Code of Conduct

Default Zino Davidoff - I can barely smell it!

Hey!

First post here I think, so I guess I'll write something about me. My actual question is in the last two paragraphs.

After years of stuff like L'eau D'issey and Aqua di Gio, I finally decided that more classic scents are better suited for me. My father used Azzaro when I was a kid in the early 80s (the stuff had to be very popular back then) and I always "borrowed" his Azzaro after shave as a teenager. For me, it's a bit too bold for everyday use, but I still love the smell and a small bottle of Azzaro will always be around me.

With the help of this great site and hours in local perfumeries, I discovered the wonderful Davidoff Zino, and in rotation with Egoiste, it's the stuff I use mostly.

Last week, I bought a set of Zino EdT (75ml) and Deo for a pretty good price at a big German department store. They have a big and well equipped perfume section, so I don't think it's a fake. The problem is, I can barely smell it over the day. It seems to me that the scent evaporates completely in an hour or even faster. It doesn't matter where I spray it (clothes, chest, neck, wrist...).

I asked other people around me if they could still smell it - they only could when they came really close. I used up to four sprays, with my last Zino bottle, two sprays were enough to still smell it in the evening. Did they change the composition? Or am I just too accustomed to this smell? I seem to get more longevity from my old Zino after shave.

Thanks,
    Thorsten

p.s. I heard Guerlain Heritage is very similar to Zino - would I get more longevity out of it? I wasn't able to find it in the local stores. And it's pretty expensive compared to Zino over here.

Default Re: Zino Davidoff - I can barely smell it!

I think you might be experiencing a case of olfactory fatigue. I've owned Zino in the past and generally have gotten at least 6-8 hours out of it. Heritage is similar, but I prefer Zino. Most on this board probably prefer Heritage. In my experience, Heritage lasts a bit longer on me as well...

Quote Originally Posted by tungsten View Post
    Hey!

First post here I think, so I guess I'll write something about me. My actual question is in the last two paragraphs.

After years of stuff like L'eau D'issey and Aqua di Gio, I finally decided that more classic scents are better suited for me. My father used Azzaro when I was a kid in the early 80s (the stuff had to be very popular back then) and I always "borrowed" his Azzaro after shave as a teenager. For me, it's a bit too bold for everyday use, but I still love the smell and a small bottle of Azzaro will always be around me.

With the help of this great site and hours in local perfumeries, I discovered the wonderful Davidoff Zino, and in rotation with Egoiste, it's the stuff I use mostly.

Last week, I bought a set of Zino EdT (75ml) and Deo for a pretty good price at a big German department store. They have a big and well equipped perfume section, so I don't think it's a fake. The problem is, I can barely smell it over the day. It seems to me that the scent evaporates completely in an hour or even faster. It doesn't matter where I spray it (clothes, chest, neck, wrist...).

I asked other people around me if they could still smell it - they only could when they came really close. I used up to four sprays, with my last Zino bottle, two sprays were enough to still smell it in the evening. Did they change the composition? Or am I just too accustomed to this smell? I seem to get more longevity from my old Zino after shave.

Thanks,
    Thorsten

p.s. I heard Guerlain Heritage is very similar to Zino - would I get more longevity out of it? I wasn't able to find it in the local stores. And it's pretty expensive compared to Zino over here.

Welcome to Basenotes!
    I'm surprised at your problem but can't think of what's wrong. Zino is one of the most potent juices around. It must be olfactory fatigue unless it's a fake. Here's what happened to me: Recently, I discussed receiving what I believed to be a fake from an e-tailer. What does your bottle look like? Is the writing the classic Davidoff stylized font (like a signature) or is the Davidoff part printed in block letters? I received one with block letter printing (had never seen one like that) and I can tell you the scent was off. Other than the font and the juice, the rest looked fine (info etched on the bottom of the bottle, serial numbers, etc. all OK!). I returned it. Surprisingly, I saw a picture of the same type on a European site later! I'm not sure if it's being manufactured differently for Europe or not. My replacement purchase looks genuine (old style) and smells right too. But one thing I can tell you is the quality is just not there (not in the glass, not in the pump, nor the packaging). Perhaps Davidoff is going cheap too.
    The case of my "fake" remains a mystery to me too but it sounds like your store is a good place.
    I wish there was an easy way of checking with Davidoff themselves just to make sure.
    RM

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I think you might be experiencing a case of olfactory fatigue. I've owned Zino in the past and generally have gotten at least 6-8 hours out of it. Heritage is similar, but I prefer Zino. Most on this board probably prefer Heritage. In my experience, Heritage lasts a bit longer on me as well...
    Olfactory fatigue? Damn. I'll use another scent for a few days, maybe my ability to smell Zino will return. Is there anything else I can do about it? I only found one thread on that matter with the search, and the only possible solution mentioned there was not to spray near the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes!
    I'm surprised at your problem but can't think of what's wrong. Zino is one of the most potent juices around. It must be olfactory fatigue unless it's a fake. Here's what happened to me: Recently, I discussed receiving what I believed to be a fake from an e-tailer. What does your bottle look like? Is the writing the classic Davidoff stylized font (like a signature) or is the Davidoff part printed in block letters? I received one with block letter printing (had never seen one like that) and I can tell you the scent was off. Other than the font and the juice, the rest looked fine (info etched on the bottom of the bottle, serial numbers, etc. all OK!). I returned it. Surprisingly, I saw a picture of the same type on a European site later! I'm not sure if it's being manufactured differently for Europe or not. My replacement purchase looks genuine (old style) and smells right too. But one thing I can tell you is the quality is just not there (not in the glass, not in the pump, nor the packaging). Perhaps Davidoff is going cheap too.
    The case of my "fake" remains a mystery to me too but it sounds like your store is a good place.
    I wish there was an easy way of checking with Davidoff themselves just to make sure.
    RM
    My bottle had Davidoff in a stylized front, etchings are there ("made in Paris" I think). Didn't look like fake at all. The after shave I bought a year ago has block letters, but the smell is pretty strong. The packaging (it was an "essential set" with the deo in a cardboard box) didn't look old either.

So, it seems like either I am olfactory fatigued or the newest Zino is diluted.

I think it's just olfactory fatigue - I used to wear zino almost every day, and I'd lose sight of it after an hour or so, but other people would notice it. It's really a great one! Unfortunately after losing the scent, later on when I do catch it, it smells like chemicals and I want to wash it off. Same thing with Xeryus Rouge, my other non-niche favourite.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Hey Caesar,

yeah, I'm pretty sure now it's olfactory fatigue - this morning, after a day without it, the scent felt much stronger the first hour, and when I checked ("tested") Zino in the perfumery, the scent was strong in the beginning but faded pretty fast. I guess if I want to smell it myself, I can't use it everyday.

Thanks guys, I already thought I bought a fake.
    Thorsten

I agree with Renaissance_Man, Zino is mighty potent... it's probably clogging up your olfactory senses causing them to mute out the scent. You can't smell it on yourself anymore but everybody else probably does.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather