Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Burr gives Daisy by Marc Jacobs three stars

'...People who come across it on your skin will stop and hesitate, attempting to classify the scent, but will find it impossible to pin down.'

More at the NYT blog here

Default Re: Burr gives Daisy by Marc Jacobs three stars

Interesting.
    I was in Nordy's this past saturday and I remember testing this. I liked it enough to remember I almost considered it for myself.... but strangely, I can't seem to remember what it smells like for the life of me.

...and - dare I say? - bor-ing? (In my never-humble-opinion)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I didn't exactly like it either when I tried it. I agree with Taolady that it was a pretty basic scent -- nothing to really write home about.

Why is Burr dedicating entire review columns to mediocre fragrances ?
    -

I can't agree more. I find it quite bland, nothing exciting or memorable.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Why is Burr dedicating entire review columns to mediocre fragrances ?
    Well honestly, Daisy is / was being pushed a LOT in the stores, in ads, in magazine write ups - I think most women who don't read Basenotes and aren't fragrance enthusiasts would easily believe that Daisy is wonderful, Marc Jacobs and it's fragrance marketing team have spent a ton of $ to give off that vibe.

Burr is really just using his position to bring a reality check to some fragrances that really deserve some honest critiquing.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 8th April 2008 at 11:05 PM.

With the exception of Burr's review of En Passant, I don't think I've ever agreed with him. (Did he like Sublime, too? If he liked Sublime, I agreed with them then, as well). He seems to like very trendy and mainstream fragrances. But he's sort of like the "Entertainment Tonight" of the fragrance world, isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah View Post
    With the exception of Burr's review of En Passant, I don't think I've ever agreed with him. (Did he like Sublime, too? If he liked Sublime, I agreed with them then, as well). He seems to like very trendy and mainstream fragrances. But he's sort of like the "Entertainment Tonight" of the fragrance world, isn't he?
    It's interesting. What he writes about En passant?
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Chandler Burr's Top 10 Favorite Fragrances:
    http://www.randomhouse.com/boldtype/0303/burr/essay.html

"As for En Passant, I'm told by Malle's people that it was born in the instant that Giacobetti somewhere on a street in her native Italy passed a bakery and a florist and got pastry, flowers, and street all at once. I'm willing to believe that, because the scent is so fascinating, but what this woman has crafted isn't just a smell; the damn thing transports you with loveliness. I would say that it's magic, but I know it's simply molecules. Still, your retinas shrink from the pure pleasure of this scent." - Chandler Burr