Code of Conduct

Default Jo Malone's Kohdo Wood Collection

I first read about this line on the front page of BN a couple of weeks ago.

This new limited edition line from Jo Malone is due for release on 1st May. I got my hands on a couple of samples yesterday. The line is supposed to be inspired by the ancient Japanese Incense Ceremony (Kohdo).

There are 2 fragrances in the collection, Kohdo Wood Day which is Lotus Blossom and Water Lily. Kohdo Night is Dark Amber and Ginger Lily. According to the literature, the Day is supposed to contain some Aloeswood along with mandarin and bamboo, and the Night is supposed to have cardamom, orchid and Kyara wood.

Now I don't know if they are trying to confuse people, but Kyara and Aloeswood are the same thing, although Kyara is a higher quality of Aloeswood.

Anyway, I sprayed one on my left hand and one on my right hand. With both of them, I got a pleasant slightly floral, non threatening scent that seemed to last longer than JM's colognes usually last on me.

Alas, I couldn't detect even the faintest whiff of either Aloeswood or Kyara. Perhaps the completed juice was waved over a box of Aloeswood in the hope that it might catch some of the aroma.

I did feel disapointed with both of these. Being a lover of Kohdo, I felt let down that I couldn't see where the connection was between these fragrances and Japanese Incense.

http://www.jomalone.co.uk/site.nsf/c...owood?readform

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Jo Malone's Kohdo Wood Collection

I smelled these at Bloomingdales Saturday also - the bottles were not in stock, but they had testers and they were taking pre-orders.

I liked the Amber, but I didn't spray it on my skin. I will have to test again soon. I did NOT like the Ginger Lily.

I understand your disappointment Prince Barry - I also feel like these are not very representative of Japanese Kohdo incense either.

Default Re: Jo Malone's Kohdo Wood Collection

I thought the Lotus Blossom & Water Lily might smell good layered with Hermes Un Jardin sur le Nil, a unisex scent with subtle lotus and green mango notes.
    Last edited by beachroses; 22nd April 2008 at 04:29 AM.