Code of Conduct

Default Is "Silver Mountain Water" the right name for it?

Does anyone know why Silver Mountain Water is thusly named?

I'm often impressed at how well many fragrances, particularly Niche are named, and also how the colour of the juice and/or bottle is often such a great match for the smell.

However, when it comes to SMW I just don't get it. Himalaya for instance, smells like frostly mountain clouds - Himalaya's a great name, and silver's a great colour. It's such a perfect colour that I need an atomizer for my Himalaya, since I broke the spritzer on it, and I refuse to get one, unless I can find silver or black! Anything seems wrong!

But why is SMW in a white bottle? And what about it is reminiscent of silver, or mountains, or water, or mountain water (apart from the fact that alot of Creeds have a watery aspect to them)?

I see ochre, I see indigo, I see red, I see purple, I see crushed velvet - "Blue Velvet" there's a name for it! I see felt, I see wine - but Silver and white I don't see? Mountains I don't see.

What's the story?

Does anyone instinctively get the name?
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 4th April 2008 at 04:05 PM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Sur la Plage

Default Re: The name "Silver Mountain Water"

The Creed website says SMW is "inspired by the exhilarating crispness of mountain air and the purity of cascading alpine streams - with citrus notes, tea, blackcurrant, musk and ambergris".

I don't see that either, especially with those notes. But apparently someone did.......
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: Is "Silver Mountain Water" the right name for it?

Ah, but dear Ceasar, do you connect the smell to a name, or do you name a fragrance according to the smell?

Would you have thought of 'frostly mountain clouds' if you did NOT know that the fragrance was called 'Himalaya'? Or is it all cognitive dissonance?

After all, even for niche frags but especially for mainstream frags, it's the marketing department who decides on a name in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    The Creed website says SMW is "inspired by the exhilarating crispness of mountain air and the purity of cascading alpine streams - with citrus notes, tea, blackcurrant, musk and ambergris".

I don't see that either, especially with those notes. But apparently someone did.......

And yeah, it's also the marketing department that puts these descriptions on the websites.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 4th April 2008 at 04:07 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Ah, but dear Ceasar, do you connect the smell to a name, or do you name a fragrance according to the smell?

Would you have thought of 'frostly mountain clouds' if you did NOT know that the fragrance was called 'Himalaya'?
    I think the names and colours definitely have an impact on how we percieve the fragrance, *but* the fact remains, that to me Himalaya smells like the name it has, and the colours attributed to it are appropriate, but meanwhile SMW and it's colours seem totally wrong for it. If it was the name determining how I smelled it, I'd think it smelled just like "the exhilarating crispness of mountain air and the purity of cascading alpine streams" instead of thinking it smelled like mulled wine or warm slightly fermented tea!

You don't think Oliver Creed makes the names up? Or Lutens or Montale make up their fragrance names?

I bet L'Artisan and Hermes have people hired to make names, but I think the above would be making their own names!
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

I'm a big fan of SMW and completely "get" the packaging and description. It all fits perfectly for me. I totally don't get your color, etc. interpretation of it. I think this is easily expained in our case: I get strong citrus, metallic, and fresh accords from this while you seem to get the heavier tea and black currant notes.

At the same time, I think SMW would fit Himalaya's packaging and description better than Himalaya. I get a strong fruity accord from Himalaya which overpowers the remaining freshness I might associate with a mountain environment or the color silver.

Actually, I have no idea who is in charge of the names at Creed, and who comes up with those descriptions of the scent on the website. I can't imagine dad & son Creed running the *whole* perfume business by themselves, you know. But, curious to know. It's all about perception anyway...
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 4th April 2008 at 05:36 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

The name implies "unisexuality", which it blatantly is.