Code of Conduct

Default What scent is for reading Sufi poetry and asking yourself metaphysical questions?

For certain, it must not be something light but deep, as deep as Andaman sea. And what is that scent? The scent to wear when you fall deeply in your thoughts alone, in a quiet room, with an amber light on. You might be in a brooding facial expression, or in a stone face, showing no mood at all, yet deep inside of you is overfilled with difficult questions for you are at a crossroads of your life.

Ungaro III for me does not work. It almost worked actually, but, perhaps, the rose note constructed the high hurdle. Zino was beside Ungaro III, not dark and complex enough. Please recommend me a very dark one, but not too heavy to wear to bed. Niche scents are welcome, but please focus on ones available online, or by the house of Serge Lutens would be great. Sorry for this question, but really, I'm at a crossroads, like Britney Spears was at once.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Default Re: What scent is for reading Sufi poetry and asking yourself metaphysical questions?

Simple, a high quality Oud.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Default Re: What scent is for reading Sufi poetry and asking yourself metaphysical questions?

Yes, a good oud -- no doubt about it.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Ambre SULTAN. But it isn't light... unless you apply VERY liberally.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Thanks for your fast replies. I have searched for Oud and found this:
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Oud-Perfum...Tree&id=321979

This sounds exactly what I want.

Quote from the source above, "Oud now comes from India, Vietnam, China, Cambodia, Indonesia and the Philippines..." I wonder why Thailand is not listed, very sad, indeed.

Well, does Ambre Sultan contain Oud? There is no notes listed in the directory.

One more good read -- http://www.arabianoud.com/en02/story.asp
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I would say these are your essentials:
    Rose. You need this for Sufi reading and meditation. It's one of the most important symbols in that realm.
    Oudh.
    Amber.
    Opium. As far as I know (and sccording to our directory), there's only one fragrance with an opium note in it and that's Fiore d'Ambra by Profumum. I've tested it and it's good with some bittterness in addition to the amber.
    Although not commonly used in Islamic prayer and meditation (on which sufism was origianlly based), incense and myrrh might help with their meditative qualitities.
    BTW, who are you reading if you don't mind sharing.
    RM

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    I would say these are your essentials:
    Rose. You need this for Sufi reading and meditation. It's one of the most important symbols in that realm.
    Oudh.
    Amber.
    Opium. As far as I know (and sccording to our directory), there's only one fragrance with an opium note in it and that's Fiore d'Ambra by Profumum. I've tested it and it's good with some bittterness in addition to the amber.
    Although not commonly used in Islamic prayer and meditation (on which sufism was origianlly based), incense and myrrh might help with their meditative qualitities.
    BTW, who are you reading if you don't mind sharing.
    RM
    Thanks for more info. I'm naturally interested in amber, and now have found myself lost in oud (noggs gave me some samples).

Growing up in Thailand, I have associated with incense a lot, both in Thai and Chinese temples, including Indian temple on Silom road. Lighted incense represents mysticism to me, especially aromatic ones. I love it, although its smoke jerks my tears at times.

About Sufi poetry, I'm about to read Rumi's works, and also interested in The Conference of the Birds by Farid ud-Din Attar. I was once good at writing poetry, had some published, and then was taken away from it by busyness.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Oud seems like a good suggestion, but I would also think Villoresi's Sandalo worthy:

From the ancient Indian tradition.
    A rich and warm base of sandalwood of Mysore. The tender embrace
    of arboreal sap. Outcomes of Rose, Opoponax and Guaiacwood.
    Balsamic and Tree-moss nuances.

Top Note
    Rosewood, Lavender, Petitgrain, Orange, Lemon
    Middle Note
    Labdanum, Bulgarian rose, Neroli, Sandalwood
    Base Note
    Sandalwood, Vetiver, Amber, Opoponax, Oakmoss

http://www.lorenzovilloresi.it/IDL10...aGenerica.aspx

It's the most meditative fragrance I know. Serious and beautiful.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Guerlain's Vol de Nuit extract is deep, austere-dark and spicy. It's perfect for those contemplative evenings.

Something fragrant for reading Sufi poetry; A Fragrance to dance with the subtle Inner Breezes...

A Perfume that sings while Inner and Outer dissolve...

A Congratulation of beckoning Perfect Silence....

In The Timeless Space between No question and No answer...

From a point beyond the Presence of Presence , ringing with the Glorious Joy of the Absence of Absence....... Voleur De Roses calls.....

The one and only - Arabia (The Sufi Perfume) found at www.profumo.it

the_good_life, what a beautiful recommendation! Villoresi had visited the Middle East, and this does confirm I'd get the Arabian feel out of this creation.

Mr. Guerlain, what else could it be if not a scent from Guerlain! I wear Jicky today, and found it short-lived. Perhaps, my hand wasn't heavy enough while applying. Shed me some light on this fine scent's longevity, please.

Guidion, beautiful reply--another niche scent. Will jot it down.

Well, can anyone tell me what this web site is originally from? I don't understand the language on the top right. They stole my poem written in 2001 for WTC.
    http://www.iskenderiye.com/eng/poetr...p?sirano=47733
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    I wear Jicky today, and found it short-lived. Perhaps, my hand wasn't heavy enough while applying. Shed me some light on this fine scent's longevity, please.
    Well not sure why, but on me all four concentrations of Jicky last for ages - almost unwashable! It's not the Bangkokian climate killing it? When I'm in BKK, ALL my Guerlain's vanish in 5 minutes - therefore I've stopped bringing when I'm there (have family there, that's why I'm often there).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Well not sure why, but on me all four concentrations of Jicky last for ages - almost unwashable! It's not the Bangkokian climate killing it? When I'm in BKK, ALL my Guerlain's vanish in 5 minutes - therefore I've stopped bringing when I'm there (have family there, that's why I'm often there).
    Opps, I never knew this that you have come here and have a family here. How cool!

About Jicky, I have been indoors all day, in an air-conditioned room. My only guess is that I didn't apply enough. Will try again later. But for L'instant Extreme, with 1 spray, it lasts on me more than 10 hours.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    I wear Jicky today, and found it short-lived. Perhaps, my hand wasn't heavy enough while applying. Shed me some light on this fine scent's longevity, please.
    I have the Jicky Parfum Extrait as a splash, and I've had similar longevity issues. So, I decided to decant it into an atomizer and the problem is solved, a full day of Jicky! Unfortunately, I've gone through my bottle too quickly now.
    As far as an introspective scent, May I suggest Diptyque's Eau Lente. It's basically pure opoponax (sweet myrhh), with cinnamon top notes that quickly burn off, leaving a natural and richly sweet resin on your skin. Simply perfect.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 20th April 2008 at 06:55 PM.

Turgut A. Akter is a turkish poet, famous for writing modern sufi poems. His sufic lineage, from his mother's side goes back to the times and teachings of Jalalu'ddin Rumi (1207-1275). Just last week I bought his book with the title of 'In the temple of my dreams'. Let my copy here one sufi poem from it, with some connections to the question:

Incredible

the birds are singing
    the dove is flying
    the flowers are scenting the air

your hands are moving
    the clay is forming
    the spirits are unfolding you in everything you touch

i am thrown a fire
    burning the darkness
    moving so slow and bright in this magical fair

the birds are singing
    the dove is purring
    my heart is observing you in the air

my eyes are dripping
    your cups are filling
    in nourishing your object engulfing me in everything i see

we are gathered
    working in this beautiful magical mysterious fair
    it is incredible

Burning, smoke and flowers, darkness and tears dripping, magical fair - and Serge Lutens. Of the ones I know it is Fumerie Turque.

For contemplatings things metaphysical, 2 good possibilities:

1. Mazzolari Lui
    2. Regina Harris Frankincense Myrrh Rose Maroc [fragrance oil]

For me the Oudh isn't as important as the other components.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Basenotes Institution

I must agree with the above recomendations for pure aoud oils.

I smelled one for the first time a couple weeks ago and it's almost like wearing incense on your skin. Quite piercing, transformative, meditative, pervasive...incredible stuff. The brand I tested was from Oriscent.

I dabbed 0.0001 ml of Arabian Oud Sirai to bed last night, and I agreed with mikeperez23 that it was like wearing incense on skin. I woke up several times during the night and caught a whiff of it. What a wonderful oil is this, so long lasting with just a very small amount.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

L'Air du Desert Marocain
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

Sometimes when I want to read sufi poems of Rumi (Mowlana Jalaledin Balkhi) or Hafiz, I wear "M7 Fresh".
    When I want to read other kind of poems or reading generally; I wear "Fleur Du Male", "L'ceour" by Divine and "Grey Flannel".

Lavender makes me feel contemplative. So Creed Royal Scottish Lavender.

Salvatore Ferragamo PH
    Tumulte

I think Rumi or Hafiz would answer: rose attar or pure oud oil.
    Currently digging: Le Labo Rose 31 and Oud oils.

I'm loving pure oud oil. It's just simply beautiful.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto