Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Something Aquatic For The Boy

So the Boy is a fan of aquatic, smells-fresh-but-not-particularly-defined scents. When I started dating him he was wearing Mexx's Waterlove, and last year he wore Davidoff's Cool Water (which is, as an aside, not actually that prevalent on my campus- lots of new money here, so the men generally go Armani or Ferrari or some other stuff). He's also a huge fan of (but cannot afford) Acqua di Gio. They all smell amazing on him, so I don't really care that people say that Cool Water is everywhere, because in my experience, it isn't really. That's not to say that, were I out in the workforce, I wouldn't notice its ubiquity.

Anyway. When I was home for a weekend, my little sister and I went department-store sniffing. And Sears had a sale on, and I picked up a bottle of Cool Water- just because I could. I was going to hide it and give it to the Boy on an anniversary or something- it would be about the same time he ran out of Waterlove, too.

That all changed this morning. He spent the night at my place and in the morning he couldn't find his Mexx. This really upsets him because he likes smelling good... so I dug in my closet while he stood there and looked puzzled, and then I came up with the Cool Water and his face just lit up. Wide eyes, surprise, and then this cute sunshine smile that I pretty much live and die for. He said, "When?" and I told him I bought it when I was at home... made him happy.

He found his Mexx in his bag later, though. And therein lies the problem. What do I get him NOW? I was thinking I'd turn to geek toys and such all, since we're both huuuuuuge nerds (seriously, Big Bang Theory, geneticist-style), but in case I decide to go fragrance, what should I do? The Boy favours aquatics, as you may have noticed, but I'm not very good at the whole men's fragrance thing. Literally, all the aquatics I know are listed above: Waterlove, Cool Water, and Acqua di Gio.

Wherefore shall I turn, Basenoters, but to you?

Default Re: Something Aquatic For The Boy

Adolfo dominiguez - Agua Fresca...its unbeliviably fresh and clean...it'll be so hard to resist, i can bet on that..
    Last edited by jenson; 21st April 2008 at 10:27 PM.

Sur la Plage

You should be able to find Bulgari Aqua reasonably priced at most major department stores, Sephora, or on-line retailers.

Profumum Acqua di Sale would be considered more of a "niche" fragrance and more expensive and found at on-line retailers.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 21st April 2008 at 10:55 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

*wipes a tear from the left eye* snifff... that's romantic

On topic though, get the Boy a bottle of Sean John Unforgivable.. It's the cheaper also good smelling alternative to more expensive stuff like Creed's Millisime Imperiale and Bond No. 9 Wall Street. While not being EXACTLY identical, it's quite a good fragrance in itself and a nice wear for summer with it's cucumbery vibe. Good stuff.

For a purer aquatic style scent, take the Bvlgari Aqua as suggested by petruccijc above, and i'd add Herrera Aqua... it's not an aquatic scent even if its labelled as Aqua, if possible, try all of the listed scents first before buying.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I second javagreen's Creed and Sean John recommendations and would like to add Creed Erolfa to the list. If you check aroud eBay or Scentiments.com, you can find the 2.5 oz bottles for as low as 70 bucks... and worth every penny!

Don't know if it's technically aquatic, but I got Dunhill's X-Centric recently, and I really like it for what I consider all-purpose but at least slightly interesting.

I own X-Centric and now consider it gag-worthy. I did like it when I first bought it, though. Bvlgari Aqua is a great aquatic, very true to the term 'aquatic.' Another fragrance similar to Cool Water (in my opinion) is Joop! Nightflight (one in the blue bottle with stars); very fresh, lasts a long time, citrus at the top and sandalwood / almonds in the base notes.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Blog Entries

Give nautica voyage a try. i think it smells exceptional....since you both like adg give: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=196942 that thread a peak
    Last edited by reneirwold878; 22nd April 2008 at 05:53 AM.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

Ooooh, thanks guys! *starts browsing* I curse Canadian department stores for their incompetence at stocking....

Bulgari Aqva!!!

I'll also recommend Bulgari Aqua.

Since you are both, in your own words, nerdy types, and most likely somewhat intellectually inclined, you may be pleased to find that Bulgari Aqua is a bit more sophisticated, complex, and interesting than most of the typical aquatic fragrance preferred by college students.

noggs

Did someone mention Herrera Aqua, by Carolina Herrera..?

I´m not very fond of aquatics, but this one I like.

What about Givenchy Blue Label, it's more complex than Bvlgari Aqua, and I find it longer lasting of the two. However, personally, I prefer Bvlgari Aqua, for it is less woody, which suits my weather better.

Apart from this, if he had mentioned that he liked AdG, let's get Unbound by Halston for him. You can find that below $25 for a 100ml-bottle.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

We went on a department-store spree today. I pretended like I just wanted smell a lot of men's scents and we test-drove a whole bunch of things... hehehe. *sneaky* I think I might go Bulgari Aqua....

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    You should be able to find Bulgari Aqua reasonably priced at most major department stores, Sephora, or on-line retailers.
    vote no.2 for bvg aqua, doesnt get any better than that for mainstream. The Marine version is like a citrus version which to me is a cheap and lazy attempt.

Boss aqua elements is not too bad, just a tad sweeter than most marine scents.

Creed Erolfa is the only aquatic I will ever need.

I second the Erolfa, no other comes close.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    What about Givenchy Blue Label, it's more complex than Bvlgari Aqua, and I find it longer lasting of the two. However, personally, I prefer Bvlgari Aqua, for it is less woody, which suits my weather better.

Apart from this, if he had mentioned that he liked AdG, let's get Unbound by Halston for him. You can find that below $25 for a 100ml-bottle.
    Agree on both, Givenchy Blue Label and Halston Unbound. The latter smells very similar to Acqua di Gio, but it's way more affordable. I remember buying a big bottle (3.4. oz) for $9.99 at Marshall's.
    He may also like Unforgivable by Sean John.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Profumum Acqua di Sale would be considered more of a "niche" fragrance and more expensive and found at on-line retailers.
    Yes Aqcua di Sale is expensive but it is really an excellent aquatic.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Blog Entries

As a fan of aquatics of all kinds, my current faves are L'Eau par Kenzo < Herrera Aqua < Bulgari Aqua Pour Homme. They are all rather similar, but become less melony and more robust in that order. So if he likes light, Kenzo might be the one. Herrera Aqua (as a gift set with the deodorant) was on special at Perfumania recently, and might still be cheap. It's like Bulgari Lite to my nose.

Tech toys are great, but I like smelling modern when I play with them. Bravo for you for buying nerd-boy some fragrances. He's a lucky young buck.

Forgot to mention Chrome by Azzaro. If he likes Cool Water, he will most likely like this one as well ( you may also find a good deal on it ).

Bvlgari Aqua or Bvlgari Aqua Marine.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Blog Entries

Givenchy Incense Submarine.

fantastic aquatic, floral cascade...really refreshing stuff, and not really that common...but affordable!

Banned

Creed Erolfa. I can't think of a better aquatic scent under $80. I would recommend using scentiments.com as the other guy recommends. I'd be super careful before i buy any fume on ebay though.