Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: SHould we ban all future Kouros posts?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I’m tired of reading about that damn frag!

16 19.75%
  • No. For better or worse, Kouros is too powerful to ignore!

50 61.73%
  • What is this Kouros you speak of, and what kind sir might send me a sample?

5 6.17%
  • Kouros? I though you said churros. Mmmm, churros! (slobberslobberdrool)

10 12.35%
    Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Default Kouros: Can we ban all future threads on it?

Since March, we have had five threads that either say, "I like it!" "I hate it!" or "I don't get it!" A search comes up with 128 threads that have Kouros in the title (129 now, damnit!). For sake of comparison, Angel has 70 threads and Green Irish Tweed has only 31 threads (and half of those are probably about Green Frich Tweed).

I get it. Some of you think it smells like god's sweat, some of you think it smells like sweaty cat pee and never the twain shall meet. Is there any reason to use up valuable bandwidth by continuing to rehash the same opinions? I say it's time to move on.

Fellow basenoters, I hereby move that we ban all future threads on Kouros and instead just put up a sticky that links to selected previous postings.

Do I hear a second?

P.S. Yes, I've tried it. No, I'm not going to tell you what I think, because, who cares?

Adden-dumb: This is half in jest, so relax and have some fun with it. Personally, I think we should ban posts on any and all fragrances. We don't want basenotes to become known as the fragrance community, do we?
    Last edited by dpak; 21st April 2008 at 05:07 PM. Reason: because apparently my writing is too subtle and people are taking it seriously

Default Re: Kouros: Can we ban all future threads on it?

Had to check option 2: No. For better or worse, Kouros is too powerful to ignore!
    ...as there was no option 5: No, but we SHOULD ban all future threads on CREED *yawn*.

For the benefit of all who come after us, the argument should continue!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

It's like any other group of threads that pop up all at once... just ignore them if you don't want to read about their topic. That is what I, and many other members, have to do daily.

If I voted yes then would this thread have to be banned?

I vote for churros... mmmm tasty

Hearing about Kouros makes me feel dirty. Not dirty in a kinky way, dirty in a "oh no, I stepped in some dog crap" way. I'd rather go out in public with a generous dose of MKK or Kingdom than Kouros...
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Blog Entries

why? if they did that then there'd be precedence to close threads on anything thats been discussed already...
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Had to check option 2: No. For better or worse, Kouros is too powerful to ignore!
    ...as there was no option 5: No, but we SHOULD ban all future threads on CREED *yawn*.

Yes, Option #5!

But #4 seems like the closest, so that is what I chose.

Smile Re: Kouros: Can we ban all future threads on it?

I take this as a lighthearted, fun thread and should reiterate my opinion that Kouros is an absolute masterpiece and a classic. I also always welcome all other opinions seriously.
    RM

Don't like it, don't wear it. Sick of the threads? Don't read them.
    Last edited by Aaron01; 21st April 2008 at 04:32 PM.

if I were ever in favor of banning anything, I'd go for option #5 too...

but I'm not...
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post

/Agree
    Coming from Western Australia, where AFAIK no Creeds are available to sample anywhere, I could not care less about Creed this, and creed that. To me its overpriced, overworshipped, smelly alcohol water. Why pay three times as much for something for the 'prestiege and mystery' behind it when what you can get much cheaper has just as much, if not more, appeal to it.
    On topic, I have a mini of Kouros, and while I can see some liking it, it is definately not for me.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS View Post
    If I voted yes then would this thread have to be banned?
    But then we'd be stuck in some kind of continuous paradox where we'd never know if it was or wasn't banned and >pop!< [dpak's head explodes]

All part of the fun, isn't it?

I trust the admins, no other step is neccessary whatsoever. This may be a funny question by intention, I understand, just in case someone would take it seriously...

I would make an option putting a "sticky" FAQ to deal with Creed and Kouros -

"Q: I hate/love Kouros/Creed, should I post a thread on it?
    A: If you like, but first read the following threads and post there if you want to (list of links here)"
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Option #5 sounds good to me.

We should ban Creed-bashing threads since they always emanate from those that just don't "get it" and never will.

There are many other threads I would ban first:
    1. How many sprays of X fragrance should I use?
    2. What would X wear?
    3. Creed blah blah blah
    etc. and many poorly written or ill conceived threads in general.

However, I will always defend the rights of anyone to post just about any thread they want, as long as it's fragrance related. I just ignore the ones I have no interest in, as I always have.

-Slim
    Last edited by SlimPickins; 21st April 2008 at 04:57 PM.
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Creed bashing has only intrigued me more to go ahead and try out their range....i also believe its gettign far more accessible to people and hence loosing out its charm of being exclusive to only a few...would definitely try out the MI, GIT, SMW, FV, OV, himalaya et al...

I agree, and add to the list:

Serge Luten
    Frederick Malle
    CdG
    MPG
    PdN
    Guerlain
    SMN
    Hermes
    Floris
    Penhaligon
    Montale
    Bond # 9
    Diptique
    Tom Ford
    Christian Dior
    Ormonde Jayne
    and of course, Chanel and Gucci

They are so exhausting
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

I've always found those, "We shouldn't allow this, that, or the other to be talked about" threads that regularly pop up on pretty much every message board -really- irritate me. In a 'smirk and go about my day' sort of way, not a 'genuinely experience stress in my real life' sort of way. If some dude is obsessed over Kouros, then power to them. They can sing its praises every single day for all I care. I'd probably soon get sick of it and not READ those particular posts. Either people would respond or they wouldn't. Eventually, I'm thinking he'd get tired of posting the same daily thing without feedback.

As far as the bandwidth debate -- Har! If I actually WERE pro-censorship, the first thing I'd weed out to clear bandwidth would probably be those SOTD posts. Huge chunk of posts Every Single Day regarding what fragrance other random dudes around the world are wearing. This doesn't interest me. I could also give less than a crap about 'What would (fictional character) wear?' Basically the same SOTD theme, only the 'random dude' doesn't even exist.

The point is I don't CARE that it does seem to interest other people, so I don't get all up in arms to try to stifle them. (Second on my list of pet peeves are the exhaustive links full of 'Other Threads' coupled with a condescending point at the search function. In the time AND bandwidth it takes to do a search and post the links and berate the poster, a person COULD have just as easily answered the question and NOT been an ass.)

(Hrm. My tone reads more bristly than I intend it... So let's add some smiley things. )

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    We should ban Creed-bashing threads since they always emanate from those that just don't "get it" and never will.
    We should ban threads where Creedheads verbally abuse those that don't "get it", such as Luca Turin.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron01 View Post
    Don't like it, don't wear it. Sick of the threads? Don't read them.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Like me very much the churros! With chocolate is even better! Is the food of my country!

Kouros: I have it; I hardly ever wear it; to me it does not smell like the piss of the cat, but I do not love it. Maybe I am past it, beyond it, or just too old for it.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I want to give this a full wearing now.

Blog Entries

Voted churros. I had a great churro at a local flea market on Sunday. Mmmmm.

Kouros - I don't care.

Creed - ban all mentions.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    We should ban threads where Creedheads verbally abuse those that don't "get it", such as Luca Turin.
    LOL

I guess we are not amongst the Enlightened Ones.

Oh well!!
    Last edited by ajmc; 21st April 2008 at 09:35 PM.

Kouros is a cool name. Doesn't bother me. Ha.

Even with only 500-ish posts, I've already become weary of certain thread topics - Creed, Kouros, 5-best, 10-best, what would [x] wear, what's a chick attractor, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. They're all valid topics at some level, and they're all new to visitors who haven't taken the time to read back farther than a couple of months, but it does get tiresome sometimes. How do you kilo-posters manage to keep it fresh?
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Basenotes Institution

I love churros.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Like me very much the churros! With chocolate is even better!
    Oh yes, I still remember fondly the churros I ate with thick Spanish hot chocolate in Madrid 15 years ago...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Of course not.

Do mathematicians ban the perennial discussion of Fermat's Last Theorem? No.

Well, Kouros is our perennial mystery of callolfactology. Long may its fragrance lurk.

Boiek
    Last edited by Lapishchin; 22nd April 2008 at 01:25 PM.
    BOIEK::LAPISHCHIN
    Tsar::0f::The::Samovar
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Yatagan
    Eau d'Hermès and Habit Rouge
    Eau de Rochas Homme
    Carven Vetiver
    Gucci Envy and his bad brother Le Mâle
    English Leather (Dana) and Agua Lavanda (Puig)

What's a churros? Can one get a vegetarian one? Tofuchurros?
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Oh yes, I still remember fondly the churros I ate with thick Spanish hot chocolate in Madrid 15 years ago...

Wow. That sounds de-lish. Okay, churros have my vote, too. I'm off to try to find a place that sells them, wearing Kouros, of course.

PS: I think it's great when guys say they'd never wear Kouros. That means I'm one step closer to making Kouros mine, mine, MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Waaaaahhhhhaaaaaaahaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Churros are vegetarian...unless the batter contains eggs, im no cook haha. it's basically a fried/baked piece of dough that's like 6-10 inches long, in a tube shape and 1 inch think and it's covered in sugar and cinnamon. deliciousness defined.
    Last edited by reneirwold878; 22nd April 2008 at 06:24 AM.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by reneirwold878 View Post
    Churros are vegetarian...unless the batter contains eggs, im no cook haha. it's basically a fried/baked piece of dough that's like 6-10 inches long, in a tube shape and 1 inch think and it's covered in sugar and cinnamon. deliciousness defined.
    Thanks, Reneirwold! I appreciate it very much and am now going to find some churros to eat or a recipe to make them myself.

Thanks! I'll wear Kouros while eating a churros too.

You must have Spanish hot chocolate with them, it's almost porridge-thick and you dip the churros in it. Yumsters!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reneirwold878 View Post
    Cinnamon? Gack! Not in my world.

Ingredients: (Makes one plateful)
    Vegetable or Olive Oil
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup margarine or butter
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    3 eggs
    1/4 cup sugar

Heat the oil in a deep skillet. With the other ingredients, proceed as for a p&#226;te &#224; choux (cream-puff batter): Boil water with butter and salt until all the butter is melted, add the flour and stir vigorously over low heat until it forms a ball, then add the eggs one at a time, beating continuously until you get a smooth paste. Put the mixture into a pastry bag with a large star tip, and squeeze out a few inches at a time into the hot oil. Cook about four minutes. Drain on paper towels, and sprinkle with sugar.

The eggs and butter make them not vegan, but I think many vegetarians are ovo-lacto-vegetarians. Vegans resolutely refuse any "stolen animal products," such as eggs, milk (including cheese and butter), honey, etc.

If you want to pretend that you are in Spain, you eat these with a very thick Spanish-style hot chocolate, the kind that's thickened with cornstarch.

Mmmm, &#161;sabroso!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 22nd April 2008 at 06:50 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Thanks for the recipe, jaimeb.

But you left out one vital ingredient: two spritzes of Kouros.

Basenotes members to the rescue! Thanks Jaime. Call on me when I can return the favor.

KOUROS ... will still be King of controversy well into the later parts of this century !!

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I say we make a sticky and title it "Post all Kouros comments here." This is in lieu of the already mentioned Kouros FAQ sticky.
    Last edited by atrac; 22nd April 2008 at 07:52 AM.

I don't think Kouros is discussed more than Creeds or Chanel or some others.
    And if it was stupid to discuss scents over and over, this website would not exist, it would be enough to have one article about each scent.

option six: tell me more! tell me! tell !!
    Last edited by narcus; 22nd April 2008 at 03:16 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I voted that it is too powerful to powerful to ignore.