Code of Conduct

Default SotW March 29th to April 4th, 2008

Week #5 of SotW was a record setting week. Each day had the highest number of responses this week over the five weeks I've been keeping track. For the first time since I've been keeping track we had over 100 scents mentioned all seven days. This led to new highs all across the board in every category. Here are those record numbers:

813 posts, Friday was Scent Day this week with 125 posts beating Wednesday by one post
    461 different scents mentioned
    302 single wears (37.1%)

These are significant increases over what I've seen the first five weeks. One thing that would account for it is "its spring" and we all want to smell good to greet the change of the season. Less prosaic might be that you are all aware that I'm keeping track and are making an extra effort to post your SotD's. No matter what the reason, numbers were up. Thursday finally was dethroned as the day of highest use after a four-week stint at the top by both Friday and Wednesday. Even so, Thursday had its highest number ever. Both weekend days went over 100 for the first time, as well.
    What trends did I notice this week? Well if I was going to make this a theme week that theme would have been "vetiver". With five different scents with vetiver in their name in the top 25 each with at least 5 wears. That's not to mention numerous scents with significant vetiver notes heavily populating the upper 50 scents. It looks like when spring shows up, its time to break out the vetiver.
    I noticed, again, some synchronized wear patterns with some groups of Basenoters. What I found interesting was one instance of the group wear had a carryover effect and got another bunch of wears out of that scent. Which makes me wonder if some of us look through the SotD posts and say,"Wow that scent is getting a lot of wear today, maybe I'll try that tomorrow." At least in one case I think that was what happened with one of our top 10.
    It looks like Forum chatter elevated Frederic Malle's French Lover/Bois d'Orage into the top 10 as it had more wears this week than the four previous weeks combined.
    The classic vetiver scent led the way with a record number of wears and this was achieved without a synchronized wear unlike the previous high wear champ.
    The #3 entry rises there on a consistent amount of support and, perhaps, as another spring scented alternative to the vetiver scents.
    For the first time a scent and it's extreme version both make the top 10. Also as last week the persistent support of one member places that scent into the top 10.
    Without further preamble here is this week's top 10
    1.) Guerlain Vetiver 19 wears (2.3%)
    2.) Terre d'Hermes 14 wears (1.7%)
    3.) Thierry Mugler Cologne 11 wears (1.3%)
    4.) Creed Bois du Portugal 9 wears (1.1%)
    4.) Creed Green Irish Tweed 9 wears (1.1%)
    6.) Czech & Speake #88 7 wears (0.8%)
    6.) Dior Homme 7 wears (0.8%)
    8.) Bvlgari Black 6 wears (0.7%)
    8.) Dior Homme Intense 6 wears (0.7%)
    8.) Frederic Malle French Lover/ Bois d'Orage 6 wears (0.7%)
    8.) Narciso Rodriguez for Him 6 wears (0.7%)
    8.) Roger & Gaillet Jean Marie Farina Extra Vielle 6 wears (0.7%)
    8.) Serge Lutens Chergui 6 wears (0.7%)
    8.) Zino Davidoff 6 wears (0.7%)

A completely fascinating week to me as it looks as if we are beginning to see a shift into the warm-weather scents. I'm looking forward to the week ahead to see if some of these trends hold up. It will also be interesting to see what effect Turin and Sanchez's Guide will have on things; as I expect a lot of forum debate on the contents once we all get our hands on the book. This should lead to some of those debated scents seeing bumps in their wears....or not. As always I'm just here to chronicle the goings on of this wild and diverse community. Until next week you keep wearing 'em and I'll keep counting 'em. Have a well-fragranced week.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Default Re: SotW March 29th to April 4th, 2008

What is still absolutely amazing to me is that the top 3 fragrances still only make up ~5% of all fragrances worn!

Thanks again Metro Man! Well done!
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Thanks for all the hard work, was an interesting read as always! (I posted SotDs and SotEs :P)

Love this. With your stat commentary, it's like some kind of sporting event.

Thanks for all of your efforts - I really look forward to your analysis.

If there is anything (within reason) I can do to aid in the accurate reflection of our behaviorial patterns in the wild, please let me know!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Good work indeed! This kind of data is always interesting.

Dependent

Thank you sir and thank your computer for me

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Love this. With your stat commentary, it's like some kind of sporting event.
    Wholeheartedly agree!!

This is quite fascinating and is now on my radar screen! Keep up the excellent work!

Now if we had some mediating variables available to us, we could start exploring associations and bringing to bear some multivariate statistics and regression analyses!