Code of Conduct

Thread: SotM April 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default SotM April 2008

Here we go with the second SotM for April 2008. This has been a very busy month here in the accounting department of Basenotes. Not only did we have to file our taxes but we had to keep track of this lively community. How lively? Here is the raw data:

3,317 total posts for April up from 2,853 in March, a 16% increase!
    1,115 different scents mentioned up from 937 in March, a 19% increase!
    590 scents worn only once up from 498 in March, an 18% increase!
    17.8% individuality rating for April up from 17.4% in March
    If you include the totals for scents worn two, three or four times then the individuality index rises to 44.6% up from 43.4% in March.
    That is an astounding and consistent amount of diversity. When this community, over the course of a month, wears almost half of its scents less than once a week. Pretty amazing to me.
    Also pretty lively. One reason the numbers are up is I think you all know Iím watching and so you are more diligent about posting your SotD for me to count. Thatís good because the more data we get the more valid the trends that we spot.
    The top 10 has shown quite a bit of stability as seven of the fragrances from the top 10 in March are in the top 10 in April. If this continues to hold up over the next few months we are going to have an answer to what the most popular scents of this community are. Based on two months of sampling there are some clear front-runners.
    First and foremost, Terre DíHermes. I think this is just the perfect storm of a scent. It was well reviewed by the perfume blogosphere. It is easily obtainable for less than $50/bottle. It can be worn in any season by any age. I would be surprised once the wardrobes are back up and running if Terre DíHermes isnít the one scent in the most wardrobes. It might not be anyoneís number one scent but it looks like everyone has it and finds time to wear it.
    Guerlain places three: Heritage and Vetiver from last month which is joined by Habit Rouge.
    Creed also places three: Green Irish Tweed, Bois du Portugal and Original Vetiver.
    The remaining four have two holdovers from March in Dior Homme and Czech & Speake #88 along with two newcomers; Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur and Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme.
    Without further preamble here is the top 10 for April 2008:
    1.) Terre Dí Hermes 66 wears (2.0%)
    2.) Guerlain Vetiver 51 wears (1.5%)
    3.) Creed Bois du Portugal 34 wears (1.0%)
    4.) Creed Green Irish Tweed 25 wears (0.8%)
    4.) Dior Homme 25 wears (0.8%)
    6.) Guerlain Habit Rouge 25 wears (0.8%)
    7.) Guerlain Heritage 24 wears (0.7%)
    8.) Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme 23 wears (0.7%)
    9.) Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur 22 wears (0.7%)
    10.) Creed Original Vetiver 21 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Czech & Speake #88 21 wears (0.6%)

Just bubbling outside of the top 10, all within two wears of making the top 10 were: Guerlain LíInstant pour Homme, Yves St. Laurent Kouros, Montale Black Aoud, Narciso Rodriguez for Him, Thierry Mugler Cologne, and Yves St. Laurent M7.
    There you go Basenoters the complete story for April.
    You keep wearing Ďem and Iíll keep counting Ďem.
    Have a well-fragranced week.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SotM April 2008

These stats are simply brilliant. Thank you so much for all your effort. Fascinating stuff.

ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Post Thanks / Like

This has become one of my favorite parts of Basenotes!

It will be interesting to see how all of this changes with the advent of the combined SotD thread.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's funny...my interest in posting my SOTD has kind of waned in the past couple months. I JUST saw the SOTD board & I think that's really cool. I'll be posting my SOTD once again .

And...something funny...I think Terre d'Hermes was my personal most-worn frag in April .
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Post Thanks / Like

How do you do it??!!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan