Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Shalimar Question

In that era that perfumes like DIOR HOMME and FLEUR DU MALE are marketed as male scents Why a man cant wear SHALIMAR which is in todays perception real unisex?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Shalimar Question

Of course you can. I love and wear Shalimar, many other BNers as well.

Post Thanks / Like

How Many Sprays U Use Gerald?

Post Thanks / Like

I remember of having liked it back when I skin tested it.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

I like it very much, and I have the EDP, but I am scared of wearing it in public. It makes me self-conscious. So I wear it only at home.

Post Thanks / Like

As it's quite powerful, it doesn't take more than three or four sprays.

Quote Originally Posted by dalailama1 View Post
    How Many Sprays U Use Gerald?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

...Why a man cant wear SHALIMAR which is in todays perception real unisex?
    If you like Shalimar wear it. Don't worry whether it's classified as unisex or not.

Life is too short for fretting over classifications and/or what people think about the way you smell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Life is too short for fretting over classifications and/or what people think about the way you smell.
    Werd.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Most people won't even think twice about it unless you tell them it's a women's fragrance. Besides, most people wouldn't know the difference between Shalimar and Shamu.

For the record, I wear Shalimar Light and once it starts to dry down, I enjoy the hell out of it. I even get compliments on it too. The whole gender line in fragrances is so blurred anyway, so wear what you want. Some (usually women) actually respect your confidence if they do find out that you are wearing a scent "marketed" towards women.

Post Thanks / Like

I wear both Shalimar and Shalimar Light...along with Mitsouko, Apres L'Ondee, Cabochard, and several other women's scents. I could care less at this point...but I will admit that at one point, it was definitely a concern for me. Men will always face that challenge I think.

At my local department store, they seem to randomly decide where certain brands should go...the Bois 1920 line is in the men's section, and Etat Libre D'Orange is in the women's (as an example)...but both brands are perfectly unisex imo.

I wear Shalimar all the time and get compliments from members of both genders whenever I do.
    Very powdery, vanilla-laden, spicy, Oriental and lush but not (IMHO) necessarily femme.
    (I see no reason not to see this one as unisex -- none whatsoever.)

It's best (or at least its most complex) in its edp form, I think.
    The edt concentration is remarkably long lasting (for an edt, that is), and a tad spicier.

Guerlain's greatest creation, IMHO -- and that's saying a lot.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 10th April 2008 at 11:18 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks To All.

Post Thanks / Like

In that era that perfumes like DIOR HOMME and FLEUR DU MALE are marketed as male scents Why a man cant wear SHALIMAR which is in todays perception real unisex?
    When the voice and vision on the inside become more profound and clear than the opinions on the outside, then you have mastered your life.

My BF feels like vomiting when I wear it but I'm just in the 7th Heaven when I smell it. Like a 'thicker' version of Habit Rouge. I'm one of those who prefer the EdC version. The softness of it is incomparable...

Shalimar Parfum 30 ml (limited numbered 'Black' edition), Parfum 30 ml, EdT 93 ml, PdT 50 ml, EdC 45 ml

Post Thanks / Like

Pluran Is Great Like Always

Can we at least say it's a compromise? If my BF wants to divorce me because of Shalimar, then I have NOT mastered my life

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    When the voice and vision on the inside become more profound and clear than the opinions on the outside, then you have mastered your life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love Shalimar and use it in both EDP and parfum concentrations - and sometimes both together!

If you like it and feel that you both *could* and *want* to wear it, then wear it, regardless of how it's marketed. As others have said, the general public won't recognize what it is anyhow and they will either like it or not as they would for any decidedly-masculine fragrance that you might wear.
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

Post Thanks / Like

Shalimar has a much hairier chest than Fluer du Male. I bought my girlfriend a bottle of it since they had 30 ml bottles for 20$ at a discount chemist near mine, and basically said 'If you don't like it, I'll wear it.' She did like it, however her sister couldnt quite figure out the twist part of the cap and broke the sprayer off trying to force it down
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Mr. Guerlain - the EdC concentration of Shalimar works best for me, though the EdT isn't bad either. I like this one dialed down on me - the sillage and longevity with even the EdC smashes most so-called EdTs out there today, even some of my faves.

I too have largely stopped giving a damn about the gendering of fragrances. Now I just wear what appeals to me. I'm a sucker for Mitsouko and Ivoire de Balmain, and I'm coming around to Fracas (thanks Coconut!) and Eau D'Ivoire too.

I still love my Azzaro PH, Aramis, Tuscany, Eau Sauvage, YSL PH, Jacomo de Jacomo, Paul Sebastian (I could go on) and other masculine fragrances, but variety is a good thing. Especially if you're a man of many moods - even alpha-males have to take a break from kicking ass and taking names once in a while. It can't be all about strut and swagger all the time.

I also tend to underspray unless it's Guerlain Imperiale or Eau D'Orange Verte or one of those citrus-based true EdCs . I still have to remind myself that a smaller dose of anything is easier to pull off than too much, be it unisex, "masculine" or "feminine."
    Loves of Late: Agua Lavanda, Eau Sauvage, Gendarme, Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain EdC Imperiale, Ivoire de Balmain, Kenzo PH, Mitsouko, Royall Lyme, Tabac Original

Post Thanks / Like

My 70 year old Aunt wears Shalimar; that's reason enough for me not to...