Code of Conduct

Thread: So weird.

Red face So weird.

I revisited some houses I had been sceptical about in the past and now I found myself liking some of them a lot. Villoresi was one of them, but recently also Serge Lutens and now Comme des Garcons.
    I even repurchased two of the Incense series (Avignon and Jaisalmer) and now I find myself wearing these almost everyday.
    Sorry guys, I guess I'm only human, or maybe this is one of the mysteries of fragrance collecting? Maybe I'll hate them again in a few years.

Default Re: So weird.

Be glad! Because the other way round is, at least to me, very painful: Witnessing the decline of initial enthusiasm. It's like the fading of a love...

I tried Comme de Garson (actually, the first 'niche' perfume I've ever tried!) Incense - Kyoto today. To my nose, it was almost exactly the same on a card as Kenzo air was on my wrist. I enjoyed Kenzo Air, and Kyoto was nice, but I cannot see any reason so spend nearly 4 times as much for Kyoto!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

The 'Liker' and 'The Disliker' are Mirages in the Panorama of Experiencing. One can never change into the Other since both are phantom Abstractions. Untouched, Experiencing has no care for transient Freeloaders...

Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I am impressed that you wear Avignon every day. I find it very difficult to wear it! What do other people say about it?

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    Be glad! Because the other way round is, at least to me, very painful: Witnessing the decline of initial enthusiasm. It's like the fading of a love...
    You speak the truth.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    I am impressed that you wear Avignon every day. I find it very difficult to wear it! What do other people say about it?

I'm not sure if I wore Avignon or Jaisalmer, but I think these are very subtle scents. The trick is not to spray more then two.
    I've had several guys at work asking me what scent I wore. I replied simply with CdG, cause I'm almost sure noone knows the scent. I didn't investigate further if they liked it or not, cause frankly I don't care, lol!
    One guy asked where he could buy it, cause he liked it. I told him to look online or to search for CdG Man, cause I think they are a bit similar.
    Last edited by eric; 4th April 2008 at 02:28 PM.

I've gone through phases, so from my experience I'd say that the following might happen:

You find a frag that is so good that it ruins all the others for you. When this happened to me, I soon found myself uninterested in any frag, even the perfect one. After a short while, though, I put the perfect one aside and went back to the others, finding that it's the imperfections that make a frag worth coming back to.

There were also times when I really liked heavy scents, and that ruined the lighter ones for me. Now, I only spray the heavy ones below the knees, and that seems to keep them in line with the lighter ones, which I spray on my chest.

So now I've come to the point where I don't like using the same frag two days in a row. I have several dozen to choose from, so I'm always interested in trying a frag that I haven't in at least a week, usually longer, to see if there's something I missed the last time I used it.

This happens to me a lot. But the bigger problem I have is that some fragrances actually smell different to me over time, and that is why I change my opinions on them.

Sometimes, with increased exposure comes increased sophistication. As you train your nose, you can more easily recognize talent and quality, especially for houses, such as the ones you've listed, that produce scents that are far from the mainstream. Perhaps you should re-visit some other houses that you might not have liked previously.

Off-Scenter

Happens all the time. Tastes change and evolve, and wider olfactory experience often leads to appreciation of something once unloved.

I used to be in a huge MPG phase but stopped wearing them for awhile. I recently bought Santal Noble and Racine and love them both despite the fact that Santal Noble has been changed. I've also been wearing Villoresi Sandalo and Uomo a lot too and love them.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Uomo is one well-made fragrance.