Code of Conduct

Default Polo Explorer: My Thoughts

This is the first great offering from this house in many recent years. It is a sublime, woody fragrance. Upon first blast, I smell a cooling cyprus note it seems. It quickly goes into the star note from that great discontinured contradiction by CK. So, fans of that will want to check out this. Although it has its similarity to contradiction, it is unique and better done. This has immediately beome my favorite woody fragrance. It is clean, rugged, and masculine. It is perfect for everyday use and for any occasion. I highly reccommend this fragrance!

Default Re: Polo Explorer: My Thoughts

I didn't even realize that Contradiction was discontinued.. I remember that fragrance as being quite intriguing... I've only smelled Polo Explorer in the bottle... I wasn't wowed. After seeing this review I might give it a skin test before I write it off.. thanks for the info.

a.

It's a relief to realise that I am not completely alone in liking Explorer. It's very wearable and makes me think of a typical powerhouse eighties scent that has been gently modulated for today's world. It's still very masculine and not too sweet. Certainly not the most "ambitious" fragrance around, but it has some character and smells good on the skin.
    The reaction here has either been non-existent or negative and I'm not sure why.

i think, imo, this is the most disgusting oddity of a frag that has come out in awhile...it smells like soup you would get in an Indian eatery....it has soom foody, celery type note that just absolutely rubs me wrong...on me it smells like a spice cabinet, minus the good smelling spices.

I wore it to the gym this evening. On me, it is manly all the way with a fresh edge. It is pure woody glory. The cyprus note reverberates and the drydown is magnificent. There is amber in the basenotes and this is an amber I can wear. I tried armani attitude and it flat out gave me a headache in the gym because it is too spicy with amber overload. Explorer however, it better balanced and as mentioned, completely wearable. Thumbs up! Oh yeah, a girl in the gym said that I smelled good.

I sampled this the other day. I didn't know what to expect because I didn't know what the notes were prior to testing. I was surprised by how sweet this was considering the rugged looking bottle. I figured that it would be a "tougher" outdoors type of fragrance. Maybe something with vetiver or some other kind of green accord. Overall it wasn't a bad scent, but I wouldn't spring for a bottle...

I believe everyone that loves Rive Gauche needs to test this. I get that barber shaving cream accord in this a bit. I think CK Man is sweet. I do get a woody green accord in explorer. Not the same green as in Kiton Men, but a green from the woods; most likely from the cyprus. I am not confirm that cyprus is in it but is smells like it. I don't think it is sweet at all. I think the likes of Mugler Colonge, Issey Miyake, Farenheit, etc. are much sweeter. I get a rugged feel from it and as described before, I think it is a 80's fragrance done in a modern way. Again, I would be surprised if all RG fans didn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    This is the first great offering from this house in many recent years.
    Agreed.

Question Re: Polo Explorer: My Thoughts

My father bought this for me abroad recently, but I haven´t received it yet.

Did smell it very hastily from the bottle a few weeks ago and it seemed like a nice enough
    and very wearable amber. A bit boring but just what you need for some of the days in the office.
    Therefore I´m interested in further comments on it. Hope it continues the recent upswing in RL
    fragrances. Double black certainly wasn´t a bad scent even though the cardamom prevented it from
    becoming a favourite of mine.

So, is Explorer a decent juice for office- or loungey casual wear? And how about longevity and sillage?

//m
    Last edited by MonkeyManMatt; 17th January 2008 at 02:44 PM.

Very good in all respects. Good longevity, good sillage, always ellicts a positive response from my wife. I think it works best as a casual Friday, "running around town" type of scent. Very sporty.

Double Black is equally good, just a little more "buttoned-down".

Thumbs down Re: Polo Explorer: My Thoughts

I really like almost all the notes used in Polo Explorer...

...but the strong powdery note kills the whole thing for me.

YMMV

Ooooh I saw Polo Explorer and came runnin up in here.

I smell this every single time I go to the RL store or RL section of a dept store. I looooove this cologne. Diva likes! It makes Diva creamy....*giggle* The SA's be lookin at me like.....Damn is she bout to......

ROFL.....I love a good smellin man. Fellas get familiar with your inner Explorer on the outside and then come find me
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    Ooooh I saw Polo Explorer and came runnin up in here.

I smell this every single time I go to the RL store or RL section of a dept store. I looooove this cologne. Diva likes! It makes Diva creamy....*giggle* The SA's be lookin at me like.....Damn is she bout to......

ROFL.....I love a good smellin man. Fellas get familiar with your inner Explorer on the outside and then come find me
    I get a kick out of your posts Diva.

For me Explorer was not powdery, no notes of pine, no 80's inspiration just a dull rather dry synthetic amber with fruity tops very similar to Polo Black.

Well, picked it up tonight.

Hmmm...Initial impressions are mixed.

An amber scent it is not.

Rather something fruity and peppery, a bit reiniscent of the discontinued
    (& not so great) Gant Soho. There is coriander in the pyramid and it is a note
    I seem to pick up quite strongly in the opening. This note also
    gives it a slightly herbal edge that is somewhat similar to
    L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme. A little bit weird but pretty nice.

Drydown is a bit sweet tonka and synthetic woods - the least interesting
    part.

I feel itīs a little bit early to pass final judgement on this. Itīs definitely
    no masterpiece, even among itīs latter generic peers, but still thereīs something
    lurking in the heartnotes that makes me think (and hope!) that this might turn out
    to be a grower like Polo Black was for me.

Office wear tomorrow, fingers crossed.

=)

//mmm

I really like this scent alot....As far as designer scents go this is a real winner. One must get this fragrance on the skin....the blotter cards at the counter do not do this scent justice at all.
    Gary

Basenotes Institution

I just found out yesterday that Polo Explorer was done by the perfumer who created Black XS by Paco Rabanne - Olivier Cresp. I had been previously ignoring this scent, but with this new information I'm interested in trying it now.

Mind you, Ralph Lauren / Polo are not one of my favorite lines. But, I'll give it a sniff.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd January 2008 at 03:42 PM.

*Coff*
    Meh...

Seems like all the comments are positive. I can't wait till I try it.

I've tried Polo Explorer two times, and in both trials, there was a dark bitter note like SOIL in it.

Do you detect the same note?
    Does anybody know what is this note?

incredibly dissapointing.

i smelled it probably 7-10 different times in macys and sephoras and never felt it was good enough to buy.....spicy, fresh woods.....thats about it.....decided to go against all my hunches and without skin trying bought the bottle......=/

one of the worst drydowns i've come across.....within 15 minutes all i smelled is sweet, synthetic, nausiating aura that i'm guessing is supposed to be tonka? i literally got nautious.....sad....gave the bottle away the same day.
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 16th April 2008 at 04:41 AM.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    incredibly dissapointing.

i smelled it probably 7-10 different times in macys and sephoras and never felt it was good enough to buy.....spicy, fresh woods.....thats about it.....decided to go against all my hunches and without skin trying bought the bottle......=/

one of the worst drydowns i've come across.....within 15 minutes all i smelled is sweet, synthetic, nausiating aura that i'm guessing is supposed to be tonka? i literally got nautious.....sad....gave the bottle away the same day.
    Acceptfacts you should know better than this. No more blind buys at the department stores! You are officially cut off!!

I've been searching for this in all the shops nearby without luck. Sephora here I come.
    First great offering in years? Come on where did Polo Double Black go?
    Last edited by Mostapha; 16th April 2008 at 08:03 PM.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

I think Polo Explorer is gorgeous on a man!

In the 90's I used to LOVE Polo. I smelt it for the first time a few weeks ago and nearly choked, can't believe how dated it is now! The dry down isn't bad but it just seems so old fashioned now.

Polo Explorer is a great update - bringing Polo into the Norties.

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    gave the bottle away the same day.
    Well... you have money to throw away? Next blind buy you don't like you can send it to me

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    i think, imo, this is the most disgusting oddity of a frag that has come out in awhile...it smells like soup you would get in an Indian eatery....it has soom foody, celery type note that just absolutely rubs me wrong...on me it smells like a spice cabinet, minus the good smelling spices.
    What a description

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

The dry down of explorer is not so bad, but obviously it is not pleasant at least in the first trials. But be patient, it is a very unique scent and I'm sure it will have a respectable place in future!

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    What a description
    ha ha thank you. I tried it again at sephora the other day...when i smell the spray nozzle i like what i smell, but when i spray it on my skin, i still just do not like it at all and i usually can find a reasn to like a frag...it takes a lot for me to hat a frag, but i think i found hate for this one...from lauren i will stick with double black!

;-)
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron