Code of Conduct

Default About Eau D'Hermes... random thoughts

Eau D'Hermes came into my wardrobe in the last few weeks. I bought it without smelling because a) I was depressed and I tend to buy things to cheer myself up and b) it seemed to divide opinion so massively. Oh and I was feeling very ill at the time.

My God. What a fragrance. This is no shrinking violet. It's citrus, but not sweetly so. It just says "Yeah, I've got a sharp citrussy opening, but don't expect Dior Homme, you wimpy little wuss, this is acerbic lemons and if you don't like it, frankly you aren't man enough to wear this fragrance."

And then the cumin kicks in and says "Yeah, his isn't a CK experience fella, this is dirty, sweaty and post coital virgin boy. If you want Aqua di Gio go and find another virgin and get some experience before you wear this."

But of all the fragrances I have ever bought, this one reels me back in and says "wear me".

This is a fragrance for men who don't give a flying custard pie about what anyone else thinks. It smells of rudeness and of refinement at the same time.

This is in its own way, the most powerful fragrance I have ever owned. It's dangerous and for that reason I absolutely love it.

Joop it ain't.
    Last edited by HDS1963; 6th April 2008 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Grammar

Default Re: About Eau D'Hermes... random thoughts

Nice capture of the Eau d'Hermes spirit. I find it perfectly textured, like smooth, silky leather, yet with that raw, unhewn bodily odor, perfection from paradox. A very impressive perfume, indeed.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Nice capture of the Eau d'Hermes spirit. I find it perfectly textured, like smooth, silky leather, yet with that raw, unhewn bodily odor, perfection from paradox. A very impressive perfume, indeed.

You are so right.

The thing I love about it is that it's not "pretty". It's a raw masculine fragrance. Anyone who dismisses this on first wearing has missed the point completely.

There are frags out there which beat their chests and say "Hey Baby" such as Givenchy Gentleman or Lagerfeld Classic, but Eau D'Hermes gives all of that plus a little bit of "Hey listen sweetheart, I don't just smell good, I do the rest fantastically well too, but I suspect you already know that."

It is one of the most articulately sexy male frags I have ever worn. It's frankly in a league of its own.

I only want to meet women who "get" Eau D'Hermes. I suspect they might be more fun than the run of the mill.

Edmond Roudnitska's genius was in knowing that, in order for a fragrance to have any depth, it needs to be a little bit off, a little bit "dirty".
    His use of the un-clean cumin notes in EdH and Madame Rochas is so brilliantly modulated with the purity of the other "clean" notes, that something very organic is achieved. His pairing of contradictory indolic notes with clean, citrus freshness in Eau Sauvage took this idea to another, even more abstract level.
    Roudnitska understood that we need to replace some of the funk that we wash away on a daily basis in order to celebrate the "inner beast".
    To quote the new b-52's CD, he knew all about the, "deviant ingredient".
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 6th April 2008 at 05:50 AM.

Ruggles, that is such an intelligent response, thank-you. You make a similar point to one I made in a previous thread somewhere about pheremones v perfume. We have indeed washed away most of our latent sexuality and it's only perfumers like Roundnitska that have both the intelligence and indeed bravery to recognise our own atavistic scent motivators and include them in scents that should deserve a special mention.

Woof Woof, to naughty scents, that's what I say....

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

EdH is probably the best and most edgy perfume from the master. It has inspired many (Cartier Declaration etc.) and many have tried to best it (uh, Declaration again..) but the original is still unsurpassed. Too bad its a little hard to find.
    -

I took a chance on Eau d'Hermès a month ago, intrigued by the widely polarized opinions expressed in reviews. Its survival from 1951 as the first fragrance of this house convinced me, and I bought it blind. (wtf) I'm glad did! This is a masterpiece that stands alone. It's distinctive and won't be mistaken for anything else. Very well balanced and put together. I generally need to wear a scent many times to really learn it, and E d'H may take a while. It's like a wilful friend that you can't help loving.
    BOIEK::LAPISHCHIN
    Tsar::0f::The::Samovar
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Yatagan
    Eau d'Hermès and Habit Rouge
    Eau de Rochas Homme
    Carven Vetiver
    Gucci Envy and his bad brother Le Mâle
    English Leather (Dana) and Agua Lavanda (Puig)

HDS, I totally love Eau d'Hermes and bought a big bottle of it. I don't wear it that often but I love it for the shock value (though really, now that I've gotten to know it, it's not THAT shocking, and dries down to a beautifully literal spice interpretation on me), though I've always said that perhaps it might be wise to introduce this one to one's lover first hahaha... It's just dirty enough to deserve the need for one to say, "um, it's SUPPOSED to smell like that right there" I also see it as a precursor to Bigarade Concentree.

Excellent write-ups guys.. looks like this one is right up my alley, just need to find a place here that carries this

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Eau D'Hermes came into my wardrobe in the last few weeks. I bought it without smelling because a) I was depressed and I tend to buy things to cheer myself up and b) it seemed to divide opinion so massively. Oh and I was feeling very ill at the time.

My God. What a fragrance. This is no shrinking violet. It's citrus, but not sweetly so. It just says "Yeah, I've got a sharp citrussy opening, but don't expect Dior Homme, you wimpy little wuss, this acerbic lemons and if you don't like it, frankly you aren't man enough to wear this fragrance."

And then the cumin kicks in and says "Yeah, his isn't a CK experience fella, this is dirty, sweaty and post coital virgin boy. If you want Aqua di Gio go and find another virgin and get some experience before you wear this."

But of all the fragrances I have ever bought, this one reels me back in and says "wear me".

This is a fragrance for men who don't give a flying custard pie about what anyone else thinks. It smells of rudeness and of refinement at the same time.

This is in its own way, the most powerful fragrance I have ever owned. It's dangerous and for that reason I absolutely love it.

Joop it ain't.

Lmao! Great review. I wanna go sniff it now. Congrats on a good blind buy.

Yes, this is great frag, absolutely opposite of most powerhouse frags of that time.

Dependent

there's some here
    http://www.perfumeshop.com/brands-h-...by-hermes.html
    a bit large at 6.5 oz

I'm sure this was originally marketed for women, in fact it had a woman's symbol in the old Basenotes directory. It took me several wearings to get the skankiness through my head.
    When I read that it was supposed to be a deep breath in the best Hermes bag made, I got it. And the bag has all her goodies in it. This bottle when I take it out I don't want a normal application. I want to spray it all over me.

Thank you.

Because of this thread, I have a newfound appreciation for Eau d'Hermes.

I bought it late last year when I was falling in love with heavier leather fragrances. I kind of dismissed it and put it towards the rear of my collection.

I hauled it out and spritzed some on my arm today. I have been wondering if the change in season would cause me to put my leathers away until fall. I know now that I will have at least one leather that is light enough to wear this summer! I have to retry Cuiron next!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I have a local cologne seller in my city that has 2 new bottles of this. I ended up popping one upon for a sample spritz. Both girls that were with me said they though it smelled horrible. After about an hour of wearing it the dry down was much better than when I first sprayed it. Not sure what I think about it yet. Is it hard to find new in the package though?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by scottdurand View Post
    Is it hard to find new in the package though?
    I don't think it's hard at all - many online retailers sell it, and it's good current stock too.

Great scent - I agree with most of the above comments. A very generous Basenoter just gave me a healthy decant of this and I sprayed some on before I went to bed last night. It smells so wonderful. Perhaps the best use of cumin in a fragrance, even better than one of my favorites, Rose 31.

Blog Entries

just bought a 3.3oz bottle today...sealed and brand new for $45. they had tons of em in stock.

it's my first time buying it...and i bought it BLIND...i've never smelled it before. I have been a user of Eau De Verte for the past year, so i thought i couldn't go wrong.

Upon first smelling, i thought it smelled like poop. LOL....now after it's settled on the skin, the subtle spiciness is starting to shine though and it's smelling quite grandeous. very nice indeed.

Default Rtye: About Eau D'Hermes... random thoughts

Someone somewhere has commented that Eau d'Hermès smells like Audrey Hepburn's handbag stuffed with Robert Mitchum's jockstrap. (Oh, my.)
    Last edited by Lapishchin; 10th April 2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: typo
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Yatagan
    Eau de Rochas Homme
    Carven Vetiver

Basenotes Institution

OK, so I gave Eau d'Hermes a second full wearing (thanks to my trusty enabler named Brent) and this is just an incredible fragrance. The way that candied lemon top note crashes into the cumin so perfectly...it's fantastic. The only problem was that when I arrived to my office, I had to clean up and straighten up my office (unexpectedly) and I worked up a nice little sweat (in today's 80 degree weather in Miami) so I could really smell the sillage of EdH pouring off of me. Kinda embarassing...

Still, this stuff is excellent.

So, one question - does EdH have civet in it?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 12th April 2008 at 12:14 AM.

I've never heard of civet in E d'H. The pyramid listed on ozmoz.com doesn't even mention the cumin, they say caraway. Pyramids given by different people for some perfumes vary a lot, I think they're whoever's best guess because the perfume houses never reveal the full info.
    --------------------------------------
    By the way, Mike did you get any comments at the office on the Eau d'Hermès after working up a sweat?...Listen, I was wearing Yatagan on what turned out to be a hot day and a young woman of my acquaintance pursed her lips and said Are you wearing patchouli? I had to think and when I remembered there is patch in the Yatagan gave the vague reply Not Specifically. Later in the car she said Don't wear that cologne again. Well I was not going to give in to this. It is better to avoid some things in hot weather, or go very easy, and I discovered you can wear it by spraying lower down on your body, behind your knees or wherever. Then you will have that aura about you, and then wear something compatible but innocuous, like vetiver up on your arms or neck which will project more. Then you will have the best of both worlds, ha-ha!
    Last edited by Lapishchin; 12th April 2008 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Yatagan
    Eau de Rochas Homme
    Carven Vetiver

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Lapishchin View Post
    By the way, Mike did you get any comments at the office on the Eau d'Hermès after working up a sweat?
    No comments, good or bad. Although the photographer (who is a stranger) probably wondered why I 'stunk'.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    OK, so I gave Eau d'Hermes a second full wearing (thanks to my trusty enabler named Brent) and this is just an incredible fragrance. The way that candied lemon top note crashes into the cumin so perfectly...it's fantastic. The only problem was that when I arrived to my office, I had to clean up and straighten up my office (unexpectedly) and I worked up a nice little sweat (in today's 80 degree weather in Miami) so I could really smell the sillage of EdH pouring off of me. Kinda embarassing...

Still, this stuff is excellent.

So, one question - does EdH have civet in it?
    I just read Turin's review of it and he states it has civet in it. FWIW, I think so too. I'd say that's an excellent call Mike!

Default Re: Rtye: About Eau D'Hermes... random thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Lapishchin View Post
    Someone somewhere has commented that Eau d'Hermès smells like Audrey Hepburn's handbag stuffed with Robert Mitchum's jockstrap. (Oh, my.)

Actually, the review in the directory mentioned another great beauty, Grace Kelly, rather than Audrey Hepburn, but it is a killer comment nevertheless.
    Last edited by levente; 13th April 2008 at 05:15 AM.

Oh, oh, thank you! The image just soars! The thought of the hollywood queen become a real Princesse, and carrying that thing around like that...is it known whether or not this was an actual occurrence?

Cheers,

Boiek

When I heard that reference, the perfume snapped together in my mind and made sense. Amazing stuff, really.

I heard from somewhere that it was supposed to smell like the inside of a well used Hermes handbag .... well now we know how it was used!!
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Default Re: Rtye: About Eau D'Hermes... random thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by levente View Post
    Actually, the review in the directory mentioned another great beauty, Grace Kelly, rather than Audrey Hepburn, but it is a killer comment nevertheless.
    Grace Kelly was carrying around Robert Mitchum's soiled athletic supporter, I had no idea they dated!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    I just read Turin's review of it and he states it has civet in it. FWIW, I think so too. I'd say that's an excellent call Mike!
    I know - when I stumbled upon the review in my book Friday night, my eyes zeroed in on the civet in the review.

Glad to see my nose detection skills are getting sharper.

Sur la Plage

I finally got a chance to test Eau d'Hermes at an Hermes store this weekend. Wow! It was everything I hoped it would be, and much, much more - especially the animalistic notes.

Friends that were with me said "Hmmmm, it smells different". That pretty much equates to "you really do like some strange smelling fragrances". I knew right then that I need to add this "rich and dirty" classic fragrance to my wardrobe.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 14th April 2008 at 11:33 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

i've been wearing this on and off for about a week or so....i do think it's a good scent, although i'm not so sure if it lives up to all the hype it gets on here. I still think the Eau De Verte is a better scent, although it doesn't have nearly as good longetivity.....

I'm wearing Eau d'Hermes for the fist time today and I've gotten such a kick out of it. Upon application from a splash bottle this morning I found myself laughing out loud at the incredibly realistic BO note that basenoters had warned of. It was immediate, very real, and strong to say the least on my skin. That said, as I've also learned through basenotes, good things truly come to those who wait. Once that note dissipates, which to my relief was after just a few minutes, I'm left with a very unique, rich perfume that feels very old world. It may have been the splash rather than spray application, it may just be my chemisty, but that stink was the real deal and I'd never experienced anything like it before. Once it passed, pure class. I'm learning a lot here and thank everyone for educating me to be patient with this, and other fine perfumes, because the rewards are significant if you give them the time to express themselves fully. Take care.