Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances that should not be smelled close to the skin.

There are certain fragrances that smell better at certain distance than directly over the skin. If different EDTs have different sillages, it would make sense for notes to also project differently. Examples of this are:

Rose 31. I have never been able to smell the rose when I try it on my wrist. However, when I suddenly move, I take a whiff at one of the most wonderful masculine roses.
    Grey Flannel. Try to smell it on your skin and all you will get is a green, harsh and pungent smell. However, people around you will get this excellent jasmine-violet combo that makes GF a great Floral.
    M7 has a wonderful syrupy-sweet-wood party, but when smelled close it just becomes headache inducing.
    Now the dilemma is: a lot of times other people are smelling your fragrance different than you. conversely, you may smell something beautiful on someone else and buy the fragrance hoping to smell as good as him/her.
    So what other fragrances smell nice at certain distance, but not so good at close range?

(Before someone says it: axe, D&G pH, Le Male, etc, etc, smell better when they are 50 ft away)
    Last edited by irish; 15th October 2008 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Spelling... I must have dislexia or something.

Default Re: Fragrances that should no be smelled close to the skin.

I mentioned this too recently in a topic regarding the question whether men could wear scents for women, it's just impossible to know how others will smell you.

Anyway, a typical example for me is Annuci. This one smells awfully synthetic and in fact just plain bad when you come within 2 inches of your wrist, otherwise you don't notice this at all.

Kouros smelt horrible when I smelled my skin where it was sprayed.

At a distance, it gives nice sillage and projects a very masculine aura.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    M7 for me has a wonderful syrupy-sweet-wood party, but when smelled close it just becomes headache inducing.
    So what other fragrances smell nice at certain distance, but not so good at close range?
    I share your impressions of Grey Flannel.

I must not get Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne, Musk Ravageur and Antaeus directly from the skin, or I feel sick instantly. I love whiffs of them from the air tremendously. In fact I might prefer one or the other person in the same room to smell of Antaeus or MR to wearing them myself. It's not because they are spicy - it's a certain sweetness which can make me ill. L'Air has some of that also, but then I do not love it that much anyway.
    Iquitos: sickening in small doses, even though I normally love rose notes.
    Last edited by narcus; 6th April 2008 at 06:25 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Egoiste, up close it just has too many things going on!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I mentioned in another thread that frags should come with user's manuals. Because they don't, when someone goes looking for reviews on the internet, they find that reviews can be all over the map for the same frag, and sometimes it's due to how they are trying to test it out.

Completely agreed about the Grey Flannel. Others for me (so far) are Jacomo De Jacomo, Kouros and Black XS.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    I share your impressions of Grey Flannel.

I must not get Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne, Musk Ravageur and Antaeus directly from the skin, or I feel sick instantly. I love whiffs of them from the air tremendously. In fact I might prefer one or the other person in the same room to smell of Antaeus or MR to wearing them myself. It's not because they are spicy - it's a certain sweetness which can make me ill. L'Air has some of that also, but then I do not love it that much anyway.
    Iquitos: sickening in small doses, even though I normally love rose notes.
    And I share your impression of Iquitos.
    Last edited by irish; 6th April 2008 at 06:36 AM.

Default Re: Fragrances that should not be smelled close to the skin.

Paul Smith London smells bitter, leathery and very synthetic when I smell close. On a distance I love it though.

versace dreamer and le male (when first sprayed)
    Last edited by xclusive; 6th April 2008 at 08:16 AM.

None at all really. I never do, I always smell them from a distance....the sillage.

Heritage.

Heritage projects a glorious haze around you of sophistication and elegance.

Put nose to skin and you lose the magic - it's like working out how a magician has done a trick.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    None at all really. I never do, I always smell them from a distance....the sillage.
    AdP Colonia is wonderful to smell directly from the skin.

Probably most fragrances are perceived differently (and more accurately) from a distance for the first time on someone else rather than when we repeatedly smell it on own skin. I think that's part of the reason we never seem to find that "holy grail" scent. Then there's the phenomenon of scent habituation where our noses try to "forget" the smell we're constantly being surrounded by.

In another thread it was discussed spraying a fragrance behind the knees in order to experience the sillage better. Kind of hard to smell one's own skin behind the knees!

Fahrenheit, Quorum, Polo Green actually the Polo was terrible from any distance..
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Creed SMW is absolutely atrocious upclose.....smells like ink mixed with rusty metal and sugar.

away from the skin - beautiful citrus with rose and spice.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

My SotD: Ananas Fizz, smells just like pineapple up close, but the ananas has added fizz, that smells divine, when from a distance!

I've never had anyone tell me "You smell good. Can I smell the point of application? Ewww...that's revolting!" Everything I wear smells good close to the skin.

Hmm... Indeed. Never thought of this before... but it's true!

Creed - Cypres Musc
    After about half an hour it created a cloud of fresh and very nice conifer smell in the room, but any closer to the skin it was stinking horribly of cheap hospital toilet disinfectant. Go figure...

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I think all your observations are right on.

This may be slightly off-topic, but here goes:

The thing is, I think perfumers kind of assume that most people will not be snuggling their noses into your neck. (You might be lucky if they did, depending of course, on who they were!) The idea of "skin scents" (which I imagine means scents that smell like skin or can only be smelled as skin is smelled, from close up) is a pretty new one in perfumery, I think. It may come hand-in-hand with the idea that fragrance is private rather than public, and that faint (substitute "subtle" if you like this notion) scents are better than prominent ones.

I personally find it strange that people would choose to wear only close-to-the-skin scents. I prefer a mix, but I lean toward the idea that wearing scent is not something I do just for me and the people I let that close to my skin (although I do love them to be there). I find it's more of a social statement about me. On the whole, though, I would rather control the amount of sillage by spraying more or less scent, or by spraying closer or further from the skin. In this way, I control the diffusion of the aroma, and I feel more comfortable with that choice resting with me.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Another scent that is not so great when smelled at skin level is Rose Poivree. It has a sillage of beautiful and pure sweet Bulgarian roses (you know you are a rose freak when you need that many adjectives to describe a note). However, at the point of application it smells like a woman's private parts after a busy night.

Blog Entries

Bois d'Armenie and Cuir Beluga both jump to mind. Most of Guerlain's L'Art et la Matiere line, I think, would fall into this category.

Straight to Heaven and Dans tes Bras – only from a distance for me.

I might suggest that if one over-applies then taking a whiff close-up would be too much for most regardless of how little the fragrance projects. That individual though would have a kind of walking-talking room deodoriser effect which might be quite pleasant in a large enough space.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.