Code of Conduct

Thread: Spicy Oriental

Default Spicy Oriental

Whats up guys and gals? I am looking for a good spicy oriental. I have a couple samples of Spicebomb and I really like it but I dont know if its longevity will hold. Are there any favorite spicy orientals that do a better job. I like the 1 million and Tobacco Vanille combo in it. I like Egoiste, and I havent smelled YSL Opium Pour Homme but I heard it was pretty good. Any thoughts on reasonably priced spicy orientals?

Default Re: Spicy Oriental

Penhaligons L P No 9 is a really spicy oriental and a lot like Opium PH and is exotic.

Go with Egoiste.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I love spicy oriental fragrances. And I have owned Spicebomb for several months. I really do like the scent and receive many compliments. However, projection and longevity are both poor. So poor, that I keep an extra bottle at my job just to spray throughout the day. Otherwise, it is gone in 2 hours. I also have One Million. It lasts longer than Spicebomb but smells like a synthetic mess to me. The vintage Egoiste, I have a small bottle of it, is what a spicy oriental should be. It is thick, cloying, vanillic, distinct and delicious. It is not a scent that most 25 and under fellas appreciate. I think it should be in every gentlemen's wardrobe. Tobacco Vannille, excellent. Great scent, long lasting and well made. No synthetic mess there. As for YSL Opium Pour Homme, the prior note that was written is correct. It is quite exotic, complex. Try a sample before you buy. It is not for every one. I get the feeling that Tobacco Vanille may be your best bet. Hope it all works out for you.

I actually have a decant of TV but it get a root beer smell on me and I want to go more towards the cinnamon/spice and vanilla side like Spicebomb but I want te longevity and medium projection that should go with it too.

What about good ole "Old Spice". Its a classic and fits the type you are looking to find. It is a lil old school though.

Longevity is so poor with Old Spice, though... I suppose you could just continuously reapply it.

Gengis Khan is the perfect spicy oriental if you can find it.

Body Kouros, La Nuit de L'Homme, The One Gentleman, Brit for Men, DSquared Potion, Mont Blanc Presence, CK One Shock, Obsession for Men and Euphoria Intense, Cartier Must PH and the soon to be released Declaration Soir. Maybe even Lolita Lempicka au Masculin and L'Instant PH.

Also if you like TV you must try Eau de Baux (I don't find it all that spicy though).

Black Soul, 212 VIP and the previously mentioned CK One Shock are good 1 Million alternatives.
    Last edited by andym72; 15th July 2012 at 12:14 AM.

Ok spicy compared to something like Spicebomb. I have some old school Old Spice but thats not what I am looking for. I have La Nuit and DG The One and im looking for something with a spice and cinnamon type kick not powdery. Does anyone have longevity and projection issues with Spicebomb or know of its twin with good longevity and projection?

Quote Originally Posted by Ih8buffering View Post
    im looking for something with a spice and cinnamon type kick not powdery
    Then from my list, DSquared Potion, Mont Blanc Presence, Obsession for Men and Cartier Must PH. All 4 have dominant Cinnamon, and not powdery. At the moment, there is nothing that is a "Spicebomb ripoff" on the market, although Spicebomb is clearly riding the wave set off by 1 Million.

Come to think of it, Joop Homme has a massive helping of Cinnamon too...

Thanks for the suggestions. Has anyone tried Kerosene's Copper Skies, and what do you think of it? I have watched a ton of his reviews and he seems like he knows what he wants so I was looking to get a sample of it.

Also try Jaipur by Boucheron, and for really cheap and REALLY spicy try Zero Plus Masculine by Diesel...its nice but too spicy for me

Banned

Try:

cK One Shock for Him by Calvin Klein - One is initially treated to a mildly fresh accord. Clementine, with its sweet orangey and faint floral facets, lavender with its clean, herbal character, as well as cucumber, with its medicinal, sea-like aspect, all commingle in a brisk concoction. A cloud of something, perhaps aldehydes or the cryptic, energy drink accent, imparts an effervescence to the invigorating blend. Transitioning to the heart, a field day with herbs is had. Leafy, black basil, with its licorice accent, vivacious and woody black pepper as well as mildly spicy and sweet cardamom encase the opening. A nascent tobacco serves as a backdrop to the herbal jubilation. Segueing to the base, the rich and spicy tobacco has come into full bloom, while an earthy mustiness of patchouli flitters about. A pleasant ambrene wood infuses its laurel-like, sweet and spicy, woody overtures. And, a casheran musk imparts its velvety, somewhat floral bouquet. An enjoyable drydown ensues. This versatile composition is an all-season scent with average projection and average longevity, 6-8 hours. Its favorable price point makes this fragrance even more welcomed.

Poivre by Caron.

Fleurs de Sel

Feminite de Bois

Vitriol de Oeuliet.

for swap/sale:

Try Costume National Homme. Cinnamon plays the main role here and projection and longevity are off the scale.

Diptyque Eau Lente is nice.

+1 on the Costume National.

Does anyone have longevity and projection issues with Spicebomb?
    One reason I *OWN Spicebomb is because I get pretty good longevity and projection from it.

I sampled it one day, and got a good 6 to 8 hours longevity from it that day. The projection was also very good, and the compliment factor was very high as well.

Now...let me preface this by saying that a lot of fragrances simply won't last on me. Ones that others say that get "8+ hours" will barely last me 3 to 4 hours on me, tops. That said, I've also experienced pretty good longevity (around 6 hours or so) on ones that a lot of people say disappear on them "within an hour".

Since everyone is different, body chemistry generally determines longevity and projection just as much, if not more so, than the fragrance itself. The best way to see how Spicebomb will react with your body chemistry is to go someplace like Nordstrom and have them make a sample for you. That way you can wear it for several days and see what kind of projection and longevity you get from it. Just because three or four other people commenting in a thread say that the longevity is horrible for them doesn't mean that it might not be outstanding on you.....

Sushi Imperiale - Bois 1920

Quite sweet, cinnamon prominent, suggestion of candied ginger, respectable longevity.

Egoiste and Costume National Homme EDP.

what spices do you like?

I like Potion
    Last edited by pawful; 15th July 2012 at 06:09 AM.

Whats up guys and gals? I am looking for a good spicy oriental. I have a couple samples of Spicebomb and I really like it but I dont know if its longevity will hold. Are there any favorite spicy orientals that do a better job. I like the 1 million and Tobacco Vanille combo in it. I like Egoiste, and I havent smelled YSL Opium Pour Homme but I heard it was pretty good. Any thoughts on reasonably priced spicy orientals?
    I'm pretty new to fragrances, so bear that in mind. But as it happens, I was sampling both Spicebomb and Opium Pour Homme yesterday. Neither of them fits my tastes, but I did find them pretty similar - with the Spicebomb being the stronger of the two.

On the other hand, I love Egoiste (I only have a 4ml sample, but there's a full bottle on its way to me), and I don't find it at all similar to Spicebomb or Opium Pour Homme. Apart from the "spicy oriental" thing, what makes the Egoiste for me is the rose/rosewood/sandalwood, which I think are very nicely balanced. With the absence of the woods in the other two, I get a cloying sickly sweetness.

(Note: This is after wearing Egoiste several times, but just a 1-hour sample of the other two)
    Alan

I have 3- spray samples of spicebomb but I heard they ready done a reformulation and now it's weaker. Is this true? To me the mix is perfect since I have a bottle of PR 1Million and TF Tobacco Vanille. I would hate to buy a bottle and it be weaker then my samples. I make decanted of everything I own so I'm not afraid to carry reinforcements.

As far as fave spices I also like a tad bit sweet in it also to level it out. Egoiste is very good and I love the dry down. I just dot like stuff to become close to the skin. We need a database were we can plug in notes and it gives you fragrances in that realm

L'Artisan Parfumeur - L'Eau du Navigateur
    Penhaligon's - Elixir
    Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Hermès Ambre Narguilè.

Try my favorite:
    Gucci Envy
    Jubilation XXV

Amber Sultan
    Jubilation XXV

Try Costume National Homme very spicy super long lasting with mega sillage. I would only recommend it for cooler time of the year not summer.

Black Soul Imperial
    +1 CK Shock
    +1 Jaipur

Kenzo Jungle homme

Jaipur homme edp
    Snarky is as snarky does.

I will recommend Spice for him by M.micallef

GoT samples of Costume National, sushi imperial, CDG 2 man, and CDG 888 coming. I have a sample of Jubilation XXV.

Arabie and Chic.