, applied more lotion, and sprayed myself three times. Three days.

Discoveries:

The best treatment for me is not to apply fragrance directly after a shower. I find that my precious L evaporates almost immediately and I get almost no longevity. I suspect it's because my body retains heat very well- after a shower, I can feel warm and happy with (gasp!) no clothes on for a couple of hours at least. However, drying off completely is no good for me, either. I get what I think of as "normal" longevity if I wait until I'm totally dry: 3-4 hours.

You can see where this is going. A middle route, I found, was the best way to get longevity out of my perfume. I find that towelling off first to get extra water off my body and out of my hair, then applying lotion, then perfume, waiting, then lotion and perfume again, was the way to get an extra couple of hours out of the fragrance. Six, maybe seven hours.

That concludes my study of perfume longevity. I am way too poor to continue to discover if walking through clouds of fragrance will be of any help.

And now, I study for organic chemistry. Strangely enough, we have a section on aromatics. Also drugs.

Going to try Diva's way.... with the faint and fast fading Green Irish Tweed.

Blog Entries

I tried Divatologist's way (or at least some bastardized variation of it), I'm not sure if it's working. Here's what I did. Bare in mind, I used Dove body wash and Old Spice Red Zone "After Hours" body wash. The stuff I used was those poofy wash things and I just bought one of those "soap saver" things that you put over your hand and the surface is a less abrasive version of those scrubbers used to wash dishes. I couldn't find an exfoliating glove anywhere at Walmart, so I suppose that's a good alternative?

First, I just soak in the shower for a good 10 minutes. Then I start by washing using the poofy thing with Dove. After that, I use that over the hand "soap saver" scrubber pad thing with the Red Zone body wash. I make sure i scrub extra good on the areas I'm going to spray cologne. I try to shower with water as hot as I can stand. Now here's the part I was kinda confused about, but I just did with my best recollection since I can't bring a print out of directions with me in the shower. LOL.

I get out. I grab a bottle of whatever I'm going to wear. While I'm still a bit soaked, I don't towel dry the upper part of my body yet. I spray on the stuff. The alcohol in the fragrance burns like hell and that's an indication that I cleaned really good. If I'm not mistaken. Then I applied unscented Neutragena moisturizing oil (which says to apply while the skin's still damp anyway) and rub it all over the spots I got cologne on already. Then I apply unscented lotion and get that lotion in my skin real good. Then I respray a couple more shots.

I did do the soaking in the bath tub for 30 minutes and scrubbing thing too (once a week should be coo, right?).

Did I get this right? Haha. I tried this method with Paris HIlton Heir (the time I did clean so well that the alcohol burned after the bath). i did the other parts of the method with CK Crave and L'eau Par Kenzo (which both don't have the same staying power as my 212 and Aqva). I did notice one thing though. Heir, Kenzo, and 212 sticks really well to clothing because I can still smell it or get whiffs of it from the collars. 212's expected to have good staying power, but it was nice to have Kenzo stick around for the next day. Just a tad though, not like I'd get crazy sillage from any cologne that was put on 16-24 hours ago.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 22nd April 2008 at 02:32 AM.

Thanks for at least trying my way guys.

Pydepiper go head Boo with your little scientific experiment. I am so glad you tried my way as well.

Rawk Lee you're close. Yeah, that alcohol will light that ass up when you scrub good LMAO!! The only thing is you get the water as hot as you can stand it in the tub not the shower. See, I don't take hot showers. I take lukewarm to cold showers. I start off with lukewarm water and end with cold water. To me it kind of defeats the purpose of a shower if you come out of there sweating. Even in the winter I take cold showers. I love the cold. I'm a cold-blooded person, yeah like no one could figure that out. My normal body temp is 96.7 to 97.1. My hands and feet are cold all year long. My body is cold to the touch. It stays 65 degrees in my house all year long.

So, I think the evaporation theory would apply to those that take hot showers and come out of the shower hot and sweating. That theory or test wouldn't work for me because I have very dry skin and I don't come out of the shower with hot sweaty skin....parish the thought of Diva sweating. Can I just say EW! Anyway, it's always great to discover one's own body. My skin drinks everything I put on it. So, this method works for me.

Keep on trying guys!!!

Tried it. My friend says he can smell me, but I can't smell myself. I exfoliated in the shower, then applied the fragrance when I stepped out with wet skin. Then I applied body lotion. The bad thing is, I am very hot natured and my exhaust fan is broken in my bathroom at the moment, so it was hot and humid! I started to sweat, which probably ruined the experiment. Will try again though, but I think I'll apply it before and after moisturizing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    Thanks for at least trying my way guys.

Pydepiper go head Boo with your little scientific experiment. I am so glad you tried my way as well.

Rawk Lee you're close. Yeah, that alcohol will light that ass up when you scrub good LMAO!! The only thing is you get the water as hot as you can stand it in the tub not the shower. See, I don't take hot showers. I take lukewarm to cold showers. I start off with lukewarm water and end with cold water. To me it kind of defeats the purpose of a shower if you come out of there sweating. Even in the winter I take cold showers. I love the cold. I'm a cold-blooded person, yeah like no one could figure that out. My normal body temp is 96.7 to 97.1. My hands and feet are cold all year long. My body is cold to the touch. It stays 65 degrees in my house all year long.

So, I think the evaporation theory would apply to those that take hot showers and come out of the shower hot and sweating. That theory or test wouldn't work for me because I have very dry skin and I don't come out of the shower with hot sweaty skin....parish the thought of Diva sweating. Can I just say EW! Anyway, it's always great to discover one's own body. My skin drinks everything I put on it. So, this method works for me.

Keep on trying guys!!!
    I'll be sure to reverse that then. With summer coming around, I'll take cooler showers. The bath was with semi-cool water, BTW, cuz my stupid ass had the hot water on, but I forgot to turn off the drain. x_x I'll try the bath thing tomorrow again...but with hot water and remember to turn on the drain. LOL. I'll try it with CK Crave. That stuff tends to disappear on me after a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    Tried it. My friend says he can smell me, but I can't smell myself. I exfoliated in the shower, then applied the fragrance when I stepped out with wet skin. Then I applied body lotion. The bad thing is, I am very hot natured and my exhaust fan is broken in my bathroom at the moment, so it was hot and humid! I started to sweat, which probably ruined the experiment. Will try again though, but I think I'll apply it before and after moisturizing.

Runstile try gradually making the water cooler as you shower. At the end of your shower, use a burst of cool water. I use to take piping hot showers too, but got to the point where I had to literally stand in front of a fan to cool off before I could do anything else to keep from fainting from the heat. I hate being hot. That's why I moved from down south. I never get the shower hot enough to even fog up the mirror. You might want to try lukewarm water first and then gradually work your way to cool. Your shower water doesn't have to be hot, but that's what most prefer.

That's probably it, Diva. I'm of the opinion that I should come out of the shower warm and toasty (it's COLD here in Canada!) and at least pink if not somewhat red. Hot showers are a godsend....

Outside of application method, there are several other factors that determine how much longevity you will get with a particular scent.

1) Body Chemistry / Sweat

This is arguably the most important factor - there are organisms and compounds on your skin that are unique to you, and the way they react with a fragrance will be different for everyone. (Although your skin will generally be very similar to your siblings, and also very close to your same-gender parent.) If a scent doesn't like to stay on your skin, and you'd like it to, you have two options: keep applying it (or apply more) or change to a new scent.

How a frag responds to salt is also important, and this is common for everyone. When your skin reaches a certain temperature, you begin to sweat (your body sweats, then transfers it's heat to the sweat, causing it to evaporate). Outside of your pubic (read: hairy) areas, your sweat is mostly water and salt. Different frags will react to this differently - some are enhanced, some disappear, and others start to smell bad.

2) Skin Type

As stated before, dry skin will absorb fragrance more readily than oily or "normal" skin. This has been addressed in previous posts, so I won't go into it here.

3) Alcohol concentration

This is the most overlooked part of a frag - Alcohol evaporates very quickly. The purpose of the alcohol is as a transfer mechanism - it has the frag infused into it, and when it's sprayed onto the skin, the alcohol evaporates and leaves the "dry" frag on the skin.

Try different types of scents to see how they work with your skin, but generally, frags with a higher alcohol content (aftershave, EDC) will not last as long as frags with less alcohol (EDP, Pure perfume).

There are also perfumes / colognes that are based in oil as opposed to alcohol, so give those a try as well.

One other side note - the base notes of a fragrance will have an effect on how long the scent lasts on your skin - so if you find one that works well, try looking for others with the some of the same base notes. [This is why Creed scents seem to last forever on me.]

This is the main reason why I disregard the parts of the reviews here that say "it doesn't last long enough." Very often, you will find another review for the same scent that says the exact opposite.

Yeah, I did a cooler shower tonight and didn't sweat afterwards, however, I felt like Acqua di Parma body lotion for a relaxing evening. Will try the fragrance method tomorrow and let you know. Oh, I did smell the GIT I applied last night faintly this morning, so I have a feeling it helped a little. Will confirm it though.

Blog Entries

Fahrenheit 32's still on me and I applied it 8 hours ago. Yay!

I tried a colder shower this morning, and I didn't sweat, but I don't usually sweat when coming out of the shower. I didn't notice much of a difference, but I did notice a difference yesterday - instead of leaving my chest wet, I pat dried it, then followed the same procedure as the day before - outside of feel less awkward, I noticed that the scent didn't seem to "waft" as easily. I could still smell it, but I had to try. And close us I could still smell it in the morning, after applying at 4:45 AM the previous day.

It could be the fact that I changed scent to something that stay a lot closer to the skin though. Tomorrow, as much as it pains me, I will wear the same scent but try the colder shower / wet application method, and report my results.

hmm the read was too long, but let me try to get it striaght
    1) get out the shower and don't towel dry the upper body
    2) spray frag (while dripping wet?)
    3) apply lotion (right after spray?)
    4) spray again

ALSO say if i don't have the option to shower in the morning, what would be the best way?
    lotion first or spray first?

thanks in advance

Its good to shower with warm water to kill germs and open the pores but I agree about ending in cooler water. I can't stand to sweat when getting out which is a risk in the summer. Cool water will close the pores back.

Try waiting awhile to apply after bathing. The moisture in your skin evaporates and takes the scent with it if you apply when yr still wet. Also, if you shower in the morning, wait till evening to juice up. Or shower at night and then in the morning, apply. The showering strips oil from yr skin, which is a natural adhesive. You should let the oil in your skin build back up (a few hours) so the scent sticks. Try Dove soap or a non deodorant soap, like Dr. Bronner's or a non scent shower gel. Or a shower gel that matches the scent.

I will try echo's suggestion next - I am running out of Polo DB though, I hope it lasts long enough to finish my tests.
    Last edited by baudilus; 24th April 2008 at 10:52 AM.

Tried it again. Diva's method, in my opinion, makes a "scented body lotion", which is an excellent base/foundation to apply fragrance. I like her way, but I also apply over the scent/lotion layer. This gives me around 2-3 extra hours of longevity for GIT and other fleeting fragrances. This method is not necessary for heavy scents in my opinion.
    Last edited by runstile; 24th April 2008 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks for the tips
    Last edited by Diverdown; 5th June 2008 at 01:38 AM.

Fragrances vanish from me very quickly if I don't shower with a moisturizing soap. Right now I'm using Nancy Boy, which does wonders for my skin and allows the scent of perfumes to last all day.