Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default answers on amber

I have researched the previous threads and read the recent posts on whats a better amber than another , but this is one olfactory group that i am almost entirely lacking knowledge. I recently smelled precious amber at bath and body works, my girlfriend has all the amber products, and i really like the way it smelled especially on her...it was warm, inviting, and very sensual, but feminine as well. I am looking for a masculine amber, but warm, inviting and sensual. Prada Amber, or prada man, whatever it calls itself, imo, is not good--it makes my head hurt and stomach queasy at the same time...its too astringent. I really want an amber for my collection, HELP HELP HELP.

Thanks,
    Nick

Default Re: answers on amber

Try Andy Tauer`s Un Air du desert marocain
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens is at the top of my list of amber scents. I consider it a 'must have' fragrance.

My second to fourth choices are all excellent as well:

Ambre Canelle - Creed
    Ambre Précieux - Maître Parfumeur et Gantier
    Baldessarini Ambre - Baldessarini
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Ambre Precieux or Ambre Sultan.

Quote Originally Posted by frank06 View Post
    I would agree - is sweet, creamy - though a little goes a long way. Sillage.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by frank06 View Post
    Ditto. These are the two I would try first. If neither pleases you, you might try some less agressive amber scents like Eau d'Ambre, Ambre Narguile, or Blue Amber.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 6th February 2008 at 07:39 PM.

L'Air du Desert Marocain is the winner for me. I like it more than Ambre Sultan, which to me is a little too harsh. Ambre Precieux I haven't tried, so I don't know.

Agree with above posters.

Ambre Sultan is a heavy thick and powerful amber with 24+ hr longevity. Like most SLs, it was a bit too heavy for me, but I certainly admired it.

Baldessarini Amber can be had for $20 or so at TJX stores currently. It's quite nice for the price, quite woody.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens is marvelous stuff -- imagine dry woods with superb quality amber.

Ambre Canelle is very nice, but it's -- IMHO -- more about ambergris than than amber or cinnamon.

Prada Man makes me queasy, too. Odd, huh?

Finally, do work up the gumption to at least TRY Montale's Blue Amber.
    Masculine by any classical definition it isn't, but OH so sensual and delicious -- almost edible in its creaminess!
    It's easily my favorite of all the amber frags I've ever sampled.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 6th February 2008 at 09:19 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

prada makes me queasy too....thanks you guys for all the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens is marvelous stuff -- imagine dry woods with superb quality amber.

Ambre Canelle is very nice, but it's -- IMHO -- more about ambergris than than amber or cinnamon.

Prada Man makes me queasy, too. Odd, huh?

Finally, do work up the gumption to at least TRY Montale's Blue Amber.
    Masculine by any classical definition it isn't, but OH so sensual and delicious -- almost edible in its creaminess!
    It's easily my favorite of all the amber frags I've ever sampled.

Throwing in my vote for Ambre Sultan. Tom Ford's Amber Absolute is nice, but sweeter. I love the ambers...
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

I think YSL Opium EdP is the best amber scent I've come across. Somewhat similar to Sultan but more balanced.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Heed the recs here on Amber Sultan. I sampled it this fall in London and loved it! It'll be a purchase when I am next willing to afford it.

As an amber, Prada is garbage. I'm not saying it's an awful scent (although given the Prada name nobody could argue that it shouldn't be better) - but basenotes or not, the fact that Prada calls itself an Amber is a minor joke.

Amber is an odd term. Either people use it to describe fragrances with various ambergris type aromachemicals or various amber/sweet dried sap/resin aroma chemicals or its used to describe a mix of vanilla/coumarin + ambery fixatives.

L'occitane does make an extremely ambery fragrance, and BBW's sensual amber is pretty good, and the chocolate amber much better.

IMHO the blackcurrant/vanilla line is the best smelling of whats out there at the moment. Midnight Pomegranite is also good.

Jd,
    I think MPG's Ambre Precieux is the tops. I've smelled SL's Ambre Sultan several times, and sure, it's nice, really nice, and any man in it is not making a mistake--but still. I don't go for AS. I beat myself up about this, but AS is dull to me. No fun. Yeah, it's perfect, and that's about all you can say about it. Thus booooorrrring.

The MPG has twinges of other things in it that keep it alive. Maybe there's a bit of sandalwood, maybe a bit of herbs, and perhaps a hint of aldehydes, but I tell you, that's much more the amber that I want. Gimmie.

Tvlampboy is right about Ambre Canelle. It's probably more of an ambergris experience, but it is doggone nice stuff. You might not be getting pure amber scent experience but you'll be getting happy if you're like me. I think this stuff is wonderful, with layers upon layers hiding in it. Beautiful with the cinnamon.

I go for L'Artisan's two ambers, Eau d'Ambre and Ambre extreme too, but I know the first isn't usually thought of as a man's amber so you might not go for it. Eau d'Ambre is edt, and is amber and some ethereal floral hints. A scent that is a sillage scent, and covers you in a light cloud that is the scent, not like a scent blasting out of or sticking to your skin. Eau d'Ambre is very nice, and not a heavy dense one, and I wear it feeling great as a man, but it others and the packaging might tell you it's better for the GF.

L'Artisan's Ambre Extreme gets good mentions here because it's another in the dense family, and it has a nice smoky quality to the amber. Very resinous and with a bit of dried fruit of some kind, if I remember right, all with a grey smoke. Maybe some dirt too. Shoot, I can't remember. Wish a cold day upon me and I'll wear it again for a better thought.

In general I say SL no thanks. Best of luck, although luck isn't a factor here. There are so many superior ambers out there, all listed on this thread, that getting one and getting delight from it will be easy.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I would like to put in a plug for Caron Pour Un Homme as a very distinguished light amber alternative. Although Caron Pour Un Homme is not usually thought of as an amber fragrance, the Caron website actually classifies Caron Pour Un Homme as an "Aromatic amber". Caron Pour Un Homme, created in 1934 by the great Ernest Daltroff, founder of Caron, is well known for its unique and powerful lavender opening. However, what is not mentioned that often about Caron Pour Un Homme is its highly refined and delectably creamy amber drydown. This is a subtle and sophisticated amber, lightly dusted with notes of lavender, musk, and vanilla. It is an elegant light amber that is very suited to a traditional gentleman's cologne, which is exactly what Caron Pour Un Homme is. In my opinion, the Caron website accurately describes Caron Pour Un Homme when they call it an "Aromatique ambré". Caron Pour Un Homme is one of my favorites, and I highly recommend it. By the way, Caron Pour Un Homme is one of the best fragrance bargains around, since it is usually available for a very reasonable price.
    Last edited by Rockford; 7th February 2008 at 04:35 PM.

I also recommend ambre sultan, its pretty much the only amber I have experience with, but its excellent

thanks guys for all the grat suggestions and to dust b for the mini reviews

I agree with Chris about MPG's Ambre Precieux, but I'd also suggest you get a sample of Parfum D'Empire's Ambre Russe. I'd also recommend Ambre Russe to anybody who wants an amber in a similar ballpark as Ambre Sultan, but who doesn't want to pay the astronomical Lutens prices.

I agree abotu the Prada - it didn't make me nauseous - but it didn't smell much like Ambe ron me - more like Grape Kool-Aid ...
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 8th February 2008 at 09:04 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Default Ultimate Amber Thread

I would like all things amber to be discussed here. I have been considering the purchase of SL Ambre Sultan but I want to make sure there is nothing else I have been missing or need to check out. I won't appologize for the fact that I have been enjoying the Axe Proximity Amber body spray. It is a fresh Amber and quite wearable. Is there anything in comparison to this? A wearable amber?

I love the amber in the extremem drydown of Mona di Orio's Amyitis. The amber has a green character that I love but I cannot survive the aged wax duration to get to it. Lets talk amber. What is the best amber? There is SL, SMN, Tom Ford, et al.

Default Re: Ultimate Amber Thread

I would say it would have to be between Ambre Precieux and and Ambre Sultan...With me, I slightly prefer Sultan. So is Axe Amber exclusively sold at Wal-Mart?

Ambre Precieux and Ambre Sultan doesn't last on me as much as I would like (although Ambre Sultan starts off quite loud). I much prefer Montale's Blue Amber - it's creamier and sexier.

Blog Entries

Axe Proximity: Amber is a poor man's Hermessence Ambre Narguile. There, I said it. It's missing the cinnamon note but otherwise it's similar enough that I feel good about spending about $300 less for a similar product. Nobody's going to be too mad that it doesn't smell like an Ellena masterpiece considering it's about a dollar an ounce.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Basenotes Institution

My favorite amber is Ambre Sultan - I imagine it will always be the amber scent I compare all amber scents to. I love it.

Others that I recommend:

Hermessence: Ambre Narguile by Hermes
    Amber Splash by Marc Jacobs (extremely light, you really have to pile this one on)
    Youth Dew and Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estee Lauder (yes, it's for women - try them anyway)
    L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer Perfumes (my second favorite amber prominent scent...the tar note mixed with it is amazing!)

Another vote for Ambre Precieux, Ambre Narguile and L'Air du Desert Marocain - all magnificent compositions.

I also like Fiori d’Ambra by Profumum - dry and sheer, but the price is silly imho, Michele Bergman's Black Amber oil - resinous and sweet (which I don't hear mentioned much around the fragrance boards) and Geisha Noire - similar in hue to Black Amber and available in EdP as well as oil form.

I admire, but wouldn't personally wear Ambre Russe - a good deal of booze and horse along with the amber in that one - I love it on a man, however.

I have alot of good ideas here! I just ordered a sample of Ambre Narguile because you all have me curious. Blue Amber sounds good but my conern is the vanilla. I don't get along with vanilla dominate scents and I read that the vanilla is prevalent along with the amber. Trebor, is this true? Thanks!

You have to try Eden Botanical's amber. I am sure that I have said this before, but it has been around for years. When I heard that SL had the "granddaddy" of all ambers I had to sniff it, of course...but when I did, I though EB did it first, and they list all of their ingredients. (Serge, I am so sorry, and I love you, I really do!! LOL!)Yes, it is an oil (and like my DH, I know people want to spray on their fragrances), but IMO, it is the most delicious, royal amber ever.

Psst: Sensual Amber from B&BW is yummy, too...
    Last edited by lookingglass; 11th April 2008 at 08:18 PM.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I have alot of good ideas here! I just ordered a sample of Ambre Narguile because you all have me curious.
    Scentologist - here's the thing with Ambre Narguile: I love it, but I would not classify it as an amber heavy fragrance. It's got amber, for sure, but it also features equally proportionate levels of cinnamon, honey, vanilla and this dazzling sugared tonka bean accord. The vanilla in AN is not 'heavy' but AN is a gourmand, and when I apply it the scent really does come across like a fine artisinal dessert. The drydown is less sweet, and the lasting power is excellent. It is my favorite in the Hermessence range, and it really does (like the Hermessence's are supposed to) evoke the smell of 'cashmere', well...if cashmere had a smell. It also smells much better worn in fall/winter.

Good luck with your search!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th April 2008 at 09:04 PM.

I only have Baldessarini Ambre... superbly boozy and loaded with tobbaco .. dries down to a delicious ambery base.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

May I suggest to you Ambre Russe, a rich, full amber that, for me, was intense passion at first sniff.

I too love Parfumerie Generale's Ambre Russe. Very rich with a sparkling, cola-like spiciness, perfect for evenings, and completely unisex in my book.
    Unfortunately, as a relative newbie, it's the only amber-based scent I've ever tried so I can't compare it to anything!

summer means fireflys

I always say I have two favorite ambers: Etro Ambra when you want your amber to whisper and Ambre Sultan when you want it to kick some ass.

But very close behind are Montale Blue Amber, Amber Russe, and Profumum Ambra Aurea.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Post Re: Ultimate Amber Thread

1) Ambre Sultan....My gold standard for Amber .
    2) Blue Amber
    3) Ambre Precieux
    4) Ambre Russe
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Basenotes Institution

Ooh forgot one: Amber & Lavender by Jo Malone. A great, almost soapy interpretation of amber, that reminds many (including me) of the smell of Rainbath shower gel by Neutrogena.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th April 2008 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Ooh forgot one: Amber & Lavender by Jo Malone. A great, almost soapy interpretation of amber, that reminds many (including me) of the smell of Rainbath shower gel by Neutrogena.
    Mike, I have seen enormous bottles of Neutrogena Rainbath at TJ Maxx recently. I mean MASSIVE. 35 ounces, I want to say? That is a whole lot of goodness...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Yes, a fresh amber fragrance with a barbershop like vibe - I loved the sample. If I were to purchase a Jo Malone, this would be at the top of my list.
    -

Ok, it's well known I'm one of the few here who really loves Amber Absolute, but I have given the Lutens a couple full wearings and really, pass the tissues. It is just too beautiful, I want to cry. You ask yourself, how can something be so beautiful, really? So balanced and well executed? I'm not rating this in the pile of ambers or anything, I'm just simply saying that in and of itself, it is something frighteningly sumptuously gorgeous.

I love Jo Malone's as well. It's a little wet nap on me, but that's the point I believe. It's a clean man type smell, and hard for me to classify as ambery, but it's in there.
    Last edited by nthny; 13th April 2008 at 01:10 AM.

OK, I seem to be in the minority, but I think L'Artisan's Ambre Extrême, IMHO Ellena's masterpiece, is the last thing I want to smell on this earth before I die. It's often dismissed as being, "amber and nothing else", well, who needs anything else when the amber is this close to perfection? If I'm not mistaken, amber is an accord and not a note, so they're all different, right?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 13th April 2008 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    OK, I seem to be in the minority, but I think L'Artisan's Ambre Extrême, IMHO Ellena's masterpiece, is the last thing I want to smell on this earth before I die. It's often dismissed as being, "amber and nothing else", well, who needs anything else when the amber is this close to perfection? If I'm not mistaken, amber is an accord and not a note, so they're all different, right?
    I haven't smelled this one yet but with this sentiment it's going on my next sample list for sure!

I have limited experience with amber-prominent fragrances.

Of the ones I have tried, these are my favorites:

Ambre Sultan
    Winter Star
    Caravelle Epicee
    Blue Amber
    Ambre Cannelle
    Ambre Cote Bastide
    Ambre Precieux
    Baldessarini Ambre
    Mediterraneum pour Homme
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I like Profumum's Ambra Aurea. Starts out with a powerful incense note that lasts a few hours then slowly throughout the day dries down to a vanilla amber. I also picked up the Rainbath at TJM . It's lasted the whole winter. Great stuff.

I liked Baldessarini Ambre for a while...And then a girl I was seeing asked if I had just smoked. Needless to say I returned it.

I recommend Ambre Sultan. But use it carefully, it is very strong.

I kinda remember what Ambre Sultan smells like. I use to have the sample but can't find it. I am supposed to be having a sample of the hermes Ambre Narguile on the way. It will be interesting to see how this stacks up to the SL.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post

Ambre Sultan
    Winter Star
    Caravelle Epicee
    Blue Amber
    Ambre Cannelle
    Ambre Cote Bastide
    Ambre Precieux
    Baldessarini Ambre
    Mediterraneum pour Homme
    Nice list!!

I have a bottle of Ambre Precieux and a sample of Ambre Sultan. Love them both, but ended up getting the Ambre Precieux since it got so creamy ... may get Sultan later, though.
    ===

Talking Re: Ultimate Amber Thread

Make that two! Ruggles, thank you for speaking up about Ambre Extreme. It is my most favorite amber frag as well...throughout the entire wearing of this golden juice, the scent begins and remains absolutely EXQUISITE! Undoubtedly my favorite JC Ellena creation! Amen.

Sur la Plage

I just tried Ambra de Nepal by i Profumi di Firenze. It was quite nice. The amber was mixed with cardamom and vanilla. It's a soft, sexy amber based fragrance
    Last edited by petruccijc; 14th April 2008 at 02:32 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Smile Re: Ultimate Amber Thread

I love amber and have tried alot of different ones. Surprisingly Ambre Precieux, Ambre Extreme and L'eau d' ambre are too sweet for me. Ambre Sultan is too sweet for me as are almost all of SL's scents. The best two amber scents I have smelled aren't even a parfume. L'artisan L' eau d' amber shower gel and the scent from MPG amber pagoda. Much drier, darker and brooding amber. That is what I am looking for in an amber. I hope some day to find it. Maybe it is the vanilla paired with the amber in alot of scents that make it too sweet for me. If anyone has any suggestions for me to try please let me know. I may have to revisit
    Ambre Sultan as I have recently discovered that If I only spray once to the chest with a lutens scent it wears much better on me and I enjoy it more.

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I kinda remember what Ambre Sultan smells like. I use to have the sample but can't find it. I am supposed to be having a sample of the hermes Ambre Narguile on the way. It will be interesting to see how this stacks up to the SL.
    It's a totally different story. TOTALLY different world, Ambre Narguile, that is. Very desserty, gourmand. I hope you'll post your thoughts when you receive it! I wrote a review on it but to paraphrase I think it smells a little like cinnamon syrup you'd drizzle on top of vanilla ice cream.
    Last edited by nthny; 13th April 2008 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    It's a totally different story. TOTALLY different world, Ambre Narguile, that is. Very desserty, gourmand. I hope you'll post your thoughts when you receive it! I wrote a review on it but to paraphrase I think it smells a little like cinnamon syrup you'd drizzle on top of vanilla ice cream.
    I will indeed post my thoughts. I have trusted your reviews as they coincide with my sentiments. From the sound of it, it may be too much of a gourmand for me. I like some gourmands but when it gets too foody, I have to draw the line.

Docpsycho, I agree with ya man. Vanilla is my enemy. When I wore my sample of Ambre Sultan last summer, I believe it was the vanilla that swelled up and gave me a headache in the summer heat. I wonder that if I had done the proper application, would it have worked? For frags that are strong or tempermental, I have to do a walk through and this usually makes it wearable for me because it is not a concentrated blast spot; the molecules and dispersed and spread out to give a lighter effect.

Basenotes Institution

I love many JC Ellena scents, but I couldn't get into Ambre Extreme. I was completely underwhelmed.

Default Amber dominated fragrances

Yesterday I got the privilege to smell some essential oils.. of course I went for my favorite notes When I got to amber though.. I was amazed! It's such a beautiful, deep, and warm scent! What are some frags that have a good amount of amber in them? I know I can use the fragrance directory.. but it's hard to know how dominant a certain note can be

Thanks for any suggestions!

Default Re: Amber dominated fragrances

Serge Lutens' Ambre Sultan is one of the best IMO. For a slightly cheaper option, I find L'Artisan's Ambre Extreme to be similar. Parfumerie Generale's L'Ombre Fauve is worth checking out too.

Tom Ford - Amber Absolute (one of the best in his line, a very deep and warm amber)
    Montale - Blue Amber is popular here at Basenotes
    Annick Goutal - Ambre Fetiche (my personal favorite -- dark, with lots of spice and incense notes)

seconding the suggestion of Ambre Sultan
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

L'Air du Desert Marocain, Shalimar, Armani Prive Ambre Soie, Blue Amber, SL's Vetiver Oriental, and last but not least, Axe Proximity Amber.

I forgot to mention Ambre Russe by Parfums d'Empire - an amber / leather combo with boozy topnotes. Definitely unique and one of the most masculine amber scents I've smelled, even though it's labeled in the directory as a feminine.

Even though i like Amber Sultan and Amber Absolute, wheres my MPG Ambre Precieux !
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Ambre Sultan, Ambre Russe, and Blue Amber. The holy trinity.

All those suggested thus far are excellent examples, I will add :

- MPG Ambra Nepal
    - Bond 9 Success is a Job in NYC
    - Armani Amber Soie
    - Profumum Ambre Aurea & Fiore d'Ambra