Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Bath and Body Works frags?

I was in B&BW (Almost looks like BBW. Okay, done with the cheap laughs) today, ostensibly to buy a tube of Proraso shave cream. Directly below said cream were four of their colognes. I tried two of them, one of which I didn't go for and honestly forgot the name of (Cool...something. :\ ) The other one, however, I'm still bringing my wrist to my nose to smell even as I type this. It is called Mountain Frost and, while it is undoubtedly inoffensive, it's also really quite nice, with mint and fir notes in the style of Baldessarini, though considerably sweetened and with a touch of something that may even be leather.

This stuff is great for the summer, and a steal at $24 for a 4 oz. bottle. I will be buying it on Wednesday as long as the longevity is good.

Anyone else mess with this stuff?
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Bath and Body Works frags?

I really like C.O. Bigelow Elixir Black. I personally think it is the best men's fragrance B&BW sells.

I used to have B&BWs Cool Spring a long time ago. I found it to be a nice, light summer fragrance. I haven't tried the Mountain Frost. Most of the BBW fragrances that I have encountered do not have great longevity.

I also like the B&BW Sensual Amber fragrance.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 7th April 2008 at 11:08 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Yeah they had a bunch of C.O. Bigelow sprays too but I was drawn to the B&BW label as I remember my dad owning one about ten years ago! I may have to spend a little more time over there.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

I like their Tobacco Flower.

Blog Entries

I think Cool Spring was the name of that one I forgot, Joe. It smells okay, it smells like the Edge shave gel I normally use, which smells pretty good.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    I tried two of them, one of which I didn't go for and honestly forgot the name of (Cool...something. :\ ) It is called Mountain Frost and, while it is undoubtedly inoffensive, it's also really quite nice, with mint and fir notes in the style of Baldessarini, though considerably sweetened and with a touch of something that may even be leather.
    My theory about the men's fragrances is:

Cool Spring = Cool Water
    Woodland = Obsession
    Glacier Bay or Mountain Frost, I can never tell the labels apart = Polo Sport
    The other one = Irish Spring

[Disclosure: I am a part-time employee of BBW.]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post

Cool Spring = Cool Water
    Woodland = Obsession

Hey, always good to hear from someone that works with the stuff. I've smelled Polo Sport and I didn't like it nearly as well as I'm still liking Mountain Frost.

I actually just came back on to identify a note that was eluding me with Mountain Frost, which was bergamot.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Hey, always good to hear from someone that works with the stuff. I've smelled Polo Sport and I didn't like it nearly as well as I'm still liking Mountain Frost.
    Cool. Maybe its Glacier Bay that smells like Polo Sport. The names are way too similar for me -- "Frost" and "Glacier."

Anyway, your signature reminds me that I've read that Virgin Island Water smells similar to Coconut Lime Verbena. What do you think?

And if you live in Kentucky, isn't there a BBW outlet store somewhere around you?
    Last edited by Advocate; 7th April 2008 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Add a question.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I really like C.O. Bigelow Elixir Black. I personally think it is the best men's fragrance B&BW sells.... I also like the B&BW Sensual Amber fragrance.
    I also really like the Elixir Black and own and enjoy Sensual Amber. They aren't the longest lasting of course but they are classy and good for the money, I think.

DH and I share the Sensual Amber.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

I just finished my tube of Woodland aftershave and I really enjoyed the feel and the scent. Do they make an EDT of it?
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post
    I just finished my tube of Woodland aftershave and I really enjoyed the feel and the scent. Do they make an EDT of it?
    Oh yes. It does smell though IMO, just like Obsession by Calvin Klein.

Link here

Woodland reminds me of the old classic Obsession - with the same lasting power and sillage. The Obsession that is now sold by Calvin is pale version of the classic.

Blog Entries

And if you live in Kentucky, isn't there a BBW outlet store somewhere around you?
    Maybe, there's an outlet mall an hour or so away from me. Couldn't say as this was the first time I'd been into that BBW since I moved here about 9 years ago. :P
    --------------------------------------
    Not meaning to startle anyone but I can still smell the one spray of Mountain Frost on my wrist this morning. That's 19 hours later. Sold.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 8th April 2008 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Cool Spring = Cool Water
    Woodland = Obsession

Wait, so which one actually smells like Irish Spring?

Also, "Canyon," "Forest Moss," "Pacific Bluff," and "Alpine Summit" were ones that they discontinued several years ago. Anyone remember what they smell like? Were they really duds that deserved to be axed?
    Last edited by atrac; 24th June 2008 at 10:11 AM.

Blog Entries

Still waiting for anyone's opinions on Coconut Lime Verbena... does it really smell like a tropical drink? If so, I might have to somehow procure some for my trip to Disney World this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by kopah View Post
    Still waiting for anyone's opinions on Coconut Lime Verbena... does it really smell like a tropical drink? If so, I might have to somehow procure some for my trip to Disney World this summer.
    I tried it a short while back and if memory serves, it was just OK. Like most BBW scents, it's really amped up and in-your-face, heavy on the coconut. I think I would have liked it better with more lime and less coconut.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by kopah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilSF View Post
    I tried it a short while back and if memory serves, it was just OK. Like most BBW scents, it's really amped up and in-your-face, heavy on the coconut. I think I would have liked it better with more lime and less coconut.
    I kind of felt the same way about the CLV EDT. However, I do like the other CLV products - shower gel, lotions, etc.

IMO, I think there are better "tropical" fragrance options:

Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts
    Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess or Azuree Soleil
    Creed Virgin Island Water (I personally would not spend that much on a tropical fragrance - but a lot of people like it)
    Last edited by petruccijc; 12th June 2008 at 06:26 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Smile Re: Bath and Body Works frags?

I adore BBW i personally am a fan of Exotic coconut..which is now recently discontinued. and ialso love dancing waters. good stuff. cheap and so many different products of the scent are avilable. Sheer freesia is a classic that smells so clean . The shower gel is heaven. Reminds me of a shampoo i used to use when i was young.

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    Wait, so which one actually smells like Irish Spring?
    For the life of me, I can't remember, and I don't have them sitting in front of me. The names and the colors are just so similar -- Glacier Bay, Mountain Frost. Between the two, one smells like Polo Sport and the other smells like Irish Spring to me.

This may be old news, but the SA at B&BW told me today that they will soon be doing away with the B&BW line (at least the men's scents) and she encouraged me to familiarize myself with C.O. Bigelow instead, which will become "sort of the house line." I thought this was a little odd since the store is phasing out the C.O. Bigelow shave cream (I bought 4 tubes).

So, with a 2-for-1 sale and the coming discontinuation of these products, if you like B&BW fragrances, now is probably the time to stock up. BTW, I tried Cool Spring and I have to say it seems less synthetic and piercing to me than Cool Water. And Woodland, to this newb's nose, does smell exactly like Obsession (loads of sillage, too...longevity? don't know; it's only been two hours).

I picked up the Chocolate Amber the other day for $9, and it smells great ... like the original Angel minus the patchouli. I also picked up the Coconut Lime Verbena home oil, which for $3 was an interesting experiment. I'm not crazy about Virgin Island Water, but for the money, CLV could be an easy substitution, though its not nearly as complex.

The C.O. Bigelows for the guys are all right ... nothing to wet yourself over. They used to make a sporty mens line back in the mid-90s which I've been searching for. I'm sure the scent was pretty banal to my standards today, but I remember loving it when I was a kiddy!
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    This may be old news, but the SA at B&BW told me today that they will soon be doing away with the B&BW line (at least the men's scents).
    NOOOOO!!!!! I am not a fan of the C.O. Bigelow men's frags that they sell there. Bay Rum is the only one I find tolerable, but it doesn't last very long on me.

Obsession, I mean "Woodland" and "Mountain Frost" are my favorites. "Cool Spring" is ok (it's the one that smells like Cool Water to me). "Glacier Bay" smells nice but it does not last very long on me at all and stays very close to my skin.

The particular B&BW I went to today had only two "Mountain Frost" left and a few "Woodland." They had plenty of "Glacier Bay" (possibly their weakest seller across the board?).

I ending up buying two bottles of "Woodland" and "Mountain Frost" cologne -- knowing they are going away, I guess I'll have to go buy more.
    Last edited by atrac; 12th June 2008 at 11:30 PM.

This may be old news, but the SA at B&BW told me today that they will soon be doing away with the B&BW line (at least the men's scents) and she encouraged me to familiarize myself with C.O. Bigelow instead, which will become "sort of the house line."
    That would be news to me. If she heard or read that from an official communication, I would have heard that, too. The only products that will be officially discontinued after this sale will be Freshwater Cucumber, Chocolate Amber, and Sparkling Peach; Brown Sugar and Fig will remain in only basic products (shower gel, lotion, body splash).

thats funny you posted this i was in there the other day, i took the mom to the mall and i happened to try the GREEN ELIXER and i was shocked that the dry down actually smelled quite similar to creed OV , forgive me if im wrong, but try it, maybe it was because it was layered under something else but try the green elixer and tell me if you can see the similarities

Both the B&BW men's line and the C.O. Bigelow men's line they carry (Black/Red/Blue/Green Elixirs & Bay Rum) are "buy one, get one free" this weekend. I just ordered two bottles of the Bay Rum, which made them about $20 each, which is a steal. I have a bottle of it already and wore it a fair amount for a while. The Black Elixir one is pretty good too, but I passed on the Elixir series, even though with this deal those are $10 each. Maybe I should have snagged a couple of those, too. Oh, well.

I use to have Forest Moss years ago but it is now discontinued. I don't enjoy there fragrances. I find them hard to wear.

Thumbs up Re: Bath and Body Works frags?

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post

Yes. They carry it.

I am wearing Mountain Frost today and I was surprised to smell...Juniper Berry! More importantly, I like it in this scent! Working with the other notes it does not have the "foul" aspect that I notice in other scents like Michael Jordan or Very Sexy 2 for Men.

I was researching some of the older B&BW scents and came across this article from 1997:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...51C1A961958260

Apparently they had a problem with leaking colognes during shipping!

Okay ! Today I went to B&BW and checked out "Mountain Frost" well to me this smells just like Perry Ellis 18 for men.

If you like this fragrance and want something more powerful and longer lasting with great sillage try 18.

I have vowed that the only B&BW men's scent I like is Woodland. Which smells like the original 80's version of Obsession for men. Woodland last over 12 hours and has great sillage.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Okay ! Today I went to B&BW and checked out "Mountain Frost" well to me this smells just like Perry Ellis 18 for men.

If you like this fragrance and want something more powerful and longer lasting with great sillage try 18.
    Interesting! And since PE 18 came out just two years ago, do you think they were inspired by Mountain Frost (since it's been out for much longer)??

Or is there even another scent lurking out there that both frags were inspired by? The OP mentioned Baldessarini so maybe that's it? Does PE 18 smell like Baldessarini?

By the way, the B1G1 free sale ends TOMORROW...so don't miss out! This kind of sale on the Men's line and C.O. Bigelow rarely happens! Go go go!!!
    Last edited by atrac; 14th June 2008 at 08:04 PM.

Bought the last two bottles of Woodland at the nearest store. Went to two others in the area: sold out. Plenty of Glacier Bay, though.

Cool Spring does remind me of Cool Water, but I have a bottle of GIT that I rarely use, so a B&BW double of a double of GIT seems pointless, even with a great sale.

Almost bought Elixir Black, but it's not distinctive enough for me to get a bottle: nice, good evening scent, but I can't pull the trigger. Chocolate amber is quite distinctive, but I'm not sure I like it. Besides, I haven't messed with gourmands yet, and buying a discontinued one seemed like a surefire way to either put me off of them without a fair chance or drive me crazy if I really liked it and couldn't get it.

As far as discontinuing the men's line, the SA used the word "eventually," which in its most liberal interpretation could mean at an indefinite date some 200+ years down the road (and/or when the chain goes out of business). So she wasn't saying it will happen after the current sale, but sometime in the foreseeable future. However, she also told me that if I liked Woodland, I'd like Elixir Green, so I don't know that she's a trustworthy source... I'll rely on your info over hers, certainly, Advocate.

However, she also told me that if I liked Woodland, I'd like Elixir Green, so I don't know that she's a trustworthy source... I'll rely on your info over hers, certainly, Advocate.
    Aww, don't make me blush!

I went in again(!) today because I had to return the Mountain Frost cologne I had purchased. I wore it yesterday and it gave me a HUGE migraine. That really sucks because I like the scent a LOT.

I tried each of the C.O Bigelow colognes again..just to make sure. Yep, none of them are for me.

It looks like after the dust has settled, I am just a Woodland kind of guy.

*EDIT* I got a migraine again the day after I returned the Mountain Frost. It looks like it was just the weather. Luckily I was able to go back and get some more before the sale was over.
    Last edited by atrac; 18th June 2008 at 04:42 AM.

Blog Entries

I went in again(!) today because I had to return the Mountain Frost cologne I had purchased. I wore it yesterday and it gave me a HUGE migraine. That really sucks because I like the scent a LOT.

I tried each of the C.O Bigelow colognes again..just to make sure. Yep, none of them are for me.

It looks like after the dust has settled, I am just a Woodland kind of guy.
    Dang. I was at the B&BW today and they weren't advertising BOGO anywhere in their fragrances, needless to say I was rather confused.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Dang. I was at the B&BW today and they weren't advertising BOGO anywhere in their fragrances, needless to say I was rather confused.
    It is definitely a national sale that ends tomorrow. It is going on in all stores and on their website. You still have tomorrow if you want to get some.

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/fami...84525&view=all

Interesting! And since PE 18 came out just two years ago, do you think they were inspired by Mountain Frost (since it's been out for much longer)??

Or is there even another scent lurking out there that both frags were inspired by? The OP mentioned Baldessarini so maybe that's it? Does PE 18 smell like Baldessarini?

By the way, the B1G1 free sale ends TOMORROW...so don't miss out! This kind of sale on the Men's line and C.O. Bigelow rarely happens! Go go go!!!
    I don't see Perry Ellis 18 like Balessarini at all! Unless the are thinking about Del Mar and even that is a stretch.

I feel that both Mountain Frost and 18 are both a copy of another men's fragrance they inspired from. I you have a chance check out 18 you may really enjoy it. Note a little goes a long way!

I like a whole bunch of them, i think they are pretty simple and very much WYSIWYG kind of fragrances.
    A lot of them are a sweet mess too.

That is really unacceptable. As soon as you crossed the lease line, someone should have greeted you, offered you a shopping bag, and told you about the sale specials. The men's display is supposed to cover two tables (all displays are specified from corporate headquarters with diagrams and pictures), and each table was supposed to have our largest sign holder (approximately 3 feet by 3 feet) on it. If that store was run correctly, you shouldn't have been able to miss it, and even if you did, someone should have been there to point it out to you. I would consider calling 1-800-756-5005 and telling corporate headquarters about your experience.

I had the opportunity to buy two discontinued BBW frags, Pacific Bluff and Canyon, and I have to say what a *shame* they discontinued them. They are both very nice, with excellent sillage and longevity! Pacific Bluff is a wonderful aquatic fragrance and Canyon is kind of a suede/tobacco scent. They both kind of remind me of other fragrances, but none of which I own...so I can't put my finger on it. Pacific Bluff kind of smells like the Men's Facial Scrub they used to sell (and they also discontinued that..which I miss VERY MUCH).

But I will say they are better and more original than Cool Spring, Mountain Frost, and *definitely* better than Glacier Bay (which is not that strong and simply does not last very long on me). Woodland is still the reigning BBW champion frag though in my book. But these two are close seconds!

I'm curious now to get Forest Moss and Alpine Summit. I see Forest Moss on eBay quite a bit and it always seems to sell...someone out there likes it! Alpine Summit seems to be the most difficult to track down. I just hope neither are like a Grey Flannel or Quorum type of smell...those kind make me nauseous.
    Last edited by atrac; 24th June 2008 at 10:14 AM.

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

I just sampled Woodland and Glacier Bay. I find GB to be very similar to Eternity - green fruit with a bit of sweetness. It's okay. Woodland is developing into something interesting - vanilla, a bit of wood, and some other warm smells. I may have to buy a bottle.

EDIT:
    Both lasted for six hours or so, though the last hour or so were very close to the skin. Woodland is very similar to Obsession, though not quite as vibrant. Still, very good for the price. Glacier Bay - meh. Some may like it. I can do without.
    Last edited by dpak; 15th July 2008 at 11:47 AM.

To those who have purchased or have sampled C. O. Bigelow fragrances: how long do the last (in an hour range)?

I REALLY love their body washes, and sometimes they are strong enough to go out without any cologne on, but adding cologne to it would be nice. But if it's <4 hours short, forget it.

Speaking of tropical type frags, I just discovered Esacada Collection (classified as a women's frag, but unisex as far as I can tell). This frag just blows all the others out of the water! It's so well blended yet retains note identification. Too bad it's discontinued and expensive now.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Nathan View Post
    To those who have purchased or have sampled C. O. Bigelow fragrances: how long do the last (in an hour range)?

I REALLY love their body washes, and sometimes they are strong enough to go out without any cologne on, but adding cologne to it would be nice. But if it's <4 hours short, forget it.

No.032 Bay Rum is the only C.O. Bigelow frag I have tried. Reasonably good longevity on me. Fades to faint after about 5-6 hours but it is a nice ride along the way.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Nathan View Post
    Average to better-than-average, I would say, but I never have problem with longevity on my skin.

I have a question about the Sandalwood Rose Body Essence. It's clearly inexpensive (4 oz. for $16) and rose/sandalwood is about as good a 1-2 punch as I can ask for. However, I can't sample in-store as none of the storefronts around here have it in stock when I go. Is it a sweet scent? Durable at all? Any input on wearing this one is appreciated.
    Last edited by TRBeck; 6th August 2008 at 03:50 PM.

I'm in the mall. I just spoke with Neiman Marcus about filming there. I'm tired. I need to shave. I'm cranky too since I'm tired and my 5 o'clock shadow itches. I stop into Bath and Body Works look around and spray some Elixir Black. Wow. $20 for this is a GIFT. This scent was warm with the right amount of sweetness and it had a nice complex wood note in it with a dry earthy quality. $20? What? This ROCKS any designer scent released this year (aside from maybe Prada Infusion - the most luxurious hand soap scent ever made). I am all about this scent then I think . . . it won't last at all. A $20 scent? C'mon it'll be gone by the time I find my car. BUT NO! I get home, have a few conversations, eat and it's still kicking strong. This is the best low priced scent I've ever encountered. I'm sold.

Cheers,
    Al

Try the new black amethyst! Very unisex scent that is so amazing! Im so hooked! Its brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklibran1 View Post
    Try the new black amethyst! Very unisex scent that is so amazing! Im so hooked! Its brilliant.
    Sweet! Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,
    Al

yup. its a little fem at first but the drydown is exqusite! it smells of tangerine patchouli and so many other scents . my roomies tell me i smell so sexy when i wear it1 and im a 6'3 muscle black man so that says a lot that its unisex! i

Woodland is my favorite. I heard yesterday that their discountinuing Woodland & the whole line. (Dumb)