Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Burr reviews Paris by YSL, Lipstick Rose by Malle & Cannabis Rose by Fresh

'...It is universally known inside the fragrance industry that rose reads as "old lady” and tests poorly in focus groups. Which is why you read disproportionately more about rose in press releases (you like the idea of it) than smell rose in perfumes (the reality makes you shy away)...

Lipstick Rose by Frederic Malle gets 4 stars / Paris by YSL and Cannabis Rose by Fresh both get 5 stars. For full reviews click here.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th April 2008 at 04:30 PM.

Default Re: Burr reviews Paris by YSL, Lipstick Rose by Malle & Cannabis Rose by Fresh

I have been testing an official 7.5ml decant of Cannabis Rose. Its definitely unisex and worth sampling. The tartiness of the pomegranate note is used to great effect here. The tea note lifts the composition while the patchouli-like cannabis accord imparts a light darkness. And yes, the rose note does its thing. To me its Pomegranate Noir the way it was supposed to be.
    Last edited by zztopp; 12th April 2008 at 05:31 AM.
    -

Default Re: Burr reviews Paris by YSL, Lipstick Rose by Malle & Cannabis Rose by Fresh

Thanks Mike for for bringing those reviews to our attention. I am dying to try Cannabis Rose and Lipstick Rose and this just fueled the fire

Thanks Mike...you are always so current and so generous in sharing!!

I'm gonna find a sample of that Fresh - but it'll take a lot to unseat/equal Paris for me. Been in Paris for -like - ever...when I get rich and powerful I'll have closets-full of everything Grosjman ever conceived. I am on her wavelength. Totally different to Lipstick Rose which I also love for different reasons (So bloomy! So "in your face" in gleaming black stilettos!!)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Yes, Mike Perez, you always keep us at the forefront of fragrance! Many thanks.

I really like Paris. I went through a phase with it, so now I don't wear it too much. Lipstick rose is very pretty, it is true to it's name...however, I find Verte Violette taking it's place on my skin more often these days! Now I have Cannabis Rose to put on my 'have got to try' list!

Thanks,
    I like Burr's style - paradigm of the paradigmatic rose
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Basenotes Institution

You're welcome everyone.

I can't say I like Paris, I've tried it multiple times and there is something in it that just doesn't settle right on my skin...I always get the image of a doilly on my grandmothers bedside for some reason when I smell it.

I haven't smelled the other two, however I have read enough about the two of them before to safely say they don't sound like something I need to own at this point in my wardrobe.

Paris is such a divine rose scent, I could not even express the pleasure it brings while wearing it.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser ŕ sa source

Thanks so much for posting! I love roses. Kind of weird to see Burr use my nemesis phrase, "old lady" to describe rose perfumes. Grrrrr

The reviews, as always, are fascinating. Paris is one of my all-time favorites, too.