Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need your advice, plz

Since it is my first post on this great board, i have to say to start with that i enjoy this site a lot. I ve been reading your posts and or reviews for a month now, and learned a lot.

I m totally addict to fragrance for one or two month, and have started my own little collection.

About me, I m 28, lawyer, and going out quite often.

This is what i bought last month, with my rating about it so you can know a bit more of my tastes.

Cartier Déclaration (8/10) ; Habit Rouge (7.5/10) ; Chanel pour Monsieur (7.5/10) ; Givenchy Very Irresistable Fresh Attitude (7/10) ; Burberry for Men (former London, silver cap) (8/10) ; Terre d'Hermès (8/10) ; Bulgari Aqua Marine (7/10) ; Versace Man (purple bottle) (5/10) ; Versace Dreamer (7.5/10) ; YSL Rive Gauche (8/10)

Now, eventually ^^ my question :

I m gonna buy a few more tomorrow, and since i live in Switzerland i can n ot find most of the delicate (but rare ?) fragrances you often speak about, i pretty much have so far to stay in very well-known Brands (YSL; GUcci Chanel etc.) to be sure to find what i want.

Now i would like you to tell me what you would recommand me as a must, in those "famous brands" for my next buys ???
    I want at least one or two for nights (clubbing or dinning ) and one or two for summer for my job (i wear a suit every day fyi)

A few I was thinking about :

D & G : by Man or Pour Homme,
    Guerlain : Mouchoir or L'instant or Héritage
    YSL : M7 or Jazz (i tried live jazz and loved it, might also add it on the list)
    Ungaro III.
    Rochas, don t know which one yet, 2 or 3 seems very promising from your reviews.

If you can tell me what you would recommend me in this list and / or which "huge" fragrance i m forgetting, would help me a lot, since i m still just another newbie ^^

Btw, sorry for my bad English, hopefully it will get better by posting on this board.

Edit, forgot to add that for me Sillage and longevity are very important. Thanks !

Alex.
    Last edited by Roc_Xel; 21st April 2008 at 02:24 PM.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need your advice, plz

Welcome Alex!

You have a very good home-grown talent producing and distributing fragrances globally from right there in Switzerland!
    Andy Tauer is a Swiss perfumer who has some exceptionally good scents! The most revered of which is "L'air du Desert Marocain". http://tauerperfumes.com/
    You can read some reviews in the directory about this, and some of his other scents.

Terre d'Hermés by Hermés should be accessible to you also - it makes a very nice "all rounder" scent which is appropriate for day or night, office or home.

We hope to hear more from you, and enjoy more of your input. Welcome once again!

Post Thanks / Like

Thx Dimitri !

I ll try l'air du desert marocain for sure, looks great. Never heard about this perfumer, will give it a try for sure.

For Terre d Hermes, great advice imho, but i have it already in my collection

And as you can see i rated it as one of my highest, i love the fact that you can wear it for work or for going out, and great longevity as well ...
    And yeah all of these well known brands are easily accessible.

Any more advice is very welcome !

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Basenotes Alex!

Specifically for work during the summer, some suggestions would be:

YSL Live Jazz (as you already mentioned)
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Guerlain Imperiale
    Hermes Eau d'Orange Vert
    Mugler Cologne
    YSL M7 Fresh
    YSL L'Homme
    Acqua di Parma Colonia

For going out, some suggestions would be:

YSL M7 (as you already mentioned)
    Ungaro III (as you already mentioned)
    YSL Kouros
    Dior Homme
    Rochas Lui
    Gucci PH I
    Gucci Envy

If you can find D&G by Man at a reasonable price, get it. It has been discontinued and is very hard to find (unless you want to pay an exhorbitant price).

Guerlain Heritage is a classic, and would be perfect in any wardrobe.

As always, please try to test everything before purchasing.

Good luck and happy shopping!

Joe
    Last edited by petruccijc; 21st April 2008 at 07:35 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post

For Terre d Hermes, great advice imho, but i have it already in my collection
    Alex - right you are! My apologies for the speed-read

YSL L'Homme is another nice scent for the summertime - can carry you seamlessly from office to evening. Worthy of a look for sure!
    Take a look also at Narciso Rodriguez For Him (4th bottle in my signature)... a nice bold, commanding fougere for evening.

D.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 21st April 2008 at 02:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Considering your location and likes I would recommend:

For evening and clubbing:
    Guerlain L'instant/Heritage, Ungaro III, or YSL/M7

For daytime:
    YSL Jazz.
    Last edited by silverbullet; 21st April 2008 at 03:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thx a lot for the answers, very helpful.

Will try for sure some of the guerlaiin stuff, specially Heritage.

Ungaro III for sure, also from the reviews looks just great. I love YSL so i ll try M7 and Jazz, review of l'Homme did not impress me but i might giv e it a try as well. Already tried Live Jazz, it was just great on my skin. Not a huge sillage but an amazing longevity, specially for a "fresh" one.

Petruccijc, from which brand is acqua di parma ? Name sounds great ^^

Dimitri i wwonder if i can find Narciso Rodriguez , never saw it so far. If i can i ll try it as well.

Last thing, no one spoke abbout D & G pour Homme, is it worth it ? And what about Mouchoir de Guerlain ?

I like Dior homme (sample) but does not last enough imo.

Post Thanks / Like

though you are trying to stay away from Chanel, i highly reccomend Egoiste(not Platinum Egoiste). I would also reccomend YSL L'Homme, Vera Wang for men, and Bulgari pour homme...The Egoiste is class in a bottle...i wouldnt wear it to court unless you want the Judge eating from your hand...that might be a good thing, no? YSL, Vera Wang and Bulgari are all good day-to0day frags that would also work well in either a court room setting or a nite club...Vera Wang is amazing simply put. YSL is sexy as hell and bulgari pour homme will garner many compliments from everyone-men and women...the best way to desvribe it is soapy man musk. By the way, you have very good taste in frags, as your collection is very well selected!
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post
    Thx a lot for the answers, very helpful.

Will try for sure some of the guerlaiin stuff, specially Heritage.

Ungaro III for sure, also from the reviews looks just great. I love YSL so i ll try M7 and Jazz, review of l'Homme did not impress me but i might giv e it a try as well. Already tried Live Jazz, it was just great on my skin. Not a huge sillage but an amazing longevity, specially for a "fresh" one.

Petruccijc, from which brand is acqua di parma ? Name sounds great ^^

Dimitri i wwonder if i can find Narciso Rodriguez , never saw it so far. If i can i ll try it as well.

Last thing, no one spoke abbout D & G pour Homme, is it worth it ? And what about Mouchoir de Guerlain ?

I like Dior homme (sample) but does not last enough imo.
    Acqua di Parma is the fragrance maker. Colonia is the name of the fragrance. It was created in 1916, so it has been around for a long time. It is a classic.

They also have released 2 newer, modern versions of the fragrance - Colonia Assoluta and Colonia Intensa.

http://www.acquadiparma.com/acquadiparma.aspx
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

You have a great collection already, and the ones you have selected for future purchase are also excellent. From your list, I'd go for L'Instant, M7 and Ungaro III.

Heritage is v v good also, but you have Habit Rouge and Chanel PM, both quite formal old style frags, so I think the above 3 offer you a bit more variety in your wardrobe.

Live Jazz would work well for outdoors on hot summer days, as would Terre d'Hermès and Bulgari Aqua Marine. That said, I can't imagine Switzerland getting BOILING HOT during summer (correct me if i'm worng) so I think things like L'Instant and Ungaro III would work fine in a summer suit in an air conditioned environment, as would Cartier Déclaration, Chanel pour Monsieur, Terre d'Hermès, Bulgari Aqua Marine and YSL Rive Gauche.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Post Thanks / Like

You seem to like masculine scents. I recommend...

-Guerlain Heritage
    -Guerlain L'Instant Extreme
    -Rochas Lui
    -YSL M7
    -Zino Davidoff

Good luck in finding new scents!
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Alex!

I'd recommend YSL M7 and Gucci Pour Homme! Both very special, imo.

Enjoy!

Alex :-)

Post Thanks / Like

well since you like the Cartier Declaration...may i suggest Nikos - Sculpture, Eau de Lalique

your second love it seems is the Rive Gauche - you may also give the ST Dupont Noir, Kouros Body and Kenzo Air a try...

please note that there is no similarity in the smell...i think anyone who appreciates declaration and RG would also appreciate those mentionead above..

Post Thanks / Like

OMG this board quite simply rox my sox.

You guys confused me, my list is way too long now ^^ .

_i m going to have some kind of "compulsive" buying

Thx a lot anyway, i m leaving to madrid tomorrow, airport duty free here i come

I ll post saturday what i ve bought (probably 2-3 when i go and 2-3 when i come back , duty free ftw !)

M7 seems a must for most of you, same goes with Guerlain, specially heritage and l instant. Will buy both i guess ^^

I m also going to buy (after having tested it on skin) Ungaro III. seems great.

From the reviews Rochas seem very very interesting as well, the 3 of it imo. I ll have to test on my skin and will pick at least one Rochat as well.

Thx also for the Vera Wang suggestion, would never have though of it alone. Will try to test it if i can. About Egoiste, had one bottle of the normal one and one of the platinum as well. Unfortunately, both are empty since it was before my fragrance "caprice" ^^ . I have to say i loved them both, specially the normal one. I forgot to say i finally have in my collection Chanel Allure . Like it a lot (8 or 8.5/10) .

Finally to answer the guy who posted on 1st page, i m in geneva, what means not in the mountains, so in summer it is between 25 to 32 Celsius more or less
    Last edited by Roc_Xel; 21st April 2008 at 08:12 PM.

Can you order samples? I'm a huge advocate of them for several reasons:
    1. They can help you decide which colognes you love and which ones you merely like.
    2. Sampling in a store before purchasing prevents you from exploring the middle and base notes since you only have time to experience the top notes.
    3. You may not adore a product on first try, yet fall in love on the second or third try. Because you can get three or more applications out of a sample, you'll have more time to determine if a fragrance really grabs you.
    4. Samples are the antidote to bad blind buys.
    5. If you are torn between two similar fragrances, you can use samples on alternating days to determine which one deserves your hard earned money.

M7 Fresh may be another one to try due to its flexibility as a day or night scent.

Your ratings suggest that you don't have a preference between older and newer scents. Is that true? You must have some sort of preference.
    Last edited by studdg; 21st April 2008 at 08:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, interesting question ..

It s true that so far, i don t have preferences regarding the older or newer.

This is also because since i m new, i want to have very diversified stuff, something from everything, old, new, fresh, heavy, etc. etc.

If you take two of my little collection, i love Habit Rouge, specially for the fall, but i love Terre d Hermès for other occasions.

I want a bit of everything to start with (for the ~ 25 - 30 first bottle) .

Then i ll go probably more in a chosen direction

Post Thanks / Like

I'd recommend :

YSl L'Homme, Paul Smith London, Chanel Allure Homme Sport and both of the Egoistes'.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Also try Shiseido Basala, Salvatore Feragamo PH, Givenchy Monsieur, Pi, Xerius and Xerius Rouge, Rochas Lui, DG Masculine, Lancome Miracle