Code of Conduct

Default Your thoughtful consideration, please.

My 40th birthday is in six weeks. I am planning to mark the occasion with a new fragrance. I'm still pretty new to all of this, and therefore kind of a rube, so go gently if you will.

I was thinking that a man should mark his entry into his 40's with one of the Great Classic masculine fragrances, since one is becoming something of a Great Classic oneself. Then again, I really just want something that smells wonderful and makes me feel happy and sexy. On the other hand (Can you tell my birthday falls squarely in Gemini territory?), a 40th birthday is a marvelous excuse to spend a truly exorbitant amount of money on something like a bottle of perfume.

Things I like: Green smells, grass, citrus, musk, moss.
    Things I don't like: Anything that smells like dessert. Any Creed except GIT.

Things I've worn: In the 80's, it was Halston Z-14 and 101. In the 90's, Lagerfeld Photo, Eternity for Men, Perry Ellis, Obsession for Men, and, uh, Banana Republic Classic. In the last few years, I've worn Xeryus (I was late to that party), Cool Water (although I kind of think if you own one aquatic...), DKNY Red Delicious, Gucci Nobile (underrated!), and right now I'm bouncing back and forth between M7 Fresh and CK Truth.

I'm pretty new to niche stuff, but I've found Bois d'Orage intriguing, as well as Musc Ravageur. Chez Bond is nice enough and I've ordered Bulgari Black and Encre Noire decants from Perfumed Court.

Any input you'd guys would like to offer would be very, very welcome.

Default Re: Your thoughtful consideration, please.

May I suggest Gendarme 20 or Frederick Malle's Noir Epices.

BTW T. Rex, are you a barrister?
    Last edited by silverbullet; 16th April 2008 at 03:34 AM.
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Cool, I'm a Gemini too.

I highly recommend Frederic Malle Vétiver Extraordinaire for the green grassy smell...upscale as well, and Tom Ford Moss Breches in the Private Blend line....it has a classic 80's powerhouse vibe. Based on what you're looking for, I think you'll enjoy these.

Good Luck and Congrats on turing 40.

I don't know many of the niches, but as far as green, grassy, musky frags go, I'd suggest trying:
    Polo Green, Guerlain Vetiver, Thierry Mugler Cologne (not exactly a classic but still cut grass / musk), Bvlgari pour Homme, Gucci Envy (not necessarily green to everyone, but it smelt green to me!)
    Of the niches I have smelt, I'd also suggest CdG Kyoto. Vetiver, incense, very green, relaxing and expensive
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Sur la Plage

Hey T. Rex,

First - Happy Birthday in advance!

Second - I would recommend treating yourself to one of the Nasomatto fragrances. I personally recommend Absinth. But I know a few Basenoters enjoy the other scents - Duro, Hindu Grass, Silver Musk, and Narcotic Venus. They may seem a little pricey ($148 for a 30ml bottle EDP), but I think they are definitely worth the money - very unique and well crafted. Of course, sample everything first before buying.

Take care,

Joe
    Last edited by petruccijc; 17th April 2008 at 12:23 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Hmmm...I would definatley second the Gendarme 20 as per your description of what you like. If you order one sample from Gendarme's Home page they actually send you about 30 samples of all their scents and of course the one you ordered.

Chez Bond fits your description though I do believe Green Irish Tweed wins in that battle give it a try as well as Orginal Vetiver.

If you really wanna go green...try Le Base. You can get a sample at luckyscent. One of the greenest frags I know.

Why don't you try L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque? It is very green, sharp, with a fresh and green rose note. It has berry leaves in it. I love it.

Last edited by LuciusVorenus; 16th April 2008 at 03:57 AM.

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste, it smells like fresh cut grass and citrus! It would be perfect for you. If there's some others you would like to try, I suggest Cologne by Thierry Mugler, Truth by Calvin Klein (I hate Calvin Klein but this one is alright, smells like grass as well, very green scent), Essential by Lacoste, and Reaction by Kenneth Cole. You can also try Vetiver by Guerlain, but people say that it has been reformulated and does not smell as good as the original formula, but even still give it a try, it's for sophisticated older men which I'm assuming you are. Another sophisticated, citrus green scent is Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior, give that a try as well.

By the way, if you don't know which Lacoste I'm talking about it's this one: http://www.perfumeemporium.com/mens-...2/Lacoste.html
    Last edited by RomanceSilver; 16th April 2008 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    May I suggest Gendarme 20 or Frederick Malle's Noir Epices.

BTW T. Rex, are you a barrister?
    Ha ha, no. I am a classical music announcer for Georgia Public Broadcasting, which is one of the reasons I have to proceed in my fragrance addiction with extreme caution. Public Radio salaries (especially in the deep south) basically amount to an RC Cola and Moon Pie once a month after the rent and bills are paid.

Nsamadi said:

"highly recommend Frederic Malle Vétiver Extraordinaire for the green grassy smell...upscale as well, and Tom Ford Moss Breches in the Private Blend line....it has a classic 80's powerhouse vibe. Based on what you're looking for, I think you'll enjoy these."

I've been thinking about both of those, actually! I'm thinking the best way to do this will be to go and shop in Atlanta (the nearest big city) on or around my birthday. So, let's see, that was Vetyver Extraordinare, Noir Epices, Moss Breches, Cdg Kyoto...uh...(scribble, scribble)

im sorry....unique, amazing and perfect for the 40th birthday.

Nasomatto Duro of course!
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post

Isn't that the one that Mike and Bront found so enthrallingly erotic last weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by T. Rex, Esq. View Post
    Isn't that the one that Mike and Bront found so enthrallingly erotic last weekend?
    probably....i know i was ranting and raving to mike about duro many months ago.....

duro is a fragrance which will make you love the 'type' of scents that beforehand you might have believed that you could never even remotely find appealing...

i never thought i could find any fragrance with any presence of 'leather' as something i would ever consider wearing......but Duro goes way outside any boundaries of what you think any scnet with 'leather notes' could smell like......there is something so sharp and strong yet light and beautiful about this one that i promise you will not stop sniffinf and resniffing your arm for hours on end...

P.S and the longevity is incredible.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Nino Cerruti (1979)

T. Rex,

I strongly recommend you buy a sample of Duro, or other pricey scents, from luckyscent before plunging down big $$$ for a bottle.

Trust me, both your nose and wallet will thank you .
    Last edited by knightowl; 16th April 2008 at 07:29 AM. Reason: spelling

'Green' is not a big category for me, but my favorite is Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

*scribble, scribble*

I got a mini of Nino Ceruti; to me it smells like a womans perfume. Maybe my bottle is off? Its definately in the mens bottle (eg http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121186.html ); whether the seller simply put some cheap, fake, vulgar perfume in it I dont know.
    Last edited by Anthony87; 16th April 2008 at 07:26 AM.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by RomanceSilver View Post
    You can also try Vetiver by Guerlain, but people say that it has been reformulated and does not smell as good as the original formula, but even still give it a try, it's for sophisticated older men which I'm assuming you are.
    *cough*

I don't know about all that. The puckish enfant terrible thing is going a long way for me, still.

I'm wanting something that's somewhat wry, like Satie's Trois dans de travers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=240MF...eature=related

He wrote these pieces when a dance hall owner asked him to write some dances and paid him miserably for it. So Satie wrote three piano dances with no "One" count. They keep cycling around and de-emphasizing the downbeat, which makes them IMPOSSIBLE TO DANCE TO.

And yet, when you listen to them without knowing the story, they are still these achingly lovely, crooked melodies that pull at your heart.

So, I'm looking for the scent of a soulful smart-aleck.

The Tom Ford and Comme des Garcons Moss Breches and Kyoto, respectively, have piqued my interest. I like Comme des Garcons's sort of absurdist approach to making things that aren't necessarily perfumes into perfumes. But a joke will only take a juice so far. It has to smell good enough to stir the emotions.

Thank you again for this great thread. I'm starting to get really excited.

I am going to come in from left field on this one and recommend sampling Cologne from Chanel's Les Exclusifs collection. Sharp, citric-grassy, aldehylic - really an almost too perfect, angelic fragrance. A very refined, aristocratic, powdered clean. I just happened to wear it earlier this evening, and your description seemed to require a mention.
    Last edited by Carlos; 16th April 2008 at 08:03 AM.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

Another good one I thought of was Isfarkand PH and Ormonde Man by Ormonde Jayne. The Isfarkand is more grassy with moss....I suggest looking into those.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 16th April 2008 at 10:36 PM.

Blog Entries

I would go with Aramis JHL or Tiffany for Men unless you want to delve into niche (though Tiffany could be pricier than some of the niches nowadays).

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    Why don't you try L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque? It is very green, sharp, with a fresh and green rose note. It has berry leaves in it. I love it.

I wanted to second that. Great scent, one of my favorites. But then I thought I wouldn't give this to myself as a 40th birthday present. I'd want something very masculine, very mature and classy. On my 40th birthday I'd give myself (my then fifth bottle of) Cartier Declaration.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    T. Rex,

I strongly recommend you buy a sample of Duro, or other pricey scents, from luckyscent before plunging down big $$$ for a bottle.

Trust me, both your nose and wallet will thank you .
    Ditto and Ditto. Order yourself a sample of Duro, and if you like it, get it. It is probably the most expensive fragrance I would consider buying (more than Creed and Malle which I love) - $150 for 30mL or so, but it really would be a treasure you could put aside and indulge yourself in occasionally. A little goes a long way. As acceptfacts said, it has a sharp green note (akin to the ginger in Tabarome) mixed in with some sweet tobacco, and very dry woody incense base, not unlike Bois d'Orage which you already like, but far more multilayered.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime