Code of Conduct

Default Anything similar to Rive Gauche that will last on me?

There are many other threads discussing Rive Gauche, and the consensus is that Rive Gauche is a scent that disappears to the wearer while remaining noticeable to others. Since I believe that RG actually does disappear on me, I applied .3-.5 ml of a sample vial, waited 15-30 minutes, and asked female friends if they could smell any cologne on my person. The response in both trials was that cologne could only be detected inches away from the application point. I have concluded that Rive Gauche disappears on me.

What are some similar EdT's to Rive Gauche? I know there is an RG Intense (still available online), but the reviews suggest that it heavily downplays the original's barbershop aspect, the notable presence of which I enjoy. Does anyone have a very similar EdT to recommend?

Default Re: Anything similar to Rive Gauche that will last on me?

Azzaro Pour Homme

Not sure if it helps but Rive Gauche is smack dab in middle of Tuscany and Azzaro Pour Homme and I think it's the longest lasting of the three. You can try Loewe Para Hombre, but if you like Rive Gauche, that might be too far off. I suggest you just learn to like it, most scents last longer than you think.

On my skin, Rive Gauche PH lasts for 24+ hours. It doesn't have huge sillage, but it is definitely noticeably by me when I wear it.

Basenotes Institution

Try Rive Gauche Pour Homme Intense - let your nose decide whether it's too far from the original, don't let the comments here at Basenotes sway you. Smell it before you dismiss it.

If you end up smelling it, and not liking it then I also agree with the Azzaro Pour Homme recommedations.

I second the Intense version.

And the original EDT lasts 12+ hours on me.

BRUT maybe?

I got Rive Gauche (original version) and the (Intense). Both holds the whole day. It is a strong manly sexy fragrances...you can wear this one the whole year through...day or night...one of the best fragrances. Maybe Brut is the same category with RG.
    Must have!!!!
    Try the RG Intense version!!!

Keep in mind that applying from a sample vial (dabbing) hardly ever gives you a complete impression of what the fragrance is like when sprayed from the bottle. You may want to give that a try first.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Rive Gauche lasts 12+ hours on me at least. Its not overly loud, but I usually only apply 4 sprays when I wear it to work... Should get a bit more out of it when I wear it more often in winter. I agree that samples arnt an accurate representation of a frag, especially vial samples.

FYI the second time I tested Rive Gauche from a spray was at 12 pm on my wrist. After showering the next morning, at work around 1 pm the next day I could still detect it on that wrist
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by BrothaG View Post
    Keep in mind that applying from a sample vial (dabbing) hardly ever gives you a complete impression of what the fragrance is like when sprayed from the bottle. You may want to give that a try first.
    I agree 100%. Believe me (and the others) when I say that Rive Gauche Pour Homme (when sprayed on skin from the bottle) sticks to you like glue and lasts forever. It's an incredible scent that gets all forms of compliments, and has perfectly well balanced sillage. Plus as many have reported, Rive Gauche does seem to come alive every time your skin heats up. So when you're getting hot and heavy with a lady, you're in good shape.

I once dated a girl who wrapped her scarf around my neck one chilly night (I was wearing Rive Gauche Pour Homme). When I saw her the next week, she confessed to me that she'd been sleeping with the scarf on her pillow and having vivid sexual dreams about me-- because of the cologne on that scarf.

Just get a bottle, you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 8th April 2008 at 07:33 PM. Reason: typo

Does Rive Gauche smell like Brut? Really? Is it RG Pour Homme? I have never tried RG, but used to wear Brut as a teenager (yes, I am female, lol, wearing men's cologne was all the rage at my highschool for awhile there in the 70's, don't know why) and I loved it! Must try RGPH.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Try Rive Gauche Pour Homme Intense - let your nose decide whether it's too far from the original, don't let the comments here at Basenotes sway you. Smell it before you dismiss it.
    I second that one too, to me it's much richer deeper and has a nice touch of seems like juniper. Very very nice one indeed.
    Last edited by snifferdog; 12th April 2008 at 10:36 AM.

Brut is quite similar to RG, yes, but RG has a bit more depth to it IMO. Also RG doesnt die within a few hours; that said, Brut goes pretty hard when its there (in terms of sillage / output)!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Polo Exploere has that barbesol shaving cream vibe with the addition of a cedar chest note.

what about grafton from t&h? i have a sample pack coming in and i've heard it smells similar to rive gauche. trumpers charges now but that may be for shipping as i live in asia.

Penhaligons Racquets and Creed Ambre Cannelle come to mind.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

To make it very simple, YSL pour Homme (1971) and YSL pour Homme Concentree (1983) have quite a few notes in common with Rive Gauche and are fairly long-lasting (at least, after I sampled both, the lasting power was above average on my skin).

jacomo de jacomo is a more intense version of RG PH with more musk on the base.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Azzaro pour Homme - it´s even better!

Pinnaud Clubman or Azzaro.
    Peace ~ Markymark

Rive Gauche pour homme lasts and lasts on me as well. I don't think you will find something that lasts longer that smells like it. If you have extremely dry skin that does not hold the fragrance oils for very long, you might have to settle on reapplication at midday to get some lasting power.

Azzaro pH is the first thing that came to mind! FWIW Rive Gauche lasts a very long time on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Rive Gauche pour homme lasts and lasts on me as well. I don't think you will find something that lasts longer that smells like it. If you have extremely dry skin that does not hold the fragrance oils for very long, you might have to settle on reapplication at midday to get some lasting power.
    Sometimes, especially in winter, I have the same problem: dry skin. I apply Cetaphil fragrance free moisturizer every night -neck, upper body, chest, arms, etc...- before I go to be every night and it does wonders for the longevity of my fragrances the nexy day. It really makes a massive difference.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 18th February 2009 at 06:33 AM.

Just got Rive Gauche and have to say it smells almost exactly like Ferrari Passion and Ferrari Passion lasts all day on me. Might give that a try :-)

Escada Pour Homme.

doesn't last on me, but worth the try.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

I'm surprised noone mentioned Versace Black Jeans: the butch, wild, macho little brother of Rive Gauche PH.

I hate it, but it's definitely as close to Rive Gauche PH as you can get. I like Rive Gauche PH.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Rive Gauche is a women's fragrance made in 1971.

Rive Gauche pour Homme lasts for more than twelve hours with one spray, and can clear a room with much more than that. It's one of the best when used properly. Azzaro pour Homme is also excellent. No need to use much of it either. The same goes for most fougeres, and most fragrances in general.

Or Black (Pascal Morabito) is also excellent.
    Last edited by pluran; 5th January 2010 at 12:54 AM.

Nothing smells like Rive Gauche. I'd advise you to invest in a good odorless lotion like Aveeno

Rive Gauche is long lasting, take this from someone with acidic skin pH - Scents don't last on me at all, except the heavy ones. Still, I'd like to try the Intense version.

Quote Originally Posted by lannansidhe View Post
    ... used to wear Brut as a teenager (yes, I am female, lol, wearing men's cologne was all the rage at my highschool for awhile there in the 70's, don't know why...)
    During thew 70's, my sister, living in the other edge of the world, used to wear Jovan's Musk and Brut.

Yeah, hate to pile on but I have a dense nose, scent sucking skin and Rive Gauche is still hanging on me from 12 hours ago.

It's not projecting much, but it's there. That doesn't happen with many frags on me.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 5th January 2010 at 02:47 AM.

Azzaro Pour Homme
    Tuscany
    Brut
    Canoe
    Pinaud Clubman
    Antico Caruso

I say Brut' By Faberge! A powerhouse of potency, though is verdant and similar to Rive Gauche in my opinion, will definitely last!
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket