Code of Conduct

Question Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve redux

Did any of you guys who said in the other thread you were going to try Special Reserve do so? If so, how do you like it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve redux

I did try it, and I did buy it. I think it is an incredibly complex fragrance for something that goes for about $8. While it is "leathery" (whatever that means, I think it actually means it smells like saddle soap) and a bit rustic at first, but it moves on with a more mellow drydown with a touch of vanilla or amber or something, lurking in the background. One would almost feel it not worth the time and effort to study this very deeply, but odd as it seems, this is a very interesting fragrance for men who like unabashedly masculine fragrances. In the end, it does have a touch of the original Clubman "house scent", and it also reminds me somewhat of Trumpers Spanish Leather, but the Trumpers is a bit milder. If you buy it over the Web, it's strange because shipping almost doubles the price. It would be better to find it somewhere and get if for half off, which I didn't. Longevity is pretty good, but it becomes a skin scent after awhile.

Post Thanks / Like

I look for it in every store I enter, but have not found it yet. I may have to follow Joe_Frances' lead and order it online.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMF View Post
    Did any of you guys who said in the other thread you were going to try Special Reserve do so? If so, how do you like it?
    Yes. It is one of the all time great leathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    While it is "leathery" (whatever that means, I think it actually means it smells like saddle soap) and a bit rustic at first, but it moves on with a more mellow drydown with a touch of vanilla or amber or something, lurking in the background.
    Leather is usually described as smelling like the chemicals traditionally used to tan leather, but I suppose saddle soap is an equally good analogy.

I usually like my leathery fragrances with more of a dry, citric touch, rather than sweet and vanilla. Would you say that it is very sweet or just a little sweet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Leather is usually described as smelling like the chemicals traditionally used to tan leather, but I suppose saddle soap is an equally good analogy.

I usually like my leathery fragrances with more of a dry, citric touch, rather than sweet and vanilla. Would you say that it is very sweet or just a little sweet?
    This is not really sweet at all. As I said it's a bit "rustic" in that it's a tad raw an on the strong side at first. The sweetening is not very pronounced, it just takes the edge off of this, and makes it mellower. It is not a sweet fragrance IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    This is not really sweet at all. As I said it's a bit "rustic" in that it's a tad raw an on the strong side at first. The sweetening is not very pronounced, it just takes the edge off of this, and makes it mellower. It is not a sweet fragrance IMHO.

Thanks -- it sounds like a fragrance that I might like. I have seen it in Walgreens but all of the bottles are sealed so it would have to be a blind buy.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried this too. How can you resist for an $8 price tag? Actually I think I paid $4.95 on drugstore.com plus shipping ($6 or so)! Surprise - this is a great fragrance. Starts of like you might expect a Clubman fragrance with warm fougere like notes that are very pleasant but not that special. After a half hour it develops into a cool smokey very dry leather fragrance - a nice oak moss leather finish - incredible. Reminds me of Cuiron leather in the drydown. I like the scent better than Curion because its a little gentler with the warm opening. Pinaud Clubman SR has to be the value find of the year! It is listed as as an after shave cologne and I noticed it is at least half the strength of normal cologne - so you have to give it a good splash which feels like too much at first but is needed for it to last half a day or more. Great stuff!
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 27th July 2008 at 04:42 PM.

It's surprisingly good. I plan on giving it a full wearing sometime this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Buzzlepuff for leading me to drugstore.com. I just ordered a 6 oz. bottle of Special Reserve - the total with shipping was $10.98.

I have read so many good comments from members whose noses I trust, I felt entirely comfortable buying this fragrance blind.

Thanks guys!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

This aftershave came up in discussion over at Shave My Face, and I never really read any definitive opinions of the scent or any descriptions of the notes. I'm glad this came up: I seem to have similar tastes to several of you guys who like this, so it looks like I need to include a bottle in my next order from drugstore.com. Thanks for the reviews.