Code of Conduct

Default Tried D&G The One for Men today!

I needed some fresh air today during lunchtime and saw The One for Men on the shelf. I'm not very good at dissecting a fragrance into the individual notes, but here goes!

The opening was very similar to Michael Kors - Michael for Men, but not as sweet. I also didn't detect any tobacco. The sweetness lessens as time goes by. Good longevity and sillage. The sample says "oriental spicy", but I don't get the spices (yet) To me it's more of a fruity oriental. It's not a bad fragrance, but it doesn't come anywhere close to By Man, which is their best IMHO.

Anyone else tried this one recently?

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Tried D&G The One for Men today!

When I was at Saks in Beverly Hills last weekend, my husband doused himself with it. Based upon smelling him for a couple of hours post-application, I think your assesment sounds quite right. However, I did smell spice, not tons of it, but yes spice was present. It is fruity and I kept thinking years ago, this would have been released as a womens fragrance.

The problem (as with many D&G scents) is the drydown was pretty boring (musk, perhaps sandalwood, etc.) and uneventful. Having said that I think it should do really well with most teens and young men.

Sur la Plage

I passed by a D&G store this past weekend, so I popped in to see if they had it - and they did. Let's just say, it's not The One for me - probably not even The One Thousand and One. I found it to be rather light and fruity - a very bland and boring fragrance . There was nothing unique or appealing to me that made me even consider purchasing it - even if it were at a discounted price.

I have been completely underwhelmed by D&G's recent men's releases (The One FM and Light Blue PH). I agree with By Man being their best men's fragrance. They always discontinue the good ones......
    Last edited by petruccijc; 14th April 2008 at 09:04 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

By man was great and a legend for the house. I am not ashamed to say that I own and enjoy light blue. It may not be the spiciest fragrance with 100000 phases but it smells good and fresh and serves a work load when needed for workouts and days that I don't want to be all stuffy. Need every fragrance be niche and complicated?

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I am not ashamed to say that I own and enjoy light blue. It may not be the spiciest fragrance with 100000 phases but it smells good and fresh and serves a work load when needed for workouts and days that I don't want to be all stuffy. Need every fragrance be niche and complicated?
    No, they certainly don't. Most of my wardrobe is non-niche. I own and enjoy many designer fragrances. A lot of them get negative reviews on this board - but hey, I like them and that's what matters to me.

Light Blue PH just didn't do anything for me (neither did The One FM). Light Blue PH reminded me of Perrier with a twist - lightly lemon scented water. Certainly not a horrible fragrance, just innocuous - and I could not justify spending money on it. But I know a lot of people who own and love it - including close family members. I personally own and prefer D&G Light Blue (the women's version).

To each his own......
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I tried this last week and was very disappointed - particularly as my wife wears the female version and I always notice when she wears it as it is a fantastic perfume.

I found the male version light to the point of invisibility. The sales girl had to spray the tester strip with a massive bucketload before I could even smell it.

What a contrast to the last scent I'd smelled on the sales floor which was Acqua di Parma's Intensa which was utterly fantastic.

Both scents were light, bright and summery fragrances, the difference was that Acqua di Parma's oozed class and excellent blending. D&G's The One, didn't.

The Saks in downtown Chicago was REALLY eager to push this one. My exchange went exactly like this last week:

Me: Do you have a tester for Pure Coffee?

SA #1: Umm...let me see. [doesn't find it] Let me ask one of the others. [speaks to SA #2, locates the bottle; SA #2 takes over completely]

SA #2: Here it is! But before you try it [stashing the bottle where I can't reach it] you simply MUST try this new one. It's called THE ONE [exaggerated emphasis by SA] by Dolce & Gabanna. It. Is. HEAVENLY.

Me: Um, OK. I guess I can sample it on a card, if you have one.

[A card magically materializes out of thin air. SA sprays the card enthusiastically and liberally, waves it in the air, and hands it to me. I barely even get the card halfway to my nose when SA #2 breaks in.]

SA #2: Isn't that WONDERFUL? It's the BEST thing I've smelled in YEARS! Here, here, smell it! [pushes card to my nose]

Me: [backing away slightly] Hmm. It reminds me a lot of Obsession for Men right off.

[SA #2 looks crestfallen and then gives me a look as if I dropped a turd on the floor.]

SA #2: It doesn't smell ANYthing like Obsession! It's got this and that and some other thing in it. [I don't remember the list of notes she rattled off.]

Me: Well, it's not bad, and it might be good for fall or winter, but --

SA #2: And look! [gesturing to counter display like a model on "The Price is Right"] Matthew's their model. [Wink wink]

Me: Oh. Yeah. Wow.

SA #2: So, what do you think? We have it in stock, you could take it home today!

Me: Well, I never buy anything like this on impulse, so --

[SA turns off her 1000-watt face and deflates like a balloon. She dismissively sprays a card with Pure Coffee and hands it to me.]

SA #2: Here.

Me: Hmm. This is...sort of nice. [The Pure Coffee is SO strong I can't really deal with it right off.]

SA #2: Mmm yes, but it isn't...THE ONE.

[I fight the impulse to run and instead walk briskly out of the store.]
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilSF View Post
    Me: Hmm. This is...sort of nice. [The Pure Coffee is SO strong I can't really deal with it right off.]

SA #2: Mmm yes, but it isn't...THE ONE.

LOL

Finally this scent was released on the island of Fyn today... so I sampled it, and it wasnt dreadful.
    In fact it reminded me of Rochas Man meets Vera Wang Man.

But certainly not impressive enough to result in a purchase. HELL NO... my money is earmarked for 2 Montales and a Malle!

I still have to try this one..... Gosh it sounds like original is such a hard act to follow for DG.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I still have to try this one..... Gosh it sounds like original is such a hard act to follow for DG.
    Hey, Scentimus is quoting Warrant in his sig! Haha. Nice bit of advertising for your avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilSF View Post

SA #2: So, what do you think? We have it in stock, you could take it home today!

Me: Well, I never buy anything like this on impulse, so --

I finally found out what LOL means exactly - very appropriate! Enjoyed reading!

boring. very mainstream scent
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

A pleasant mandarin - dry wood accord, reminiscent of Baldessarini and Tom Ford From Men, but significantly inferior.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime