Code of Conduct

Default Art With Flowers......A Day In The Life Of A Diva

Well, I must say that today was sooooo beautiful in the DMV (DC/MD/VA). I had to go take competencies at my job today at noon. Man, I rolled down my windows and opened my sunroof and cranked up the Bob Marley......The sun is shining the weather is sweeeet. Make you feel like puttin on your dancing feet. Yes!! Sing it Bob is what I shouted.

Anyhoo, after that incredible waste of my time I decided to go out to Tysons Corner. I was determined to find some new perfumes. Well, I went to the Galleria of course. I checked out Niemans. They didn't really have anything new. I saw one, but it was so unremarkable that I forgot the name. It started with a L..Laila or something like that. Well, I kept asking about some of the new ones that were coming out, but she hadn't heard of any of them. I finally got to smell Fracas. It kind of reminded me of Joy and another one I can't recall right now. It's nice, but not for me. I smelled a couple of Creeds. I need SMW in my life. Oh it smelled so good on me. I smelled EAJ and the Rose Bulgare. Both were very pretty, especially the rose.

Well, I was off to Saks to test a couple of Bonds. I wanted to smell the new Andy joints. I liked Silver Factory, but did not like the Union Square. I smelled the Nuits de Noho and really liked that one. I need that one in my life as well. They didn't have the new Muglers. I was hoping that they would, but no luck. Anyhoo, I did get a chance to smell John Varvatos for ladies and man does it smell good. I think I may have to get that in my life as well. It's a beautiful floral just right for the spring/summer. I also smelled Chloe. It smelled very beautiful as well. It's a nice floral. As I went on it seemed like it turned to pure cedar. I'm not sure about the notes, but it did a 180. It still was nice, but it kind of reminded me Elle by YSL. I mentioned in another thread that Elle smelled like a gerbal cage...definite cedar overload for me. I'm gonna give the JV and the Chole a skin test next trip.

Finally I make it to the place I've been wanting to go to for the longest time........Art With Flowers. It's a lovely store tucked away on the 3rd level of the Galleria. I was greeted by a very nice SA. We talked about the different perfumes. I told him I was so excited about finally getting to try some Serge Lutens and some L'Artisans. They also had Kai, which I'm sad to say didn't agree with me at all, but it smelled absolutely lovely. I tried a few that everyone mentions on here...Tea For Two, Dzing, Patchouli Patch, Amber Sultan, Un Bois Vanille, etc. I had to have been in there for about an hour and a half just trying everything. He had some Miller Harris, Comptoir Sud Pacifique, Amouage, and qite a few lines that I never heard of before. I must say that I loooooved Un Bois Vanille. It's right down my alley for this sweet tooth of mine. I fell in love with Dzongkha. Ooooh man did it smell good on me and it just kept getting better the longer I had it on. I will definitely be wearing that next winter. It's a lovely spicy/wood frag. They are my favorite in winter

I forgot to ask him his name after talking him to death about perfume, but he has to be one of the best SA's I've come across in a while. We talked about all kinds of perfume and he was very helpful. I had to call it quits because I was starting to get a headache from the Union Square that was on my arm, which was some kind of terrible smelling at this point. Anyhoo, as I was about to leave the SA said wait a minute. I turned around and he had a bag full of samples prepared for me. He gave me samples of all the ones I asked about and some others as well. I will definitely be going back.

Well, I just wanted to share my wonderful day with you guys. It's so wonderful being a BNer. It's great when you ask for perfumes that the SAs don't have a clue about. It's even funny when they try to tell you that a perfume is new when it's been out for years. The weather just put me in a good mood and being able to try those perfumes I've been dying to smell made it even better. If you are ever in the area, please check out Art With Flowers. It's a nice little spot and you don't have the evil spray ladies chasing you around LOL!! I think maybe I should do some work now.......yeah right.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Default Re: Art With Flowers......A Day In The Life Of A Diva

Diva, what a great post! It's great to find a SA that is helpful and charming and friendly, and doesn't mind you talking their ear off about perfumes for ages. You certainly had a fun day!
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Thanks Clemmie! I wish I knew my notes better and could describe perfumes like the others. I just red Chandler Burr's review on the Chole and he didn't care for it at all. I hope to get back out there soon. With work and school I hardly get to go anywhere. So, the sunshine and the smelly treats made for a great spring day.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

Wow Diva! With all that work and school you deserve a fabulous day like that. I will have to check out Art With Flowers when I vsit my best friend in DC this summer! Your description of your day sounds so wonderful I am turning a very unattractive shade of grren right now

Diva, I love that place. How cool that you made time to just go and follow yr nose. My daughter and I go down every couple months and wander around smelling. And yeah I love that the SA's actually know the frags and care about them. Bill, one of the owners, sort of chuckles in a good-natured way about us perfumistas but he also clearly cares, tries everything, makes great recommendations, and fundamentally gets the sensuous life. Everyone there is also really generous and friendly even though they know we're unlikely to buy much.
    It seems like I'm seeing more and more of us in the Maryland area. A little fest gathering 'fumies from Philadelphia to DC might pull in a quite a few! Sadly, I'm not the person to organize. Any takers?

Tdi I know you will love Art With Flowers. They have so many different perfumes. I know that you love to shop like I do and Tysons is just the place for you . It's nice to shop without the pressure. The SAs can be a little too aggressive sometimes. The SA in Saks was like security for Bond No.9 lol. I would pick up something and she would grab it and be like NO! you must try this. I was not gonna let her ruin my perfect day by sickin Diva on her, cause she was real close to meeting her snatching bottles out my hand like that. I sooooo needed that day. I had to pick up extra shifts last week plus I had been studying for an exam...that was postponed till next week arrrgh!!! What better way to treat myself.

What a nice sniffing day you had! Lovely. I like to make lists of frags to try and then visit shops that stock them. Nice and informed SAs are always a plus.
    Have a great weekend everyone.

I had the exact opposite today. Went to a designer outlet in an adjacent county. They had a perfume discount store there, and I asked if they had the new Prada Infusion d'Iris silver handbag sprays. "We don't stock Prada" came the reply. So then I asked if I could sample Cartier Delices. Nope. Can't sample anything, "we're not sent samples". So basically, if you want to buy anything there, you have to already know you like the fragrance, or buy it on the off-chance, or be buying a present for someone who you already know likes and wears the fragrance, or buy it for THEM on the off-chance. Not a single sample in sight. Not a tester bottle open anywhere. We left, empty-handed.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    Tdi I know you will love Art With Flowers. They have so many different perfumes. I know that you love to shop like I do and Tysons is just the place for you . It's nice to shop without the pressure. The SAs can be a little too aggressive sometimes. The SA in Saks was like security for Bond No.9 lol. I would pick up something and she would grab it and be like NO! you must try this. I was not gonna let her ruin my perfect day by sickin Diva on her, cause she was real close to meeting her snatching bottles out my hand like that. I sooooo needed that day. I had to pick up extra shifts last week plus I had been studying for an exam...that was postponed till next week arrrgh!!! What better way to treat myself.
    You're right Diva I love shopping at Tysons! I have not been to DC for a couple of years though, so I am excited to visit this summer. What you said about the Bond No.9 SA's made me laugh because I had the same experience a couple of weeks ago in Atlanta. They hovered like I was going to steal a squirt of their precious juice and kept wanting to spray stuff on cards for me and I could not try anything I wanted to because they were so obnoxious. I promptly walked over to the Annick Goutal SA who was very friendly and chatty and helpful.....I bought 2 bottles from him

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Diva, I love that place. How cool that you made time to just go and follow yr nose. My daughter and I go down every couple months and wander around smelling. And yeah I love that the SA's actually know the frags and care about them. Bill, one of the owners, sort of chuckles in a good-natured way about us perfumistas but he also clearly cares, tries everything, makes great recommendations, and fundamentally gets the sensuous life. Everyone there is also really generous and friendly even though they know we're unlikely to buy much.
    It seems like I'm seeing more and more of us in the Maryland area. A little fest gathering 'fumies from Philadelphia to DC might pull in a quite a few! Sadly, I'm not the person to organize. Any takers?

Yes, I had the best time just smelling away. I've tried to gather us all together once before, but only I and MichelleH showed up. They had the perfume festival at Nordstrom last Nov. and I thought it would be great if all the BNers in the area could show up for a little M&G. Oh well I guess I'm not much of a planner either LOL. Nordstrom in Tysons is having something this w/e too. I have to work. Ilse, my favorite SA at the Tysons Nordstrom is back at work and looking better than ever. She had hip surgery. She called me yesterday to tell me about the event. I will definitely be going back to AWF.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    I had the exact opposite today. Went to a designer outlet in an adjacent county. They had a perfume discount store there, and I asked if they had the new Prada Infusion d'Iris silver handbag sprays. "We don't stock Prada" came the reply. So then I asked if I could sample Cartier Delices. Nope. Can't sample anything, "we're not sent samples". So basically, if you want to buy anything there, you have to already know you like the fragrance, or buy it on the off-chance, or be buying a present for someone who you already know likes and wears the fragrance, or buy it for THEM on the off-chance. Not a single sample in sight. Not a tester bottle open anywhere. We left, empty-handed.

Uuuuhg!! I hate that. How are you gonna have a perfume shop with no samples and testers.

Burn them at the stake!!!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by tdi View Post
    You're right Diva I love shopping at Tysons! I have not been to DC for a couple of years though, so I am excited to visit this summer. What you said about the Bond No.9 SA's made me laugh because I had the same experience a couple of weeks ago in Atlanta. They hovered like I was going to steal a squirt of their precious juice and kept wanting to spray stuff on cards for me and I could not try anything I wanted to because they were so obnoxious. I promptly walked over to the Annick Goutal SA who was very friendly and chatty and helpful.....I bought 2 bottles from him

Oh No!!! It must be in the training amnual then ROFL!!

1. The customer must not touch the bottles.
    2. The customer must not spray the bottles
    3. If at anytime the bottles are out of perfect alignment, you will be terminated immediately.

I buy my Bond online anyway. I get 15% off and free shipping. The code "makeupalley" still works .
    Last edited by Divatologist; 20th April 2008 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost