Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nose Fatigue and the 30 second scent

I wonder when I notice a fragrance fade in about a minute - is it my nose "adjusting" to the scent ("fatigue") or do they really completely evaporate that fast?

My money is on nose fatigue, but does anyone know for sure?
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 18th April 2008 at 02:43 PM.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Nose Fatigue and the 30 second scent

I would say that it is your nose, not the scent. There is no way that a scent would evaporate that fast and dull down to a point that you can't even smell it anymore. I aslo can't see how you are experiencing nose fatigue so quickly but that makes more sense than the scent dissapearing completely.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to clarify - some notes fade away in <1 minute (or a time frame seemingly very short, anyway) - not the entire scent in a lot of cases.

Thanks for the comments!
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I still think that it is nose fatigue. Maybe if they are lighter notes they are less noticable after a few minutes, especially when surrounded by other, more overpowering notes. I can't say for sure. I'm sticking to my original thought though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have total nose fatigue with Jermes UN jardin Sur Le Nil. I love it, and then it's gone. so sad.

Post Thanks / Like

I have also noticed that the more and more I "develop" my sense of smell, the more details and subtleties I notice. Maybe I'm just picking up more of the little things that are already there, but it becomes a lot easier the more I smell and the more I know what I am smelling.

However, often times background smells, especially in public places, can really drown out my own scent and what I am sniffing for. There are just way too many stimuli to pick up. Try smelling when you're alone in your room and with a book or something, I find that helps me.
    Last edited by ChrisW; 18th April 2008 at 05:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Depending on the fragrance, the top note may vary in drydown time until it passes through the heart and finally arriving at the base, depending on the linear factor.

I find if I wear the same scent 2 days in a row, my nose is saying what has happened here LOL It's amazing, that's why I carry a bag of Juan Valdez's beans with me
    Last edited by silverbullet; 18th April 2008 at 07:01 PM.

It depends on two factors--your nose and the fragrance.