Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Amber dominated fragrances

Thanks for all the suggestions so far I assume most of these are probably good for cool/cold weather right?

Dependent

Another vote for Ambre Sultan, Ambre Russe and Ambre Fetiche. They may be a little pricier than the average amber scent, but definitely worth a sniff

Extra votes for Ambre Sultan, Ambre Fetiche, and L'Eau d'Ambre.

If these are out of your usual price range, (and you're not up to treating yourself) then you might want to try:

Prada Amber
    Baldessarini Ambre
    Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire
    1881 Amber by Cerruti
    Marc Jacobs Amber Splash
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 6th September 2009 at 03:59 AM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    L'Eau d'Ambre.
    Ah yes! How could I forget. L'Eau d'Ambre! This one is pretty peppery and animalic though.
    Last edited by MFJ; 6th September 2009 at 04:14 AM.

Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fauve and Profumum Fiore d'Ambra.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I second Baldessarini Ambre as an excellent choice.

From the ones I've tried, Ambre Precieux is the standout but it's getting harder to find these days.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Tom Ford - Amber Absolute (one of the best in his line, a very deep and warm amber)
    That's the best amber I have ever smelled. I bought the big giant 250 ml bottle I like it so much. I think there might be real labdanum absolute in it, it certainly smells like there is.

Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums is definitely one of the best ambers available today. I've found that this wears well in both winter and summer. I would also recommend Ava Luxe's Ambre Tibet, MPG Ambre Precieux, Montale's Blue Amber, PG's L'Ombre Fauve (if you like your amber with a prominent musky note with a touch of incense) and Omnia Ambre (probably the most delicious gourmand amber).
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

AromiErotici

I see nothing but artisan ambers mentioned up in here. Are there no designer ambers that can stand toe to toe with the niche houses?

Ambre Russe and Blue Amber. My wife hates Sultan she says it stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I see nothing but artisan ambers mentioned up in here. Are there no designer ambers that can stand toe to toe with the niche houses?
    So far none that I have smelled. I have smelled amber in designer fragrances, but I have yet to find one that sets a high quality amber up as the dominant note.

There is a mass market EDC by Col. Conks called “Amber” that smells pretty good; though, it sets the amber up behind a “soapy clean” accord. It doesn’t have the best longevity either. I believe it is more to be used as an aftershave than an all day fragrance.
    Last edited by The Duke; 6th September 2009 at 07:52 PM.

Unfortunately, amber is one of the few scent types where there really is a huge difference between the designer and niche offerings.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Unfortunately, amber is one of the few scent types where there really is a huge difference between the designer and niche offerings.
    That's my experience, too. In fact, the very few designer ambers I've encountered really don't resemble what "amber" is on the niche market, tending to smell mostly very soft and vanillic to my nose.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    Yea......I hope my post didn't sound like I was defending designer ambers. I wasn't.....the question was straight up legitimate.

It sounds like niche ambers stand quite taller than their designer counterparts and the designer scents that I like utilizing amber are amber orientals.

I may have to sample some niche amber frags since winter isn't that far off.

Yea......I hope my post didn't sound like I was defending designer ambers. I wasn't.....the question was straight up legitimate.

It sounds like niche ambers stand quite taller than their designer counterparts and the designer scents that I like utilizing amber are amber orientals.

Aromi, in my experience I've found that designers often use amber as a fixative in the basenotes of frags and are reluctant to let the amber be the star player. I had never, before finding basenotes, came upon a fragrance that is solely an amber fragrance. This discussion actually shows exactly why some may favor niche over designer, there is less restriction based upon sales and perfumers are allowed to explore notes more individualistically. Like many have noted above there are some fabulous amber frags available in the niche world. I, myself, am not a fan of amber, I find it too resinous for my liking, but if I had to pick a favorite it would definitely be Amber Sultan.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Aromi, in my experience I've found that designers often use amber as a fixative in the basenotes of frags and are reluctant to let the amber be the star player. I had never, before finding basenotes, came upon a fragrance that is solely an amber fragrance. This discussion actually shows exactly why some may favor niche over designer, there is less restriction based upon sales and perfumers are allowed to explore notes more individualistically. Like many have noted above there are some fabulous amber frags available in the niche world. I, myself, am not a fan of amber, I find it too resinous for my liking, but if I had to pick a favorite it would definitely be Amber Sultan.
    Yes.....that makes perfect sense to me. I have sampled SOME niche ambers like AS along with a few others and found them all to be different, but very well done. Since I haven't sampled enough of them to want a bottle for myself, I think I shall get some samples very soon of not only niche ambers, but patchouli also.

Thanks for the explanation bro.

Me too! Now that I have some names to look out for

It's a shame for Blue Amber's price tag.. I've never seen a cologne without any negative reviews

Sur la Plage

For something non-niche, I would highly recommend trying Kiehl's Amber Essence Oil - it comes in a roll-on for $25.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    For something non-niche, I would highly recommend trying Kiehl's Amber Essence Oil - it comes in a roll-on for $25.
    The Kiehl's is not half bad, and worth a try. Prada Amer was also mentioned as a cheaper alternative, and it's not bad.

The problem with most cheaper amber fragrances, in my experience, is that they substitute a lot of powdery vanilla notes and lose a lot of the deeper, spicier amber that you find in better versions.

edit: Let me add that one of my favorite amber fragrances is really inexpensive, but I had totally forgotten about it as I wrote this. Its a blend of oils called "Dragon Amber" at this local place called Escential. Sandalwood, Amber, and a touch of patchouli. I recommend the 1/3oz roller ball. The stuff is VERY strong in the oil version. Worth a try for amber fans.

http://store.escentialonline.com/sha...t=products.asp

-Slim
    Last edited by SlimPickins; 7th September 2009 at 02:46 PM.
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Amber Absolute is the best amber fragrance that I've tried. It's just beautiful.
    There is some vanilla in the drydown but I am not sure if I'd call that as a problem since I think it supports the fragrance really well.

I must admit that I haven't tried MPG Amber Precieux though

L'occitane Amber is a good choice. It's cheap and one of the best L'occitane scents.

My favorite amber - Tom Ford Amber absolute
    The one which I don't like - L'artisan Ambre extreme.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

L' Occitane Ambre

Better than some of the niche ambers in my opinion
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

highly recommended -

1. Annick Goutal Ambre Fetische - dark incense amber
    2. Profumum Ambra Aurea - pure amber and ambergris
    3. Farmacia Annunziata Ambra Nera - a northern woods amber
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 7th September 2009 at 04:05 PM.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    L' Occitane Ambre

I have never tried this one. Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    L' Occitane Ambre

Lucky theres a L'Occitane close to my uni. i'll check it out 2mr
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Would I be wrong in suggesting Opium Pour Homme EDP

Another vote for Amber Absolute and Amber Sultan

Amber accord contains resins, labdanum and vanilla. A very prominent designer fragrance which contains this accord is Guerlain Shalimar. To my nose, Habit Rouge also has this accord, but in slightly different proportions.
    Last edited by Asha; 7th September 2009 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    Me too! Now that I have some names to look out for

It's a shame for Blue Amber's price tag.. I've never seen a cologne without any negative reviews
    I hate it. Lol. Way to resinous in an oddly medicinal way. Super SUPER sweet and it lasts forever.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Blue Amber, Ambre 114 and Ambra Aurea get my vote.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    All those suggested thus far are excellent examples, I will add :

- MPG Ambra Nepal
    - Bond 9 Success is a Job in NYC
    - Armani Amber Soie
    - Profumum Ambre Aurea & Fiore d'Ambra
    I second the Profumums and also Ambre del Nepal by il Profumo di Firenze. MPG Ambre Precieux is wonderful too . Blue Amber by Montale is nice but gets a little cloying after a while. Ava Luxe does some nice ambers - probably in perfume oil form now .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 7th September 2009 at 05:44 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Amber accord contains resins, labdanum and vanilla. A very prominent designer fragrance which contains this accord is Guerlain Shalimar. To my nose, Habit Rouge also has this accord, but in slightly different proportions.
    Absolutely... I love the amber in Shalimar. Excellent way to get your amber fix, and it won't break your wallet either.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Blue Amber, Ambre 114 and Ambra Aurea get my vote.

I "second" these three. They really are, without a doubt, the "creme de la creme" of amber frags ! ...

(Though I must admit that I've also found myself becoming really fond of TF's "Amber Absolute" lately ! ... And it lasts on me forever !)

If I could only choose one though ... It would probably be "Ambre 114". ... It is ever so slightly a little "more masculine", and also slightly less sweet.

But they are all gorgeous ! ... "Ambers" are definitely my fave fragrance "type" !

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    I second the . . . . and also Ambre del Nepal by il Profumo di Firenze.
    Guess I screwed that up huh ? Thanks for the redirection.

My two favorite ambers are Ambre 114 and Ambre Russe. They could not be more different. Ambre 114 is a refined, dry, smoothly herbal amber, like a superior version of Ambre Sultan ( and without that play-dough note ). Ambre Russe is rich, sweet, gourmand, boozy, and animalic; quite complex, and a bit over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    My two favorite ambers are Ambre 114 and Ambre Russe. They could not be more different. Ambre 114 is a refined, dry, smoothly herbal amber, like a superior version of Ambre Sultan ( and without that play-dough note ). Ambre Russe is rich, sweet, gourmand, boozy, and animalic; quite complex, and a bit over the top.
    Oh yes it is! I'm not one for much in the way of animalic notes in my frags, and upon testing Ambre Russe I was completely blindsided by it. You should have seen my face, I was for some reason or another expecting this smooth, boozy, sweet amber. I apply it and wait a few seconds before sticking my nose in my wrist, and WHOAH!!! I must have looked like I saw a ghost! For those that think a boozy, animalic amber sounds good, definitely give it a try.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 7th September 2009 at 09:10 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Yes I forgot Ambre Russe - wonderful.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    Lucky theres a L'Occitane close to my uni. i'll check it out 2mr
    OMG - I think you'll find L'Occitane discontinted the amber quite some time ago. Good luck tho.

With respect:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Extra votes for Ambre Sultan, Ambre Fetiche, and L'Eau d'Ambre.

If these are out of your usual price range, (and you're not up to treating yourself) then you might want to try:

Prada Amber
    Baldessarini Ambre
    Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire
    1881 Amber by Cerruti
    Marc Jacobs Amber Splash
    Now, I don't actually think any of the designers can go toe to toe with the niches; however ...

Default What's Your Best Amber Scent?

I have a desire to explore amber scents and I only have L'air du désert marocain to go by. I hear a lot about Ambre Sultan and I'm intrigued by Tom Fords Amber Absolute. Whats your best amber scent?

Dependent

Default Re: What's Your Best Amber Scent?

My top 3 (in order of current preference):

L'Ombre Fauve - musk amber
    Ambre Russe - booze amber
    Ambre Sultan - spice amber

I really love ambers!
    Last edited by MFJ; 1st April 2010 at 02:24 PM.

DeepSilence

What did happened for Avatars !!!!!!

Ambre Russe

Another vote for Ambre Russe. Heavenly, heavenly stuff. I'm also very, very fond of SL's Ambre Sultan, though. Amber's one of my favorite notes. So rich and deep and lovely...

I love both SL Amber Sultan and TF Amber Absolute .... Tom Ford wins it for me tho

very easy decision, Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche

Black XS, MPG's Ambre Precieux and Ed Hardy Man.

I've also got L'Artisan's Ambre Extreme, which I find a bit too feminine for the first half hour or so.
    Renato

I love ambers, here are my favorites in order of preference:

Histoires de Parfums Ambre 114 (Holy grail amber for me!)
    Montale Blue Amber
    Tom Ford Amber Absolute
    Serge Lutens Amber Sultan

Ambre Russe, by far, but Ambre 114 is a close second, and the two are polar opposites within their genre.

Ambre 114 or Ambre Precieux for softer amber. Profumum's Ambra Aurea for a more forceful Amber. But Ambre Russe, Ambre Sultan, and Amber Absolute are al worthy.

Ambre Fetiche is my current favorite. I like Ambre Sultan a lot as well. Ambre Precieux made a good first impression, but I need to sample more.

I really want to do an exhaustive testing of amber-centered fragrances!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    My top 3 (in order of current preference):

L'Ombre Fauve - musk amber
    Ambre Russe - booze amber
    Ambre Sultan - spice amber

I really love ambers!
    Yet to smell the first two above as well as Ambre 114 so, for now, Tom Ford Amber Absolute.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Basenotes Institution

Ambre Sultan

Sur la Plage

The Sultan
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Another vote for the boozy Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Bois1920 Vetiver Ambrato.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Ambre Russe
    isn't that a feminine fragrance?

Ambre 114 is my favorite amber by far, followed by MPG Ambre Precieux. Ava Luxe's Ambra Tibet is worth seeking out, it is a dry spicy amber.

Ambre Sultan..Serge Lutens. Rich, dry Amber blended with sandalwood,patchouli,coriander,and spices to perfection.
    Blue Amber..Montale is right on It's heel's.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I love the anise note in Armani Privé Ambre Soie.

Ambre Sultan is sort king of the ambers I think.

Very nice.