Code of Conduct

Unhappy How to open stuck glass stopper from the perfume bottle?

I have a vintage Perfume bottle with more than half of the perfume is still inside. However, the glass stopper is stuck and I can't open the glass stopper.

Is there anyway to open the glass stopper?
    I have tried placing the cap and top of the bottle in hot water but it does not work. Both of them are probably of the same material so both expand in hot water.

Any idea besides this. Placing it in hot water will destroy this vintage Penhaligon's.

Default Re: How to open stuck glass stopper from the perfume bottle?

There was a thread about this earlier, and the hot water worked for someone else. I can't think of anything, but if worse comes to worse, just get a drill, drill a little hole in the bottom, and let it leak out into an atomsier. That way, you still have a nice bottle, and the fragrance itself

Try getting one of those can-of-air dusters from an office or computer supply store. Then turn it upside down and spray the stopper. Try to avoid spraying the neck of the bottle. The air/chemical coming out of the spray-can will be extremely cold and should contract (shrink) the stopper enough to break the flacon's grip.

When you spray a can-of-air upside-down as described above, some of the chemical propellant will condense and drip from the tube or nozzle. You don't want this getting into your juice so if possible, try to wrap some type of thin cloth or a damp paper towl around the stopper/flacon-opening (but still leaving most of the stopper exposed) so that it will soak up any chemical dripping from the spray-can. Or, just be sure to hold the can/spray-tube far enough away that it can't drip onto the stopper or top of the flacon but not far enough away that you are spraying the stopper AND the neck of the flacon. You only want the stopper to get cold and contract, not the flacon opening.

----------------------

You could also just try applying cold to the stopper by using ice wrapped in something that won't let water leak onto the stopper and possible drip into the juice. The point is, you need to make the stopper sufficiently cold without making the neck or the rest of the flacon cold.

----------------------

<edit> Upon further thought, cooling the stopper AND the neck of the flacon would be desirable. Both pieces of glass (stopper & flacon neck) should contract away from each other. This then, gives you a third option (besides the two listed above): just put the bottle in the fridge for an hour or two. However, this will also cool the juice which will then warm back up when you remove it from the fridge. Personally, I would rather not subject the juice to that kind of temperature fluctuation but if the fridge is the most practical for you, once probably won't damage the juice.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 4th April 2008 at 05:57 PM.

Oh man, now I broke the top but the stopper is still stuck.
    Is there still anyway to open the bottle?
    Last edited by ultranova3; 4th April 2008 at 08:24 PM.

The top of the stopper broke off or part of the flacon neck broke?

If the stopper broke, I guess you'll have to find something to glue to the remaining piece so that you'll have something to pull on. The cold technique(s) above still applies.

But since the stopper or flacon is now broken, you're going to need to transfer the juice to another container (atomizer?), so it may be just as well to put the whole bottle in the fridge for a few hours or overnight, then just up-end the bottle over a bowl of some sort and hope the stopper and juice comes out. Then pour the juice into another atomizer or other suitable container.

man this used to always happen with my roors.

Too bad, but even someone with considerable experience in freeing glass stoppers may have been unable to open this bottle. This is a well known problem with glass stoppers.

At this point, as was suggested, your best option may be to drill a hole in the bottle. It depends on how badly you want to get to this vintage juice. If you want to drill a hole you will want to experiment on expendable bottles first or go to a glass worker who has done this before. You will need not a drill bit for wood or metal but an abrasive drill intended for use on glass.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Here's another idea but only practical if you happen to have close, easy access to laboratory equipment.

Break the bottle with a hammer into a clean container of some sort, pick out all the large pieces of glass (carefully!), and then strain the juice into an atomizer through a laboratory-grade inert paper filter. I wouldn't use a coffee or tea filter as these may contain chemicals (glues, binders, etc.) that could react with liquids such as alcohol or other chemicals in the perfume and ruin it.

Since glass doesn't float, you may be able to just pour off the liquid into an atomizer without using any kind of filter.

I guess the only way is ti break it.
    I need to find filter paper and clean glass funne with empty atomizer.

Thank you very much for the help

Hello fellow Singaporean, my heart goes out to you. If you ever have to do this again, try a hair dryer. Aim the stream of hot air at where the stopper is stuck, away from the body of the bottle. This usually causes the gummed up juice to liquify and the stopper then can be eased out.

For your present situation, I'd use a cutter along a metal rule on the glass neck below the stopper, cutting a groove all around it. Then I'd clamp the bottle and hit the top (above the groove) off with a metal hammer. The top and bottom will come apart, splitting along the groove. I'd definitely filter the juice. (Ask anybody in a science lab to get you some filter paper.)

-Destructive.

i would add to the above...freeze it in the fridge and then blow it with a hot blower...sudden contraction should jolt away the stopper...

Adding to an old thread: I just repaired a broken Arpege stopper with epoxy and successfully removed the frozen stopper. I broke it using metal pliers and a twisting motion, although I had chilled the stopper and warmed the bottle, it broke clean off. Rubber-coated pliers and a direct, up and out motion is best.

Here's what worked to fix it:

I first roughed up the edges of the two pieces with a diamond nail file, and using 30 minute work-time epoxy, the kind you mix, glued the pieces together carefully, being careful to not get glue on anything but the stopper pieces.

After an hour or so, I stretched two thick rubber bands, crisscrossed at 90 degree angles, around the stopper and bottle to hold the pieces fast. Then, I waited 24 hours.

Today, I put the bottle in a dish of warm (not hot) water, and placed an ice pack on top of the stopper, then waited a few minutes.

Next, I gripped the stopper in a pair of rubber/plastic-coated, heavy-duty, squeeze-handled clamps--a tool I didn't know I had earlier, before I broke the stopper--and pulled up and out gently, with no twisting motion. It pulled right out, and in one piece!

Epoxy works! Patience to not break the stopper in the first place would probably work better!

Here is step by step directions from Sorcery of Scent's blog: http://sorceryofscent.blogspot.com/2...e-stopper.html Very important thing he mentions is, that you should twist the stopper in a clockwise direction only.
    Last edited by Habanitta; 29th January 2012 at 12:10 PM.