Code of Conduct

Default Star Warriors Ante Portas !

I have seen first fragrances advertised like "xxx stars, by Chandler Burr, perfume critic of the New York Times". Certainly the names of Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez will soon be attached to fragrances also, at least in cases where the couple granted four or five stars, or when the rating was more favorable than Burr's.

But the industry has not waited long to arm themselveves. If you go to the Osmoz website you will find more and more fragrances decorated with four and five stars. Where do these stars come from if not handed out by the prominent trio? Anyone can guess. Osmoz has created the first fragrance community of the industry. If this serves no better purpose, one could use them as an alibi, n'est-ce pas?

As fellow members of the only men's fragrance community in the world I ask you guys: isn't it time we did our own rating of "men's fragrances, and fragrances worn by men" ? As a group we have a weight that cannot be ignored, and our independence can hardly be in doubt either. I will be glad to give any perfume the rating it deserves. I swear to be 100% subjective always, and strictly juice related. And I shall not rate fragrances that are sent to me for free only! I may even enjoy buying a couple of new ones. Why? - I love perfume.
    Last edited by narcus; 18th April 2008 at 01:11 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Default Re: Star Warriors Ante Portas !

Personally, I see reviews as a guide. Just because someone likes a particular perfume whos supposedly an 'expert' doesnt mean I will. I for one dont find leather fragrances that nice yet (maybe I'm too young, or havent smelt a good leather based frag) but I love my fresh, green or aromatic fragrances (Bvlgari homme & Aqva, Nightflight, Mugler Cologne are my top 4 atm.)
    I would agree though that this is quite a 'strong' group, and perhaps if fragrance marketers / researches spent some time in here, they might produce something that doesnt smell like everything else released in the last 5 years! (or something that actually lasts longer than the time it takes from spraying to putting your nose to your skin!)
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    ...I would agree though that this is quite a 'strong' group, and perhaps if fragrance marketers / researches spent some time in here, they might produce something that doesnt smell like everything else released in the last 5 years! (or something that actually lasts longer than the time it takes from spraying to putting your nose to your skin!)
    If they are smart marketers / researchers they have spent time here alsready. Basenotes isn't only big, it's being read by more and more people, and has gained influence and respect as a consumer forum.

1. We are representative for the group of men
    who own more than five bottles already and like
    to wear colognes every day.
    2. We are experts at all leves of perfume, and we have the experience.
    3. We are an important slice of the pie ourselves, and particularly active e-buyers.
    4. We give free personal advice on a 7 day/24h basis.
    5. We vote and rate constantly.

6. We have material on more perfumes than any other website does.

Grant, I would be surprised if this isn't the kind of thing you have been preparing for all along. Now is the moment to bundle these thousands of ratings and bring them into a legible form for quick reference. Google will take care of the rest. On Basenotes people will be able to find a rating for every brand they are actually interested in, including Azarros Chrome to Montale Aouds, and YSL Kouros, many of which have either received a killer rating, or were completely neglected by the 'grand Trio'!

Why did the three most popular 'experts enter into conversations with us shortly before and after their books have been released? - (a) they wanted to sell their books to us. (b) we help spreading their fame. Even our most critical remarks will have this effect. Nothing is worse for any performer than silence from the audience. At this moment no fragrance community can top the echo they received from Basenoters.
    Last edited by narcus; 18th April 2008 at 11:09 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Reviews are better than stars. Stars are not as precise, and sometimes the truth lies with those few reviewers who disliked the fragrance for the right reasons.

I am against the use of stars.

I am favorable to using a new improved piramyd of notes: one that tells which notes are more prominent in each level.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    Reviews are better than stars.
    I agree, but that wouldn't change the fact that we will see more star ratings and discussions than some of us may wish. The rater's names, and their star frags will show up in more and more commercials this year. Visit the new Osmoz website for first impressions. We shall have a star inflation, just wait and see!
    Last edited by narcus; 19th April 2008 at 05:47 AM.