Code of Conduct

Default Clubman Special Reserve by Pinaud

I picked up a bottle of this the other day. It's a sweet leather scent very much like Creed REL, but not as sweet. Very potent: a little goes a long way.

Anyone who likes Creed's REL or Dana's English Leather should try this.

Default Re: Clubman Special Reserve by Pinaud

Thanks for the info. I like Clubman a lot and will look into this one.

While I agree that this is "cologne strength," just a few (big) differences:

1) this is an aftershave, meant as a splash
    2) it costs less than $10 for a huge bottle
    3) comparing it to Creed is like comparing Aqua Velva to Penhaligon
    4) I get musk out of this more than any other fragrance

YMMV, but to me this is just stinky. And I like Pinaud products. I'll stick with Clubman and Bay Rum.

I wore this today for the first time. Imagine REL without the "urinal cake" sweetness and that's what this stuff smells like to me. It's a solid leather fragrance that is better than REL and EL, IMO.

Clubman - one of the all time great leathers!

I'm always interested in unsweet dry shaving type leathers---will have to try this.

Pinaud talcum is special too.
    BOIEK::LAPISHCHIN
    Tsar::0f::The::Samovar
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Yatagan
    Eau d'Hermès and Habit Rouge
    Eau de Rochas Homme
    Carven Vetiver
    Gucci Envy and his bad brother Le Mâle
    English Leather (Dana) and Agua Lavanda (Puig)

One other thing: the Special Reserve is labeled as a cologne/aftershave, not just an aftershave.

And not to belabor the point, but I'm really impressed with this stuff. It's a great leather.

Where are you guys seeing this? My local druggists don't carry anything but the standard Clubman.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Where are you guys seeing this? My local druggists don't carry anything but the standard Clubman.
    You can find it at several online retailers. I got mine from an ebay seller who deals in barbershop supplies. (Got the Pinaud Bay Rum and Clubman Musk, too.)

Quote Originally Posted by GMF View Post
    Got the Pinaud Bay Rum and Clubman Musk, too.
    While we're loving on Pinaud . . . . Draggon Noir is a fun little imitation Drakkar Noir, and Crew is a pretty good original Polo. As a matter of fact, I think I will wear Crew tomorrow in honor of this thread. I think there's also an imitation Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men -- "Geo."

Does anyone like the Lilac Vegetal?
    Last edited by Advocate; 14th April 2008 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Correct name of Geo.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post

My Barber always has this on his shelf.

While we're loving on Pinaud . . . . Draggon Noir is a fun little imitation Drakkar Noir, and Crew is a pretty good original Polo. As a matter of fact, I think I will wear Crew tomorrow in honor of this thread. I think there's also an imitation Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men -- "Geo."
    I am probably just being dense, but I don't see the connection between your comments and a thread about the relative merits of Special Reserve.

My impression was that this was more of a 'this is a good fragrance which is similar to' thread rather than 'this fragrance is a cheap imitation of' thread.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I wrote a review of this some time ago, saying it was a bit uncouth and deranged...or some blather to that effect.

I've come to appreciate this more fully with time - as with the other Clubmans this too is a winner, though perhaps not as universal in its barbershop appeal as the original Clubman aftershave. Clubman Vanilla's quite nice too...far less cloying than one might think.

And I'm probably due for a bottle of Lilac Vegetal too...I remember it quite fondly in spite of the less-than-stellar reviews I've read here and elsewhere.
    Loves of Late: Agua Lavanda, Eau Sauvage, Gendarme, Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain EdC Imperiale, Ivoire de Balmain, Kenzo PH, Mitsouko, Royall Lyme, Tabac Original

So. the Clubman special products such as the Special Reserve and the (earler) Lime Sec are essentially internet products. I have never seen the Lime anywhere.... I sincerely doubt I will see Special Reserve in any place that sells original Clubman (pharmacies).

I think this is strange. Essentially Pinuad puts out these products to sell over the internet exclusively?

I will most certainly buy a bottle of Clubman Special Reserve. One of my fave aftershaves is Lilac Vegtal!
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I am probably just being dense, but I don't see the connection between your comments and a thread about the relative merits of Special Reserve.

My impression was that this was more of a 'this is a good fragrance which is similar to' thread rather than 'this fragrance is a cheap imitation of' thread.

I think you may have missed the point that the aftershaves/colognes he mentioned are all made by Pinaud as well. So he's very much on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    I think you may have missed the point that the aftershaves/colognes he mentioned are all made by Pinaud as well. So he's very much on topic.
    You are right, I was being dense!

I had never heard of them and didn't see them listed on the Clubman website, so I assumed (always a bad thing to do) that they were not Pinaud products.

Looking closer, I did find Draggon Noir in their Lustray line. I haven't found the other two on that site but did find references by googling for them.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Looking closer, I did find Draggon Noir in their Lustray line. I haven't found the other two on that site but did find references by googling for them.
    I have not been able to find Geo, Crew, or Naturelle Sec anywhere today. I wonder if that means that they have been discontinued? I had really wanted to try Naturelle Sec.

The official Pinaud site is here:

http://www.clubmancool.com

I ordered my Special Reserve bottle yesterday.

Thanks, guys.
    Last edited by knightowl; 15th April 2008 at 04:36 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I ordered my Clubman Special Reserve and threw my Creed Royal English Leather in the trash, it's that good.

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    I ordered my Clubman Special Reserve and threw my Creed Royal English Leather in the trash, it's that good.
    How do you know "it's that good" if you haven't even gotten it yet? (And something tells me you really didn't throw your REL in the trash. hehe)
    --------------------------------------
    You guys who said you were going to try this and did, what do you think?
    Last edited by GMF; 19th April 2008 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thumbs up Re: Clubman Special Reserve by Pinaud

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    I'm a fan of Royal English Leather. I'd of taken it off your hands.

Im with GMF & Sampler Mike ,, this is great juice .
    Thanks TwoRoads for putting me onto this classic .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I like this. I bought it from Amazon.com. Little did I know that as it is shipped from a third-party vendor I had to pay an exorbitant shipping charge. The shipping was almost as much as the juice.

At first, I think this is a bit harsh. No sweetness at all, but there are florals in there hiding out. Then, after about an hour or so, some vanilla creeps in by the side door. Its a rich brown juice that is close to being a Clubman barbershop product, but a bit rough on the edges. Maybe a barbershop in Yuma. When I've worn this I think of Clark Gable in some of his late Westerns, or Ward Bond. (Eh Gad, nobody here remembers Ward Bond!!)

It will go into my rotation as soon as the weather cools. I don't see this as a hot summer fragrance. Does anyone disagree? Would love to hear how this gets worn in the blazing heat in Arizona or somewhere. Frankly, I can't image it.

Very interesting. All I know is that I like the smell of the Clubman talc the barber uses on my neck after he straightens it up.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan