Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default SotW April 12th-18th 2008

Sorry Basenoters, if this SotW is a little shorter than normal it’s because the nasty server ate my homework twice before. Now I’ve learned from my past mistakes and am doing this offline before cutting and pasting.
    Anyway here we go for week 7 starting with the raw numbers:
    779 posts of which Monday was Scent Day. Numbers are slightly down probably due to the homework-eating server.
    454 different scents mentioned making for seven out of seven weeks over 400.
    302 scents mentioned only once for a 38.7% individuality factor which is exactly the average through seven weeks.
    The week started out with a synchronized wear of Bandit and 12 community members joined in to make this the second highest turnout for a synchronized wear. Gucci Envy’s St. Patrick’s weekend is still the standard setter at 16 for a single day.
    The theme this week revolved around Turin and Sanchez’s “Perfume:The Guide”. After reading and debating the ratings there were significant bumps, and one big dip, that I think were related to that. First the houses of Chanel, Creed and Guerlain saw their biggest total week by a large amount over any previous house total for those three. Because these houses were the focus of so much attention I think it was only natural to see the community reach out and try them on. For one of these houses it is a huge week as they place four scents in the top 10. One reason I think this is book related is that Montale was not reviewed and that house had its worst week ever with less than half the total wears of previous weeks. This is from a house that has seen consistent support from the community. Two scents also looked to get significant one week bumps in L’Artisan Timbuktu and Parfums de Nicolai New York as they both posted their highest one week totals. Czech & Speake #88, also featured in the book, had its highest total ever. I am less willing to give that total entirely up to the book as Czech & Speake #88 has shown a consistent number of wears from week-to-week and this is only one wear higher than the previous week’s total. The one surprise that didn’t get one wear was Tabac Blond. With all the talk about the reformulation I thought a few community members would’ve worn it to give their opinion but nobody took up the figurative gauntlet. Which may be the more damning proof of Turin and Sanchez’s hypothesis.
    In as much as I think the forum chatter around Turin and Sanchez’s ratings did drive our choices for the week it doesn’t look like any other topic generated any additional wears.
    The shadowy synchronized wear group, BN-6, looks like they took the week off and so after two weeks of putting a scent into the top 10 they stand ready to affect things next week.
    This was the first week in three weeks that there is no scent in the top 10 which is there solely on the wearing habits of one member.
    This week’s top 10 welcomes back a member who fell out of favor last week only to return this week with a bullet as we have a tie for #1.
    So without further preamble and because I hear the slavering jaws of the server warming up for another serving of SotW here is the top 10 for April 12th-18th 2008.
    1.) Creed Bois du Portugal 12 wears (1.4%)
    1.) Robert Piguet Bandit 12 wears (1.4%)
    3.) Terre D’Hermes 11 wears (1.2%)
    4.) Guerlain Vetiver 10 wears (1.1%)
    5.) Czech & Speake #88 8 wears (1.0%)
    6.) Dior Homme 7 wears (0.9%)
    6.) Guerlain Habit Rouge 7 wears (0.9%)
    6.) Guerlain Heritage 7 wears (0.9%)
    6.) Guerlain L’Instant pour Homme 7 wears (0.9%)
    6.) Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme 7 wears (0.9%)

Bubbling just below the top 10 was a group of seven scents all of which with one more wear would’ve made the top 10. They were : Caron Yatagan, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Silver Mountain Water, Eau D’Hermes, Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur, Guerlain Spiriteuse Double Vanille, and Narciso Rodriguez for Him.
    That’s it for this week. As always, you keep wearing ‘em and I’ll keep counting ‘em.
    Have a well-fragranced week.
    There that’s a good server, good server. Let Metro Man make his post. What!?!? Down server, down!!! Bad server!!! Stay away from the post. Bad server!!!
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Default Re: SotW April 12th-18th 2008

I am astounded by your dedication and enthusiasm on this project. May I offer you a cheers for a job well done!

Post Thanks / Like

Once again my kudos, not only for the quantitative figures, but for your insightful analysis as well!

This is definitely the post I look forward to the most!

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Way cool job, Metro Man!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Although I have to say I am getting a lot of enjoyment of watching the data develop during the week.
    I do the same thing on a molecular level when I'm designing drugs in my work-a-day world. To do it on a different level and look to find correlations is fun to me.
    So I'm glad I'm not boring anyone, yet. After a year or so of this you guys may get tired of me, or not.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

No... never bored!! It's great and many thanks for doing this! I look forward to the posting each week! Thanks again!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette