Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default When did you start wearing colognes and what was your first scent?

I started aorund 12 to 13 and the first cologne I bought was Sir Campacha.

Default Re: When did you start wearing colognes and what was your first scent?

Count no AXE, I bought Fahrenheit, Lacoste Booster and Polo Sport at the same time but could not remember which scent I wore first. That was when I was about 16 years old. But the first scent that really captured my olfactory sensation is Dunhill Edition.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

earlier it used ot be deos by baccarose - copper...my first official scent was Jacomo - Rouge and then lacoste - style in play...

I started when I was 16 with Cool Water.

Blog Entries

18 with Armani Code.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

Blog Entries

I was 17 when I wore Acqua Di Gio. This was almost 10 years ago.

I seem to recall using Old Spice waaaay back but I'm not sure if I was just borrowing my dad's.
    My first very own bottle was Dana's Canoe (early 70s) followed by one called Jade East (strongly oriental & a real sillage monster as I recall).
    I used Aqua Velva after shave some and I remember being in awe of Brut (but never acquired a bottle for some reason).
    Last edited by Delmar; 19th April 2008 at 05:34 PM.

15yrs CK One
    18-26yrs Coolwater
    27 joined basenotes....
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

15 years & Hugo Deep Blue
    My current Fall-Winter rotation: Baldessarini EdC - Canali Men - Dior Homme Sport - Gucci PH I - Guerlain Homme - Issey Miyake L`Eau D`Issey PH Intense - Lalique Encre Noir - Loewe Solo - Terre d`Hermes - YSL Rive Gauche PH

I was 16 when my first bottle was gifted to me - and that was KOUROS. Yowsers!

Mine was Lancome Miracle. Quite different than everyone else at high school. I was 17.

10-11 Jovan Musk, U2, Aspen and another cologne that smells like Hugo. I stopped at 13 and started again at 16 with addidas Moves-Adrenaline. Then at 18 Givenchy PH

Probably when I was around 15-16, it was a bottle of Lomani from a hairdressers near mine. Then I moved onto the rip-offs of Joop! Homme and Fahrenheit. My first 'real' fragrance was about 3-4 years ago; Dunhill X-Centric, then Polo Blue, FCUK Him, then Nightflight, then I joined basenotes and now own about 10-12
    As a side note, I bought the 'classic match' version of Unforgivable today, called 'Unjustified', and in all honesty it smells alot better than the real Unforgivable (asides from the cumin assault in the top notes of Unjustified). I felt embarassed buying a ripoff, and I actually feel guilty spraying a 13$ frag compared to some of the stuff Ive paid up to 80$ for, but hey it smells good
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I wore Dunhill Desire occasionally when I was 16-17. Then Givenchy Very Irresistible, wore it occasionally as well and still wear it. My official start though was in January of 2008 (I was/am 21) when I bought my first bottle. It was Polo Double Black, and that's why I have a special connection with this scent.
    Last edited by Mostapha; 18th April 2008 at 08:12 AM.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

My first designer frag was diesel zero plus. Milky, sweet, inoffensive. Joop, then ferrari, then hummer, then this oil which lasted a whole year and still counting.. then Black XS
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

When I was about 11, my cousin bought me a bottle of the original Calvin.

WOW...no wonder I'm addicted to colognes....she set me up with a VERY nice start.

Guerlain Vetiver (in its vintage formulation)

Polo Sport was the first one I bought. Got rid of it because other people had it, then I bought Boss One. I was 15.

I was already at university, 19 or 20. Came from a non-fragrant household (Old Spice AS excepted). And what did I fall for? Azzaro pour homme. It wasn't really me either , that would have been Jil Sander Man Pure, a couple of years later.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Sur la Plage

My older sister bought me a bottle of Canoe when I was around 12 years old. Plus I remember "borrowing" colognes from my father - Old Spice, Jade East, Hi Karate.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

My first cologne technically was Hai Karate for my 9th birthday. I was easily influenced by the hilarious TV ads. I have no idea if they're available anywhere but if you want to laugh at how fragrance was marketed in the 60's this is a pretty funny example.
    The first cologne that I actually went out and bought; conscious about how I wanted to smell, was Jovan Musk when I was 13.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

It was like 1983, I was 16 and a girlfriend gave me Z-14. We were swimming and lying around at the Klamath River, watching enormous cloud sculptures of phosphates scud by and wondering who would be the first to lose the suit. I still have the bottle. Wow, weird.
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 18th April 2008 at 11:50 AM.

Hmm, I was 14 and my first scent was Aramis.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

At the age of 14 I wore Heaven (Chopard). Was a gift by my mother. Followed by Cool Water, Relax (both Davidoff), and Casran (Chopard).

14 with Lagerfeld...I remember the scented insert in the paper and had to grab it up. I experimented with Hai Karate when I was 10, but my girlfriend of the time gagged...methinks I used too much!
    LOL

I believe I was around 10 or 11 and I got Hugo by Hugo Boss then came Blue Jeans and I was hooked from there on out.

I wore my father's Lagerfeld Classic from about 13-18 and, when I went to college, I bought a small bottle of Obsession that in hind sight, I might have applied too liberally.

When I was 7 years old and older, I used my grandmother's English Cologne by atkinsons, when I was at her house. That was the first perfume I ever wore.

Wink Re: When did you start wearing colognes and what was your first scent?

My "first" was Guerlain's Habit Rouge... I was 15, it was 1986- 'an I've been hooked ever since!
    - A spritz of Caron may be quite continental, but (a flacon of) Guerlain is a perfumisto's best friend...

When I was very young I would slap on some of my dad's Mennen Skin Bracer or Old Spice. I would have been about fifteen when I bought Yardley's Cologne. But my first love in fragrance was Lanvin's Vetyver - light years from the current weak juice that bears this name. This would have been when I was in highschool - probably around 1966

For me it started when I was 15 with Guerlain's Vetiver (this was the late 70s, so this was the vintage formulation) and Pierre Cardin. But back then I only ever wore aftershave, not cologne. I still like then both.

My father got a number of mini's of Hermes Eau d'Orange Vert in his travels in the mid 80's (went to Europe and Japan for work)- and I snagged them all since he didn't want them (I was ~14-15).
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

I was 13. English Leather and Brut.

Not counting Axe... Last year. 22 with John Varvatos Vintage.

the first bottle i owned was aspen, which was a gift that i wore not that often lost the bottle.
    when i was 12-14 i "borrowed" romance and curve from my bro that i used for like once a week
    last november when i was 16 was when i "officially" owned my first bottle(well two) dunhill fresh and versace eau frachie or w/e. dunno which one i used first but thats when my addiction started.. perfumania had a buy one get one for 9.99 sale. i regret getting the dunhill over burberry touch because i started using the dunhill for air fresher after like 4 days of having it..

12 or 13 I think ... Hermes Eau d'Orange Vert, Giorgio Beverly Hills, Nautica (the original) and BBW used to make this sport scent which I just loved. If anyone can remember the name of it, I'd be extremely grateful!
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Thumbs up Re: When did you start wearing colognes and what was your first scent?

I started wearing English Leather (El Cheapo) and Pierre Cardin when I was 8. Chaps in High School was my first designer cologne.

Pino Silvestre... so many years ago... I guess I was pretty comic to my environment: a 13 years old boy with a strong smell of pine...
    Last edited by peevish_yolk; 18th April 2008 at 05:19 PM.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

1994, I was 14, someone gave me a knock-off of ck One. I only even wore it for concerts (band nerd). Never wore fragrances ever for years until recently, specifically my join date here at Basenotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I was 16 when my first bottle was gifted to me - and that was KOUROS. Yowsers!
    Wow... that instantly reminded me of my first roller coaster ride... I was terrified of roller coasters and my friends forced me onto the biggest one in the park. I am now scarred for life. Bastards.

My cousin gave me a cologne-after shave set of Hai Karate for my 16th birthday in the 1960's. After that I was hooked on fragrances!

I would steal my older brothers' Gravity and Blue Stratos when I was very young...and would make my mom aski for samples of Xyreus Rouge and KL and Polo when we would go to the mall.

My first purchased bottle was Fahrenheit when I was 17.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    My older sister bought me a bottle of Canoe when I was around 12 years old. Plus I remember "borrowing" colognes from my father - Old Spice, Jade East, Hi Karate.

Before seeing your post, I knew my answer was Jade East and it wasn't my Father's. Most people probably don't even know Jade East. There were alot fewer choices in the late 60's. They say if you remember 1969 then you weren't there. It's fuzzy , but what I do remember is cherished.

I started around the age of 14, when I bought a bottle of Avon's Crisp Lime.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

I started around 18, with a EDT and aftershave set of Adidas Moves that I saw in a store. I still have the bottles somewhere, but I really doubt they'll ever be used again now that I have much better stuff.

11 or 12 - was Clubman Pinaud or British Sterling...foggy.

when I was 10 or 11( I think) I wore some of the avon scents that my mom gave me and then moved up to some fake CKone. Then I stopped wearing scents for a while and got back into the old spice sprays about 3 or 4 years ago.

Then I kind of got sick of those and went scentless for a few months and started to get interested in cologne in the fall. The first scent I purchased was CK man and I thought it was great at first but once I found this site around christmas and discovered some other gems I haven't worn it.

When I was just a little kid, I liked to sneak into my Dad's The Baron.

I didn't really start wearing fragrance until high school, 15 or 16 with Paco Rabanne, followed by Halston Z-14.

I was 13 and i got Azzarro pour Homme....but I remember splashing myself a couple time when i was like 10 with Brut

Talking Re: When did you start wearing colognes and what was your first scent?

I was 11yrs old(1984) when I discovered Brut 33...LOL
    In 7th grade I was blessed with a bottle of Classic Polo green back in 1985!
    Kharisma92

Polo green when I was 14. Didn't wear anything for years and then bought Versus when I was 21.

Blog Entries

My very first I wore that was marketed to men was Clinique Happy.I bought it in the spring of 2004 I think. I had been interested in fragrances since I was little, but I had never considered wearing men's fragrances until I was on a trip home with a guy friend. We were sniffing around in Dillards & I gave Happy for Men a casual sniff...& it blew my mind. I fell completely in love with it & bought it on the spot. I went on a road trip shortly afterwards, & a guy friend & a girl friend both loved it on me & on the trip they both bought bottles for themselves! This will always be in my wardrobe.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

20, and my first frag was Antaeus. Wore it exclusively for a decade and a half, or something like that.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

About 16 I think... starting with Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger.

I was 16, Brut by Fabergé, it had just come out.
    BOIEK::LAPISHCHIN
    Tsar::0f::The::Samovar
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Yatagan
    Eau d'Hermès and Habit Rouge
    Eau de Rochas Homme
    Carven Vetiver
    Gucci Envy and his bad brother Le Mâle
    English Leather (Dana) and Agua Lavanda (Puig)

Hai Karate.

What.

I was 12, it was 1966 and we were living in a housing project.

So sue me.

Griff

(I am not counting the time I got into my mom's bottle of Tabu (Dana) when I was 6.)

Avon Wild Country was my 1st....when I was around 6 years old. At the age of 15 I started wearing Jovan Musk Oil. In my late teens I used Halston Z-14.
    My 1st really nice scents..... Polo, Lagerfeld, and PM by Chanel.
    Gary

i was 12 and it was Charles Jourdan. At 13 Eau Sauvage and at 16 kouros

I dabbed some of my father's stuff when I was young, but the first bottle I ever bought was Paco Rabanne PH (I was 18, I think). I still love this stuff, and glad it hasn't disappeared! It was my travel scent since I can't remember when! Even now, when I wear it, it reminds me of those journeys!
    Last edited by Schachman; 19th April 2008 at 04:45 PM.
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Blog Entries

the first 'crappy' cologne i ever got was a bottle of HERO way back in the day...probably 6th grade or something....

then in 9th grade, i 'bought' my first bottle of cologne which was Aramis. Came in a gift set i remember, with a deodorant which never worked. Shortly thereafter i stole a bottle of Sung Homme from a department store ( i used to be a clepto when i was young)....