Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estee Lauder (Tom Ford) - a guys perspective

So, Youth Dew and I go WAY BACK - it was one of the first fragrances that I studied in high school, for a term paper that I did on Estee Lauder (I guess my high school English teacher must have known I was a fragrance enthusiast!). I learned all about Ms. Lauder's entry into the world of cosmetics and fragrances with this scent - how she actually intentionally dumped some on the floor of a department store so that it would stink up the store and customers would ask what it was, just so that the store would stock it. The actual fragrance - well...let's just say that to my non-trained nose I thought it was STRONG, PERFUMEY and smelled like a womens bubble bath.

Anyway, when Tom Ford was given the Youth Dew fragrance back in 2005 I kept my eye on it.

The first time I smelled it (from a tester at the Estee Lauder counter) I actually recoiled from it - it was, SO FEMININE, I thought. I of course could smell the link to Youth Dew and naturally I could smell the amber, but it just seemed so 'lit up' and flat out 'girly' that I almost washed it off when I got home.

Fast forward to Basenotes, one of the many fragrances I explored when I arrived here was fragrances by Tom Ford. I actually made it a point to smell most of Tom Ford's fragrances including all 12 of his Private Blends, the scents he did for Gucci and YSL, and for Lauder. It seemed like a good idea to re-sniff YDAN. Plus many recommended it to me on my Cinnamon Thread (even though it doesn't officially have cinnamon as a note...weird huh?) So, I sampled it, thanks to Tim, and I've given it a couple full wearings. It's slowly wowed me.

- The top notes of YDAN are much more modern than YD, not quote so much stiff spice in this, the spice notes are glistening, shiny and bright. The coca-cola reference is there (that a few people have mentioned), although I might call it caramel soda. It's sweet and fizzy...whatever it is. I like this part.
    - The amber from YD shows up, and this is the part of the scent that you either love or hate. When I first smelled Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens I immediately thought of Youth Dew - however testing them side-by-side YD is much more potent. The amber notes mix quite perfectly with some other 'green' note (galbanum?) and it really propels it off of your skin.
    - There's another note that I keep getting whiffs of, that started out in the middle and maintain throughout the base notes. It's a little like Opium and/or Cinnabar...maybe it's honey. Its slighly smoky and it's extremely sensual.
    - The drydown lasts forever - at the end it gets slightly chocolate-y with touches of sandalwood and patchouli. Sounds like a gourmand - but IMO it is not a gourmand. It also has a dry feel to it...whereas it is still warm and comfy.

If you're a guy and you want to try this, the trick is to only apply 1 or 2 sprays (I would give the same advice if you wear the original Youth Dew). Those lovers of Ambre Sultan (S Lutens), Opium for him and/or her (YSL) and/or Ambre Narguile (Hermes) will love YDAN.

One more thing: If I have my facts straight, due to Estee Lauder and Tom Ford Beauty not working together anymore, word on the street is that YDAN will be changed to a different name and rebottled, however the scent will be the same. I'm not going to risk it, so I'll be buying a bottle of the 'old' stock soon...just in case Lauder tweaks it post the name change.

So...any other guys out there wear Youth Dew Amber Nude?

Default Re: Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estee Lauder (Tom Ford) - a guys perspective

Thanks for this post as always, mikeperez23.

I don't wear Amber Nude, and have never tested it, but I am vastly intrigued by the original Youth Dew to the point that I want to wear it! This is a very nostalgic scent for me, it's definitely in my past somewhere, maybe growing up. When I smell it, oddly enough I actually associate it more with men than woman.

I will have to try the Amber Nude, and see if I find it as compelling....

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estee Lauder (Tom Ford) - a guys perspective

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    I don't wear Amber Nude, and have never tested it, but I am vastly intrigued by the original Youth Dew to the point that I want to wear it! This is a very nostalgic scent for me, it's definitely in my past somewhere, maybe growing up. When I smell it, oddly enough I actually associate it more with men than woman.
    You're welcome arlecchino - yes, me too. I know a few guys who wear Youth Dew here on BN (Ruggles comes to mind instantly) but I have always been afraid of it's sillage - and YDAN makes it much more approachable. However, I've been quietly considering the Youth Dew body lotion (even though generally, I don't wear body lotions due to my oily body skin), in the thoughts that the YD body lotion would carry the scent, but perhaps at a much lower pitched sillage. Or maybe the soap.

I might have to troll Ebay for some of these...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Those lovers of Ambre Sultan (S Lutens), Opium for him and/or her (YSL) and/or Ambre Narguile (Hermes) will love YDAN.

One more thing: If I have my facts straight, due to Estee Lauder and Tom Ford Beauty not working together anymore, word on the street is that YDAN will be changed to a different name and rebottled, however the scent will be the same. I'm not going to risk it, so I'll be buying a bottle of the 'old' stock soon...just in case Lauder tweaks it post the name change.

So...any other guys out there wear Youth Dew Amber Nude?
    It was my fondness for Ambre Narguile and Ambre Sultan that recently led me to YDAN, and I added it to my list. I share many of your sentiments about it.

Of course, as luck would have it, as soon as I decided YDAN was one for me, it disappeared from Estee Lauder counters everywhere. I hope the word on the street about it being rebottled etc. is right, but I believe I heard somewhere (I cannot recall where) that it was the end for YDAN.

I wear it all the time and love it. You are right about application, one or two sprays and you are good to go.

Regards,

Steve

Ruggles here. I have a bottle of Youth Dew Bath Oil. I think it's the original way it was offered. It's in a splash bottle and I slap it on, wait about an hour and then experience one of the best orientals that I've ever tried.
    When I first bought it, blind, I thought it smelled like a cheap Christmas Potpourri or mulled cider. But I've had a change of heart. It needs to dry down and it needs to be worn in cool weather.
    I'm very curious about YDAN now. Thanks for the great post Mike.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by lunarpanic View Post
    Of course, as luck would have it, as soon as I decided YDAN was one for me, it disappeared from Estee Lauder counters everywhere. I hope the word on the street about it being rebottled etc. is right, but I believe I heard somewhere (I cannot recall where) that it was the end for YDAN.
    I know lunarpanic...Murphy's Law, huh?

I am certain that a very reputable source from Lauder told me it was not the end for YDAN. If those facts are straight, then I think we will continue to see YDAN around...albeit in a different way. Which I'm sure will prompt another thread, where we discuss whether you can compare the old and the new.

I'm not risking it, I'm getting some of the original YDAN. Here in the US, it's literally ALL OVER Ebay.

Sur la Plage

I recently went to a local department store with eager anticipation of sampling Youth Dew Amber Nude. Based on what I had heard/read about it, it sounded like something I would really like. But when I asked the Estee Lauder SA about it she said that when Estee Lauder and Tom Ford severed ties, they were no longer allowed to carry it in stores "for legal reasons". I'm not exactly sure what that means or if it is true, but I was pretty bummed out about it.

So if it is not being sold at Estee Lauder counters, is there really anywhere to sample it at?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I never really could get into YDAN. To me its just a dull shell of the original and waterey. I love the original and thats what i wear. Also, i wear it quite heavily i might add. 9 or 10 sprays.
    Awesomeguy

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    So if it is not being sold at Estee Lauder counters, is there really anywhere to sample it at?
    I've seen carded samples of it being sold on Ebay, as well as full bottles.

Sur la Plage

I was in an outlet fragrance shop this weekend and saw they had YDAN, so I asked to sample it. I am glad I did. Very nice! Awesome amber and great drydown with the chocolate and vanilla notes - but not overly sweet at all. I have Opium (both men's and women's) and see some similarities, but it is definitely different. I think this one will go on the "to purchase list".
    Last edited by petruccijc; 14th April 2008 at 02:44 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread