Code of Conduct

Default Thoughts On Jo Malone Fragrances? Too expensive for what they are?

I was in Selfridges on Oxford St today with intent to buy.

I wandered over to the Jo Malone concession there and went through a lot of their fragrances. The only one which I even vaguely liked was their Cologne (which was the closest they get to a defined "male" fragrance).

What struck me was how very ordinary most of their offerings were, female, male, unisex whatever.

And very expensive for what they are.

Thoughts anyone?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Thoughts On Jo Malone Fragrances? Too expensive for what they are?

Well, considering that almost all of the regular designer ones run atleast in the $70's now, Jo Malone might not be THAT expensive.

Sur la Plage

Pomegranate Noir is an outstanding and unique fragrance by Jo Malone, and IMO definitely well worth the money.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Pomegranate Noir is an outstanding and unique fragrance by Jo Malone, and IMO definitely well worth the money.
    This is the first time I disagree with any of your statements but I am sure its bound to happen right? I found PN to be disgustingle sweet and over the top. The pomengranate ruined the leather. It suffices to say, you must love pomengranate to own this. Back to the original question, I use to enjoy Vetiver years ago and love the grapefruit as well. The lime, basil, mandarine is also good. Generally speaking, if you love it, its not too expensive but for what it is, I think so. As with most lines, prices have become inflated. I remember back when I got the vetiver, I paid $80 in SAKS for the large bottle. I remember thinking that it was expensive at that price.

The thing about Jo Malone for me that they are very light in texture, like the bottles they come in. It's hard to offend with her fragrances, and some of them can be really tenacious for being cologne concentrations. Some of the fruit mixes strike me as smelling artificial somehow, whereas others are as fresh and clean as a spring morning. I love the fact that you can get a 30 mL for $50US. While expensive, I don't know if I'd say overpriced, HDS. The creams, by the way, produce more sillage than the cologne sprays themselves in my experience. They are really impressive.
    Last edited by nthny; 10th April 2008 at 06:45 PM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    This is the first time I disagree with any of your statements but I am sure its bound to happen right? I found PN to be disgustingle sweet and over the top. The pomengranate ruined the leather. It suffices to say, you must love pomengranate to own this. Back to the original question, I use to enjoy Vetiver years ago and love the grapefruit as well. The lime, basil, mandarine is also good. Generally speaking, if you love it, its not too expensive but for what it is, I think so. As with most lines, prices have become inflated. I remember back when I got the vetiver, I paid $80 in SAKS for the large bottle. I remember thinking that it was expensive at that price.
    What! You disagree with me! I am very hurt Scentologist...

I think PN is one of those love it/hate it fragrances. I happen to love it - the top notes, the drydown, the sillage, the longevity. But I think I also tend to love a lot of scents that fall into the love/hate category (Kouros, Jicky, A*Men, etc.) PN is one of the Jo Malone fragrances that I thought stood out from the others. I also own Amber & Lavender and Lime, Basil, & Mandarin. These were given to me as gifts. I like them, but probably would not have spent the money myself on them.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Their Amber & Lavender, and 154 is worth a try. If you like them, you can always go thru the eBay route to get them (assuming they are from reputable sellers). They pop up once in a while. Strangely enough, bid prices have kept in pace with retail prices.

What! You disagree with me! I am very hurt Scentologist...

I think PN is one of those love it/hate it fragrances. I happen to love it - the top notes, the drydown, the sillage, the longevity. But I think I also tend to love a lot of scents that fall into the love/hate category (Kouros, Jicky, A*Men, etc.) PN is one of the Jo Malone fragrances that I thought stood out from the others. I also own Amber & Lavender and Lime, Basil, & Mandarin. These were given to me as gifts. I like them, but probably would not have spent the money myself on them.
    I bought PN in the winter when there were fires in fireplaces and mistletoe and it was SO PERFECT for that gray time of year, cold, and crisp. I've tried wearing it in warmer weather and I just can't. I can't wait til winter rolls around again.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    I bought PN in the winter when there were fires in fireplaces and mistletoe and it was SO PERFECT for that gray time of year, cold, and crisp. I've tried wearing it in warmer weather and I just can't. I can't wait til winter rolls around again.
    Definitely Anthony. I don't think I would even attempt to wear it in warmer weather - but really like it during the colder months.

Basenotes Institution

When Jo Malone first came out, she was one of the first niche lines that was doing unisex scents, in addition to a wonderful range of products in the same scent. You can enjoy many of her fragrances in colognes, candles, creams, lotions, soaps and room sprays. At the beginning (before she was bought out by the Lauder group) Ms. Malone herself created, mixed, bottled and labeled all of her perfumes personally. She used top notch quality ingredients. They were made for the luxury market and priced appropriately.

Fast forward to today - her prices are not luxury anymore. With a crop of new niche perfumes being released every month or so at the $150 - $200 price point, Jo Malone is no longer expensive IMO.

Now the scents: I have tried many, I've owned Nutmeg & Ginger, Blue Agava & Cacao, Nectarine Blossom & Honey, Lime Basil & Mandarin, French Lime Blossom and Pomegranate Noir. The PN I think is perhaps the most complex and strongest of the bunch - but it had a medicinal/eucalyptus vibe that reminded me too much of Vicks Vapo Rub and I sold it. Same for the Blue Agava & Cacao - it always reminded me of salty dark chocolate...it grossed me out a little. The Nectarine Blossom is incredibly good - it smells like you're biting into a nectarine and I find it's 3D fruitiness very refreshing. It lasts when I over apply it (10 sprays).
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 10th April 2008 at 07:30 PM.

I'd agree with Mike. The new ones sound cool!
    Last edited by Vivek; 10th April 2008 at 07:32 PM.

In my pairing down of the wardrobe from 85 to 50 in the past 3 months, 154 and PN fell victim to the chopping block. The only one I own now is Amber and Lavender. It is not going anywhere. It will make the final cut when I eventually get to 30 frags in my collection later this year. I love the fact this line comes in 1 oz bottles and also like the minimalist design.

I love all the JM frags I've tried, but have never paid retail, so this is a bit of a moot point for me.

I do know that I've got to get rid of the Nutmeg & Ginger I have, though -- my other half can't stand it. (Says it smells like gasoline on me.) Pity, as I like it.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 10th April 2008 at 11:21 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

The thing with JM that makes them more expensive than their sticker price is that most of them have no longevity, and you need to use half a bottle a day! I love Vetyver Cafe for example, but there's no point putting it on unless the function I'm going to is in the next 10 minutes.

PM is an exception, it really lasts surprisingly long for an EDC and it projects like nuclear fallout!
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

When I smelled White Jasmine & Mint the other day, I found it to be quite lovely. Soft, light and clean ... a perfect summer scent. To me, Malone is all about simplicity and clarity, her scents are direct, but never weighty. They certainly work well with ideas of modern femininity, existing for the paired down aesthetic of current beauty trends. I'm certainly excited to try her new Dark Amber & Ginger Lily, it sounds like it could be very nice.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    In my pairing down of the wardrobe from 85 to 50 in the past 3 months, 154 and PN fell victim to the chopping block. The only one I own now is Amber and Lavender. It is not going anywhere. It will make the final cut when I eventually get to 30 frags in my collection later this year. I love the fact this line comes in 1 oz bottles and also like the minimalist design.
    Yes, the 1oz bottle sizes definitely makes them more affordable. And when you have a lot of fragrances (as some of us do), you don't have to be saddled down with a 3.4 oz bottle that may take you a long, long time to use up.

I love the 1oz bottles also, along with Lime Basil Mandarin. Found mine on eBay for 30 bucks, with box. It lasts all day and the dry down goes into the evening; remarkable for a cologne. My skin eats up citrus and light scents, too.

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    I love all the JM frags I've tried, but have never paid retail, so this is a bit of a moot point for me. I DO know that I've got to get rid of the Nutmeg & Ginger I have, though -- my other half can't stand it. (Says it smells like gasoline on me.) Pity, as I like it.

Gasoline? Did it smell anything like DK Men Fuel??

I think Vetyver Cafe is pretty unique. But it lasts about as long on me as the stuff from the false bottle of Hugo Boss Soul I got from eBay recently...

Funny thing is, a couple of months ago a met a former colleague a party who was unmistakably wearing this frag, except it was real strong on her which made me wonder if she perhaps refreshed every other minute. Turned out to be a DUPE!

She send me some of it a couple of days later (it's an oil) and I was quite shocked at how good it was.

The story I heard was that Amber and Lavender was her concoction for her husband (much as JHL was for Estee Lauder's husband). I have two sample sprayers of that and I get decent longevity and find it an excellent choice for work. When I kill the samples, I buy (nearly a law to me (my Rose 31 is getting low too!)).

Jo Malone's 154, Black Vetyver Cafe and Pomagranate Noir are all very good but for different reasons. 154 for freshness, Vetyver Cafe for gourmand sexiness and PNoir for incensey warm energy. I've only tried these and liked them. Some of the other citrus scents are a little boring to me.

Hmm, looks like I'm out of step on this one chaps!

Out of the many I had a smell of I felt they were unexceptional and yes, lightweight. Not all scents have to be bashing you over the head, I know that - indeed quite a few of my favourite frags like say, Coriolan are very light.

I was just unimpressed by the offerings. At £1.00 per ml for the 30ml size, I think that is ridiculous - there are far better fragrances you can buy in that range. The price for the 100ml size is lower, yes, but even then they are putting themselves in the same kind of price range as Penhaligons or Annick Goutal or Serge Lutens which frankly they are not in the same league as in my opinion.

if black vetyver cafe lasted longer, i'd buy it. but it doesn't. nothing else from the jm stable really interests me.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

That sounds like a great idea! Where can I find this dupe? This is a deliberate copy, but not a fake? If it smells nice and complex like the real one, and it lasts longer, then by all means I'd wear it. Is it available on line?

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    I think Vetyver Cafe is pretty unique. But it lasts about as long on me as the stuff from the false bottle of Hugo Boss Soul I got from eBay recently...

Funny thing is, a couple of months ago a met a former colleague a party who was unmistakably wearing this frag, except it was real strong on her which made me wonder if she perhaps refreshed every other minute. Turned out to be a DUPE!

She send me some of it a couple of days later (it's an oil) and I was quite shocked at how good it was.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    That sounds like a great idea! Where can I find this dupe? This is a deliberate copy, but not a fake? If it smells nice and complex like the real one, and it lasts longer, then by all means I'd wear it. Is it available on line?
    I'll shoot her a mail about it, will let you know when I hear back from her.
    Last edited by Domingo; 12th April 2008 at 01:20 AM.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

I think Herbwoman sells adjusted copies of Jo Malone on ebay. From some of the reviews, they may even be better than the original. But don't take my word on it, I haven't tried them.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I have Black Vetyver Café and I like it for the first half-hour or so, but then it mostly goes away on my skin. This is also true for at least one other I've tried, 154.

Some other niche houses seem to have longevity problems on my skin, even if I really like the scents I wear from them. I wish many of L'Artisan's offerings lasted longer, and the same with Diptyque. They are lovely, but just don't stick around on me.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 12th April 2008 at 06:16 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

It's really funny I'm wearing my first Jo Malone Black Vetyver Cafe and I am really impressed. I am also still getting it almost eight hours after I applied it. So I'm one of the lucky ones that these scents don't disappear on in a flash.
    I am finding this combo of vetiver and coffee to be divine and it has immediately jumped up my personal list.
    I'm going to have to try a couple other Jo Malone's to see if the longevity issues crop up there.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

[QUOTE=bront82;1200841To me, Malone is all about simplicity and clarity, her scents are direct, but never weighty. I'm certainly excited to try her new Dark Amber & Ginger Lily, it sounds like it could be very nice.[/QUOTE]
    I just bought a bottle of this limited edition for a male friend - it is really lovely, almost like a L'Artisan.
    My favorite by far is the lavender amber, as good as any of the lavender scents by Dorsay.
    The prices aren't so high, as they offer small bottles.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 22nd May 2008 at 08:34 PM.

Hi guys

I was given many, many Jo Malone's as gifts by a person who loves the line. Unfortunately, there was not a single one that impressed me one way or the other, except that Amber & Lavender made me a bit ill if I sprayed it too heavily. By extension, it is not surprising that I don't really like any Diptych (except Phylosikos) and hardly any L'Artisan (except Dzing and Premier Figure Extreme).

I keep wanting to like all these niche scents, but all I can really think about when I smell most of them is soap or candles. Maybe it's my nose. However, I do know that I don't much like the modern minimalist trend, and tend to prefer "complete" compositions. I have always wondered if the minimalist angle is really just a marketing strategy to pass incomplete or simplistic scents, and more of them (layer, layer, layer!).

Interesting side note about the JM Nectarine--to my nose it smelled like a less sophisticated version of Shisheido Energizing fragrance, which I used to own and love.

Quote Originally Posted by bront82 View Post
    When I smelled White Jasmine & Mint the other day, I found it to be quite lovely. Soft, light and clean ... a perfect summer scent. To me, Malone is all about simplicity and clarity, her scents are direct, but never weighty. They certainly work well with ideas of modern femininity, existing for the paired down aesthetic of current beauty trends. I'm certainly excited to try her new Dark Amber & Ginger Lily, it sounds like it could be very nice.
    I wanted to comment but couldn't quite figure out how to express my thoughts. Thanks for doing it for me. Love French Lime Blossom and the now discontinued Vintage Gardenia. They are a really great summer layering.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

I wore Amber and Lavender this week. Really nice.

Lime, Basil & Mandarin is outstanding, and Blackberry & Bay is great too.

I'd love to have US/UK pricing on Jo Malone. Here in Aus/NZ the prices are extortionate: 100 USD for 30ml, 200 USD for 100ml. Yeah, THAT'S expensive. Consider yourselves lucky.

was wondering why the scent names seemed so old, this thread is from 4 years ago!

I think JM's line is popular and has it's place, but IMO for the wrong reasons. Her scents are clean, simple, minimalist, smell fairly natural, and don't last too long or project very much. So is that good or bad? Well for BN people it's terrible, but for average Joe, it's SAFE and boy does average Joe love safe. You'll never offend anyone, your perfume is basically a skin scent for most of it's life, you can buy a bunch and feel unique by layering them, etc.

and most importantly, their packaging is very nice. So they're pretty, and make great GIFTS. Trust me, as a former SA, half those sales are like housewarming/dinnerparty gifts. And that they have a fairly extensive ancillary range is a big bonus too.

now between us, I think the packaging is meh and it won't sway my nose, and my nose says most of her scents are terribly boring and short lived and rather overpriced. And strangely, the only ones I really like are the ones that are rather atypical from her light fruity woody floral type style. I like Pomegranate Noir, Black Vetyver Cafe, Blue Agava & Cacao, and Sweet Lime & Cedar, most of which are rather dark or gourmand, but basically not her usual work.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Basenotes Plus

They make a great citrus. They've got a really good lineup for summer. I like their offerings because they're light and inoffensive
    Seasonal rotation:

Santal Imperial
    Ambre Topkapi
    Rose 31
    Green Irish Tweed
    Original Santal
    Prada Amber PH

Agreed Preston! I also like many of her offerings, they tend zo be simple but also very feminine and well blended. The biggest issue I have with them is that most of them are very short lived on me but they certainly have their place, especially in spring or summer. They are very inoffensive and not bothering in the slightest so I reach for them everytime I find all other scents in my wardrobe too heavy. I just lately settled for one while looking for a fresh summer scent and I'm very picky about fresh scents as I always find a note in the composition that bothers me, moreover I dislike citrus which makes it even harder for me to find a light and inoffensive frag. Nectarine blossom & honey works perfect for me, not a single note that bothers me and can wear it in the hottest day without it being owerpowering or bothering anyone near.

I found the tea collection interesting, and I'm glad to own it. Other than that I haven't really explored the line too much.

Personally, I have yet to find a Jo Malone fragrance that interested me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

They're not concentrated enough for me. I'm not sure if they're EdT's ,but if they are they're weaker than most EdC's I've come across. If these were $40 I think they would be a decent buy, but at 3 times that they're way overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    I have worn the Mandarin, Lime, and Basil oil (in lotion) from the Fragrance Shop here: http://thefragranceshop.com/jo-malon...men-and-women/ It was very nice, and quite strong enough to last awhile without having to constantly refresh. Here is the Jo Malone line (what they have) in oil: http://thefragranceshop.com/brands/Jo-Malone-type.html
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

I tried Pomegranate Noir the other day, and thought I would love it, but didn't. It wasn't anything special in my opinion, and considering price, etc., I thought Midnight Pomegranate from Bath & Body Works was better. :-) ALSO, considering the fact that Jo Malone's own website promotes layering (with her own frags, of course), I have lost all interest in Jo Malone. Frags that expensive should be complete within themselves, shouldn't have to buy more or add to them to make them well-rounded. I will pass.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

I'm just starting to get into JM and I have to say I find quite a lot to like. While there are scents which are five minutes and gone on me most JMs don't fall into that category. Of those I've tried the only one I haven't liked is Amber & Lavender which turned soapy in a not good way. My son (OK, my wife!) gave me LBM and V&A for Father's Day. LBM is a beautiful and distinctive citrus and lasts on me for the working day. V&A has strength and longevity from a very light application.

Too expensive? Maybe, but only by a small margin in the UK where deep discounting of decent fragrance is not that common. In store, a bottle of TdH is almost as much as a JM. Boots (online) carry the interesting Gandini line - Italian copies of JM - at slightly more than half the JM price. That's still to much for me to blow just to see, but I believe that in some regions they are really cheap and well worth trying.

Having done the shopping it's my wife whose getting the freebies - she gets a free hand and arm massage tomorrow and hopefully more samples!!

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    The thing about Jo Malone for me that they are very light in texture, like the bottles they come in. It's hard to offend with her fragrances, and some of them can be really tenacious for being cologne concentrations. Some of the fruit mixes strike me as smelling artificial somehow, whereas others are as fresh and clean as a spring morning. I love the fact that you can get a 30 mL for $50US. While expensive, I don't know if I'd say overpriced, HDS. The creams, by the way, produce more sillage than the cologne sprays themselves in my experience. They are really impressive.
    You're right about the potency of the creams and basically all of the other bath products. Their shower gels and lotions reek of quality, all the way from the scent to the packaging. I crave their shower gels (Lime, Basil and Mandarin is my go to).

Hey, if you buy a shower gel, you will only ever need a 30mL EdC because after showering with it you barely need to spray anything at all!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Personally, I have yet to find a Jo Malone fragrance that interested me.
    This.

I rather like quite a few Jo Malone's. The ones that Jo Malone herself created before selling to Estee Lauder are the ones I gravitate toward. Although I love Shalimar and I'm quite fond of Coco, Opium, Envy, Weil de Weil and many others not everything has to be a big complex perfume. Sometimes simple is a relief. There is a lot to be said for uncomplicated, soft, simple scents especially in the summer. My favorites are Vintage Gardenia (discontinued), French Lime Blossom, Red Roses, Blue Bell, and Blackberry and Bay. I also like White Lilac and Rhubarb (discontinued) and the new Silk Blossom. They seem to be my go to summer scents.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Terrible longevity and sillage.....I had a few of hers and Lime and Basil was the one I kept goin too but literally you spray it on and within an hour it was gone....

No thanks ! Especially at THAT price point....
    FOR SALE:

Cedrat Enivrant 30ml-

Brecourt Esprit Mondain 1.7 oz.