Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ambergris Question

Being puzzled as to what exactly ambergris smells like, I ran a search for ambergris in the Directory. This threw up the following scents that I own which are supposed to have ambergris in them.

Nautilus Aqua
    Cristobal
    Kenneth Cole Black
    Kouros Cologne Sport
    Live Jazz
    Romeo Gigli.

My question is to the people who have no difficulty smelling ambergris in Creed scents.
    Have you detected ambergris in any of the above six scents that you've tried?
    Regards,
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ambergris Question

Natural Ambergris smells like "Ambergris changes rapidly on the skin, it becomes marine and leathery with milky motherly undertones, it's extremely effective as an aphrodisiac for men when a woman wears it"
    Quoted from www.profumo.it where real Ambergris can be purchased.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Natural Ambergris smells like "Ambergris changes rapidly on the skin, it becomes marine and leathery with milky motherly undertones, it's extremely effective as an aphrodisiac for men when a woman wears it"
    Quoted from www.profumo.it where real Ambergris can be purchased.
    Well, that's all totally new to me. Thanks very much.

I'm trying to imagine my reaction to a woman wearing GIT.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Well, that's all totally new to me. Thanks very much.

I'm trying to imagine my reaction to a woman wearing GIT.
    Renato
    I think you missed the 'natural' part in his post.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Post Thanks / Like

Live Jazz's ambergris drydown is similar to the Creed ambergris base and ambergris drydown of other fragrances like Hermes Eau des Merveilles.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Being puzzled as to what exactly ambergris smells like, I ran a search for ambergris in the Directory. This threw up the following scents that I own which are supposed to have ambergris in them.
    Pun intended? ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Madini essential oil of Ambergris. It is like an amplified Ambre Sultan, with lots of smoke. I don't know if it is made of real ambergris. But that is what it smells like. Smoke and resin.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone told me that MPG's Ambre Precioux smells like real Ambergris in the drydown (because it uses it? I dunno)
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naďve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Live Jazz's ambergris drydown is similar to the Creed ambergris base and ambergris drydown of other fragrances like Hermes Eau des Merveilles.
    Thanks, I have Live Jazz on one hand and GIT on the other trying to nut it out.
    Renato
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by akshay03 View Post
    Pun intended? ;-)
    You've surprised me. I hadn't intended that!
    Renato
    Quote Originally Posted by LuciusVorenus View Post
    I bought the Madini essential oil of Ambergris. It is like an amplified Ambre Sultan, with lots of smoke. I don't know if it is made of real ambergris. But that is what it smells like. Smoke and resin.

Thanks for that interesting input. I'll try isolate that as well from my sniffing.
    Did the "marine and leathery" description above resonate somewhat or not at all with you?
    Renato
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    Someone told me that MPG's Ambre Precioux smells like real Ambergris in the drydown (because it uses it? I dunno)
    Thanks. A Google search showed some shops claiming ambergris was in Amber Preceiux. But there's no mention of it at the MPG home page's description of the scent.
    I wonder if their claim has something to do with the comment above describing ambergris as being like Ambre Sultan? Or if it in fact does contain ambergris.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 21st April 2008 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

Eau des Merveilles is supposed to smell of ambergris, right? (if I remember correctly...)

I have this as well. It's superb. Don't really catch much marine or milky notes in there, but very smoky, leathery, ambery, and multifaceted.

For the price it couldn't be natural though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't know about the scents in your OP, Renato, but the site below gives an idea of its fragrance. Apparently, ambergris quality can vary quite a bit.

http://www.ambergris.co.nz/identification.htm
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    I don't know about the scents in your OP, Renato, but the site below gives an idea of its fragrance. Apparently, ambergris quality can vary quite a bit.

http://www.ambergris.co.nz/identification.htm
    Thanks for that most interesting link. Scented cow dung sounds weird.

Shame they don't sell it in one gram pieces, 4 grams at US$20 a gram I'm not willing to pay for - yet.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Scented Cow Dung = Whale Vomit

Post Thanks / Like

Scented Cow Dung = Whale Vomit

These should be a cinch to detect on the Live Jazz and GIT I have on my hands.
    But dammit, I can't.

Renato
    Failed Scentaholic.

Post Thanks / Like

I have three ambergris tinctures in the works right now. I would describe the smell as fecal/leather, and yes, even a bit like cow dung. From what I've read, ambergris is used more for its exalting and diffusive qualities than for its odor. I'll find out in a few months once the tinctures have reached the six month mark.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Ambergris Question

From Wikipedia: " This substance has also been used historically as a flavouring for food. The favourite dish of King Charles II of England is said to have been eggs and ambergris. "

I guess that's what happens when the Puritans behead your old man. I'll stick with eggs benedict and leave the whale vomit for Oliver Creed to bathe in. ( And yes, I like most Creeds)

A more informative link in Wiki can be found under " Fixative. "

" In perfumery, a fixative is a natural or synthetic substance used to reduce the evaporation rate, increase perceived odor strength, and improve stability when added to more volatile components. This allows the final product to last longer while keeping its original fragrance. Fixatives are indispensable commodities to the perfume industry. Some examples of fixatives are sandalwood, musk, Ambergris and orris root. Natural fixatives usually have a fragrance considered a base note, reflecting their low volatility. "

Now that's interesting, as I had previously heard the old wive's tale that ambergris has no smell of its own but makes all other scents shine forth! --A bit of an exaggeration, it would seem.

Still, does it have less smell in the base than musk? Is it THE best fixative for "perceived odor strength? " Or is it---Damn it, where's Luca Turin when we need him?

Hope the answer is in his new book.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joxer96 View Post
    I have three ambergris tinctures in the works right now. I would describe the smell as fecal/leather, and yes, even a bit like cow dung. From what I've read, ambergris is used more for its exalting and diffusive qualities than for its odor. I'll find out in a few months once the tinctures have reached the six month mark.
    That's pretty interesting, thanks.

What exactly are tinctures and what are they used for? I have no idea.
    Renato
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    From Wikipedia: " This substance has also been used historically as a flavouring for food. The favourite dish of King Charles II of England is said to have been eggs and ambergris. "

I guess that's what happens when the Puritans behead your old man. I'll stick with eggs benedict and leave the whale vomit for Oliver Creed to bathe in. ( And yes, I like most Creeds)

A more informative link in Wiki can be found under " Fixative. "

" In perfumery, a fixative is a natural or synthetic substance used to reduce the evaporation rate, increase perceived odor strength, and improve stability when added to more volatile components. This allows the final product to last longer while keeping its original fragrance. Fixatives are indispensable commodities to the perfume industry. Some examples of fixatives are sandalwood, musk, Ambergris and orris root. Natural fixatives usually have a fragrance considered a base note, reflecting their low volatility. "

Now that's interesting, as I had previously heard the old wive's tale that ambergris has no smell of its own but makes all other scents shine forth! --A bit of an exaggeration, it would seem.

Still, does it have less smell in the base than musk? Is it THE best fixative for "perceived odor strength? " Or is it---Damn it, where's Luca Turin when we need him?

Hope the answer is in his new book.

Cheers,

Mario
    That was most informative Mario. Thanks for adding to this knowedge base.

But can I read between the lines and take it that you have a hard time detecting exactly which note ambergris is, in the same way that I can't?
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 21st April 2008 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

Renato, we had an extended discussion on this early this year. You will find these searching for whole threads on amber and ambergris. The trouble is, people from the industry and marketers have used the terms ambergris and amber when they meant amber. Some continue to do so even today. If you know Eau d'Hermes you get an idea what ambergris could perhaps smell of. It isn't actually used for smell, but for substance and enrichment of the fragrant parts. I think only a few Creed perfumes contained real or synthetic ambergris, and what they call the house smell (a vanillic-ambery dry down) is achieved with amber. Amber itself is a specific mix of resins from the Maghreb and other regions in Northern Africa. There is not just one smell but they are similar enough to recognize them. Amber isn't expensive, ambergris however is. Smells vary considerably.

<<Ambergris : It's characteristic odor , rich and marine, is attained only after years of floating in the sun. Synthetic A. substitutes are more often used, being cheaper and more reliable, but they smell nothing like the natural material.>> Luca Turin, Perfumes:The Guide, p. 367
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Renato, we had an extended discussion on this early this year. You will find these searching for whole threads on amber and ambergris. The trouble is, people from the industry and marketers have used the terms ambergris and amber when they meant amber. Some continue to do so even today. If you know Eau d'Hermes you get an idea what ambergris could perhaps smell of. It isn't actually used for smell, but for substance and enrichment of the fragrant parts. I think only a few Creed perfumes contained real or synthetic ambergris, and what they call the house smell (a vanillic-ambery dry down) is achieved with amber. Amber itself is a specific mix of resins from the Maghreb and other regions in Northern Africa. There is not just one smell but they are similar enough to recognize them. Amber isn't expensive, ambergris however is. Smells vary considerably.

<<Ambergris : It's characteristic odor , rich and marine, is attained only after years of floating in the sun. Synthetic A. substitutes are more often used, being cheaper and more reliable, but they smell nothing like the natural material.>> Luca Turin, Perfumes:The Guide, p. 367
    Thanks Narcus.

I've been smelling Live Jazz and GIT all day long from the earlier posting, and almost had my convinced I had this ambergris question sorted out in my nose and mind. But the information in your post now throws the whole issue wide open again.

So when some people here say certain Creed scents are just another ambergris construction/variation, are they really referring to the amber or to the ambergris?

Unfortunately, I've never laid eyes on Eau d'Hermes but I know a shop which may carry it.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. A Google search showed some shops claiming ambergris was in Amber Preceiux. But there's no mention of it at the MPG home page's description of the scent.
    I wonder if their claim has something to do with the comment above describing ambergris as being like Ambre Sultan? Or if it in fact does contain ambergris.
    Renato
    The SL and MPG offerings are very similar in the dry down I have found - though, of course, the SL is more powdery-spicy while the MPG is more creamy.

Both, I suspect, have healthy doses of real Ambergris.

Creed's dry down is Ambergris as well, too, but its character is slightly different undoubtedly due to the other parts of the base notes.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naďve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Madini Ambar-Gris is a kickass scent smelling nothing at all like real ambergris.

Real ambergris tincture (a low dilution of the raw material in high proof alcohol) does have a mild scent but is/was used primarily for effect, not for its own scent. It will exalt a fragrance at a very low percentage in formula - no need to use it in "healthy doses" and even a tiny dose is now considered cost prohibitive by most of commercial perfumery.

In general, a list of notes will indicate what the fragrance aspires to smell like, not what it actually contains.

Post Thanks / Like

Renato,

An ambergris tincture is prepared by letting the ambergris soak in alcohol or oil for a length of time. The resulting product is then used as an ingredient in a perfume formula. I've been soaking the ambergris for about two months now, six months is supposed to be the earliest one can start using the tincture. Supposedly the tincture gets better and better with age.

Renato,

An ambergris tincture is prepared by letting the ambergris soak in alcohol or oil for a length of time. The resulting product is then used as an ingredient in a perfume formula. I've been soaking the ambergris for about two months now, six months is supposed to be the earliest one can start using the tincture. Supposedly the tincture gets better and better with age.
    joxer96,

how much ambergris to alcohol should you use to make such a tincture?

An ambergris tincture is prepared by letting the ambergris soak in alcohol or oil for a length of time.
    Soaking, do you mean that it hasn't dissolved? It should dissolve.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Post Thanks / Like

For Renato:

The New Perfume Handbook

By Nigel Groom

details
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Renato,

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know people were into this sort of thing.
    Regards,
    Renato
    For Renato:

The New Perfume Handbook

By Nigel Groom

details
    Now that's an interesting read.
    How do you find such resources?
    Thanks,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 22nd April 2008 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

Now that's an interesting read.
    How do you find such resources?
    Thanks,
    Renato
    It was a fairly late discovery from the last time Amber and Ambergris were discussed (in two separate threads). Google, I guess. Sometimes it helps to ask for the same information in another language. I wish I knew Italian, too.
    Something else: as a New West lover - did you know that this fragrance wrote history? (Calone) Turin talks about it on Boston Radio.
    Last edited by narcus; 22nd April 2008 at 01:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Domingo, I have three different concentrations: 3&#37;, 5%, and 7%.

dcampen, yeah, the ambergris is dissolved. I ground it up a bit before adding to the alcohol. At this point it has turned into a very fine silt.

Domingo, I have three different concentrations: 3%, 5%, and 7%.

dcampen, yeah, the ambergris is dissolved. I ground it up a bit before adding to the alcohol. At this point it has turned into a very fine silt.
    Thanks. But just to be sure, you mean like for example: 3cc ambergris to 97cc alcohol and so on? Or different?

Post Thanks / Like

It was a fairly late discovery from the last time Amber and Ambergris were discussed (in two separate threads). Google, I guess. Sometimes it helps to ask for the same information in another language. I wish I knew Italian, too.
    Something else: as a New West lover - did you know that this fragrance wrote history? (Calone) Turin talks about it on Boston Radio.
    Yes - but only because someone else mentioned it here recently, or I wouldn't have known.

Yet no one says "Uhhhgg - it's soooo synthetic" about it and other Calone scents, when plainly it must be predominantly synthetic. But people will often say exactly that about scents which are far less synthetic.
    Renato