Code of Conduct

Default The 80's: Polo, Drakkar Noir, Azzaro

These perfumes represent the 80's for me. Everybody wore Polo green, Drakkar noir or Azzaro at that time. I was wearing azzaro when I gave my first kiss. One of my girlfriends demanded that I use Polo, and I gave her a perfumed teddy bear with this fragrance. Many of my friends wore Drakkar Noir.

These perfumes are rarely mentioned here at Basenotes. What do you think of them, and do you still wear them?

Lucius

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 5th April 2008 at 02:06 AM.

Default Re: The 80's: Polo, Drakkar Noir, Azzaro

Polo Green is a staple in my fragrance collection. To me this is the Chanel No5 of men's fragrances.

The only one of these I've smelled (that I'm aware of) is Drakkar Noir. My friend wore it in college (a few years ago). I found it to be quite horrendous, and that was when he wasn't bathing in it, as he did once. Truly a horrible car ride, that was!
    Last edited by HughLloyd; 5th April 2008 at 02:37 AM.
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

Sur la Plage

During the 80s, Polo was my everyday work scent and Drakkar was my going out at night scent. I haven't worn either in many years though.

For some reason, I never owned Azzaro. However, I keep seeing it at Marshalls/TJ Maxx and have been tempted on a few occasions to pick it up. I'm sure I will someday soon.....
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I have Polo and Drakkar in my medicine cabinet. Will never wear them again but I take a whiff every now and then just to evoke some wonderful memories.

To me, the archetypal 80's scent is Halston Z-14, which, frankly, I still find to be devastatingly sexy. I read somewhere that Cartier Santos is like a luxe Z-14, so I ordered a mini of it that should get here tomorrow.

Then there's Xeryus, which is perennially delicious. I was wearing it every day for a while just last year, although I do think it has been reformulated. The terragon note is much stronger now.

Gucci Nobile is one of my staples and it's very 80's. The pepper notes are what keep me coming back. One friend of mine finds Nobile to be irresistible and whenever I wear it she wants to bury her nose in my shirt.

I was happily lost in the world of Giorgio for Men from the mid 80s until a few years ago.

I have a bottle of Drakkar Noir from the 80s but don't remember buying it. It is only recently that I discovered Polo (green), Azzaro pour Homme and a host of other 80s fragrances.

I keep Drakkar Noir around and try it every once in awhile - hoping that someday it will click with me.

Polo (green) and Azzaro pH are timeless fragances that I don't wear nearly often enough.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Polo is nice enough, just not what I seek. It had it's time & place but, for me, it's now a coniferous overkill.

Drakkar is vile. Makes me nauseous just to smell it. Something in it does not agree with me.

Azzaro is beautiful. I still use it. To me, it's timeless. This one conjures up visions of Mediterranean beaches, warm winds rustling a white cotton shirt...

Isn't Azzaro the fragrance that had magazine print ads which originally read, "Picture yourself in a Portuguese rainforest"?

My regulars during the 80s were Halston Z-14, Van Cleef and Arpels Tsar, Chanel Antaeus, Caswell-Massey Vetiver, and Knize Two. Knize Two was the closest thing I've had to a signature scent, and I wore it regularly well into the 90s.

I never used Polo or Azzaro back then. But now I love Azzaro and also have a bottle of Drakkar Noir. I'm still looking for an older bottle of Tsar, made before the reformulation.

noggs

Drakkar Noir is the first "high end" fragrance I ever bought. I loved that stuff and wore it all the time along with Cool Water. Prior to that I wore stuff like Aspen, Old Spice, etc.
    Interestingly a few days ago I finally tried Polo on my skin while at Macys. I've tested it hundreds of times on a card but this time I tried it on and I really liked it. A powerful tobacco note for sure. I'm surprised this one was so popular. It doesn't go along with the current trend of aquas everyone wears now. Sadly I mostly see men 40+ buying this. I wish more people my age would appreciate the classics.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

No, why live in the past?

I never cared for Polo or Drakkar Noir. I wore Romeo Gigli, Eau Savage, and Colors.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    No, why live in the past?
    I appreciate Renoir and Van Gogh, is it somehow different to appreciate masters in other genres?
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

There's also more diversity in the perfumes of the past than in those of the present, because the number of perfumes that "accumulated" over the decades is huge.

If you refuse to wear older perfumes, you are denying yourself important olfactory experiences.
    Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 5th April 2008 at 04:48 AM.

Overcome By Fumes

I'd be happy to wear any of these three classics.

I have no experience with any of the Polos' or Drakkar... but I own and love Azzaro PH. It's become an important member of my wardrobe and I absolutely can not run out of a bottle.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I've never liked Polo, Azzaro I liked but it didn't last on me, and Drakkar Noir I still find to be an absolutely fabulous scent.

Beats me why it gets rubbished so much around here.

It's fresh fougere/aromatic fougere style is still in fashion among numerous other scents, and it's hardly a powerhouse scent like those perceived as dated from the 80s.

I cannot fathom why a scent can be judged as being poor or bad merely because some individuals chose to overdose themselves with it at the time, in order that it compete with the contemporary powerhouses then in style. Seems like an extremely subjective judgement to me.
    Renato

All brilliant scents which smell as good today as they did then.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    If you refuse to wear older perfumes, you are denying yourself important olfactory experiences.
    Yep, I agree. Polo and Drakkar Noir will always have a place in my wardrobe as they are quality fragrances no matter when they were made. Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to try Azzaro yet.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    These perfumes represent the 80's for me. Everybody wore Polo green, Drakkar noir or Azzaro at that time. I was wearing azzaro when I gave my first kiss. One of my girlfriends demanded that I use Polo, and I gave her a perfumed teddy bear with this fragrance. Many of my friends wore Drakkar Noir.

These perfumes are rarely mentioned here at Basenotes. What do you think of them, and do you still wear them?

Lucius
    I got burned out on Polo a long time ago. Never liked Drakkar Noir, but I did use Kriza Per Uomo back then, and still use it today. I wore Krizia to my first professional job interview and got the job (which sadly turned out to be one of the greater mistakes of my life).
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

I was an undergraduate during the first half of the 80s, and it seemed that everybody in and around San Diego was wearing Drakkar Noir at this time, except me, that is. My then-signature scent was Jacomo de Jacomo, and I also wore plenty of Z-14 and I-12. I've been jonesing to get back to Jacomo de Jacomo lately!