Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Default How to use aftershave if you don't use it as aftershave?

    I've seen some gift sets that come with an EDT and aftershave, which I don't use. In general, if I apply more aftershave, will it function as something like the EDT version? I was thinking about applying the aftershave, waiting a few minutes, and applying it again on the same exact spot, in order to get it up to EDT strength.
    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to use aftershave if you don't use it as aftershave?

    Hi Bigsly,

    Unless talking with the men's shaving "elite" who may beg to differ, aftershaves have generally fallen from favour since aftershave balms came on to the market. Where once a man would splash his aftershave on after shaving (drying out his skin in the process), we've since come to recognise that moisturizing is far more beneficial.

    Aftershaves contain a lower ratio of perfume oil to EDTs, and I do not believe that re-applying a splash in the same spot will do a whole lot towards increasing its strength or longevity. Certainly if you were to douse yourself, it would be noticed - but would eventually disappear in typical cologne fashion. EDTs are favoured for their higher oil concentration.

    The splashes I own (which have been given to me as gifts) I tend to decant into a small atomizer and carry with me for a quick spritz during the day where perhaps excessive fragrance application may be inappropriate.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 14th April 2008 at 06:42 AM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: How to use aftershave if you don't use it as aftershave?

    I use some of my aftershaves on my bedsheet and pillows


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




  4. #4

    Default Re: How to use aftershave if you don't use it as aftershave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    ... I tend to decant into a small atomizer and carry with me for a quick spritz during the day where perhaps excessive fragrance application may be inappropriate.
    I do the same thing.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

  5. #5

    Default Re: How to use aftershave if you don't use it as aftershave?

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I do the same thing.
    ditto that...someone had gifted my deo's by "BOD" arghh..whcih is emptied into the basin..they make good atomisers though....

  6. #6
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010

    Default Re: How to use aftershave if you don't use it as aftershave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Hi Bigsly,

    Unless talking with the men's shaving "elite" who may beg to differ, aftershaves have generally fallen from favour since aftershave balms came on to the market. Where once a man would splash his aftershave on after shaving (drying out his skin in the process), we've since come to recognise that moisturizing is far more beneficial.

    Aftershaves contain a lower ratio of perfume oil to EDTs, and I do not believe that re-applying a splash in the same spot will do a whole lot towards increasing its strength or longevity. Certainly if you were to douse yourself, it would be noticed - but would eventually disappear in typical cologne fashion. EDTs are favoured for their higher oil concentration.

    The splashes I own (which have been given to me as gifts) I tend to decant into a small atomizer and carry with me for a quick spritz during the day where perhaps excessive fragrance application may be inappropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I do the same thing.
    I do also.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  7. #7

    Default Re: How to use aftershave if you don't use it as aftershave?

    & me 2.

    Seriously this post did not contribute to anything
    Get an atomiser.

  8. #8

    Default Re: How to use aftershave if you don't use it as aftershave?

    Well, it helped me! Am I nothing?

    LOL.

  9. #9
    Hoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    959
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: How to use aftershave if you don't use it as aftershave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I've seen some gift sets that come with an EDT and aftershave, which I don't use. In general, if I apply more aftershave, will it function as something like the EDT version? I was thinking about applying the aftershave, waiting a few minutes, and applying it again on the same exact spot, in order to get it up to EDT strength.
    Thanks.
    It would depend on the aftershave. There are some that have a long life and have good sillage (Aqua Velva, English Leather, Hai Karate, etc). Others don't. It also depends on composition of ther aftershave (citrus A/S is fleeting; a leather A/S is longer lasting).

    Generally, the A/S is not meant to be a long-lasting scent. The use of A/S comes down from less hygenic times - a splash of alcohol to the face (especially one that has nicks/cuts) helps kill off harmful bacteria on the skin (or from the water).

    Many of your better A/S and EdT gift sets, I would imagine, are produced to be used together. However, if the A/S doesn't last long on your skin, reapplying it won't make much difference. An application to clothing, though, might add some time to its life.
    Brent

    Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."


  10. #10

    Default Re: How to use aftershave if you don't use it as aftershave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    The splashes I own (which have been given to me as gifts) I tend to decant into a small atomizer and carry with me for a quick spritz during the day where perhaps excessive fragrance application may be inappropriate.
    I just wanted to ask this question:
    I've got an aftershave lotion bottle in my stash which I barely use. I've put a decant in an empty 2 ml sample spray after cleaning it. So now when I'm on the road and want some quick fragrance, I can use this.
    Are there more people doing this?
    And more important: Where can you spray this? Only on your face? Or also on your other body parts? Because of the high percentage of alcohol, doesnt it might dehydrate your skin?

  11. #11
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & B˙zios
    Posts
    79,076

    Default Re: How to use aftershave if you don't use it as aftershave?

    I don't do this but I don't see why not. It's better than tossing it in the trash.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •