Code of Conduct

Default Joop Hoome Aftershave as a Cologne

I have put some Joop Homme aftershave splash into an atomiser, and yesterday applied my typical 6 sprays under my clothes and wore it to work.

It was an interesting contrast from when I apply normal Joop Homme EDT. It wasn't a sillage monster, and it didn't project much, but I certainly knew I was wearing it.

It started to get pretty weak at around the 10 or 12 hour mark, though it never completely disappeared. I wish all my scents lasted this well.

Some people find it way too strong or react badly to it as an aftershave splash. I can only use it as an aftershave splash by firstly applying Rexona or Nivea for Men aftershave balm, waiting ten minutes, and then applying a fine spray from the atomiser - and it still stings a bit.

So, if you have some Joop aftershave splash that you either bought or got in a gift set, do consider this alternative usage as a gentler scent.

Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 18th April 2008 at 12:27 AM.

Default Re: Joop Hoome Aftershave as a Cologne

EDT, aftershave, whatever,...Joop! is a no go for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    EDT, aftershave, whatever,...Joop! is a no go for me.
    I must admit that while I like smelling Joop on me, I really don't like it much when it wafts my way from others who are wearing it.

I tire quickly of sweet scents and like giving them a break, but that's hard to do with Joop since so many people seem to be wearing it down here, since it went really cheap everywhere.
    Renato

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I have put some Joop Homme aftershave splash into an atomiser, and yesterday applied my typical 6 sprays under my clothes and wore it to work.

It was an interesting contrast from when I apply normal Joop Homme EDT. It wasn't a sillage monster, and it didn't project much, but I certainly knew I was wearing it.

It started to get pretty weak at around the 10 or 12 hour mark, though it never completely disappeared. I wish all my scents lasted this well.

Some people find it way too strong or react badly to it as an aftershave splash. I can only use it as an aftershave splash by firstly applying Rexona or Nivea for Men aftershave balm, waiting ten minutes, and then applying a fine spray from the atomiser - and it still stings a bit.

So, if you have some Joop aftershave splash that you either bought or got in a gift set, do consider this alternative usage as a gentler scent.

Renato
    I think that is a very good idea Renato. If Joop! Homme wasn't so damn "in your face" strong, I would consider wearing it. But maybe that is why I like and wear Creed Original Santal ;-)
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I think that is a very good idea Renato. If Joop! Homme wasn't so damn "in your face" strong, I would consider wearing it. But maybe that is why I like and wear Creed Original Santal ;-)
    Yes, they're both interesting scents - I've got both. One can't really mix them up in a side by side comparison.

If one doesn't have the aftershave splash, Joop is so strong that the spray in the air and walk through technique can be an effective method of toning it down (I'm pretty sure it was Scentimus who recommended this when I first joined the board).
    Renato

I've actually thought about doing this before. Never got around to getting the Aftershave. I do have the Le Male aftershave though.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    I've actually thought about doing this before. Never got around to getting the Aftershave. I do have the Le Male aftershave though.
    If you check my old Aftershave Splash Endurance Test article at the main site, you'll see that Joop After Shave had far and away the best longevity of any I tested. Half of the other ones had decent longevity would act more like Cologne strength scents, and conk out after 3, 4 or 5 hours. The other half were at body spray strength and conked out after an hour or two.

i wouldn't go and buy the After shave just to wear it in this fashion, rather stick to the walk through method. I've mentioned it because there are an awful lot of gift sets currently floating around with the after shave splash.
    Renato

the only thing i like about joops longevity is that after i was given it as a gift from en ex, it makes great cat repellent.

spray it on my front lawn and it keeps them away for up to 12 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by overload View Post
    the only thing i like about joops longevity is that after i was given it as a gift from en ex, it makes great cat repellent.

spray it on my front lawn and it keeps them away for up to 12 hours.
    A jar of Dog and Cat Off, with it's citronella jelly crystals, lasts longer and is heaps cheaper.
    Renato

well, seeing as i got it for free and dont need to use it for anything else... never used the stuff you mention, dont have any trouble with keeping "dogs" away.

do you ?

well, seeing as i got it for free and dont need to use it for anything else... never used the stuff you mention, dont have any trouble with keeping "dogs" away.

do you ?
    Very handy for neighbour's dogs who like scratching and digging holes under fences. They hate the stuff.

The first time I used it I grabbed handfuls and scattered it around. Then I hated the stuff. I tried using Ajax to get the citronella off my hand, but I couldn't get it off.

Don't forget, your ex girlfriend got you Joop for a reason - very many women do love Joop. I've seen them buying it in Myers.
    It forms an effective part of the arsenal.
    Renato

Yes, they're both interesting scents - I've got both. One can't really mix them up in a side by side comparison.

If one doesn't have the aftershave splash, Joop is so strong that the spray in the air and walk through technique can be an effective method of toning it down (I'm pretty sure it was Scentimus who recommended this when I first joined the board).
    Renato
    You're right Renato -
    I love Joop Homme but never spray it directly on my skin for the sillage is just too much. Instead two sprays in the air and walk through the mist. Note you have to hold your breath - I once inhaled the mist and almost choked on the scent. Yes it is that powerful!

Very handy for neighbour's dogs who like scratching and digging holes under fences. They hate the stuff.

The first time I used it I grabbed handfuls and scattered it around. Then I hated the stuff. I tried using Ajax to get the citronella off my hand, but I couldn't get it off.

Don't forget, your ex girlfriend got you Joop for a reason - very many women do love Joop. I've seen them buying it in Myers.
    It forms an effective part of the arsenal.

Renato
    haaahaaaa ! i think you missed my joke... anyway, there is a reason my ex bought joop. she has extraordinary bad taste.

she picked up the large bottle for $25. no mess on the hands, just spray a couple of times across the front of the lawn and no cats for a couple of days. which in turn means that i have about five years worht of repellant for less than what youll pay for your useless citronella.

and like i said, i dont have any "dogs" to chase away.

If you think that Joop! Homme is too strong, you're using too much! Unfortunately, like any other strong fragrance a heavy hand gives it a "bad name".

This is my favourite male fragrance, so if that means I have bad taste, so be it..... but I would be in very good company as a lot of women love it as much as I do!
    It's been a long hot Summer in Sydney, looking forward to Winter & wearing vanilla fragrances.

[QUOTEThis is my favourite male fragrance, so if that means I have bad taste, so be it..... but I would be in very good company as a lot of women love it as much as I do! [/QUOTE]

so i guess there are a LOT of women out there with bad taste... but dont worry, some grow out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    You're right Renato -
    I love Joop Homme but never spray it directly on my skin for the sillage is just too much. Instead two sprays in the air and walk through the mist. Note you have to hold your breath - I once inhaled the mist and almost choked on the scent. Yes it is that powerful!
    I still haven't tried the mist walk through yet, but I will.

Also - I wish he'd put out an EDP version - if for no other reason than to satisfy my curiosity of what a hyper power scent would smell like.
    Renato

so i guess there are a LOT of women out there with bad taste... but dont worry, some grow out of it.
    Sounds like you still have some feelings for your ex that you're trying to take out on this innocent fragrance! Obviously she bought it because it was cheap - that's what you should be concentrating on!

It is a shame that Joop! Homme has become cheaper, it's frequently $44.95 at The Perfume Connection. I think that people don't respect fragrances when they're not paying over $100 a bottle.
    --------------------------------------
    I still haven't tried the mist walk through yet, but I will.
    I think a small spray near the top button of your shirt is really all you need to get the same result & less waste. Plus the next person in the room won't smell like Joop! Homme!

Also - I wish he'd put out an EDP version - if for no other reason than to satisfy my curiosity of what a hyper power scent would smell like.
    I'd like to see an EDP too! A bottle would last forever!
    Last edited by KeLLsTar; 21st April 2008 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    It's been a long hot Summer in Sydney, looking forward to Winter & wearing vanilla fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by KeLLsTar View Post
    If you think that Joop! Homme is too strong, you're using too much! Unfortunately, like any other strong fragrance a heavy hand gives it a "bad name".

This is my favourite male fragrance, so if that means I have bad taste, so be it..... but I would be in very good company as a lot of women love it as much as I do!
    It's not too strong on me - I really like it. If anything, when I'm wearing the aftershave splash I wish I had the real thing. But I'm concious that I dislike smelling it on other males, especially those who seem to be wearing it as an olfactory assault scent. And that some other males do think it too strong. And that some other males get red raw faces when using the aftershave splash. Hence this post.

You certainly aren't alone among females liking Joop. Apart from overdoing its application - what's not to like about this scent? I keep seeing comments about "synthetic" around here that make no sense to me.

At the end of the day, this scent was the masterpiece that started the whole sweet scent for males trend.
    Renato
    Quote Originally Posted by KeLLsTar View Post

It is a shame that Joop! Homme has become cheaper, it's frequently $44.95 at The Perfume Connection. I think that people don't respect fragrances when they're not paying over $100 a bottle.
    I think a small spray near the top button of your shirt is really all you need to get the same result & less waste. Plus the next person in the room won't smell like Joop! Homme!

I'd like to see an EDP too! A bottle would last forever!
    Yes, a scent seems to lose it's mystique when it starts going cheap. Although I picked up another cheap bottle, just in case it gets discontinued.

Joop is not alone though. The old stalwarts like Obsession, Opium, Eternity and Body Korous have also been taking nearly as big a hammering price wise.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 21st April 2008 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I don't think Joop Homme will be discontinued....

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I don't think Joop Homme will be discontinued....
    If it were to be discontinued, it would be a sad indictment of the male gender, given how much this scent is apparently appreciated by females.

Have any of the Joop spin offs grabbed you? Beach Clubbing and Summer Temptation were pretty good, but at the end of the day, I never bought them because I kept thinking the real thing was superior.

Joop Jump I disliked.
    Renato