Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ultimate Amber Thread

May I suggest to you Ambre Russe, a rich, full amber that, for me, was intense passion at first sniff.

I too love Parfumerie Generale's Ambre Russe. Very rich with a sparkling, cola-like spiciness, perfect for evenings, and completely unisex in my book.
    Unfortunately, as a relative newbie, it's the only amber-based scent I've ever tried so I can't compare it to anything!

heart of ice

I always say I have two favorite ambers: Etro Ambra when you want your amber to whisper and Ambre Sultan when you want it to kick some ass.

But very close behind are Montale Blue Amber, Amber Russe, and Profumum Ambra Aurea.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Post Re: Ultimate Amber Thread

1) Ambre Sultan....My gold standard for Amber .
    2) Blue Amber
    3) Ambre Precieux
    4) Ambre Russe
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Basenotes Institution

Ooh forgot one: Amber & Lavender by Jo Malone. A great, almost soapy interpretation of amber, that reminds many (including me) of the smell of Rainbath shower gel by Neutrogena.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th April 2008 at 11:27 PM.
    Currently wearing: Bois des Îles by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Ooh forgot one: Amber & Lavender by Jo Malone. A great, almost soapy interpretation of amber, that reminds many (including me) of the smell of Rainbath shower gel by Neutrogena.
    Mike, I have seen enormous bottles of Neutrogena Rainbath at TJ Maxx recently. I mean MASSIVE. 35 ounces, I want to say? That is a whole lot of goodness...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Yes, a fresh amber fragrance with a barbershop like vibe - I loved the sample. If I were to purchase a Jo Malone, this would be at the top of my list.
    -

Ok, it's well known I'm one of the few here who really loves Amber Absolute, but I have given the Lutens a couple full wearings and really, pass the tissues. It is just too beautiful, I want to cry. You ask yourself, how can something be so beautiful, really? So balanced and well executed? I'm not rating this in the pile of ambers or anything, I'm just simply saying that in and of itself, it is something frighteningly sumptuously gorgeous.

I love Jo Malone's as well. It's a little wet nap on me, but that's the point I believe. It's a clean man type smell, and hard for me to classify as ambery, but it's in there.
    Last edited by nthny; 13th April 2008 at 01:10 AM.

OK, I seem to be in the minority, but I think L'Artisan's Ambre Extrême, IMHO Ellena's masterpiece, is the last thing I want to smell on this earth before I die. It's often dismissed as being, "amber and nothing else", well, who needs anything else when the amber is this close to perfection? If I'm not mistaken, amber is an accord and not a note, so they're all different, right?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 13th April 2008 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    OK, I seem to be in the minority, but I think L'Artisan's Ambre Extrême, IMHO Ellena's masterpiece, is the last thing I want to smell on this earth before I die. It's often dismissed as being, "amber and nothing else", well, who needs anything else when the amber is this close to perfection? If I'm not mistaken, amber is an accord and not a note, so they're all different, right?
    I haven't smelled this one yet but with this sentiment it's going on my next sample list for sure!

I have limited experience with amber-prominent fragrances.

Of the ones I have tried, these are my favorites:

Ambre Sultan
    Winter Star
    Caravelle Epicee
    Blue Amber
    Ambre Cannelle
    Ambre Cote Bastide
    Ambre Precieux
    Baldessarini Ambre
    Mediterraneum pour Homme
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I like Profumum's Ambra Aurea. Starts out with a powerful incense note that lasts a few hours then slowly throughout the day dries down to a vanilla amber. I also picked up the Rainbath at TJM . It's lasted the whole winter. Great stuff.

I liked Baldessarini Ambre for a while...And then a girl I was seeing asked if I had just smoked. Needless to say I returned it.

I recommend Ambre Sultan. But use it carefully, it is very strong.

I kinda remember what Ambre Sultan smells like. I use to have the sample but can't find it. I am supposed to be having a sample of the hermes Ambre Narguile on the way. It will be interesting to see how this stacks up to the SL.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post

Ambre Sultan
    Winter Star
    Caravelle Epicee
    Blue Amber
    Ambre Cannelle
    Ambre Cote Bastide
    Ambre Precieux
    Baldessarini Ambre
    Mediterraneum pour Homme
    Nice list!!

I have a bottle of Ambre Precieux and a sample of Ambre Sultan. Love them both, but ended up getting the Ambre Precieux since it got so creamy ... may get Sultan later, though.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Talking Re: Ultimate Amber Thread

Make that two! Ruggles, thank you for speaking up about Ambre Extreme. It is my most favorite amber frag as well...throughout the entire wearing of this golden juice, the scent begins and remains absolutely EXQUISITE! Undoubtedly my favorite JC Ellena creation! Amen.

Sur la Plage

I just tried Ambra de Nepal by i Profumi di Firenze. It was quite nice. The amber was mixed with cardamom and vanilla. It's a soft, sexy amber based fragrance
    Last edited by petruccijc; 14th April 2008 at 02:32 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Smile Re: Ultimate Amber Thread

I love amber and have tried alot of different ones. Surprisingly Ambre Precieux, Ambre Extreme and L'eau d' ambre are too sweet for me. Ambre Sultan is too sweet for me as are almost all of SL's scents. The best two amber scents I have smelled aren't even a parfume. L'artisan L' eau d' amber shower gel and the scent from MPG amber pagoda. Much drier, darker and brooding amber. That is what I am looking for in an amber. I hope some day to find it. Maybe it is the vanilla paired with the amber in alot of scents that make it too sweet for me. If anyone has any suggestions for me to try please let me know. I may have to revisit
    Ambre Sultan as I have recently discovered that If I only spray once to the chest with a lutens scent it wears much better on me and I enjoy it more.

Rick
    For sale post

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I kinda remember what Ambre Sultan smells like. I use to have the sample but can't find it. I am supposed to be having a sample of the hermes Ambre Narguile on the way. It will be interesting to see how this stacks up to the SL.
    It's a totally different story. TOTALLY different world, Ambre Narguile, that is. Very desserty, gourmand. I hope you'll post your thoughts when you receive it! I wrote a review on it but to paraphrase I think it smells a little like cinnamon syrup you'd drizzle on top of vanilla ice cream.
    Last edited by nthny; 13th April 2008 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    It's a totally different story. TOTALLY different world, Ambre Narguile, that is. Very desserty, gourmand. I hope you'll post your thoughts when you receive it! I wrote a review on it but to paraphrase I think it smells a little like cinnamon syrup you'd drizzle on top of vanilla ice cream.
    I will indeed post my thoughts. I have trusted your reviews as they coincide with my sentiments. From the sound of it, it may be too much of a gourmand for me. I like some gourmands but when it gets too foody, I have to draw the line.

Docpsycho, I agree with ya man. Vanilla is my enemy. When I wore my sample of Ambre Sultan last summer, I believe it was the vanilla that swelled up and gave me a headache in the summer heat. I wonder that if I had done the proper application, would it have worked? For frags that are strong or tempermental, I have to do a walk through and this usually makes it wearable for me because it is not a concentrated blast spot; the molecules and dispersed and spread out to give a lighter effect.

Basenotes Institution

I love many JC Ellena scents, but I couldn't get into Ambre Extreme. I was completely underwhelmed.
    Currently wearing: Bois des Îles by Chanel

Default Amber dominated fragrances

Yesterday I got the privilege to smell some essential oils.. of course I went for my favorite notes When I got to amber though.. I was amazed! It's such a beautiful, deep, and warm scent! What are some frags that have a good amount of amber in them? I know I can use the fragrance directory.. but it's hard to know how dominant a certain note can be

Thanks for any suggestions!

Default Re: Amber dominated fragrances

Serge Lutens' Ambre Sultan is one of the best IMO. For a slightly cheaper option, I find L'Artisan's Ambre Extreme to be similar. Parfumerie Generale's L'Ombre Fauve is worth checking out too.

Tom Ford - Amber Absolute (one of the best in his line, a very deep and warm amber)
    Montale - Blue Amber is popular here at Basenotes
    Annick Goutal - Ambre Fetiche (my personal favorite -- dark, with lots of spice and incense notes)

seconding the suggestion of Ambre Sultan
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

L'Air du Desert Marocain, Shalimar, Armani Prive Ambre Soie, Blue Amber, SL's Vetiver Oriental, and last but not least, Axe Proximity Amber.

I forgot to mention Ambre Russe by Parfums d'Empire - an amber / leather combo with boozy topnotes. Definitely unique and one of the most masculine amber scents I've smelled, even though it's labeled in the directory as a feminine.

Even though i like Amber Sultan and Amber Absolute, wheres my MPG Ambre Precieux !
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Ambre Sultan, Ambre Russe, and Blue Amber. The holy trinity.

All those suggested thus far are excellent examples, I will add :

- MPG Ambra Nepal
    - Bond 9 Success is a Job in NYC
    - Armani Amber Soie
    - Profumum Ambre Aurea & Fiore d'Ambra