Code of Conduct

Default King: A new drustore sleeper?

I was in Walgreen's today to pick up a prescription and sampled a new men's fragrance by parfums de coeur called "King." I liked it so I got a bottle: $9.99. It reminds me a little of Drakkar Noir. Similar to DN, but I don't think it's meant to be a copy, this stuff has a very interesting drydown.

http://www.youaremyking.com/

Default Re: King: A new drustore sleeper?

Maybe i should give it another try, but i wasn't compelled enough the first time to plunk down $9.99 for it.

I sprayed it on my wrist about a month ago when I was at CVS Pharmacy. When I got home I immediately tried to scrub it off.

To my nose, it very much had the "cheap" cologne smell to it.

It smelled incredibly synthetic to me as well ... which I guess reads as cheap. Those scents go straight to my head, and definitely not in the good way!
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

I do wish they would reintroduce Mens Malibu Musc....Panty remover....
    ;-)

I never heard of King and have never ran across it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I never heard of King and have never ran across it.
    Consider yourself fortunate. :brolly:

PARFUMS de COEUR has released the notes on King:

Top: bergamot, citrus
    Middle: fir, balsam
    Base: moss, sandalwood

Quote Originally Posted by GMF View Post
    PARFUMS de COEUR has released the notes on King:

Top: bergamot, citrus
    Middle: fir, balsam
    Base: moss, sandalwood
    Sounds like Escada or Drakkar Noir.

I saw a bunch of bottles of King tucked away in a corner of Wal-Mart. Wasn't compelled to pay 2.5 gallons of gas worth for it.

I read that the scent is suppose to last 12 hours. It looks like it is geared toward the latin american sector. Like all latin fragrances I find it very musky and over powering.
    Last edited by scentimus; 1st June 2008 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by macwarlock View Post
    I do wish they would reintroduce Mens Malibu Musc....Panty remover....
    ;-)
    Why are you wearing panties so tight that you need help with them?

Wow, freaky that this thread reappeared, as I *gasp* actually just bought a bottle of King today. After my scathing comments above, I decided to try it again since someone mentioned in another thread that it smells a little like Dial Gold Soap.

The initial blast definitely is horrible -- very synthetic & cheap cologne smelling. But after a few minutes, by George to my nose it does smell a little like the liquid hand soap version of Dial Gold.

After it dries down, it certainly has a Escada + Drakkar Noir quality to it.

I think it's an easy target because of its price, but it's actually what I consider a "cheap" thrill.

I don't think it's going to be the next "big" drugstore fragrance though. But I don't mind owning it.

I have to say that I hate the name though. I feel like it should be called "Auric" for some reason.
    Last edited by atrac; 1st June 2008 at 04:10 AM.

It's cheap. One spray in the air and it was all over me for hours until I took a shower.

Quote Originally Posted by yepyep View Post
    It's cheap. One spray in the air and it was all over me for hours until I took a shower.
    It's always been kind of weird to me that a lot of cheap colognes last much longer than many of the expensive ones. Considering the price difference, one would expect it to be the other way around.

Or what I should have said is, "one would hope."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    It's always been kind of weird to me that a lot of cheap colognes last much longer than many of the expensive ones. Considering the price difference, one would expect it to be the other way around.

Well, Superglue is an inexpensive fixative.

Drugstore/supermarket frags aren't my thing at all. No snobbery meant about that. Just the headaches keep me from them. I've caught whiffs of some that seem nice enough, but not that I couldd wear or breathe for very lon.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Its a wonder of modern science what synthetics can accomplish
    Last edited by scentimus; 1st June 2008 at 07:48 PM.

I've been wearing King for the past few days now and I have to say it's really grown on me -- I like it a lot. As it has been said a few times now, the initial blast is quite cheap smelling, but it does evolve pretty quick into a wonderful Dial Gold smell.

In the Dial Gold thread it has been suggested I buy SMN Gold Musk. Alas, I'm going to have to wait quite awhile before I can shell out $100 for a fragrance. The $10 I spent on this makes me 90% happier.

I've been wearing King for the past few days now and I have to say it's really grown on me -- I like it a lot. As it has been said a few times now, the initial blast is quite cheap smelling, but it does evolve pretty quick into a wonderful Dial Gold smell.
    See...I told ya. It's even the color of Dial Gold.

It is very long lasting

I'm bumping this.

I found a bottle of this for $2.50 while at my newly renovated local Walmart (their logo changed and so did their interior).

I've gotten the same experience with it. The top notes are so synthetic it's terrible. But after a few minutes you get a really nice Drakkar Noir, Paco Rabanne pour Homme, Escada pour Homme oakmossy type fragrance. And yes, it does smell like Dial soap.

Lasts forever but a little on the weak side. I sprayed a few times. Still... cheap but interestingly so.

Really weird stuff. 'Sleeper hit' is a very good description.

Right.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    I'm bumping this.

I found a bottle of this for $2.50 while at my newly renovated local Walmart (their logo changed and so did their interior).

I've gotten the same experience with it. The top notes are so synthetic it's terrible. But after a few minutes you get a really nice Drakkar Noir, Paco Rabanne pour Homme, Escada pour Homme oakmossy type fragrance. And yes, it does smell like Dial soap.

Lasts forever but a little on the weak side. I sprayed a few times. Still... cheap but interestingly so.

Really weird stuff. 'Sleeper hit' is a very good description.

I'll look out for this one at my local walmart. I like the fragrance of Dial soap.

I bought a .5 oz bottle of California for Men today, courtesy of the 99 Cents Only store. I was surprised to smell that it's top notes are quite similar to King's "after two minutes" top notes.

Quite soapy and fresh smelling. And while King dries down to more of a Drakkar Noir smell, California is more linear and doesn't really evolve.

So this leads me to compose this layman's equation:

California for Men + Drakkar Noir = King

Speaking of the 99 Cents Only store, they have a lot of Dana frags in .5 oz bottles:

English Leather
    English Leather Musk
    English Leather Lime
    Navy for Men
    California for Men
    Navigator
    Canoe
    British Sterling

They also had various ladies frags, but honestly I didn't pay attention to them.
    Last edited by atrac; 13th October 2008 at 11:07 PM.

Nothing pretentious about that name. Walgreen's you say, huh?.....

wow, ive never actually seen frags in my 99cents store. i should visit urs.