Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Michael Storer's Upcoming New Fragrance.

I just recieved the last bottle of Michael Storer's Winter Star, it was only offered for several weeks prior to last Christmas as a marketing trial. Michael was so stunned by its success that he's seriously considering bringing it back. I have been collaborating with Michael on a new scent called "August Moon" that we thought would be fitting with the notes being similiar to Winter Star.

Winter Star Notes:

Maltol:
    Maltol is a naturally occurring organic compound that is used primarily as a flavor
    enhancer. It is found in the bark of larch tree, in pine needles, and in roasted malt (from
    which it gets its name).

Coumarin:
    Coumarin is a chemical compound (benzopyrone); found in many plants, notably
    in high concentration in the tonka bean, woodruff, mullein, and bison grass. It has a
    sweet scent, readily recognised as the scent of newly-mown hay, and has been used in
    perfumes since 1882.

Cedar, Amber, and Maple Furanone.

There aren't any flower oils in it other than a bit of ylang ylang.
    Some spice oils like nutmeg and cloves are also included.

Expected release date may be as early as the start of Fall. I'll keep everyone updated.
    SB
    Last edited by silverbullet; 13th April 2008 at 08:40 PM.
    Top Favorites

Declaration D’Un Soir – Cartier
    Colonia Pura – Aqua di Parma
    Y Eau de Parfum – Yves Saint Laurent
    Absolu – Aqua du Gio
    Layton – Parfums de Marly
    L’Homme Ultime – Yves Saint Laurent
    Noir de Noir – Tom Ford
    Neroli Portofino – Tom Ford

Default Re: Michael Storer's Upcoming New Fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    I just recieved the last bottle of Michael Storer's Winter Star, it was discontinued last year. Michael and I have been collaborating on a new scent called "August Moon" with the notes being similiar to the Star.

Winter Star Notes:

Maltol:
    Maltol is a naturally occurring organic compound that is used primarily as a flavor
    enhancer. It is found in the bark of larch tree, in pine needles, and in roasted malt (from
    which it gets its name).

Coumarin:
    Coumarin is a chemical compound (benzopyrone); a toxin found in many plants, notably
    in high concentration in the tonka bean, woodruff, mullein, and bison grass. It has a
    sweet scent, readily recognised as the scent of newly-mown hay, and has been used in
    perfumes since 1882.

Cedar, Amber, and Maple Furanone.

There aren't any flower oils in it other than a bit of ylang ylang.
    Some spice oils like nutmeg and cloves are also included.

Expected release date may be as early as the start of Fall. I'll keep everyone updated.
    SB
    Thanks for the heads-up Jack, I appreciate it!

Catherine
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

I just saw "5 Nights for an August Moon" by Mario Bava. I now have to try this. 'Cept everyone dies in the movie

This is good news!

My wife and I consider Winter Star to be Michael's masterpiece.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Why would the notes in "Winter Star" be so adaptable to "AUGUST Moon"? Winter=August? From a northern hemisphere perfumer?

I too certainly look forward to the experience.
    --Chris
    Last edited by DustB; 13th April 2008 at 08:40 PM.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Why would the notes in "Winter Star" be so adaptable to "AUGUST Moon"? Winter=August? From a northern hemisphere perfumer?

I too certainly look forward to the experience.
    --Chris
    I believe the intention was to modify the original WS formula slightly to evoke a sense (pun intended) of August, September, and October = Fall.
    Last edited by silverbullet; 13th April 2008 at 09:01 PM.
    Top Favorites

Absolu – Aqua du Gio
    Noir de Noir – Tom Ford

All's fair in the fun of fragrances for sure, SilverBullet! I look forward to the stuff.
    Thanks,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I can't wait! I am a big fan of WS and MS frags in general. My daughters have been lobbying for some WS so this is great news indeed.
    Currently wearing: Bluebell by Penhaligon's

I keep hoping that this will be the Storer fragrance I like. The rest of them didn't work on my skin. In fact, on me they were scrubbers! Maybe this will be the one.

Huge fan of the unique Monk, especially in its EDP form, nothing else from Storer has moved me in a positive direction but I'm certain there will be one which does sometime. I haven't smelled the new(ish) fig one. Anyone have any opinions on that?
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 13th April 2008 at 11:04 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Sounds good, I'm looking forward to sampling it!

(thanks!)
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

But it's not even summer yet! Ask Michael Storer to come out with Summer Sun first, before August Moon and Winter Star!
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Huge fan of the unique Monk, especially in its EDP form, nothing else from Storer has moved me in a positive direction but I'm certain there will be one which does sometime. I haven't smelled the new(ish) fig one. Anyone have any opinions on that?
    Yes I have. I think it's horrible. On my skin it smells just like virgin coconut oil. But I must admit that 'most' fig fragrances do this.

I do like Monk EDP and Winter Star a lot tho, The latter I've had some problems with at first, until I learned that this is to be dabbed on, instead of sprayed. Now I'm seriously addicted to this stuff. Wrist sniff material of the first degree. I hope he doesn't change to much in the new formula...
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Basenotes Institution

So I have give Winter Star a wearing today for the first time (thanks silverbullet) and although I want to wear it again before I give it a proper review, I have a few thoughts about the fragrance:

- The top notes take a few minutes to settle down on my skin, they were simultaneously sweet, alcohol prominent (not boozy...alcohol - as in rubbing alcohol) and tart. I would recommend letting this one settle down before you stick your nose in the spot you sprayed it. IMO the top notes could be a little...sturdier.
    - The primary notes I'm getting are the courmarin, something honey-ish (maybe the maple note silverbullet mentioned above?) and a hazelnut liqueur note. However the sweet notes are not too thick - they every few minutes are offset by something tart...for lack of a better word. It reminds me of the smell of Sweet Tarts (the candy).
    - The drydown involves a much more spicy/sweet base, but somehow I can't shake the feeling I'm smelling basil. Reminds me of CdG 3, in a strange way.

I need more time with this scent, to wrap my head around it. Today's cool weather was quite perfect for testing it, but somehow I think this might be the very last cool day in Miami this season. If so, the WS sample will get put away until Winter '08.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th April 2008 at 06:03 PM.
    Currently wearing: Marrakech Intense by Aesop

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

- The drydown involves a much more spicy/sweet base, but somehow I can't shake the feeling I'm smelling basil. Reminds me of CdG 3, in a strange way.

Today's cool weather was quite perfect for testing it, but somehow I think this might be the very last cool day in Miami this season. If so, the WS sample will get put away until Winter '08.
    Interesting about the basil, I detected a strong prominent note of the clove that seemed very linear to me. Last cool day in Florida C'mon
    Top Favorites

Absolu – Aqua du Gio
    Noir de Noir – Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

I tried this last night, thanks to silverbullet, and I really like it. I could still smell it this morning before I showered. I think it might be a true Basenotes sleeper this year.
    Last edited by stuigi; 18th April 2008 at 10:49 PM.

The sillage must be quite incredible, as I have neither opened, nor tried, the sample I received (again, thanks SB), but the sample vial is sitting on my desk here, and the scent is readily detectable around me (SB must have leaked a bit on the vial prior to closing).

Noir Epices meets JHL? We'll see. I look forward to trying a full wearing this weekend.

Basenotes Plus

WInter Star is very potent juice. I suspect it is EDP strength.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Circa1905 View Post
    The sillage must be quite incredible, as I have neither opened, nor tried, the sample I received (again, thanks SB), but the sample vial is sitting on my desk here, and the scent is readily detectable around me (SB must have leaked a bit on the vial prior to closing).

Noir Epices meets JHL? We'll see. I look forward to trying a full wearing this weekend.
    I can smell it from the unopened vial also. Thanks Silverbullet.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    WInter Star is very potent juice. I suspect it is EDP strength.
    Yes, it is an Eau de Parfum.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Update: Grapevine has it that Winter Star is coming back in just a few weeks. Mr. Storer is about to start batching it in a few days, then it needs time to macerate, which is a fancy word for letting it stand for a few weeks to "brew."

He doesn't plan on altering the name or the composition.

News at 11.

Thanks for the great news, SB!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I saw the thread he wrote. Will have to try this.

I'm waiting for someone to tell him to use the "search" function next time.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos