Code of Conduct

Default Prediction: Storer's Winter Star

In terms of its success, this could be another JPG Le Male if properly marketed. It is a different masculine powerhouse and lasts forever. I loved it when I first smelled it a few days ago and my girlfriend's reaction to it reinforced my opinion. She has smelled most frags in my vast collection and I do not remember any praise such as she stated about this. You heard it here first.

Default Re: Prediction: Storer's Winter Star

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    In terms of its success, this could be another JPG Le Male if properly marketed. It is a different masculine powerhouse and lasts forever. I loved it when I first smelled it a few days ago and my girlfriend's reaction to it reinforced my opinion. She has smelled most frags in my vast collection and I do not remember any praise such as she stated about this. You heard it here first.

I hope Winter Star is better than Storer's other wannabe frags, otherwise my prediction is he'll be advertising on Basenotes just to get rid of his stock.

Excuse me while I eat a little crow. "silverbullet" sent me a sample of "Winter Star" Winter Star is classic old school perfumery at it best. It is a potent elexir with room filling sillage and lasting power second to none. JPG Le Male isn't even in the same league as "Winter Star". Everyone knows I'm not a Storer fan, so please just let me say "Winter Star" is 5 stars in my book and deserves recognition. If you relish some of the greats, and eschew their less than thrilling reformulations, then please give yourself the pleasure of experiencing an original masterpiece with qualities rarely found in todays perfumery. "Winter Star" by Michael Storer can stand tall and sit on my shelf with the big boy's. Kudos to you Michael for creating something special.
    Last edited by thebeck; 26th April 2008 at 09:04 PM. Reason: received sample of winter star

Although I admire Michael's work and fragrance savvy, both my wife and I found Winter Star overbearing and difficult to wear.
    There is a sappy resinous quality to it that we found rather cloying. (There are some serious aldehydes at play here that neither of us can easily wear). It is a scent however that compels one to sniff again - but the opening and middle notes seem a little unrefined. The drydown (after 8+ hours of wear) is more remarkable. Tweaked and re-released as a room scent, it would be delightful, but in terms of ever sharing its success with the likes of Le Male... that's just pure fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I hope Winter Star is better than Storer's other wannabe frags, otherwise my prediction is he'll be advertising on Basenotes just to get rid of his stock.
    Have you tried Winter Star yet Which fragrances of the rest of collection seem to be wannabes to you, and what do they want to be? Just curious from a different perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Although I admire Michael's work and fragrance savvy, both my wife and I found Winter Star overbearing and difficult to wear.
    There is a sappy resinous quality to it that we found rather cloying. (There are some serious aldehydes at play here that neither of us can easily wear). It is a scent however that compels one to sniff again - but the opening and middle notes seem a little unrefined. The drydown (after 8+ hours of wear) is more remarkable.
    Yep, that's why I decanted some of it into a small dropper bottle and use a couple of drops instead of spray's, which makes all the difference. Now it's much more wearable, and the top notes also don't tend to hang around for hours (overpowering everything else!) if you apply it this way.

But off course, this is the wrong season to wear it anyway.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    Yep, that's why I decanted some of it into a small dropper bottle and use a couple of drops instead of spray's, which makes all the difference. Now it's much more wearable, and the top notes also don't tend to hang around for hours (overpowering everything else!) if you apply it this way.
    Yes, this is not a 3- 10 spray frag, for me that is. Just a tad goes a long way.
    Last edited by silverbullet; 20th April 2008 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    Yes, this is not a 3- 10 spray frag, for me that is. Just a tad goes a long way.
    No, I figured that out the very first day - when I sprayed my usual 3

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    Have you tried Winter Star yet Which fragrances of the rest of collection seem to be wannabes to you, and what do they want to be? Just curious from a different perspective.
    I haven't tried Winter Star yet, but would still like to try it. I just think Mr.Storer should consider selling his samples individually so I don't have to purchase all of them. If I'm willing to pay for shipping then why should he care.

I am with thebeck. I have tried his frags and found them lacking. I haven't tried this one though or the Kadota one. However, I don't have high hopes.

Kadota is his best, as far as I know. It tops L'Artisan and Hermes fig efforts, and is highly comparable to Philosykos, maybe even slightly smoother and better.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

I classify Winter Star as a rich 'incensy' Soft Oriental (Amber).

To me, it belongs in the same family as fragrances like Ambre Sultan, Caravelle Epicee, Black Tourmaline and mb03.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 20th April 2008 at 11:18 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Too spicy for me. Very Christmas-y.
    Last edited by Scentronic; 21st April 2008 at 01:21 PM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Please read my edit to my original response to this thread. I'm having to eat a little crow today.

Blog Entries

Well, this thread has certainly been a real wild rollercoaster ride for me as the perfumer. The one thing I glean from it all is that I'm giving every one too much concentrate. I surmise I need to dilute them all for the sake of wearability and to match the amount you are all used to applying. I kept thinking stronger was a better deal for my clients, but I'm learning that that's not so. I'm used to applying very little. Thanks for the edification.

Michael Storer
    MICHAEL STORER fine niche perfumery for the individualist
    www.michaelstorer.com

Quote Originally Posted by mastorer View Post
    Well, this thread has certainly been a real wild rollercoaster ride for me as the perfumer. The one thing I glean from it all is that I'm giving every one too much concentrate. I surmise I need to dilute them all for the sake of wearability and to match the amount you are all used to applying. I kept thinking stronger was a better deal for my clients, but I'm learning that that's not so. I'm used to applying very little. Thanks for the edification.

Michael Storer
    Please don't dilute. Let everybody apply lightly. The potency of Winter Star is what I consider an asset that too many perfumes today are lacking. Set youself apart and continue to make perfumes the old fashion way, strong and long lasting.

What thebeck said. I do not think the first three were too potent and Winter Star's beauty is its potency.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Please don't dilute. Let everybody apply lightly. The potency of Winter Star is what I consider an asset that too many perfumes today are lacking. Set youself apart and continue to make perfumes the old fashion way, strong and long lasting.
    What thebeck said. I do not think the first three were too potent and Winter Star's beauty is its potency.
    What thebeck and stuigi said, in spades.

Michael, please do not dilute Winter Star - it is what keeps my wife and I coming back for more.

As the artist/perfumeur, I am sure it is hard to resist adding a brushstroke here or altering one there but I would be more than happy if you left Winter Star as the roughhewn fragrance it is. You must consider it incomplete, but I (and obviously others) wouldn't change a thing.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    What thebeck and stuigi said, in spades.

Michael, please do not dilute Winter Star - it is what keeps my wife and I coming back for more.

As the artist/perfumeur, I am sure it is hard to resist adding a brushstroke here or altering one there but I would be more than happy if you left Winter Star as the roughhewn fragrance it is. You must consider it incomplete, but I (and obviously others) wouldn't change a thing.
    I agree completely. Winter star is at ideal strength.

And I also think the Gen and Kadota are magnificent in that regard. As Kadota turned out to be grand in the heat, a warm day made it greener on me. The longevity is superb.

I've been wearing this today since after lunch (thanks to Mr. Silverbullet!). Wow! I really like this, but probably did spray too much (or better to say, too concentrated to my wrist). I got several good comments from people in my office, and nobody said it was overpowering, just that they caught wafts of it from time to time! Perfect in my opinion.

Michael, please don't change it! If you do... please send me some of the old one first!!
    Last edited by Schachman; 21st May 2008 at 10:35 PM.
    "Faites des bÍtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

the name is nice

So when will this be available for sampling or purchase????

Bump. I'd love to sample this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    I agree completely. Winter star is at ideal strength.

And I also think the Gen and Kadota are magnificent in that regard. As Kadota turned out to be grand in the heat, a warm day made it greener on me. The longevity is superb.
    Yeah, don't dilute, dude!

Also, I thought Kadota was horrible when I first tried it, I'm not taking that back, because at that time (late winter) to me it really was.
    However, warm weather changes everything! I don't know how this is possible, but that annoying Virgin Oil coconut smell I mentioned earlier is practically gone! Now it's a very pleasant frag actually. Perhaps a tad on the fem side, but hey, that never stopped me from wearing something I enjoy.

Does anyone know if Michael Storer actually produced any bottles of Winter Star or just samples? I would love to find some bottles but do not know where to look. He has not returned my e-mails.
    Last edited by stuigi; 23rd July 2008 at 11:21 AM.

stuigi, Winter Star was an exclusive limited release for Basenoters late last year.

My wife and I each have a bottle. Other Basenoters have bottles. I too am excited about the possibility of Michael making another batch - this is great stuff.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 23rd July 2008 at 11:58 AM.

Does anyone know if Michael Storer actually produced any bottles of Winter Star or just samples? I would love to find some bottles but do not know where to look. He has not returned my e-mails.
    Yes he has produced 2 oz. bottles. Last time I talked to him he was headed overseas, that might be the email delay. As I said before, I'll keep you all posted
    Last edited by silverbullet; 23rd July 2008 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    Kadota is his best, as far as I know. It tops L'Artisan and Hermes fig efforts, and is highly comparable to Philosykos, maybe even slightly smoother and better.

I tried this and did not like it at all. Ill trade a sample of this for the Winter Star. I also got that oil/coconut thing going on and this is during the heat of summer.
    Last edited by finsfan; 23rd July 2008 at 03:36 PM.