Code of Conduct

Default Calling Caron experts re: L'Impact de PuH

I asked for a sample from Caron and received it in 5 days! The only fragrance house that ever responded to me by actually sending me something. I love, LOVE them. Have worn PuH since I was a little child.
    So I've tested L'Impact. The general descriptions are accurate in that it moves more quickly into the ambry base notes. But the lavendar is still there.
    My question is really regarding the concentration and the longevity. Caron claims this is parfum strength. The card of the sample says "88.3% vol." Doesn't that make the oil concentration just under 12%? Barely an EDP?
    I would still gladly buy it except it's US$250.00 at 100 ml. The only size it comes in.
    Your opinions and experiences would be appreciated.
    Also, I'd really like to learn how to pronounce the word "L'Impact" properly.
    Thank you
    RM

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Calling Caron experts re: L'Impact de PuH

RM,
    The percentage value of the alcohol corresponds to the purity of the alcohol used, not to the percentage of alcohol in the entire mix. You'll see some edcs saying they're 70% alcohol, for example, and it doesn't mean that the rest is oils. I'm pretty sure it means that the rest of the alcohol used is water, as a mater of fact.

My source is the Web site of the American Society of Perfumers, www.perfumers.org, which says the following about the difference between edc, edt, and other concentrations:

"Eau de Cologne, Eau de Toilette and Eau de Parfum are all alcoholic solutions of fragrance oils. They differ in the percentage of fragrance oil, and the grade of alcohol. An EDT is a 6-15% solution of fragrance oil in an 80% grade of alcohol. Eau de Cologne is a 3-6% solution of fragrance oil in a 70% grade alcohol. An Eau de Parfum usually contains 15-25% fragrance oil in pure ethyl alcohol. (The grade of alcohol denotes the % of alcohol to water.) "

The T at the end of Impact is pronounced. The IM is a nasal sound of which it's hard to find a duplicate in English, but doesn't exactly pronouce the M as English speakers do. It would be this nasal IM followed pretty accurately with "pact." Ehhhmmm-pact, maybe.

PuH is great stuff. I've got a sample of it too and will need wear them both soon.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thank you for the thorough and useful info, as always.
    Given the facts, then I can say that whatever they call it, the concentration seems very weak. This may also explain the **relatively** low price per ounce (for a parfum). The problem is the size of the bottle.
    BUT...one of these days, I know I'll get it--there's no choice. It's Caron. How can I not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    Thank you for the thorough and useful info, as always.
    Given the facts, then I can say that whatever they call it, the concentration seems very weak. This may also explain the **relatively** low price per ounce (for a parfum). The problem is the size of the bottle.
    BUT...one of these days, I know I'll get it--there's no choice. It's Caron. How can I not?
    there's loads of Impact on ebay Germany right now, including 30ml bottles
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.