Code of Conduct

Post Need a replacement - difficult question!

I need some help guys - I wouldn't start a thread like this thread if I didn't!

Lately, Mugler Cologne haven't been as it used to be, or the experience haven't, to be more precise. Juice have not changed, i have. Nowadays it smells synthetic and sour to my nose. All four bottles I have tried. No fragrance in my wardrobe serves the purpose MC did back in the days - it was clean, pleasant, natural (sigh), casual and somehow not tiring. It wasn't bad in the gym, yet - here is an important point - it still wasn't actually sporty in a banal way.

As the title suggests, this is not that easy. I don't want any of the designer fragrances - Allure Homme Sport Cologne was very nice, but in the end not what I'm looking for. I am very familiar with Gendarme and Original Vetiver. I really don't want Gendarme - it's synthetic, fake, white and clean. It has no real substance; even smell of good quality soap has some nostalgia, smell of cleaning detergent or fabric softener does not. It is just as real as a smile on Miss America's face. Original Vetiver then again is a great scent, but despite being similar to MC, it's drydown is fuller and more sophisticated. For me, it's not a replacement. I don't want white musk drydown, it must smell absolutely natural. It can be green or more citrusy - although I don't want sweet citrus. Basenotes better be earthy than soft and powdery. Longevity is not important, let alone sillage. Traditional colognes often has this sophistication that doesn't quite fit my purposes.

Thanks for reading - I count on your help!
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 15th April 2008 at 06:24 PM.

Default Re: Difficult question!

My problem with MC has always been the drydown too. If I had to, I'd choose OV between the two.
    However, in reality, my choice of "cologne" type scents (although they're not that in the traditional sense) are YSL Pour Homme (origianl or concentrated) and Armani Eau Pour Homme.
    YSL is simple, a little peppery/incensy, and has a "dusty" vetiver drydown and Armani is very classy and understated with just enough complexity. Both give you enough substance and longevity as opposed to traditional colognes and most important for me, no "barbershop" notes (for me at least).
    Otherwise, I'd go with a vetiver by Roger & Gallet, L'Aromarine, or CdG (cologne series).
    RM

Default Re: Need a replacement - difficult question!

I don't think it's that difficult, though you may disagree
    1st choice: Creed Selection Verte
    2nd choice: CdG Vettiveru
    3rd choice: Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver hombre
    4th choice: any good Eau de Cologne - particularly Farina Gegenüber and Guerlain Eau Impériale for zesty freshness, R&G Extra Vieille for more neroli (much cheaper as well)
    5th choice: Trumper Extract of West Indian Limes - short but fabulous

That's what I can think of offhand, though there are quite a few more.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I thought of Selection Verte too.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Basenotes Institution

Concentree Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes will work nicely.

I will add Trumper's GFT. A beautiful, natural smelling citrus with a some spice, a little musk and some wood in the base. It remains "natural" and lasts very long. It takes freshness and traditional eau de cologne to a different level.
    Nothing like Mugler's Cologne but I think it'll fit your requirements. Not sweet, not green, very, very natural smelling citrus made from quality ingredients. Nothing soft and powdery in the base.
    The longevity and some sillage will be added benefits for you.

Eric

Sur la Plage

I would suggest trying Iceberg Twice Homme.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I 2nd Vettiveru by CDG, and will add Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company, Eau Sauvage or Monsieur de Givenchy, and Mandragore by Annick Goutal for something a bit different.

Smile Re: Need a replacement - difficult question!

Thanks guys!

It sure is difficult for me; otherwise I would have not asked! Selection Verte for example doesn't fit to my mental image - most likely it's due to my text not corresponding with my idea of what I am searching for, so my bad. Any good eau de cologne is an answer I would have figured out myself if it would have satisfied me. I often associate fine eau de cologne with sophistication and tradition. I have tons of classy fresh scents, I want something else... something I can't quite describe. When I said longevity is not an issue, I didn't remember Trumper's Limes existed . Sorry mate for being critical, I just want to point out that my question (or maybe just my thought behind it) is not quite that obvious.

CdG Vettiveru, now that's a good suggestion. Perfect one, in fact!

There is new Gaultier which people say is similar to Mugler Cologne. There is also Lancome Miracle Aquatonic.

And I would suggest CK Truth.

Hey,

Have you tried Etro`s Palais Jamais?? I thinks it`s an amazing scent. And you know what, I haven`t smelled anything that spells Finland more like this one. Really, it is the summer in Finland, bottled.

To me it is extremely natural smelling, fresh, but it also has tons of character to it. Very unique stuff. Green, a bit bitter and smoky, subtle yet complex, both soothing and vitalizing only depending on your need and mood. It`s quite strange indeed. There`s something that is very remiscent to the smell of fresh, oily and waxy birch leaves.

I have seen two very different kind of pyramids for this one. The official goes like this :

Top: Bergamot, Tangerine, Petitgrain, Jasmin
    Middle : Birch, Sage, Musk
    Base : Vetiver, Oakmoss

However, I have also seen a different kind of pyramid for this, and to me it makes even more sense. This one is available right here : http://parfyym.pri.ee/ (it`s Estonian)

Top: Tuberose, Jasmin, Ylang-Ylang, Mimosa, Violet, Mandarin
    Middle: Sandalwood, Vetiver, Musk
    Base: Leather, Tobacco, Oakmoss, Vetiver, Vanilla, Civet

Palais Jamais is kind of controversial scent, it probably needs some time to be understood, and it`s nothing like Mugler Cologne. Still, I thought this was quite an appropriate suggestion.
    It was a blind buy for me in the past, and at first it was a disapointment. To be honest, I thought it was pretty lame.
    But I gave it one chance after another, and eventually it stole my heart completely. Now in my books it is a 5 star fragrance all the way. Very recommended, and Perfume Emporium has it in quite good discount price.

What about
    l'Eau par Kenzo
    Givenchy Vetiver
    Concentrée d'orange verte?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    ...I really don't want Gendarme - it's synthetic, fake, white and clean. It has no real substance; even smell of good quality...
    There's a myth.

Gendarme's success is based on the consistent use of above avergage raw materials. It smells great (smell it others to get a better idea) and the high quality blending is precisely what belies its substance. After wearing it for awhile, I find it far more satisfying and susbtantial than some of the others mentioned. I prefer Gendarme V, as the civet gives it a little more complexity and makes it more interesting in the long run.

Here`s my suggestion:
    - Guerlain Vetiver
    - Lancome Miracle L`Aquatonic
    - Gaultier Monsieur Eau Du Matin
    My current Fall-Winter rotation: Baldessarini EdC - Canali Men - Dior Homme Sport - Gucci PH I - Guerlain Homme - Issey Miyake L`Eau D`Issey PH Intense - Lalique Encre Noir - Loewe Solo - Terre d`Hermes - YSL Rive Gauche PH

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    Thanks guys!

It sure is difficult for me; otherwise I would have not asked! Selection Verte for example doesn't fit to my mental image - most likely it's due to my text not corresponding with my idea of what I am searching for, so my bad. Any good eau de cologne is an answer I would have figured out myself if it would have satisfied me. I often associate fine eau de cologne with sophistication and tradition. I have tons of classy fresh scents, I want something else... something I can't quite describe. When I said longevity is not an issue, I didn't remember Trumper's Limes existed . Sorry mate for being critical, I just want to point out that my question (or maybe just my thought behind it) is not quite that obvious.

CdG Vettiveru, now that's a good suggestion. Perfect one, in fact!
    1 out of 5 ain't bad

Here are some more possibilities:
    Acqua di Portofino EdT (uomo)
    Clear citrus/green, no powder, but not EdC-style. Very leisurely, refreshing and natural-smelling

de Nicolai Balle de Match: Queen of grapefruits, otherwise like above

Sisley Eau de Campagne: grassy green, tomato leaf. Whether it smells natural is a matter of debate. The illusion works for me.

Fragonard Eau de Hongrie: "authentic, timeless and elegantly sober" (scenteur7).

Laura Tonnato Albi: although there's a certain sweetness about this it has nothing to do with what passes these days as sweetness in designer frags. Quite unique.

If Selection Verte isn't the right thing this will be neither, but I'll still mention Fath Green Water, because it's so good
    Last edited by the_good_life; 16th April 2008 at 11:49 AM. Reason: added
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I third the suggestions of Lancome Miracle L'Aquatonic!

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye