Code of Conduct

Default Cool Water - Much Cooler Than I Remembered...

Well what an eye opener today has proved to be...

But first, a story.

When Cool Water first came out, it kind of passed me by for reasons I can't really get my head around.

Then as time passed and it wasn't so fashionable anymore I kind of forgot about it.

Until today.

I've had a few up and downs fragrance-wise today for reasons it would take too long to go into. So I wandered into a High St drug store and there, looking rather neglected and lonely was a bottle of Cool Water. Oh what the hell I thought, and sprayed a good spritz onto the back of my right hand. Bloody hell! It smelled fantastic on my skin and now, sitting here nearly eight hours later, it STILL smells great with the sillage still comfortably projecting several inches off my skin,

I know it's supposed to be a poor man's GIT. but I'm impressed, really impressed... why didn't I buy this years ago?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cool Water - Much Cooler Than I Remembered...

ugh. pass. i can't stand Cool Water. Every 3rd guy is wearing it here on the subway. It's so.....common.

Cool Water is excellent on the right person. I am envious of former co-workers and friends from whom this scent would just radiate.

I had a co-worker at a hospital who was about 50 and he wore this and it smelled wonderful on him. I bought it and alas, it just dies on my skin and smells kind of flat.

My father-in-law also wears it extremely well.

It must take the right skin chemistry to rock this properly. The two men I speak of were both over 50, and while your average white-guys (like me), they have swarthy, perpetually tanned skin.

I'm not really pale, but I'm not really swarthy, either. I really wish I could wear Cool Water and Allure. But they don't suit my skin.

Fortunately, I always have Terre d'Hermes and Creed GIT which my skin suits perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    ugh. pass. i can't stand Cool Water. Every 3rd guy is wearing it here on the subway. It's so.....common.
    I haven't noticed this in London... if I did, maybe I'd be of the same opinion!

I can't say I like Cool Water. Yet, I know how I bypass scents that seem too "popular" or too "massmarket" until after a while they suddenly click with me. Also taste does change.

"Yet, I know how I bypass scents that seem too "popular" or too "massmarket" until after a while they suddenly click with me."

I think that's what's happened in my case here. It's like I look at the endless Calvin Klein's and Armanis on the shelves and my heart sinks. All I see is an ocean of citrus, "zesty" openings and mediocre drydowns and I move on.

I'm probably missing out on some nice frags, but I suspect not that many...

You know you can get Green Frich Tweed for the same price, right?
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    You know you can get Green Frich Tweed for the same price, right?
    LOL...

Still better than GIT too I understand...

I have never refilled that bottle of coolwater....not that I don't like, it has an amazing lingering smell hours after application, hence how it needs refilling (hmmm....)

But yeah, a lot of people around me seem to have this. Hearing comments too frequently like "Oh my ex boyfriend wears that" or for girl mates "my boyfriend wears that....don't wear that you remind me of him".

IMO at least it's a good ubiquitous scent. I don't like those extremely generic might-as-well-be-lynx type citrusy mens colognes.

BTW....sidenote since the subject has been introduced....is it possible to get G.I.T. in UK stores? none of the high street retailers seem to have this.

Yes, on the right person, Cool Water shines. I am on my 2nd bottle.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

IMO, Coolwater is quite fantastic - far better than any other designer aquatic scent.
    I`ve had 4 bottles of the original in total in spite of 3 summer editions.
    My current Fall-Winter rotation: Baldessarini EdC - Canali Men - Dior Homme Sport - Gucci PH I - Guerlain Homme - Issey Miyake L`Eau D`Issey PH Intense - Lalique Encre Noir - Loewe Solo - Terre d`Hermes - YSL Rive Gauche PH

Cool Water belongs to that category of scents which are so successful (because they are good) that perfume-heads can't possibly admit to liking them. It would mean that they know no more than the common man or woman in the street.

It is fantastic stuff, I prefer it to GIT because I don't like the violet note in the creed. Don't over apply it though or it becomes a classic whores-handbag-too-much-perfume thing.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Cool Water belongs to that category of scents which are so successful (because they are good) that perfume-heads can't possibly admit to liking them. It would mean that they know no more than the common man or woman in the street.

It is fantastic stuff, I prefer it to GIT because I don't like the violet note in the creed. Don't over apply it though or it becomes a classic whores-handbag-too-much-perfume thing.

I think there's a lot of truth in that. It's like coming out and admitting that Girls Aloud have actually produced some very good pop songs.

In any field where there are officionados, the very popular is frowned upon. Trust me, I'm a photographer, camera snobs are truly dreadful creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Sounds like you are describing Creed...

I somehow don't get CW at all, which is kinda sad, because it can be had very cheap and is not too unoriginal (although many of these late-80s/early-90s fougeres remind me of it). The problem is, it's so soapy-fresh, it just feels like some sort of shower gel or body spray rather than something perfumey.

I'm on my 6th bottle .. and I'm not tired of it yet.. I don't think i'll ever get tired of it. It's one of the scents which I can wear all year round.. and it WOW's the ladies for whatever it's worth.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Luca Turin gives Cool Water 5 stars. I won't say that agree with him that it's a masterpiece but it's a nice scent that sometimes wears out its welcome much too soon.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976