Code of Conduct

Default Patou PH owners - how to tell if its gone off?

Hello everyone, I have recently bought a Patou PH and Im not sure if it has gone off or not, could someone try to explain what happens to the scent to me as it degrades ? Im sure there must be something wrong with it because I was expected to be blown away by it, but being left puzzled if it has rotten? that can't be the correct reaction. I will try to explain how mine smells

initial blast is somewhat pleasant and spicy, mostly rose and cooking spices, not dissimilar to the versailles pour homme initial blast, but I must say it is not nearly as good and the lingering rotten smell is present even in the initial blast, it is also extremely short lived as the scent quickly moves on to something that smells like cedar + slightly questionable smell (something like dill???)+ spices. There is some sweetness but I would say that the scent is definatley more dry... I have the aftershave 3.3 oz spray bottle. I bought this because I figured the fact that it had an airtight spray mechanism would preserve the scent bettter ?
    --------------------------------------
    edit: theres also a certain burning tires smell that persists after the first 5 minutes
    Last edited by smellyliquid; 10th April 2008 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default Re: Patou PH owners - how to tell if its gone off?

The top notes of a scent usually go off first. If that's the case, it should become what you expected a short while after application. Otherwise, I'd think you know if it was completely off. You really wouldn't get anything nice from it.
    If you're initial blast is pleasant and spicy, chances are your juice is fine.
    I have not sampled Patou PH but this has been my experience from many years with other scents.
    Lastly,don't forget that the aftershave might not be exactly the same as the EdT.

I can't tell you for sure if your bottle has gone off, but don't be afraid to spritz a few wasted
    sprays just to clear out the sprayer and the siphon tube. I bought an older bottle of Xeryus
    that had a rotten smell until I cleared out the sprayer.

The aftershave of Patou PH has a lesser reputation than the EdT. I've only used the EdT, so I don't
    have a good frame of reference for the aftershave. Nothing in the EdT reminds me of anything
    rotten or rancid, so what you describe is not a good sign.

See if you can get a bottle of the EdT.

I always thought it smelt like a spicer, more cinnamony Maxims PH if that helps.

If the top notes have burned off you will not get as much hot red pepper in the opening.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    If you're initial blast is pleasant and spicy, chances are your juice is fine.
    Agree.

I'm wearing the EdT now. I put it on around 12-hours ago and am still getting a good bit of vetiver, sandalwood and leather. Its absolutely lovely, though much more tame than the opening. I believe the aftershave is actually a slightly different fragrance, not just a lighter version of the EdT.

I've owned aftershave spray and own the EDT splash. These do not smell the same to me. I don't think the aftershave is as nice as the EDT. It definitely isn't just a diluted version. It still is pleasant though and it is possible your bottle has gone off a little. I've never seen the aftershave spray bottles in a box so it is possible your bottle has been exposed to more light over the years.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I've only smelled the EDT. The basenotes of the EDT are where the fragrance shines IMO, and they last well into the next day. Perhaps the Aftershave is a very different formula.