Code of Conduct

Default What's that hairspray smell? Oakmoss & sandalwood?

Just wondering what is the major cause of that smell so many dislike (including me) in certain frags.
    Thanks.

Default Re: What's that hairspray smell? Oakmoss & sandalwood?

I'm no expert but I don't think so. O and S are warmer, softer scents. Hairspray to me is more like a sharp lavender and/or citrus. I get that salon chemical smell from the top notes of Vintage Tabarome (no offense to the fans) and the hair/nail supply scent from Acier Aluminium (plus fruity bubble gum!). Then there's Royal Delight...never mind.
    RM

Maybe it's an aldehyde? Oakmoss is one of the main notes of Miss Dior is oakmoss and that has no hairspray scent at all, to me.
    Maybe if you told us which scents you are smelling it in, we could help more?
    I think Chanel #5 has a bit of a hairspray smell at first (that is why I said aldehydes) but it is sooo lovely and clean on drydown.

I have a feeling it could be a strong "white" musk note. Not because musk smells like hairspray, but because synthetic musk is often used to scent hairsprays.
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 15th April 2008 at 01:15 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    I have a feeling it could be a strong "white" musk note. Not because musk smells like hairspray, but because synthetic musk is often used to scent hairsprays.
    My same thought.

Bigsly, can you give us some examples of fragrances that have the mentioned note?

calone maybe or some musk+floral like velvione?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by lannansidhe View Post
    Maybe it's an aldehyde? Oakmoss is one of the main notes of Miss Dior is oakmoss and that has no hairspray scent at all, to me.
    Maybe if you told us which scents you are smelling it in, we could help more?
    I think Chanel #5 has a bit of a hairspray smell at first (that is why I said aldehydes) but it is sooo lovely and clean on drydown.
    Ah...the hairspray note. Yes, my note detects a quite realistic hairspray note in many fragrances with prominent aldehydes (such as the highly praised Chanel No. 5). In fact many Chanel fragrances I avoid, because of this very effect, including Cuir de Russie and a few of the Exclusifs.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th April 2008 at 12:48 AM.

Maybe its the ethanol.

Sounds like it's mostly aldehydes. I detected it to a lesser degree in Jovan Ginseng NRG and to a more pronounced degree in Monsieur Musk. The JGNRG obviously has a strong sandalwood note, but I was unsure if there was oakmoss in it. I'm still trying to identify the basic notes, so I was curious if there were some combinations that produced that hairspray like smell.
    --------------------------------------
    I was just reading the reviews of Halston's Z-14, and this seems to be more support for aldehydes:

"In a phone conversation with the late great Martin Chung of "Liquid Art" he said that Z-14 was not especially worthy; it was heavy with aldehydes."

And:

"This scent took a while to get used to. At first it smelt rancid and I couldn't stand the strong dry smell."
    Last edited by Bigsly; 15th April 2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost